Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"You’re gonna understand, when we put our pads on, we’re coming out there to hurt you."

SkinsHokieFan

I get the skepticism because it really does feel like every few seasons we're all running around in the off-season going 'this is different this is different finally!', and then within 1-2 seasons we're already looking for the next big fix.  On the other hand, we were right to be excited for the Shanahans because that was working out incredibly well until the... unpleasantness.  I'm optimistic on Scot, my biggest fear right now is this coaching staff.  I'd have preferred the GM come first then the HC but things didn't shake out that way.

Don't you know he's no good to us? He's a 4-3 DE for chrissakes! He doesn't fit here... whaah... :rolleyes:

On a slightly more serious note, I don't man-crush much at all but I swear when Scot talks, I can feel it move!

Lol, Scot is definitely easy to root for and enjoyable to listen to.

You know, I forgot to mention this, but another interesting comment Scot made in this interview was when he said that, going into this draft, they identified 7 players in each round they thought would have an immediate impact on the team. He said we came away with 6 of those guys.

I wonder who they are? Interesting to think about. I'm thinking it's pretty much our first six picks, lol, but I wonder. Like, if one of them is Tevin Mitchell or Kyshoen instead of Kuandjio or something.

As for Preston, I hesitated to compare them at first like others did before I really looked into it, but he really is a lot like Aldon Smith.

Watching some of the highlights on YouTube for Aldon and you see he doesn't really speed rush off the edge, ever, even when lined up there and in obvious passing situations. He uses his hands amazingly well, is a force moving forward and thus causes the Tackle to move back into the QB, has a great swim move, and will line up anywhere.

It's exactly what Preston Smith has done in college. A lot of people were down on Fowler because he did a lot of the same as well (lining up everywhere and rarely just exclusively speed rush off the edge)... But the reason the entire NFL is so high on those guys is because they're so versatile and can be effective in any spot.

Somehow that's taken as a knock on them and I don't get it. I think there's a place for a guy who can excel as an edge rusher who gets by on speed mainly, but a lot of the times those guys are one-dimensional and when facing a good Tackle have a tough time being effective since there's no surprise as to what they're going to do.

We saw that with Orakpo here, and I'm an Orakpo fan so I don't mean it as a major criticism. But it's why Rak had so few game changing plays and would disappear for games. I have a tough time seeing Preston as having the same issue.

I don't believe teams were going to play soft until they read this, but why give anyone any extra motivation.

As a fan I love the idea of being bad-asses, and I don't hate the talk from Scot, but I wouldn't do it myself.  Just do it in-house. 

Yep. Tough isn't said, it's done.

You know, I forgot to mention this, but another interesting comment Scot made in this interview was when he said that, going into this draft, they identified 7 players in each round they thought would have an immediate impact on the team. He said we came away with 6 of those guys.

I wonder who they are? Interesting to think about. I'm thinking it's pretty much our first six picks, lol, but I wonder.

I love Scot so far but I wish he didn't say stuff like this. It's just asking for people to keep a headcount of how many draft picks didn't make an immediate impact and sway their opinion of him.

It's obviously implied, you think all your picks are going to succeed but maybe not invite the criticism in so early. It's just setting himself up for failure and backlash if he whiffs on a few.

I don't know, i don't think its a big deal or anything just something small. Perhaps it just goes to show how confident he is which can be a good thing as well.

I need to see tangible improvement (like the Caps have shown this year) to fully buy in.

I totally understand your hesitation to completely buy in, but you have to admit (or not) that Scot makes us feel like the team has a definite future. 

I don't have any expectations about the team being really good or making the playoffs this year, but I do feel that in the not-to-distant future the team is going to win and do so consistently.  And it's all because an actual GM is in the house. 

This really does feel different.

lol was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor?!!!...HELL NO!!!... n' it aint over now!!! Who's with me.....

I totally understand your hesitation to completely buy in, but you have to admit (or not) that Scot makes us feel like the team has a definite future. 

I don't have any expectations about the team being really good or making the playoffs this year, but I do feel that in the not-to-distant future the team is going to win and do so consistently.  And it's all because an actual GM is in the house. 

This really does feel different.

yes...i haven't felt this good about the direction this team is heading in a very long time...

Don't you know he's no good to us? He's a 4-3 DE for chrissakes!  He doesn't fit here... whaah...  :rolleyes:

On a slightly more serious note, I don't man-crush much at all but I swear when Scot talks, I can feel it move!

I like the cut of his jib...I love his moxie...it feels to me authentic and sincere...

I love Scot so far but I wish he didn't say stuff like this. It's just asking for people to keep a headcount of how many draft picks didn't make an immediate impact and sway their opinion of him.

It's obviously implied, you think all your picks are going to succeed but maybe not invite the criticism in so early. It's just setting himself up for failure and backlash if he whiffs on a few.

I don't know, i don't think its a big deal or anything just something small. Perhaps it just goes to show how confident he is which can be a good thing as well.

Yeah, I was surprised when he said this as well, so I see where you're coming from... honestly, though, it was refreshing to actually hear a GM not just simply give a PC answer for once.

You know, a common argument that serves as an attempted refutation of those of us who point to Scot's words that he picked BPA is that "all GMs will say that" or "everyone says they got their highest ranked player or the guy the wanted"... something along those lines.

