Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 6

PleaseBlitz

No actually the majority of this thread has been people complaining about the show, the producers, the author, and anyone who doesn't agree that the show is ****. Figure out how to ****ing read.

So funny when people get so upset over an Internet thread they need to start cussing. It's ok. Game of Thrones is amazing story-telling. You can sleep easy tonight.

So funny when people get so upset over an Internet thread they need to start cussing. It's ok. Game of Thrones is amazing story-telling. You can sleep easy tonight.

Nice deflection. I'm at work. Sleep isn't an option. Maybe you should take your own advice though. 

I for one really like this show. Probably my favorite show ever. It has been pretty slow at times but the boring characters seem to eventually become interesting. The acting is generally pretty good and the lore/mystery is top rate. the buildup of tension and execution of scenes is unequalled. With game of thrones we've had:

-Ned's death,

-red wedding,

- battle at black water bay

-Joffrey death,

-battle at the wall

- mountain vs Oberon

-johns death

I mean most series only have a couple scenes with that kind of intensity.

a lot can happen is this universe but we have mostly only heard suspicions of the magical things that are possible. It leaves the future of the series very open to interpretation at this point, and I like that.

E.g.

What is up with the white walkers? Why is the nights king so bent on destroying humans and advancing south. What caused them to be this way? Is it some sort of dark magic? Why do they leave Craster alone if he gives them male babies? this shows a level of reasoning. The nights confrontation with the wildlings and Jon snow shows a high degree of organization and intelligence. There has got to be a reason why they are the way they are.

The slow release of the books/series and the simultaneous popularity of the series has led to over analyzation by fans which has brought about some plausible show and/or book related theories, such as:

-the most common and most probable, r + l=j

-Tyrion being a targaryen, and the third dragon rider

-the ability of bran to warg a dragon

-jorah Mormont being azor ahai

-the "bolt on" theory

-dornish master plan

-cleganebowl

I'm excited to see what path is taken. The show seems to do a good bit of foreshadowing, and each scene seems intentional, which means there are a lot of loose ends to tie up. That's my only concern, that they'll leave a lot unanswered due to season restraints. In that case there will probably be a couple spin offs.

I think it's funny people who haven't actually read Martin's work are complaining about how he can't do storytelling.

I gotta agree. Not because the criticism is wrong in substance, but because it's wrong in terms of target.

This is the issue with trying to do a television show on massively large books. George Martin does not write every episode; at most he pens one a season. He has provided essentially the foundation and skeleton upon which this show is built off of, and the over arching plot threads are his creations, but the execution of them within the show itself...including adding things and removing others...is ultimately not a matter of his doing.

If anything, if you wish to toss out venom towards the television issues, it would likely be better aimed (at least in equal part) upon Benioff and Weis.

Strangely enough, one of the complaints about the television show could apply to the books if you just looked at it broadly, but fails when you go into specifics...

The whole "Adding a bunch of new people this late into it" could be a criticism of both. However, the people largely being added for the Television Show in Season 6 by D&D are actually ones that Martin had introduced multiple books earlier. And the ones that Martin ended up adding to his most recent books are, by and large, people who haven't even showed up (and likely won't show up) in the show.

I don't exactly agree with much of the criticism the resident curmudgeons are tossing out, but I can get where they're coming from. But it's simply aimed at the wrong target by focusing so much on this being a "Martin" problem.

My main issue with the complaints (and I don't mind people pointing out some issues here and there as long as they don't go on endless repetitive rants mocking the show) is that I think some people want the show to be something it's not.  

It's always going to have a lot of characters and various view points and some drawn-out plot lines because it's an epic fantasy/political intrigue drama.

Also sometimes it's hard to tell where the story is going because it hasn't got there yet and not every character is where they need to be for something exciting to happen, and that requires some adding and shifting of plot-lines to take up slack in the meantime.  Some of that turns out great...others not so great (although personally, I loved last season and thought some aspects of the show were the best they've been, I can see why some did not). 

I think it's kind of unfair to compare it to a show that has a few main characters and a tight plot, because Game of Thrones will probably never be that kind of show, nor is it meant to be.  

What Game of Thrones revels in is world bulling and introducing characters that seem unimportant and then later on become much more important, as well as dropping little hints all over the place that may seem insignificant at the time, but you later realize were building up to something else.  Also building people up to have them fall tragically...and sometimes come back from that fall with bloody vengeance (although we haven't seen as much of this, I think we will see more soon.  I have a feeling that will be a big theme this season)

I too liked Season 5 ... there were certainly ups and downs ... and that was no clearer than one of the fanboy sites' recent episode ranking for all 50 ... I think half of season 5 fell in the bottom 10 and half were in the top 10.

