Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to go 6-2 (10 wins for playoffs)

Duckus

6 minutes ago, kleese said:

I find the misunderstanding of the standings, tie-breakers, etc so frustrating. 

The reality is that the Redskins actually MADE UP ground in the playoff race today from several angles. 

I would be SHOCKED if 6-2 is required to make the playoffs. The NFC race isn't shaping up that way AT ALL. 5-3 will almost certainly get it done. 4-4 would also still be a possibility at 8-7-1, although at that point we'd probably need some pretty good fortune too. 

And we can't lose a tie-breaker to the Lions now. Or anyone else actually. Except for the Seahawks and Cardinals who also have a tie, we will not be needing to calculate tie-breaker sceanerios. 

Here is a fact: we entered the day behind the Lions in the playoff race. We ended the day ahead of them. We also made up a half game on the Bucs and Packers. The Falcons winning is no big deal because they are likely to win that division anyway. 

Let me put it this way... if we finish second in the East, I will be very very surprised if we don't make the playoffs. 

This talk of a tie being as bad as is just really dumb. No other word for it. 

I was gonna post the same thing.

Packers, Lions, Bucs, Cardinals all lost.

As of right now we're still the 2nd Wild Card team, and we'd actually be 1st if the Eagles lose to the Cowboys.

People talk like the NFC is full of powerhouses but it really isn't. 9-7 most likely gets you in as a Wild Card. I don't think we'll catch the Cowboys for the division anyway.

This Eagles-Cowboys game can be viewed either way. Again, with the tie, no need to worry about tie breakers anymore. In the race for the East it will all be about win total. If we finish with the same amount of wins, we win, period. 

So if Dallas loses tonight, we are tied in the win column with the Giants and one game behind Philly and Dallas. 

If you are thinking less aggressively and just want to focus on a WC then you'd probably rather see Dallas win and Philly stay at 4 wins. 

The tie today wasn't a terrible thing, I promise. It is exactly what it is... not as good as a win and better than a loss. 

All in all, we are in a big lump of teams in the NFC that all feel like they've got a shot at the playoffs. After an 0-2 start, I'll take it.

And you know this team knows how to win big games late in the season. If we're within striking distance in December you gotta like our chances.

Again this team should have 1 loss but it has 3 and one draw. That Detroit game was a killer. IMO

You want to make the playoffs. First off quit losing games you should win. 2nd defend your home turf and win out at home. Bears game is a likely W. If 10 is what you want then you've got to win out at home and find 2 road wins. @ AZ  maybe

It's good for us that Green Bay, Arizona, Tampa and Detroit lost. Would be nice if the Cowboys came back and beat Philly.

We have a shot, that's all you can realistically ask for. I mean other then the Patriots, nobody is truly elite. Even the Seahawks just lost to the garbage Saints.

Just now, sonofzorn187 said:

Again this team should have 1 loss but it has 3 and one draw. That Detroit game was a killer. IMO

You want to make the playoffs. First off quit losing games you should win. 2nd defend your home turf and win out at home. Bears game is a likely W. If 10 is what you want then you've got to win out at home and find 2 road wins. @ AZ  maybe

It's good for us that Green Bay, Arizona, Tampa and Detroit lost. Would be nice if the Cowboys came back and beat Philly.

That's bad logic because we could have also easily lost the Giants, Browns, and Ravens games. Welcome to the NFL where most games are close and are decided by a play or two. In that four game win streak we made the plays, the last two we didn't.

It could be flawed logic but it's my interpretation of the situation. I would argue that it wasn't that we didn't make plays. We made plenty of them. The execution by certain players in those losses can be called into question.

We are very much alive for a playoff spot. We can agree on that no matter who we should've or would've won or lost against. 

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

IMO... 4-3-1 better than 4-3. We basically control our own destiny (little early for that, but true). Last wild card spot 4-3, we're .5 game up in baseball world ;)

Problem is we controlled our own destiny last week and today as well.

We need help as always to win games.

Sorry but Dallas look very beatable. It was a good close game I guess but was hardly flawless, Eagles should have won that. We clearly need to blitz Dak a lot on thanksgiving (I think a lot of teams will realize that now).

I would need to look at their schedule before I make a confident prediction but I can't see them winning  13/14 games. The skins are still possibly good enough to get to 10 wins. Eagles are a pretty good team but if they lose to the Giants they go 0-3 in the division and 500. Not sure they can come back from that. 

13 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

I would need to look at their schedule before I make a confident prediction but I can't see them winning  13/14 games.

Dallas schedule: 

@ Browns: W (7-1)

@ Steelers: L (7-2)

Vs Ravens: Toss-up. At this point I'd say W, 8-2, but a lot can change in 3 weeks in the NFL. L puts them at 7-3

Vs Redskins: L (8-3/7-4)

@ Vikings: L (8-4/7-5)

@ Giants: W (9-4/8-5)

Vs Bucs: W (10-4/9-5)

Vs Lions: W (11-4/10-5)

@ Eagles: L (11-5/10-6)

26 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

^^ Dallas should be favored and I would pick to win every one of those games. Especially if Ben is still hurt or trying to come back from injury in a couple weeks.  Throw in 2-3 losses just because crazy **** happens and they are easily within 12-14 win territory 

That's if you truly believe they are what their record says. I don't see it being crazy that their second half of season dips. They have a great thing going in Dallas right now for sure. However nothing about that team is imposing or scary other than the offensive line.  

24 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

That's if you truly believe they are what their record says. I don't see it being crazy that their second half of season dips. They have a great thing going in Dallas right now for sure. However nothing about that team is imposing or scary other than the offensive line.  

I agree with this. They've won 2 more games than us. Are they the front runner? Yes. But Dak had a pretty bad statistical game and made a lot of awful throws under pressure. I could see them possibly caving as the year goes on. Dallas offensive  line didn't look good today and if teams bring pressure the way Philly did Dak can be rattled easily. 

8 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

IMO... 4-3-1 better than 4-3. We basically control our own destiny (little early for that, but true). Last wild card spot 4-3, we're .5 game up in baseball world ;)

It's going to essentially serve as a second bye and we'll generally be half-a-game up or down on teams. Our standing will be much more concrete as we won't finish with the same record as anyone in the NFC (outside of Arizona or Seattle). So, next week, if the Eagles and Giants lose (I'm writing off the Cowboys right now), we actually hop into second place. No ties, no worrying about divisional record or common opponents. 

Now, how long will this matter? I don't know - playing the Vikings, Packers, Cardinals, and Panthers along with our divisional rivals is going to make this a tough November/December. But this tie was much better than losing. 

Having said all that, it feels like we are so close to being good. I'm biased and love this team so much, but it really is starting to feel like we are going to become a good team...it's just a matter of when. In the past two weeks we were a couple inches away from winning two "road" games against pretty good teams. We missed out by an eyelash, but it really feels like we can start to put all this together. Maybe not this year, maybe not in time to make a playoff run, but with this core group of players. 

Archived