Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to go 6-2 (10 wins for playoffs)

Duckus

10 hours ago, kleese said:

I find the misunderstanding of the standings, tie-breakers, etc so frustrating. 

The reality is that the Redskins actually MADE UP ground in the playoff race today from several angles. 

I would be SHOCKED if 6-2 is required to make the playoffs. The NFC race isn't shaping up that way AT ALL. 5-3 will almost certainly get it done. 4-4 would also still be a possibility at 8-7-1, although at that point we'd probably need some pretty good fortune too. 

And we can't lose a tie-breaker to the Lions now. Or anyone else actually. Except for the Seahawks and Cardinals who also have a tie, we will not be needing to calculate tie-breaker sceanerios. 

Here is a fact: we entered the day behind the Lions in the playoff race. We ended the day ahead of them. We also made up a half game on the Bucs and Packers. The Falcons winning is no big deal because they are likely to win that division anyway. 

Let me put it this way... if we finish second in the East, I will be very very surprised if we don't make the playoffs. 

This talk of a tie being as bad as is just really dumb. No other word for it. 

Excellent post.

I'll admit I'm usually a "glass half empty" fan, but I think the Skins are in decent shape for the playoffs right now.  9-6-1 will likely get them in.  And as you posted, that loss to the Lions is now slightly diminished because we don't have that tiebreaker thing hanging over our head.  On the flip side, it does make the game with Arizona later this season important (and I expect a loss there, so we need to start rooting against the Cards now).

They WILL beat the Vikings in 2 weeks and I think they have a better than average shot of beating the Packers.  If Lacy is still out, I like that matchup much more.  They pounded us with the run when they fell behind in that game and they can't run the ball this year.  Packers aren't the same team that beat us this past January at FedEx.

If I'm right, that leaves Skins at 6-3-1 and only needing to go 3-3 to make the playoffs.

Going 6-2 is not going to happen--and I am one of those people who get annoyed with the "rabble-rabble-rabble <pick one: Fire/Cut/Bench of coach/player>" after every negative play/game like we had yesterday and in Detroit. If I'm being honest--it's much more likely we go 0-5 in the next five weeks, than 5-0. There are a lot of pieces in place, we're just not there...yet.

28 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Going 6-2 is not going to happen--and I am one of those people who get annoyed with the "rabble-rabble-rabble <pick one: Fire/Cut/Bench of coach/player>" after every negative play/game like we had yesterday and in Detroit. If I'm being honest--it's much more likely we go 0-5 in the next five weeks, than 5-0. There are a lot of pieces in place, we're just not there...yet.

I think it's equally likely that we go 5-0 or 0-5...I don't see either extreme as more likely than the other. In fact, it could be said that since the Skins have already shown they can go on a 4-game winning streak this season, that going on another winning streak is more likely than going on a losing streak.

Middle of the road again is my estimate. I doubt we win out and take the NFCE, it would be nice but I am not getting my hopes up. But that is ok. These early McCloughan years are trying, but we are starting to see the benefits of his approach. Just hard being patient after it took Dan so long to get it.

20 minutes ago, RedBeast said:

Middle of the road again is my estimate. I doubt we win out and take the NFCE, it would be nice but I am not getting my hopes up. But that is ok. These early McCloughan years are trying, but we are starting to see the benefits of his approach. Just hard being patient after it took Dan so long to get it.

There is a big difference on how this team has been built the last 3-4 years--including Shan-Allen:

QB: Drafted(!!!!!)
OL: 4/5 Drafted
RBs: Drafted/UDFA
WR/TE: 2 big FAs; leading receivers drafted, Davis is a bargain and a half

DL: ....let's not look at this outside of the Baker signing which was a coup
LB: OLBs drafted, ILBs UDFA/Minor FA
CB: One major FA and draft
S: Only good player was drafted--otherwise a hodgepodge of minor FAs

We've done very well the last couple of years drafting and relying modest FAs rather than the shopping sprees of yesteryear. Our big FAs the last several years have been Garcon, Jackson, Norman...who am I missing?

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

There is a big difference on how this team has been built the last 3-4 years--including Shan-Allen:

QB: Drafted(!!!!!)
OL: 4/5 Drafted
RBs: Drafted/UDFA
WR/TE: 2 big FAs; leading receivers drafted, Davis is a bargain and a half

DL: ....let's not look at this outside of the Baker signing which was a coup
LB: OLBs drafted, ILBs UDFA/Minor FA
CB: One major FA and draft
S: Only good player was drafted--otherwise a hodgepodge of minor FAs

We've done very well the last couple of years drafting and relying modest FAs rather than the shopping sprees of yesteryear. Our big FAs the last several years have been Garcon, Jackson, Norman...who am I missing?

Skisn are actually a legitimate good drafting team, but its not all McC. Lets give some credit to Allen/Shanahan. Those two drafted: Cousins, Reed, Long, Williams, Murphy, and Breeland, among others.

