Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to go 6-2 (10 wins for playoffs)

Duckus

Looking at the schedule on paper, I could see them losing to Minnesota & Green Bay, but then running the table, to finishes 9-6-1.

Right now the team is too inconsistent for me to believe they will put together any kind of streak.

Despite the offense statistically being better than 2015, the two big things missing are downfield plays of 20+ yards and red zone efficiency.  If the season was only a month old, I'd say it could be fixed, but they have played half their games and it's still the same.

Also, I believe Dallas is indeed playing above their head, but it doesn't matter, they are 5-1. The Eagles also rebounded from the loss to us by beating the Vikings, so there goes another common opponent we have to beat for tiebreaker considerations should we not beat Philly in Philly.

It's really wishful thinking at this point.  Running the table to close the season is nice, but to ever expect to do it when you have a very inconsistent team? Eh......

I'm not holding my breath for playoffs.  probably not next year either, but things are actually looking up for once.  we look like a .500 team that is building properly.  I'm actually not scared of the tough games coming up, I'm looking forward to seeing us play good teams.

2 minutes ago, Dirt said:

I'm not holding my breath for playoffs.  probably not next year either, but things are actually looking up for once.  we look like a .500 team that is building properly.  I'm actually not scared of the tough games coming up, I'm looking forward to seeing us play good teams.

Good post. I'm not sure what it is (probably the 0-2 start) but I've never truly gotten my hopes up for this team this year. And it's not in a negative way...it's more that I understand where they are as a franchise at this point in time. Sure, they could get a bunch of great bounces in the second half of the season to win 5+ games, but I'm not really expecting that. 

I'm looking forward to see how they play week in and week out. I think they can hang around with most teams (the very upper crust of the league might be too much to ask), so it could be fun to watch this core gel together. If we keep competing, retain our key guys, and plug a few more holes I think we might turn this team into something over the next couple years!

I think the Green Bay and Arizona games will be as important as our division games. If Dallas beats Philly tonight they will probably be tough to catch for the division so we need to focus on the wildcard.  If we can steal either the Dallas or Philly game and then beat NY at home we go 4-2 in the division and will have the tiebreaker on Philly, most likely Green Bay and  Arizona will be contending for those 2 wild card spots which is why I think that's our season right there.

Easier said than done.

Big picture I like where the team is headed. It's obvious it is finally being built properly. Just because the resources were put into the offense a lot the previous offseason doesn't mean they won't be investing into the defense as much if not more during this coming up offseason.

I think when you are a team in the process of being built, a season like 2015 can give you the false sense that the trajectory from there will be non-stop upward line, but it's not the case.  A lot of circumstances went into the team's run last season and you can't replicate it every season.  The team was in a rebuild then, and it still is now.  The pieces are coming together, the signs of change are upon us, in another season or two this team will be legit.

I'm certainly not throwing in the towel on the playoffs, but, truth be told, I'm just happy that we'll be playing meaningful football into late November, and possibly December.  We don't appear to be having the post-playoff swoon that we did after making the playoffs on 05, 07 and 12. Long way to go and anything can happen.  It's also about when you play teams as much as how you play them.

Who knows how Minnesota will look in a couple of weeks?  Green Bay looked putrid up until beating an awful Bears team and right now they're hanging with a very good Falcons team, on the road.  Win our division games, win some other ones when we can, lets see where that gets us.  If we can manage 9-6-1 we'd likely make the wild card over 9-7 teams, if I'm not mistaken?  

Can someone explain why some of the posters on the board thing Dallas beating Philly is the better scenario?  I am not saying they are wrong, I am just wondering.  Is it because they think Dallas's 5-1 record has the division pretty much wrapped, and feel we need to concentrate on a possible Wild Card berth?  (That is my guess.)

If we can convert these red zone trips into TDs, we can definitely do it. 

If philly wins tonight, that puts us at 1 1/2 games behind first place right? Dallas should have still a few losable games left. Same with philly I think. In my opinion it's better if Philly wins tonight. I'd like it if both teams lose, but that's not possible. A tie perhaps? 

The big difference between 2015 and 2016 is in 2015, the division was there to be had with a late season run because every single team was doing poorly.  As it stands now, even a late season run isn't going to matter until Dallas starts a losing streak and the Eagles decide to trip up a couple times as well. 

14 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If we can convert these red zone trips into TDs, we can definitely do it. 

If philly wins tonight, that puts us at 1 1/2 games behind first place right? Dallas should have still a few losable games left. Same with philly I think. In my opinion it's better if Philly wins tonight. I'd like it if both teams lose, but that's not possible. A tie perhaps? 

right. the funny thing is that we're not that far off in the division, and we still have a winning record. if dallas loses 2 of the next 3 (the 2 PA teams). and we can win 2/3 (GB & DAL), we're ahead of them

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The big difference between 2015 and 2016 is in 2015, the division was there to be had with a late season run because every single team was doing poorly.  As it stands now, even a late season run isn't going to matter until Dallas starts a losing streak and the Eagles decide to trip up a couple times as well. 

The Eagles are a half game ahead of us and are 0-1 in the division, I think we have a better shot of sweeping them or winning the tie breaker vs them rather than Dallas. 

Dallas just rolled over the Bengals and kicked GB's ass at GB, only thing stopping them is injuries.

2 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

The Eagles are a half game ahead of us and are 0-1 in the division, I think we have a better shot of sweeping them or winning the tie breaker vs them rather than Dallas. 

Dallas just rolled over the Bengals and kicked GB's ass at GB, only thing stopping them is injuries.

Man, we really need Romo to come back... the only thing that can stop Dallas... is ROMO!

I think our schedule is pretty tough for the second half of the season, but I also feel like Dallas and Philly could both fall off quite a bit. Maybe Dallas starts Romo again? The league is catching up to wentz and if philly's D is having a bad game then they could have a tough time. Eagles still have to play Dallas twice, green bay, Atlanta, Cindy and baltimore etc. Don't sleep on NYG. tough division this year.

It's not going to happen. All this talk about "we haven't played our best football yet" is wrong. This is our best football. This is our ceiling, it's just who we are.

We're a mediocre team that can occasionally resemble competence but always shoots itself in the foot, usually in the most Barney Fife way possible. As I've said many times before, just go ahead and take away our bullet now before we put one in the floor again. 

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Can someone explain why some of the posters on the board thing Dallas beating Philly is the better scenario?  I am not saying they are wrong, I am just wondering.  Is it because they think Dallas's 5-1 record has the division pretty much wrapped, and feel we need to concentrate on a possible Wild Card berth?  (That is my guess.)

Yes that's it. Let Dallas have the division, we need all the Wild Card teams to start losing ASAP 

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It's not going to happen. All this talk about "we haven't played our best football yet" is wrong. This is our best football. This is our ceiling, it's just who we are.

We're a mediocre team that can occasionally resemble competence but always shoots itself in the foot, usually in the most Barney Fife way possible. As I've said many times before, just go ahead and take away our bullet now before we put one in the floor again. 

Yes that's it. Let Dallas have the division, we need all the Wild Card teams to start losing ASAP 

Dallas has 5 wins and people want to just give them the division? 

We're a .500 football team, it's as clear as day. In my opinion, we should have won the Dallas game, the Detroit game and should have won today. 

But we didn't.

You are what you are. A .500 football team. 

That's not the worst thing in the world. Plenty to be excited about right now, and hopefully with another 8 games under our belts, we'll really have something going into next season.

*Edit... Will happily eat a crow sandwich if I'm wrong. Still lots of football left.

Archived