Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

O line and shuffling

Burgold

The guys did a great job shuffling and holding together. Our makeshift line really did well in holding off the Giants' free agent super defense. Long especially seemed to do fine at center. That said, and not knowing who comes back this week what would you like our line to look like? There's a part of me that would really love to see

Moses

Scherff

Long

Arie

Williams

I suspect Arie is not the first choice, but if that happened... our line would be all drafted players. That'd be pretty crazy! Now, if they could be all crazy and good that'd be even better :)

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure everyone knows Arie isn't good yet.

What would I like it to look like?

Trent, Long, Mack, Scherff, Ty.

But ya know......

I don't know that.  I watched him play all preseason and he played well.  He was blamed for getting pancaked when it was really Lauvao, that was the only bad grade I read.

The OP reminded me of something I posted last year...August 2015 when the lineup was murky at best.

My dream line-up, if Long could play C, I would do this:

LT- Williams

LG -Scherff (I'd rather he was a T, but...)

C - Long (could he win the job?  Licht is a smart player)

RG - Kouandjio - (best spot due to his power)

RT - Moses (gotta beat the rookie, but if he does...)

That would give us great size, and I feel it puts each guy at his best position.  Obviously it puts our youth all out there together, so it would happen over time rather than week 1.  

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

If Litchensteiger and Lauvao are out for Brown's on Sunday then start as we finished against Giants. 

Moses, Sherff, Long, Williams, Neske 

I don't know, TW did have some great blocks in the running game, but I think our pass protection really suffered with Neskhe at LT. I don't know who would play G, but TW needs to be at LT protecting Kirk's blind side.

9 minutes ago, Diesel Hog said:

I don't know about you all, but to me, the o-line looked better later in the game, after Litchensteiger got hurt.  Maybe that was coincidence that the run game got better, maybe the Giants were tired, I dunno, but our line seemed to play better as the game went on. 

Based on what happened last year after he went out, it was FAR from a coincidence. There's a reason we tried to replace Licht twice this offseason.

This will probably sound stupid, because it likely is, but....

What about adjusting the OL depending upon whom we are playing. With Trent playing guard, we were opening up some nice holes right up the middle. If we face a team with premier edge rushers, then we move Williams back out to LT.

I like Lich; he's an over achiever and is good at blocking in the 2nd level.  Long is still a 'phone booth' blocker but his advantages outweigh Lichtensteiger's in many ways.  First, is that Long doesn't need help in run or pass blocking with regards of a guard leaning over to doubleteam a defensive tackle.  Long should help in the run more so because we can now run more trap blocks as Lich tends to get pushed backwards.  Pulling a guard behind a surging Long will definitely open up lanes in the middle. Then the opposite guard can reach the 2nd level.  The north-south running game should improve as well as the slow battering of the opponents interior line and the middle linebackers. This should help our 4th quarter improvements in ball control and time-of-possession. I hope.

I like playing Trent Williams at LG temporarily if it is better for his knees/legs than dealing with speed rushers at LT.  Williams is so good that he can help both Long at Center and Ty Neskhe at LT when needed.  I'm have not been impressed with Kouandijo at G - his feet are so slow that the Skins have to eliminate screen plays from the offense and any running plays that require him to move at all.  I'm so bummed that the Skins were not able to pick that Center with their first round pick.  Or, to trade down to acquire players on the OL or DL.  Instead the Skins have a logjam at WR/TE without Doctson even playing (an Achilles injury on a WR is a double bummer). 

I think the Skins are going to have to add a roster spot for the OL -probably Hall's.

1 hour ago, Diesel Hog said:

I don't know about you all, but to me, the o-line looked better later in the game, after Litchensteiger got hurt.  Maybe that was coincidence that the run game got better, maybe the Giants were tired, I dunno, but our line seemed to play better as the game went on. 

It's not coincidence. It's too bad that injury forced our coaching staff to put Long in at C, but it needed to be done.

3 hours ago, Aireskoi said:

I don't know that.  I watched him play all preseason and he played well.  He was blamed for getting pancaked when it was really Lauvao, that was the only bad grade I read.

The OP reminded me of something I posted last year...August 2015 when the lineup was murky at best.

My dream line-up, if Long could play C, I would do this:

LT- Williams

LG -Scherff (I'd rather he was a T, but...)

C - Long (could he win the job?  Licht is a smart player)

RG - Kouandjio - (best spot due to his power)

RT - Moses (gotta beat the rookie, but if he does...)

That would give us great size, and I feel it puts each guy at his best position.  Obviously it puts our youth all out there together, so it would happen over time rather than week 1.  

Kouandjio and Moses next to each other would make the right side of the OLine mediocre as hell...Moses seems to have noticeably regressed from last season.

I think Long did a good job when he came in and Williams who had never played guard in his life handled it like the seasoned vet that he is, going forward it is going to depend on the healthy bodies we have. As far as Kouandijo if he is pressed into service I would prefer he be next to Trent think that would be best as far as support is concerned. Scherff is doing an excellent job and Moses has been disappointing thus far.

1 hour ago, MassSkinsFan said:

It's not coincidence. It's too bad that injury forced our coaching staff to put Long in at C, but it needed to be done.

Not too bad if it's what finally forces a coach's hand. Same things with Phillips getting hurt which was apparently the only thing that could make that moron Barry get him off the field 

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Our running game was bettet when Damon Harrison left the game. Huge blow to them 

Now I'm more concerned with the fact that Reiter signed with the Browns. We're insanely thin on the OL position.  Which is not good. 

If the injuries to Lich and Lauvou are out long term don't be surprised if LeRibeus is resigned. he knows the system and gives depth at both guard and centre.

I'd be stunned if they moved Trent inside, he is still one of the best 3 or 4 LTs in the NFL. I'd move Ty to guard before Trent. Long needs to start at C regardless of Lichs injury status, he just gives us a better anchor in the middle especially in the run game - his shotgun snaps are still an adventure though!

44 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Kouandjio and Moses next to each other would make the right side of the OLine mediocre as hell...Moses seems to have noticeably regressed from last season.

We disagree on Arie I guess?  I see him as a RG, and I see Scherff as a LG.  

I think it would help the run game all around.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The run game might be better with the new setup but in the future the pass protection will drop off without Silverback at LT. He hasn't allowed a single sack or even a single pressure through 3 games.

It would be madness to move him inside long term.

Archived