Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YahooSports: Redskins coach Jay Gruden ditched post-op wife to sign Josh Norman

Jumbo

Cuz it's slow and we really don't do that much on Jay,  plus, it's just feel-good, and ya never get too much of that on ES.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/redskins-coach-jay-gruden-ditched-142100953.html

Jay Gruden's wife was hungry after she had surgery, and she was left starving as there was business to do.

Thanks to the patience of Sherry Gruden's stomach, the Redskins were able to land one of the top free agents this offseason — Josh Norman. MMQB took a deep look at the process behind the deal, and revealed a tidbit about the dedication Washington had to sign him. 

On at least two occasions on Friday afternoon Norman tried saying goodbye to Redskins brass, but the team would not let him leave the facility. Coach Jay Gruden’s wife, Sherry, was recovering from surgery, but even the coach wouldn’t leave to bring her home dinner until the deal was done. (“Luckily,” [defensive coordinator Joe] Barry says, “Sherry is a very understanding woman.”)

To be fair to the coach, he has been very active in his family's life, so his wife of several years was willing to let this go. In fact, in the early stages of Gruden's coaching career he was content being in the Arena Football League instead of moving up to the NFL because of his family.

"I liked my job," Gruden said in 2014. "I had a great time coaching in the arena league. … My wife was happy, my kids were happy, I was coaching my kids' basketball and football teams and really enjoying life. I really had no desire to up and move."

---and to digress for a moment into just general commentary because it's slow and there's no current Jay talk, most of you know of my history on the topic of Jay.  To me and everyone in Redskins Park and most here now I think, he gets a very solid slice of credit for our positive progress.

IMV, he's taken what already was a very competent skill set, knowledge base, and nfl-football overview combined with a great attitude/personality and good leadership qualities, and moved on up to the east side still doing what's he's done in his life so far---meeting the next challenge successfully and with style (good humor). My analysis is he will continue to raise his personal ceiling with acquired experience---he is not an example of The Peter Principle as NFL HC. We will see.

Does anybody else get the impression that this is more Scott's team rather than Gruden's?

Besides you, I'm sure there are. I'd  figure that there are some of course who still minimize/maximize whoever/whatever involving the two to suit existing bias. Others more neutral may still care about whose team it is "more", but I think it's an unproductive (among other terms) road to travel while being fertile ground for white noise. 

We do need Scot to be excellent at his job and Jay to be excellent at his. One is a GM,  and the other is an HC. And then at some point sooner than later, Barry and the other coaches, and then the players, all beg for being included in whatever the team's identity is going to be.

I think they're going for "professional and family" with a real chain of command that features the GM/HC as close to a equal partnership as possible.

GM roles are different in various orgs, but we do know Scot brings with him a team/org vision. We know Jay has his views on various aspects of a team, too, of course. We know that they have a great relationship, see eye to eye on a great deal and feel comfortable to openly argue (when those times come) in a positive manner. We know they respect and enjoy each other and have from early on. All good stuff. But we also know that on the field performance is the final arbiter.

Don't care about Jay's personal life.  I'm just happy the deal got done.  Now let's win. 

Well, many fans seem to care about (be at least somewhat interested in) the personal lives of members of the team as most people know. But it's awesome to know you don't and that you're happy we signed Norman and want to win.  :)   

Meanwhile, always love that internet guy who doesn't care about the topic ( the personal life thingy) but "has" to post it in the thread to let everyone know. :)  

Jay Gruden got my vote of confidence when he had the balls to sit RG3 and go to Kirk in season 1

Didn't he go to Colt in season one 2 games after returning from the injury? The only way Kirk even saw playing time in grudens first year was cause bob got hurt in week 2. I don't think Kirk saw any playing time after half time of the game against the Titans.

Well, many fans seem to care about (be at least somewhat interested in) the personal lives of members of the team as most people know. But it's awesome to know you don't and that you're happy we signed Norman and want to win.  :)   

Meanwhile, always love that internet guy who doesn't care about the topic ( the personal life thingy) but "has" to post it in the thread to let everyone know. :)  

Did I argue the contrary or put you down for the thread?  No. 

You gotta love that internet guy who goes 0-100 because he's clearly in his feelings.  :)

Did I argue the contrary or put you down for the thread?  No. 

You gotta love that internet guy who goes 0-100 because he's clearly in his feelings.  :)

My feelings? 100? 