Am I missing something here? Why do sites have us as the 8 seed behind all the teams at 4-3? Isn't 4-3-1 .5 games better than those teams? If 4-3-1 puts us below 4-3 teams, they might as well give both teams a loss when a game ends in a tie. Or does NFL.com have the rankings wrong?

2 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Am I missing something here? Why do sites have us as the 8 seed behind all the teams at 4-3? Isn't 4-3-1 .5 games better than those teams? If 4-3-1 puts us below 4-3 teams, they might as well give both teams a loss when a game ends in a tie. Or does NFL.com have the rankings wrong?

It won't be clear until we all play the same number of games..at that point, it'll be obvious if we're a half-game ahead or behind teams. For now, I think it's correct that we are slightly behind teams. 

The way I look at is this: It's taken us 8 games to win 4 and it's taken the Eagles/Giants 7 games to win 4. That's probably overly simplistic, but when I look at it that way, it makes sense why they are ahead of us.

Again, if the Eagles win next week, it'll be clear that we're a half-game behind. If they lose, it'll be clear that we're a half-game ahead. 

20 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Think winning percentage.

9 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

Excellent post.

I'll admit I'm usually a "glass half empty" fan, but I think the Skins are in decent shape for the playoffs right now.  9-6-1 will likely get them in.  And as you posted, that loss to the Lions is now slightly diminished because we don't have that tiebreaker thing hanging over our head.  On the flip side, it does make the game with Arizona later this season important (and I expect a loss there, so we need to start rooting against the Cards now).

They WILL beat the Vikings in 2 weeks and I think they have a better than average shot of beating the Packers.  If Lacy is still out, I like that matchup much more.  They pounded us with the run when they fell behind in that game and they can't run the ball this year.  Packers aren't the same team that beat us this past January at FedEx.

If I'm right, that leaves Skins at 6-3-1 and only needing to go 3-3 to make the playoffs.

I'll take the skins over the cardinals..and the panthers..packers,Vikings and bears.

IF the Redskins get their head out of their asses, and start scoring points when they rack up ridiculous amounts of yards and TOP, (the Bengals game was lost in the first half when they had the ball for 20 minutes, 250 yards, and only 10 points, regardless of the Hopkins miss in OT.  It shouldn't have even been remotely close), then there isn't a game on the schedule the 'Skins can't win.

Vikings - lost 2 straight, including last night to a very average Bears team.  Bradford is who we thought he was. 

Packers - 4-3.  They're just not that good, about the same as the 'Skins, and the game is at home.  Aaron is awesome, but they are more than beatable, as proven by the fact that they've lost 3 times.

@ Cowboys on Thanksgiving.  This is probably the toughest game.  Here's hoping it's the first game back for Romo. :)

@ Cardinals They are NOT who we thought they were.  3-4-1, and played Seattle to a 6-6 tie.  Their offense isn't close to as good as it was last year.  

@ Eagles Beat them once, this is going to be a tough game in Philly.  But winnable, evidence being that we've already beaten them.  And really dominated the game.

Panthers - they just snapped a 4 game losing streak.  They can't stop anybody.  Might be a tough game, but they can be beat.  

@ Bears - The one game on the schedule you SHOULD win.  They're going to be out of it by this point (no disrespect to the Bears, but they are 2-6, and unless they win the next 4, they're going to be out of it). 

Giants.  Winnable.  Evidence, they've already beaten them in the Meadowlands, which has been a house of horrors for this team for 40 years.  Even with the 'Skins were winning SBs, they rarely won in NY.

The Patriots are not on the schedule.  I think that just about any other team, the Redskins have a chance. They wouldn't be favored against about 50% of the teams, but there's no team on the schedule you look at and go, "there's just no way we are in that team's class." The best team remaining on the schedule is Dallas. And division games are always a toss-up.   

There's no reason this team CAN'T go 6-2.  And if they start scoring points, they could even do better.  BUT they have to stop with the stupid penalties, and start scoring when they are moving the ball.  Otherwise, they're going to end up 8-7-1, and it's going to be a disappointment.  

The interesting thing is Vikings, Eagles, Giants and Arizona have very good defenses but they would be going against our O which right now is clicking very well.  Their offenses are average at best which means our D might be able to be effective against them.  So really its strength against strength.

Now the rest of the games you could say our D will have some issues (especially the Boys and their running game) and that is why our offense will need to score a lot of points.

The Bears I consider it if anything a trap game, but it may not matter by that time.

Just thinking about how crazy wide open the NFC is this year.  If we somehow manage to get into the playoffs, we have as good a chance as anybody to win the NFC.  Atlanta and...Dallas(WTF) are currently the two best teams in the NFC, both of whom we can beat(should've blown out Dallas if not for Cousins worst game as a NFL QB).  

...But getting to the playoffs is gonna be a big ass IF.  

Archived