This season is going to be glorious. If the people on here complaining right now are still complaining at the end of Season 6, then they're just the most picky, whiny TV viewers a

I honestly don't care at this point who ends up on the Iron Throne, if anyone does. My complaint is not a "Get to the end" type of thing.

My complaint is that a lot of the characters I liked are dead and the remaining characters I like have been stuck in boring storylines forever.

To me, this show is at its best when it takes two interesting characters and puts them in a situation where they bounce off each other. Arya/Hound....Arya/Tywin.....Tywin/Emma Peel....Tryrion/Bron.....Tyrion/Littlefinger.....Tyrion/Joffrey.....Dany/Drogo.....Jamie/Capt Phasma.......Jon Snow/Redhead Wilding.....Sansa/Littlefinger. Sometimes let these storylines go on too long, but at least the underlying chemistry made it interesting.

Right now, I can't say that I'm too psyched for any of the pairings. 24-year old Bron/Yoda....Blind Arya/That assassin who was once cool and has really overstayed his welcome....Tyrion/all the boring people in Mereen....and God help us - Lord Friend Zone/Dany's Boyfriend.

Obviously, there's a chance for these storylines to become good. (I'm actually weirdly looking forward to whatever Sansa is going to be up to, but I was in the same place last year and got burned there).

I just think that we've hit the point where too many interesting characters are dead, and we're kind of left with the dregs.

Like....I wanted Joffrey to die, because I hated Joffrey the character. I want Ramsay to die because I'm tired of stories involving Ramsay.

I'll be honest: Tyrion has done nothing interesting since the scene where the bisexual knight promised to fight for him. That character really drives the show and he's been stuck in neutral forever. (His escape from prison and subsequent killing spree were weirdly flat, I thought. Since then, he's been a bit of a human McGuffin).

I'll be honest: Tyrion has done nothing interesting since the scene where the bisexual knight promised to fight for him. That character really drives the show and he's been stuck in neutral forever. (His escape from prison and subsequent killing spree were weirdly flat, I thought. Since then, he's been a bit of a human McGuffin).

I don't know, I think you're underscoring Tyrion's killing of his father --- also Tyrion was paired with Varys, Friendzone, and Dany last season. Personally, I thought his journey was awesome in Season 5.

I also think GoT will be one of those shows that will be even better when it's all out and can be binge-watched. I personally think a big reason for the frustration is we are now going on 5 years ... and while each season is great in its own right, they're also only 10 episodes long and we have to wait 9 months between seasons ... if one were to sit down and watch Seasons 1 through 5 (as I recently did with my wife in the fall) in a span of a month or so ... I think you're criticisms are reduced. That's the case with most shows, but GoT does take longer to develop characters and move story lines, which I feel is more impactful when viewed in succession v. over the course of 5 years.

I honestly don't care at this point who ends up on the Iron Throne, if anyone does. My complaint is not a "Get to the end" type of thing.

My complaint is that a lot of the characters I liked are dead and the remaining characters I like have been stuck in boring storylines forever.

I just think that we've hit the point where too many interesting characters are dead, and we're kind of left with the dregs.

I'll also side with you here. Arya's story-line has gotten bland. As did Dorne. As has Dany in Essos trying to rule. As are the Greyjoys. But those are all structural issues in the books as well (I know, you don't care). The show has done a good job eliminating and narrowing down story-lines. Martin called it the "Myrenese knot" --- for context --- he originally planned to skip 5 years between the events of, basically, Season 3 (Red Wedding) ... and most of the events that unfolded in Season 5.

For whatever reason, Martin had issues with the 5 year gap and scrapped it. That forced him to stall a lot of plots in order for others to catch up and for everything to get into place for the conclusion to take place. For all intents and purposes, I think that was what most of Season 4 and the first half of Season 5 was about. Getting everything back on track. No one knows how this story will end, but I think we've "suffered" through the boringness of the plot lines. I think we're now at a point where things have to and will move forward. Yes, the above plots seem boring and stalled. And I'm sure there will be a little more of that in Season 6 (especially if we are going 8 seasons here) ... but I really hope (and trust) that Season 6 will start to unfold in dramatic fashion now that we've pushed through the source material that had held it up. Once we get to the ending, the journey will hopefully make a bit more sense. Yes, we will probably have spent a season or two too long at the House of Black and White and in Mereen --- but it's necessary to have those stalls to allow the other arcs and characters to flow properly with the overall story.

If Benoif and Weiss had included everything from the books (believe it or not, there was more fluff and more characters and more sidetracking --- enjoyable but did get old) --- this show would have needed 15 episodes per season or to go 10 seasons. Each book chapter is a character POV. They've done an incredible job IMO of taking it from that format and weaving it into a story-line that isn't so bouncy, if that makes sense. The books also never reference time ... it's up to the reader to determine how much time has passed. That's a lot harder to do on TV with so many plots unfolding simultaneously. It's an art to weave it together like they have. I think the criticism is warranted with ONLY show material as reference, but without the context of the source material --- it's misguided.

