Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 6

PleaseBlitz

All this time I thought you dorks were talking about Dungeon and Dragons

Man I hate the Internet sometimes

Sorry about that, I thought there might be confusion so I eventually put David and David and what their positions were. D&D is the nerdy abbreviation that the Internet likes to do with things and make abbreviations out of everything so you were actually half right to be honest.

That's why HBO runs the marathons. Not that people have time for that but at least they try.

This is a show you need to watch at least twice. Especially if you haven't read the books. I re-watched with my wife before last season and it helped immensely. Even as a book reader and someone who had watched S1 and S2 twice already.

Sorry about that, I thought there might be confusion so I eventually put David and David and what their positions were. D&D is the nerdy abbreviation that the Internet likes to do with things and make abbreviations out of everything so you were actually half right to be honest.

I prefer to call them Beniweiss.

Recap for those who are confused:

Dorne: The south --- ruled by the Martells --- Sand Snakes are the **** daughters of Oberyn, who was the younger brother and Prince to the crippled guy, Doran --- who's son, Trystane, was also murdered --- their youngest sister Ellia was married to Danny's older brother Rhaegar --- and she and her two children were killed by the Lannisters when they turned on the Targaryans in favor of Robert Baratheon and stormed the city. Hence Oberyn's Season 4 obsession with revenge. Also, Dorne for all intents and purposes seceded from the kingdom, and because of their isolation, made it easy to do.

North/Winterfell: Starks and Boltons have dominated the North for years but the Starks put down the Boltons a few hundred years ago but always were united against anyone invading the North. Roose took an opportunity to turn on the Starks to return Boltons to rulers of the North.

Eyrie: Aryns --- the little cripple boy and Cats sister --- married to the old King of the Hand for Robert and "father figure" to Ned and Robert growing up

Riverlands: Cat (Tully) Stark's family --- located between Kings Landing and the North --- included are Cat's uncle the Blackfish and brother Edmere who we haven't seen since the Red Wedding but are presumed alive

Stormlands: Baratheon homeland before taking the crown from Targaryans

Dragonstone: Targaryan ancestral homeland (at least for the last few hundred years after they came over from Valleria) --- where Stannis started the series --- also where Dany was born before having to escape to Essos when Robert came to power. Located off the east coast between Westeros and Essos.

Oldtown: Tyrell homelands --- borders Dorne and Casterly rock areas and is located on the West Coast

Casterly Rock area: Lannister land --- located north of Tyrell territory and west of the Riverlands

Iron Islands: Boring pirate people who have been reeving the lands for centuries and never really part of mainland Westeros, but were brought into kingdom by the Targaryans --- rebelled against Robert right after he came on --- were squashed by Ned Stark, hence why he took Theon as his "ward and prisoner" --- the heir to the Iron Islands --- to punish the Greyjoys for rebelling.

Did you have a cigarette after writing that? I know you have been holding back for three years. I'm sure it felt good.

Seriously...don't care about the books. If you spend all year comparing the books to the show because you are now free, I'm going to burn your crops and salt your fields.

Was anyone else perturbed that the fist 10 minutes of this 57 minute episode was a season recap and credits?

This was literally the first time I've ever had the show end and thought, "Wait....that's it....."

Between the endless recap and giving three minutes to pretty much every character in the cast short of Hot Pie, that felt like a very long preview video.

I do have hope for Dany's storyline because I liked that new Khol dude, but I feel like the "Everyone underestimates the pretty blonde until she does something awesome" scene is a little overplayed at this point. Plus, she feels further away from Westeros than ever now....which is kind of incredible.

Maybe it's because they are literally off script now. Or maybe it's because we are in season five and the show can't be surprising any longer, but I feel like I can predict the next big story beats from a mile away now.

Arya is suddenly going to block that stick because she "hears" now. I know this because I've watched a lot of martial arts films.

All is going to seem lost for our heroes (none of whom whose name I know aside from Davos) locked up in that room at the Wall...until a giant smashes someone. Having Davos involved gives this storyline some gravitas though, I do think. Just like having Brienne involved with Sansa makes sense. Both those characters are capable, honorable worker bees desperately looking for someone worthy to follow.

Ramsay is totally going to murder his dad's fat wife....and quite possibly his dad. Not sure that I would tease my psychopathic son like that.