That comment right there is some strong evidence against that line of thinking, that's for sure. Gives me enough reason to take what he says at face value, at least for now.    

I know this sounds pretty evil, but does anyone else feel that rooting for THIS team is not such a good move for a recovering alcoholic?

I mean...I know its a bit ****ed up, but after a few games of the last couple of seasons, I would so not blame anyone for drinking. Large amounts. Misdemeanor crimes are ok, even. I would understand.

Ok Ok, nevermind. This team is going to hurt people, Scot. All of us.

:P

I know this sounds pretty evil, but does anyone else feel that rooting for THIS team is not such a good move for a recovering alcoholic?

lol, I secretly worry about this. For reals. And we know Dan likes to drink his sorrows away, especially when we lose (as indicated by the Shanahan-courting story while Zorn was still HC as well as the article last year about his advice to Jerry Jones). Not a very good influence to say the least.

Hopefully he does a good enough job where this doesn't even have to be a concern at all.  

For the naysayers or at least the "let your actions' talk" people:

This is the time of the year where McCloughan better feel good about his draft picks or free agent selections. Not a single rookie has practiced, he's vetted all the tape on the free agents... if he doesn't feel positive than I'd be really worried. What do you want him to say/feel when he does these interviews that he has to do?

"I think I blew half of our picks. Man, I suck and have no confidence in myself! Our players are going to get trucked and people are going to put a hurt on us next year!  We had a plan, but couldn't execute any on it!  I was throwing darts, but think I not only missed the dart board, but the whole side of the barn!  Doomed!  Doomed, I tell you!"

Stop whining about positivity. Belief is an important part of winning too. Whining is not.

Ha! Go get 'em Burg

IMO the difference now is that we have a genuine football guy that has occasion to say **** in the press, as opposed to others that were "marketing" mentality guys that tried to talk football. I'd much rather have Scot just speak his mind and let people figure it out than someone trying to spin the message.

............. What do you want him to say/feel when he does these interviews that he has to do? ...................

You've nailed it right there Burg'.

It's not like he's making a voluntary proclamation that we're the best team in the league and are definitely going 19-0. He's answering questions in a presser in a positive manner, while reinforcing his desire for the team to be more physical.

The difference between something like this and other talk that has come out from sources on our team is that, not only is this "when" a GM should be "talking," but also, SM actually backs up this claim, thus far, so saying it right now, makes sense.  And, what he said, doesn't take it "too far."  Saying we are going to "hurt you" when we play is pretty much the lowest level of respect you can give a football team.  All it means is we are going to play tough.  

And, based on his FA and draft, he actually accumulated pieces that can do that, this is not empty talk.  This is also where overall in a large sense his fine detail responsibility over the players he accumulated gets transferred over to the coaching staff. But, the players he accumulated so far in the offseason back up his claim.  The major players in the secondary come from the NFC west, he got Pot Roast, he got Paea, he got Scherff, Smith, Jones, Kouandjio, big, physical players.  So, from a GM perspective, he actually backs up this very small claim.  And his FA pickups were at anywhere between good and perfect prices. 

The only thing I don't like if I am giving "equal" critique to him and say RG3 is using the word "hurt" could be used against him in a soundbyte media environment.  But luckily, his claim of being a physical team has kept that word from taking a life on it's own (so far) since being a physical team is about as small of a "guarantee" as you can make.  Adding in the key, I might add, corollary that we aren't going to win every game was a necessity too.  The specific details in media talk matter, because it's part of the actual profession. 

I haven't been this pumped up since Pepper Rodgers was almost the coach.

Lol

Man -- I'm just about at full on man crush stage with Scot.  He talks like a passionate coach,....love it.  I just hope this all resonates with the coaching staff and the players,..I'm sure it will.  I'm content to wait 3-4 years if it means we'll be build like a true, championship caliber NFL team.

But luckily, his claim of being a physical team has kept that word from taking a life on it's own (so far) since being a physical team is about as small of a "guarantee" as you can make.

One thing I'll give Scot though is that we've heard the "we're going to be physical" line in the past, but this is the first time we can look at a draft and honestly say "oh yeah, definitely."

Not a single fearful blocker/tackler in the bunch.  Especially the defenders.  Spaight, Jarrett, and Mitchell, my gosh, their highlight videos look like a WWE Smackdown highlight reel.  On offense everyone is a willing blocker too, right down to little Crowder, who just bowled over Deshazor Everett to clear a RB lane to the endzone.

Like, these draft picks are guys who I truly and honestly can see living up the "physical" description.  That's not to say we haven't had physical guys in the past, but nothing to this extent.  2-3 more years of physical drafts like this, if he can add 3 or 4 starters each draft, and we'll have a defense full of hard hitters and an offense where anyone (probably even the QB at this rate) can block effectively.

One thing I'll give Scot though is that we've heard the "we're going to be physical" line in the past, but this is the first time we can look at a draft and honestly say "oh yeah, definitely."

Oh yea I totally agree. If he said this after say, our off season last year, I'd say it's just talk...Almost every player we got this offseason actually backs up what he said in theory.   Not that our offseason last year was bad necessarily, but just a frame of reference about what it really means to accumulate "physical" players to the point where saying this recent quote actually means something substantial. 

Archived