Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"You’re gonna understand, when we put our pads on, we’re coming out there to hurt you."

SkinsHokieFan

I think it's fine to get excited about things as long as we understand that, barring one of our QBs taking a big leap forward, the turnaround won't happen all at once. I think most ESers DO understand that.

While I agree that a quick turnaround is unlikely... At this point, I wouldn't be opposed to a Trent Dilfter Ravens-style defense gonna hurt you Superbowl. Sure, it'd be great to have a QB leading the way, but if the team is tough enough he can go along for the ride.  Football is never a one-man sport.

While I agree that a quick turnaround is unlikely... At this point, I wouldn't be opposed to a Trent Dilfter Ravens-style defense gonna hurt you Superbowl. Sure, it'd be great to have a QB leading the way, but if the team is tough enough he can go along for the ride.  Football is never a one-man sport.

Wilson and Kaep haven't set the world on fire or carried their teams anywhere. GMSM has built teams that carry themselves and the QB just needs to manage to help out.

I know it's going to take a few years to really get the whole thing together but I sure as hell would settle for a team that just didn't embarrass itself. 16 games of not being a laughingstock would equal progress to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the skepticism because it really does feel like every few seasons we're all running around in the off-season going 'this is different this is different finally!', and then within 1-2 seasons we're already looking for the next big fix. On the other hand, we were right to be excited for the Shanahans because that was working out incredibly well until the... unpleasantness. I'm optimistic on Scot, my biggest fear right now is this coaching staff. I'd have preferred the GM come first then the HC but things didn't shake out that way.

Everyone keeps saying Gruden is not a fit with McCloughan but if that was the case I don't belive Scot would come here.

They both share one important philosophy; big players who can manhandle opposing teams. Its a start and at least shows they are on t he same page in some respects. I would like to see what the pairing of Gruden and McCloughan can do which means more than one year together.

As someone else mentioned, Gruden needs to find his own QB. He needs to be able to bring in his own guy.  It wouldn't be fair to judge him until he can do that.  

So we blame the QB if Gruden fails to make the Redskins a better team.....right?

If he gets his own QB, can all of the other players can suck until then and he still be coach without judgement?

As someone else mentioned, Gruden needs to find his own QB. He needs to be able to bring in his own guy.  It wouldn't be fair to judge him until he can do that.

I disagree. It would be completely fair.

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons Gruden got the HC job was he probably convinced Snyder and Allen he could return Griffin to top-flight QB form.

I can't see the Redskins bringing someone in and the first thing he says to them is "Well, I got to get rid of Robert Griffin".

I mean, considering the investment they put into Robert.

True, he didn't select Griffin, but I believe his assurances that he could return him to form is one of the things that got Gruden hired.

If he fails to do so, well, it will be on him, to an extent.

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons Gruden got the HC job was he probably convinced Snyder and Allen he could return Griffin to top-flight QB form.

I can't see the Redskins bringing someone in and the first thing he says to them is "Well, I got to get rid of Robert Griffin".

True, he didn't select Griffin, but I believe his assurances that he could return him to form is one of the things that got Gruden hired.

SkinsGuy is right. Also remember we just went through that some years ago, where Shanny stuck his reputation on Beck (amazingly not brought up in any of his call ins) as a guy good enough to run his system......that ended well.

We have what we have at QB and Jay knew that coming it. Also it is extremely hard finding YOUR guy these days at QB that you need really more luck then Skill to come away with a quality starter. Quality QB play (consistently) is tough to find these days and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

SM basically laid out the road map for Jay in that we're going to run first, be a bruising team and we're looking for consistent rather than explosive QB play to help us win. Much like how the Seahawks and 49ers won games of the past several years. That likely not be how Jay wants things to be or how he wants to win but there are only 32 of his positions available. Now that we have a strong GM if Jay doesn't want to get on board with that SM is going to be looking for a new coach sooner rather then later (something I hope doesn't happen honestly).

Wilson and Kaep haven't set the world on fire or carried their teams anywhere. GMSM has built teams that carry themselves and the QB just needs to manage to help out.