I do have hope for a new assertive, possibly badass Sansa. Which probably means she's going to get rape by a White Walker pretty soon.

I honestly can't remember anything else. I like Varys and Tyrion together. Can't say I'm enthused about watching them try to run Mereen. Mereen could fall into the ocean at this point, and I wouldn't care.

The Xena spinoff in Dorne, I guess, is going to continue. Or maybe not. They really wouldn't introduce a power struggle in Dorne featuring totally brand new characters, would they?

Man I read so many great fan theories about how Doran was involved in some super secret plots and plans to destroy the Lannisters from behind the scenes. The weak crippled man was just for show so people would underestimate and not suspect him while he pulled off the most amazing long con in the history of Westeros. He was just acting weak and not avenging Oberyn and Elia because he had some awesome plan already in motion from around the time after Elia had died so acting out after Oberyn died would blow all the carefully positioned pieces he had set up over decades. So I was very disappointed to find out he was nothing more than a weak crippled man it seems.

This right here is a great example of why, while similar, in a lot of ways the show and the book need to be viewed as separate entities and that some of the slings and arrows hurled at "Martin" are more aptly aimed at Weiss and Benioff.

The entire storyline with Doran is significantly different in the book and the show.

You're absolutely right. In the show, he's shown to be nothing but a spineless and naïve buffoon with keeping her and a snake so close after betraying him once before.

I would've loved to see that actor portray a Doran that was more in line with his book counter part (the intensity in a few scenes last season showed the potential for it), who is arguably a schemer on the level of Varys/Littlefinger/etc.

Was anyone else perturbed that the fist 10 minutes of this 57 minute episode was a season recap and credits?

Yeah. It was extra noticeable because of the short show run time. Had it ran for a full hour it'd have been fine, but the 50 minute total run time that includes a hugely long recap was a bit annoying. I get why they did the long recap and it makes sense, but then don' t skimp on the actual episode

Did you have a cigarette after writing that? I know you have been holding back for three years. I'm sure it felt good.

Seriously...don't care about the books. If you spend all year comparing the books to the show because you are now free, I'm going to burn your crops and salt your fields.

Hah oh come on. That was a simple recap of the various locations and characters as gleaned from watching the series now 3 times. Yes I read the books but I finished them in 2011 and haven't re-visited. And have since watched the show 3 times through. I'm a show guy now. And all that I put up there is show based stuff!

It was also kind of tongue in cheek.

This right here is a great example of why, while similar, in a lot of ways the show and the book need to be viewed as separate entities and that some of the slings and arrows hurled at "Martin" are more aptly aimed at Weiss and Benioff.The entire storyline with Doran is significantly different in the book and the show.You're absolutely right. In the show, he's shown to be nothing but a spineless and naïve buffoon with keeping her and a snake so close after betraying him once before.I would've loved to see that actor portray a Doran that was more in line with his book counter part (the intensity in a few scenes last season showed the potential for it), who is arguably a schemer on the level of Varys/Littlefinger/etc.

Yup, at this point the tv show to me is just an alternate time line where different results caused different things than what's happening in the books. LBK has it right though, since the show has blown through so many storylines and parred things down so much in terms of characters and story, it seems like most things are predictable sort of like how The Walking Dead has become. Not everything, but the unpredictable stuff we get is Doran being a complete nobody and then killed off along with his son. It's seems more like deaths for shock value rather than deaths with good meaningful story telling behind them. I guess they just didn't have the time and/or budget to do anything much with Dorne.

Not trying to say the show is bad, I'm still enjoying it but I'm very interested to see where it's going and how the next few episodes are.

I had honestly forgotten that the crippled dude had a son and that was the guy who was going to marry what's her name. I also had to rewind that scene to figure out where the hell it was taking place.

Everyone realizes that the Sand Snakes are just characters out of some kind of mid 70s drive-in movie, right? I feel like the last piece of dialogue in every scene of theirs should be "Let's go take a shower."

Frankly, it was a mistake to make them sisters because that - kind of - precludes them from making out with each other a lot. Though on this show.....

I also read quite a few theories about how Melissandre always wore the necklace because it was a glamour so at least some people nailed that theory.

I'm not so sure about the whole Necklace being a glamour thing.

I noticed that the necklace did start to glow as she was taking it off but there was also a closeup of a potion on her stand that looked to have been used.

