Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

O line and shuffling

Burgold

I know that Trent is a great LT, but I also know that, maybe by coincidence, when he was in at LG, we ran the ball with authority.  I think to keep people honest, and more utilize the future HOF-er we have on the OL, we should have TW in at guard several times during the next few games.  I was VERY impressed with his play at guard.

Of course, it shouldn't be a permanent move.

We need the numbers on Harrison's snaps. Did he come back? If he never came back in, then you can't really put any weight behind how much better the running game looked after Trent went in at LG, because he's their best interior run defender.

I have to mention this because of all of the DRAMA surrounding RGIII... Everyone here complained that the offensive line didn't block for him.  The dumbest statement you could possibly make but it was thrown around here A LOT.  That said, Kirk is in a contract year.  You would THINK the the front office would do two things to help.

1) Draft offensive linemen for better protection especially because we heard everyone say constantly that Kirk is their guy

2) Draft offensive linemen for better run blocking.  The running game is just as important and the Redskins can't seem to run the ball AT ALL this season.  I don't know if it's RB related or a combination with the O line but something just isn't right.

That being said, Kirk hasn't been placed in the best position with a patchwork offensive line and a terrible defensive coordinator as pointed out in another thread (Joe Barry vs. Baker).

Great thread, but why do so many of you list the offensive line either:

RT

RG

C

LG

LT

or RT - RG - C - LG - LT

?

One thing a lot of folks haven't mentioned (and I didn't even notice until I re-watched the game) is that Kirk got his ass whooped.  His hit count was in the mid-teens for that game.  Hopefully running the ball more will limit that.  Put some runs on film and then gameplan some PA pass into the sequence after that.

I'll also say that I'm shocked we haven't brought anyone in for a workout, unless I've totally missed it.

16 hours ago, KDawg said:

Disagree here. Any OL worth a salt knows pretty much all the line positions across the board.

Trent knows LG just fine.

I'm not for or against moving him there for awhile, either. I know a lot of people are saying you can't - but I say why not? But to the same token, I'm not sure I'd move him either. Just I don't see why he can't play LG for the time being while we find a halfway decent replacement inside. It's actually our best OL set up with him there for the moment. I think it's insane NOT to play him there... for now.

It's not a permanent move to make, to be sure... But temporarily I don't know why you wouldn't... Unless you find someone you are comfortable with playing LG. And only the coaches know the answer to that.

That's a strong statement. I've known lots of OL worth their salt who were never told to learn the assignments for the other positions. Personally I learned C and T because I was slotted as a starting C with potential to go to T if needed. But I never learned G. I could have, but never was asked to do so. I knew what they did and where they'd be on a given play but that was from experience and a very general knowledge, not anything specific.

Then there's the quote from Trent in this article:

“There was no discussion,” Williams said. “I wanted a little debate. I wanted to at least ask a couple questions, but it was a, ‘Hey you’re at left guard. You’ve got to do what you’ve got to do. We don’t have anybody else. … I only had 30 second to think about it and I just had to go (with) the flow.”

Despite the lack of preparation he had before switching to an entirely new position in a close divisional battle, Williams made a huge impact at guard. And that was no surprise to the coaching staff.

“[Nsekhe] is a tackle and we felt that Trent knows the offense and the interior part of it a little bit better,” head coach Jay Gruden said after the game. “[Williams] is a great tackle, but all three of those tackles are very good tackles. We just thought [Williams] was a more natural move to guard.” ...

Williams’ success is even more impressive because of the fact that he has never once been at guard in his entire football career. While most football fans don’t think about the difference between the roles on the offensive line, the change was a completely different look for Williams who has played all 87 career games in the NFL at tackle. 

“Never. Not one time. Not a one-on-one, not a practice rep – nothing,” Williams said of playing guard. “That was the first time in my life that I’ve played guard in a game. I moved to center one time in college, but never guard. It was tough. … It was extremely difficult. It’s a totally different game inside – definitely not what I’m used to. Luckily I didn’t do too bad.”

If he knows LG why was he hesitant? I'm guessing because he didn't have the assignments memorized. I couldn't find the article, but there was one that indicated he needed guidance from Long on his assignments, which I'd expect. 

I just think he's a dominant LT which is why I'd keep him there, but you may be onto something if you're looking at whether the others are so much worse at G that you'd just have to play him there.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We need the numbers on Harrison's snaps. Did he come back? If he never came back in, then you can't really put any weight behind how much better the running game looked after Trent went in at LG, because he's their best interior run defender.

He was in there for most of the 4th Quarter.

FWIW, that QB draw would've worked if Trent was able to put his block on lock.  That was 6.  And not just cause I called it in the game day thread, it was all blocked except for Trent's man. 

2 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

That's a strong statement. I've known lots of OL worth their salt who were never told to learn the assignments for the other positions. Personally I learned C and T because I was slotted as a starting C with potential to go to T if needed. But I never learned G. I could have, but never was asked to do so. I knew what they did and where they'd be on a given play but that was from experience and a very general knowledge, not anything specific.

Then there's the quote from Trent in this article:

If he knows LG why was he hesitant? I'm guessing because he didn't have the assignments memorized. I couldn't find the article, but there was one that indicated he needed guidance from Long on his assignments, which I'd expect. 

I just think he's a dominant LT which is why I'd keep him there, but you may be onto something if you're looking at whether the others are so much worse at G that you'd just have to play him there.

Trent said in his post game interview he had ask Long what his assignment was few times. He was laughing but very serious.

He is one of the best LTs in football. This move was completely out of emergency. Unless they have another emergency he will be back at LT where he belongs.

You guys are reading wayyyyyyy too far into my statement. 

When I say any lineman worth a salt knows the other OL positions, I don't mean to a tee and exact. They know where they're supposed to be and who to block, sure, but they will struggle a little with exact assignments (ie: where's my aiming point when I release on screen? I know it's somewhere near the hash, but is there a specific player?). And techniques are totally different.

But, in order For ANY OL to be successful, general knowledge of each man's assignment on any given play is paramount. 

Hence, why an all pro LT can move to LG and not miss a beat.

29 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Is Sullivan, with enough plays under his belt, a clear and obvious upgrade over Long/Kory? Thanks

It's not even close. But he comes from more of a power scheme.  I'm sure Callahan is breaking out the 40 year old scotch with this signing.

On 9/26/2016 at 9:34 AM, jschuck12001 said:

I've heard Doc Walker say that Ty can be as good as Trent, not sure if its true or how others feel about it but the fact is that when we made the adjustments all the sudden we were able to run the ball.

Yeah I heard Doc say that.

Jay in his presser said, that Ty is a Tackle.    And that of the other guys we could move that were tackles (presumably moses and Scherff), that Trent knows the offense well enough to work inside.

The old hogs here will remember guys like Grim, Jacoby, Bostic, there were several guys that moved around on those old hog lines.

BTW, I think when Trent went in at Guard, he looked at Ty and said, lets go maul some Giants.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

You guys are reading wayyyyyyy too far into my statement. 

When I say any lineman worth a salt knows the other OL positions, I don't mean to a tee and exact. They know where they're supposed to be and who to block, sure, but they will struggle a little with exact assignments (ie: where's my aiming point when I release on screen? I know it's somewhere near the hash, but is there a specific player?). And techniques are totally different.

But, in order For ANY OL to be successful, general knowledge of each man's assignment on any given play is paramount. 

Hence, why an all pro LT can move to LG and not miss a beat.

I agree.

As a whole you have to know what the guy next to you will be doing so they can coordinate without talking much. Otherwise, you'll have DL running free in the back field, because someone missed his assignment or missed what the guy next to him is doing.

Archived