Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"You’re gonna understand, when we put our pads on, we’re coming out there to hurt you."

SkinsHokieFan

I think it's great when a speaker can motivate you -- McCloughan's presser was uplifting, because you can feel the passion there; and you are assured there is a plan in place. You take comfort in the fact that this GM has had success with other franchises, and that he believes it's possible in Washington too. What's not to like?

I also keep in mind that we're nearing that time of year, when the marketing of the team must begin in earnest. The fan-base must be energized, and feel good about their team's improvements -- in the front office, in the coaching ranks, in the free agent acquisitions, in the draft, and in the team's character and team culture. I expect some rah-rah, even though the truth of the situation won't become evident until the regular season starts in the fall.

Still, I don't mind the GM touting a mindset and team philosophy about playing really hard and being competitive. That's an important first step. The Skins need to escape from that self-preserving (loser) mindset that was starting to take root in the last year of the Shanahan era. And after the team finds the right players who can can commit to playing really hard --as a team-- they'll be able to take the next step which comes after proving they can 'effectively compete' with their opponents. ...And that next step is, finishing them off!

I also keep in mind that we're nearing that time of year, when the marketing of the team must begin in earnest. The fan-base must be energized, and feel good about their team's improvements -- in the front office, in the coaching ranks, in the free agent acquisitions, in the draft, and in the team's character and team culture. I expect some rah-rah, even though the truth of the situation won't become evident until the regular season starts in the fall.

Yes, it's the time of year to energize the fanbase. We've heard it all in these parts, but it seems that Scot has more than a vision. He's establishing an identity that this team badly needs. Let's hope it comes to fruition on the field and that he's not just saying what we all want to hear just to get us pumped. There's a definite mancrush developing here.

Looking back at the Hogs and the Fun Bunch, I remember when our team had a true identity. I sincerely hope that Scot can develop a winning attitude like those guys had. Going a bit farther back, the Redskin's Special Teams were an identity that started with George Allen and continued into Gibbs 1.0. I think they called them the Wild Bunch for a while. This team needs an identity and it looks like Scot is trying to create one.

Now they have to prove it on the field. Words are just words. Nicknames are earned. Let's hope Scot's ehdeavors eventually pan out and an identity is established that makes us all proud to be Redskin fans again.

The new identity won't happen overnight. There are too many holes, too many obstacles and too many mistakes on the field. This was a 4 win team last year. Let's give Scot a couple of years and not call for his head when we go 6-10 this year. It feels good to have a real GM.

Air. Land. Sea.

Offense. Defense. Special Teams.

To truly dominate an opponent? We must control all 3 areas, as well as have a single team acting and working together in unison (players and coaches). Once we are in the top 20% in all three areas and are truly "a team?" Then, and only then, we will be perennial contenders.

We are not there yet.

Just my two cents...

EDIT: IMO? Mission statements are typically highly distilled versions of an Executive strategy; a corporate mantra so to speak. I think GMSM has both vision and strategy (approach) and has basically said our mission statement is: That win, lose or draw? The Redskins are gonna punch you in the ****ing mouth (and you will remember us on Monday and for future games).

HAILelujah! :)

SM's words were uplifting and I am excited to see if the level of play improves.  Lol, I didnt expect him or anyone else to say "we'll come out and be a mediocre team. You know, just getting pushed around on the line of scrimmage and milling around in the secondary." 

You know, for those who've known me here for a long time, I've changed a lot on the "homer" front. I think healthy skepticism is not only warranted, but absolutely necessary at this point with the Redskins under Snyder. Anything else would be blatant denial, really. 

So with that said, I still think there is way too much downplaying here of what Scot has done. Yes, he's saying things many in the football community like to say and, yes, it's all on paper so far... however, no one has executed like he has, even if it is just on paper, in terms of following the mission statement. 

I mean, to make it easy to prove this, let's compare this year's acquisitions with last year's since it's fresh on everyone's minds.

We can look up and down Scot's acquisitions this year and you can't find a single "finesse" player or even a single player not known for their grit and toughness. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them is known for it. Knighton, Paea, RJF, Culliver and Goldson in FA and we all know the draft picks all have that attribute.

If they're not big brutes (Sherff, Preston, Kuandjio, Jones, etc...), even the smaller ones like Crowder and Spaight still play like they are; willing to block, tackle and run through tackles with no fear.

Now let's look at last year. Hatcher is borderline. No one will say he's soft, for sure, but he was known more for his ability to pass rush from the inside than anything else. DJax? Great WR, but everyone knows he's an unwilling blocker and he's not going to look for contact after the catch. Andre Roberts? Again, you wouldn't call him soft, but he's not known for his physicality, either. Lauvao? A bigger Olinman, but he was known to "let off" as a run-blocker, especially at the second level. Very few pancakes on his tape.  

You could argue out of that entire FA class, only the cheap LBers we brought in for Special Teams were really all about physicality and toughness. 

As for the draft picks last year, out of the eight additions, Trent Murphy, Breeland and Spencer Long may be the only guys known for their toughness, but even Trent came in needing to bulk up. Morgan Moses was never considered a "mauler" and was known to have issues run-blocking as well. Look at what the NFL.com draft profile said about his weaknesses:

Does not breathe fire -- plays smaller than his size in the run game and does not seek to bury defenders.    

Now tell me where you'd find anything remotely close to that statement being said about any of Scot's acquisitions this year?