/rant and preparing for the wrath of LKB

I couldn't put down the first three books, and the last two were ...meh.   I still read them, i still even like them overall, but they were a struggle.   I actually thought that the show did a relatively great job cleaning up and focussing the mess of the last two books.

I couldn't put down the first three books, and the last two were ...meh.   I still read them, i still even like them overall, but they were a struggle.   I actually thought that the show did a relatively great job cleaning up and focussing the mess of the last two books.

Agree.

Last season did it's best in regard to the weak material it was based off of. Of the season (which I still thought was very good, per usual), only the Dorne catastrophe really stood out in terms of weakness. The highlight of last season, Hardhome, was an event that wasn't even in the books. It was created for TV, and it was spectacular. But it was born from a shortage of compelling material to put on TV.

A few complaints here about Arya's story being boring. And it was... For most of last season. Then she went full on assassin and killed the **** out of that knight who had been on her list. The end of her storyline last year was awesome. I think we're through the dregs and she's ready to take off

But to visionary's point above, she had to go through this journey to reach being a badass faceless man

Personally glad for once the book isn't out before the season airs. Tired of losers posting spoilers everywhere possible. I've had several things in GoT spoiled for me ahead of time and it really ruins the experience. No, I didn't go reading through a book thread or anything like that. It's literally any thread on any site discussing a recently aired episode and within 5 posts some troll is dropping spoilers because mommy didn't hug him enough.

I hope the book doesn't come out until after the season has aired.

Assholes on Facebook just randomly spoiling stuff.

Even if he died today, that series would be completed. The publisher will just hire someone to finish it. The sixth book is pretty much done anyway.

Anyway, who do you think dies this season? My top 5 are:

1. Roose Bolton

2. Ramsay Bolton

3. Tommen Lannister

4. Sir Friend-zone

5. The entire Night's Watch

Even if he died today, that series would be completed. The publisher will just hire someone to finish it. The sixth book is pretty much done anyway.

1. Roose Bolton

2. Ramsay Bolton

3. Tommen Lannister

4. Sir Friend-zone

Pretty good guesses. None are truly main characters though ... And most of those would be "nice"

1. Roose Bolton

2. Ramsay Bolton

3. Tommen Lannister

4. Sir Friend-zone

Friend zone is dead,. Greyscale will kill him.

The Born prince who was going to marry the hot Lannister daughter who was murdered by the kiss, I think he's actually on the ship with Jaime. He's going to get a haircut.

Friend zone is dead,. Greyscale will kill him.

The Born prince who was going to marry the hot Lannister daughter

I think you mean Dorne, not Born. :lol:

I don't recall him being on the ship. I'm re-watching season 5 right now, but haven't got to that point yet.

1. Roose Bolton

2. Ramsay Bolton

3. Tommen Lannister

4. Sir Friend-zone

These seem like obvious answers, but I mostly agree. It sure looks like the Night's Watch will cease to exist. It's in full mutiny mode right now, and surrounded by thousands of wildlings that seemed to at least respect Jon Snow. With the realm in chaos, I wouldn't be surprised if they all abandoned their post. The trailer shows a Giant ripping through the giant gates at Castle Black. I hope he curb stomps Alliser Thorne's smug face.

These seem like obvious answers, but I mostly agree. It sure looks like the Night's Watch will cease to exist. It's in full mutiny mode right now, and surrounded by thousands of wildlings that seemed to at least respect Jon Snow. With the realm in chaos, I wouldn't be surprised if they all abandoned their post. The trailer shows a Giant ripping through the giant gates at Castle Black. I hope he curb stomps Alliser Thorne's smug face.

Sidenote: I believe the Dornish Prince who was betrothed to Cersei's daughter demanded to go with them, so he should be on the ship. 

My idea about the Night's Watch dying is a bit more epic, I think that Wall is coming down this season. Probably in the last episode or second to last, I think the White Walker army is going to attack and the Wall will come down. Killing the few Night's Watch who are left setting things up for the next season, where Westeros will finally have to deal with the walker threat marching south. 

Sidenote: I believe the Dornish Prince who was betrothed to Cersei's daughter demanded to go with them, so he should be on the ship. 

My idea about the Night's Watch dying is a bit more epic, I think that Wall is coming down this season. Probably in the last episode or second to last, I think the White Walker army is going to attack and the Wall will come down. Killing the few Night's Watch who are left setting things up for the next season, where Westeros will finally have to deal with the walker threat marching south. 

that would not suck

Archived