Then there was the bath scene from season 4 when she was talking to Mrs. Stannis B (forget her name). She wasn't wearing the necklace then and... still red lol.

DVYvgIC.jpg

I don't think it has anything to do with the necklace?

oh and I was having a poor, stupid, ****in' Sansa moment as they are crossing that frozen river and she's whining. The alternative is to get shreded by rabid dogs and returned to your rapist husband. Yeah, the water's really cold. Suck it up. Stop whining. 

I'm not so sure about the whole Necklace being a glamour thing.

I noticed that the necklace did start to glow as she was taking it off but there was also a closeup of a potion on her stand that looked to have been used.

Then there was the bath scene from season 4 when she was talking to Mrs. Stannis B (forget her name). She wasn't wearing the necklace then and... still red lol.

Mrs. Stannis was named Selyse.

The glamour thing could be a show oversight. It certainly appears that, based on last night's episode, removing her necklace seems to reveal Melisandre's true self.

There's a theory going around that Melisandre is actually an old character named Shiera Seastar, who was a 100+ year old character who stayed young by absorbing the souls/life force of others.

Mrs. Stannis was named Selyse.

The glamour thing could be a show oversight. It certainly appears that, based on last night's episode, removing her necklace seems to reveal Melisandre's true self.

There's a theory going around that Melisandre is actually an old character named Shiera Seastar, who was a 100+ year old character who stayed young by absorbing the souls/life force of others.

Please share theories about someone I have never heard of.

Because I love that sort of thing.

War in the North . . . Night's Watch/Wildlings vs Army of the dead

War in the North 2 . . . Boltons vs the rest of the North or vs Lannisters coming up from the south?

Danaerys has to come over the Narrow Sea at some point or else that's been one giant plot hole.

War in the South . . . Lannisters vs Dorne. Lannisters are broke, leaderless attacking bunch of crazy fighters on their home turf. 

Concerning Melisandre, she looks totally defeated and absent of her faith. Much the same way Thoros of Myr was when he gave Beric Dondarrion the kiss of life.

Ohhh nice.

I just went and watched the scene where she met Thoros of Myr and he explained what happened in that situation.

Definitely seems like a similar situation.

You also get annoyed when people mention show stuff that you don't remember. But you aren't alone on that one.

Only when I think it's book stuff.

And if you give some minor character's first and last name, I assume you are talking about the book, because no show viewer knows everyone's full name.

Like Dany's boyfriend. The one who wants to see her conquer the world.

I have no clue what that dude's name is, and if you told me they recast that role again, I would believe you. Seriously, is that the same guy?

I'm going to test myself:

Wall: Davos Seaworth

Dead Jon

Ghost (he's the wolf, right? Or was that Robb's wolf?)

Thorne? (The head mutineer)

Ollie (The little prick)

Um...Jon's friend who went to the Wildings

The big red headed Wilding. (Or is it Wildlings with an "l"?)

Melissandre - the red woman

Winterfell

Ramsay Bolton

Roose Bolton

Fat Walda

Sansa

Theon

Brienne

Podrick

Hey....I think that's everyone! Go me.

Beyond the Wall:

Bran

One of the two wonder twins. No idea which one or what the name is.

Is Hoder still with them?

The three eyed raven, who is neither a raven nor has three eyes. Discuss

Dorne

The sand snakes and their mom. I have no idea what any of their names are.

Dothraki

Daenaryus

Jorah

Her boyfriend

Khol Something or other. It didn't stick. He is Khol Not Drogo.

Mereen

Tryrian

Varys

The Hot Translator

Grey Worm whom I think is still alive, but I could be wrong

The Sons of the Harpy

Probably someone else.

King's Landing

Tommen

Cersei

Jamie

Margery

Margery's brother...um...Lorax? No...Loras! Ha! I remembered! (I think)

The High Sparrow

Lancel

The Mountain

Q-bert

Pycell

Lady Olena? Oleana? Organa?

Bravos

Arya

I'm pissed for forgetting the assassin's name. It's like the name Shaq would name one of his kid's, right? Like a J with an apostrophe somewhere.

That chick who keeps kicking Arya's ass.

The hot queen's dad, still, I guess. Lord Tyrell! Ha! I remembered the last name.

At large:

Littlefinger

Walter Frey

Rickon

Theon's sister whose name I'm totally spacing on

Archived