I disagree. I believe Wilson has been the missing piece of the puzzle for the Seahawks. He's played far better than I ever thought he would. Kaep...not so much.

"You’re gonna understand, when we put our pads on, we’re coming out there to hurt you."

Coming from the top down. It's a great philosophy. He's not making a ridiculous claim or guaranteeing a championship. He's emoting everything a lot of us have wanted for a very long time. A physical team that competes every down.

Some might call it ear candy, and I wouldn't completely disagree. We've had other 'saviors' that came before SM and failed. Thankfully large, bruising physical lines are the foundation for successful teams, and if all SM succeeds at is installing that culture and power before being run out of town, then we're still better off than we have been in recent past.

How the hell did this get turned into another RG3 thread?

They all do. 

"Hey, I broke my arm wading through the swamp looking for Bigfoot last night."

"Well, you're just as fragile as Griffin.  And what are you doing traipsing around the swamp.  You should be at home studying your...whatever, like Griffin should be studying his playbook."

How the hell did this get turned into another RG3 thread?

While no one wants every thread in the Stadium to turn into a Griffin thread, he is going to be the main talk on the boards, the main thought in our head, when it comes to the Redskins in the offseason.

No matter how big the o-line gets, no matter how attacking the defense is, no matter how physical this team gets, Griffin's play is at the crux of the Redskins' fortunes, whether he is here or not after 2015.

Meaning, if he plays great this year, then fine, they have a QB. If not, then this team is in limbo until it does find its QB, no matter how much the rest of the team improves.

It's important, no matter how much we try and avoid it in threads. :)

Um I think it was more like this..."We have RG3, we gave up a lot to get him, you can have the job if you can work w/ him and make him better."  I think Gruden was on board up until that Baltimore pre season game. That's when he realized just how far away Griffin is to being a good QB.

There were a few more coaches out there probably more ready to be a HC than Gruden, but he was more willing to go along with Snyder and Allen. They could control him.  And that's fine, a lot of organizations hire who they're comfortable with, and not maybe the best qualified guy. Or a guy who won't make a lot of waves.

In the end Gruden took the job knowing the set up and it was life changing money. But you simply can't judge him 100% until he gets his own QB in here. I personally don't think he'll make it back for 2016 as Snyder will get impatient after a 5 or 6 win season.

Lastly, it's time to move on about the Griffin investment talk. Snyder and Allen I think are loyal to him almost to a fault. He's been benched twice in two years for poor play and he's handed the job again w/out competition.  That was a management call. To me the draft picks are now waste and it's time for competition across the board. 7 wins in two years should mean competition across the board.

Um I think it was more like this..."We have RG3, we gave up a lot to get him, you can have the job if you can work w/ him and make him better."  I think Gruden was on board up until that Baltimore pre season game. That's when he realized just how far away Griffin is to being a good QB.

There were a few more coaches out there probably more ready to be a HC than Gruden, but he was more willing to go along with Snyder and Allen. They could control him.  And that's fine, a lot of organizations hire who they're comfortable with, and not maybe the best qualified guy. Or a guy who won't make a lot of waves.

In the end Gruden took the job knowing the set up and it was life changing money. But you simply can't judge him 100% until he gets his own QB in here. I personally don't think he'll make it back for 2016 as Snyder will get impatient after a 5 or 6 win season.

Lastly, it's time to move on about the Griffin investment talk. Snyder and Allen I think are loyal to him almost to a fault. He's been benched twice in two years for poor play and he's handed the job again w/out competition.  That was a management call. To me the draft picks are now waste and it's time for competition. Not just at the QB position but at almost all positions.

Bryce Harper was once considered overhyped because he was always hurt.

Robert Griffen did not accidentally win Rookie of the Year.   Any athlete who had two knee surgeries (both left and right knee...yes, they had to go into one knee to graft the other knee) in the same year will tell you it only the rare athlete (cue AP) who can come back and be like they didn't miss a beat. 

Robert will be just fine. 

Robert is still the best player on the squad.

Archived