I "feel" like casually rebuking certain things, sometimes. Sometimes I like to do a proper evisceration when warranted, but even then there's not much feeling.  :(  :D

I didn't suggest you did those things you're defending against, and I can tell you're missing things here that I'm not interested in pointing out. The "feelings" comment isn't just wrong, it's kind of stupid (among other things).

I was and am, however, brushing back the gratuitous smart-ass or trollish-dick shtick which has been so commonly associated with you that almost every mod over the years has asked "how is it this guy hasn't been banned yet?"   

We can be such a negligent lot.

I think there is a good comedy skit available here. John doing the play by play of jay leaving his wife in pain to sign Norman

Look at his focus and determination. He's the best ever at ditching his loved ones to help his team win

That should be SNL bound---hell, they ought to look to the nfl for more material, anyway.  :lol:

Does anybody else get the impression that this is more Scott's team rather than Gruden's?

if you mean does Jay ultimately report to Scot since he is the HC and Scot is the GM, then yes. It's Scot's team because he can fire Jay but the reverse can not happen. But the two clearly work very close and Scot respects Jay's opinion. They appear to me to share a common vision. Scot is working to give Jay the kind of players he needs that fit the mold of what Scot sees as the right locker room. But it's clear Jay has a lot of input to player decisions. As GM, Scot has final say. This is how functional organizations work. I know it's hard to see because it's been such a long time, but I promise it's there.

I can't even find the words to comment here (or really anywhere about Jay in general) because everything I can think of just makes me sound like an arrogant, pompous ahole.

But, you know what, screw you guys. Nananananaaaa... Told you so. Bunch of idiots. :D

I won't dress it up all nice like Jumbo. :P:lol:

This is Scot's team, sure. He's the GM, he's responsible for shaping the roster.

But by all accounts, Jay is working in very close proximity to Scot, and has done a lot with the coaching staff and the players. Credit should not be taken from Scot OR Jay, but rather distributed fairly.

Don't care about Jay's personal life. I'm just happy the deal got done. Now let's win.

As much as I don't really mind about how Jay lives his life when he's not coaching (he can do whatever he wants as long as it doesn't have any wrong impact on the organisation). I find it interesting and great that he can do such a thing and still have support from his beloved wife.

Mind you, women can have lots of impacts on men (good or bad btw). So knowing he's got support at home means he can fully concentrate on football without fearing his wife's ire coming back home is good for us.

An happy man at home is someone that works even better and harder.

So I tip my hat to Mrs Gruden. Thank you Lady :)

I think there is a good comedy skit available here. John doing the play by play of jay leaving his wife in pain to sign Norman

Look at his focus and determination. He's the best ever at ditching his loved ones to help his team win

Jay probably went to the Redskins film word afterwards to watch the video of his child being born. His wife probably sent it, but had someone insert Cats in the Cradle as the soundtrack to the video.

When you coming home, Dad

I don't know

but I'm sure we'll have a good time then, son

I'm sure we'll have a good time then.

This is Scot's team, sure. He's the GM, he's responsible for shaping the roster.

But by all accounts, Jay is working in very close proximity to Scot, and has done a lot with the coaching staff and the players. Credit should not be taken from Scot OR Jay, but rather distributed fairly.

It's just a guess but I got the vibe that having Scot has given Jay a little extra confidence in a good way. And Jay is Scot's kind of personality/football guy among other things so it all meshes well.  

Scot seems to trust Jay and vice versa. I am guessing Scot and Jay's personalities seem to mesh more than it did with Bruce.  Bruce comes off to me very corporate.  Jay and Scot to me do not come off corporate.  Jay and Scot seem to be emotional fiery types.  I thought it was funny in a recent interview Scot said he and Jay could get into to a degree in draft preparation where people around them say "are these guys going to get into a fight?".  Then, you got the story from Scot about how he wanted Crowder in last years draft, Jay didn't but he persisted and showed him tape until he was sold.  

I gather if you can disagree but still trust the process to play out well -- that builds trust both ways. The issue I think many had with Jay (to a degree me included but it wasn't my only thing) in his first year is if he is going to be stubborn and ditch plan A for what seems to be a less obvious plan B.  Plan B better work.  And arguably it didn't work in year 1.   But when the plan ultimately does work -- then the stubborn streak is considered a strength not a weakness.  In similar fashion if Scot's insistence on Crowder didn't work out -- then maybe the trust level wouldn't be as high.  But it did work out. 

The key is IMO if they have enough success amidst the inevitable hiccups that Danny stays out of it.

Archived