Just for accuracy, the other draft picks of 2014 were Ryan Grant (good route-running, finesse WR), Seastrunk (didn't want to play ST other than as a returner, didn't want to pass-block), Bolser (more of a pass-catcher at TE, not known for his blocking) and Hocker (a kicker).

I could go back every year, and the difference is extremely clear. Scot's "mission statement" or "vision" isn't just words, and to make it out like it is totally downplays what he's done so far.

I mean, just for fun, let's look at the 2013 draft picks.

Amerson (big CB, but questionable physicality. Had major issues coming out in the tackling department, also was known to have issues playing press, more of a zone guy), Reed (excellent pass-catching TE, soft and lacks durability, poor blocker), Phillip Thomas (physical, in the box Safety, can say he's tough), Chris Thompson (smaller finesse RB, lacks durability), Brandon Jenkins (lacks durability, more known as a speed edge rusher than a tough LBer), Bacarri Rambo (soft Safety, poor tackler, plays small, lacks aggression), Jawan Jamison (big, physical RB). 

So arguably just two out of the eight picks (Thomas and Jamison) there.      

Now, don't get me wrong, this isn't stating that all of his moves are going to pan out... what I'm trying to get across here is that it's okay to feel good about what he's done so far and it's okay to accept that he's actually executing on his talk, more so than anyone we've had here in a long time. If none of these players pan out, it'd be a surprise, because everything about them says "football players" so far in their careers. They might not be superstars, but you know they're not going to get out-physicaled.

T.S.O -- that was an awesome post.

Just as Skinfan57 highlighted some pertinent elements in one of the paragraphs of my May 10th post, pertaining to the traditional preseason publicizing of the team's competitiveness -- you really enhanced what I was trying to say in my concluding paragraph of that post. And I hope that concluding paragraph adequately communicated my sense that we WERE seeing a shift from "stylishness" to "substance."

I believe McCloughan will be showing there's a better way to bring in fans to the stadium, rather than what was done in the past. Rather than some flashy hiring, or bringing in a famous (and often declining) football personality -- McCloughan is going back to the basics, and laying a foundation for a '100% hardball' type of football performance. No more Haynesworths, Deion's, McNabbs, Jeff George's, or Bruce Smiths -- instead you're going to see a team built up the old-fashioned way with hard-hitting competitors , building up from the Olines, D-lines and Special teams and upward.

I welcome the change McCloughan is trying to bring in the mindset of the team and in the corporate culture as well. It's time to roll up the sleeves and compete with a 100% commitment to winning, rather than just trying to look good on paper. And as for LeRibeus, Amerson, Chester, or other under-performers expecting a starter's job based on draft position or past history -- they should know there's a new bunch of team-mates who plan to fiercely compete on every play, for every advantage and who could supplant them, if they don't raise their game quickly.

And that this same type of competition is also implied for coaches, support personnel, or scouts as well!

I feel like McCloughan and Gibbs would have been a good GM -- HC  marriage. 

Can we lure him back from racing for a 4 year stint?

I'm pretty sure Gibbs could succeed with anyone.  Guy was here during Vinny and managed to get to the playoffs twice.

Man isn't a legend for nothing.

But the key now is, we need to find Scot his Gibbs.  Will Gruden be it?

Next couple years should be fun.

Gibbs is gone. Need to find the next great HC, and thus the real SM challenge presents itself. I don't believe Gruden is that man. He may help improve us, but I seriously doubt we are going to be consistently top 10 team with him at the helm. IMO...

But I do believe he has coaches in mind ;)

Gibbs is gone. Need to find the next great HC, and thus the real SM challenge presents itself. I don't believe Gruden is that man. He may help improve us, but I seriously doubt we are going to be consistently top 10 team with him at the helm. IMO...

But I do believe he has coaches in mind ;)

Maybe by then Harbaugh will want back in. Now THAT would be something.

I felt, and still somewhat feel like, if we didn't fire Gruden after year 1 on the basis of a failure to develop RGIII, then we ought to keep him 2-3 more years at least.

It's not really fair to him to toss him out the door after 2015, seeing as if none of the QBs on our roster are successful, he should be given a chance to find HIS QB.  He wasn't getting that in 2015's draft (unless Halliday turns out to be a secret superstar...I'll avoid holding my breath on that one), so he was going to need 2016 or 2017 to get HIS guy.

However, that was before we hired Scot.

With Scot in house, I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps him on for 2-3 years, but for different reasons.  Scot's going to need 2-3 years to build this team up, at least.  Even if we got, say 4 bona fide starters from this draft and several more role players, we're still another good draft or two from being legitimate contenders.  As a result, why bring in the coach you actually like, and watch him fail with poor talent such that his job is in jeopardy, when you can just do that with the current guy.

If Gruden succeeds, great, keep him.  If he doesn't he's the appetizer tiding us over for the main course coach.  Though exactly how Scot plays it, we'll have to wait a few years to see, most likely.

^^ This has exactly been my feelings on the anti-Gruden stuff, DOW. It's not that I really believe in his abilities (not sure I can accurately assess them in anyway), or that I think his past success is a guarantee for future success in a larger role...

It's more that I don't want to see yet another coach come in here and have to suffer through a poorly structured organization that was more about individualistic ambitions corrupting proper delegation of responsibilities than about team-building with one goal in mind.

I'd like to see Gruden have a chance to be in that environment for a little bit and, if he fails, let the next guy come in to a nice situation that highlights his strengths.

^^ This has exactly been my feelings on the anti-Gruden stuff, DOW. It's not that I really believe in his abilities (not sure I can accurately assess them in anyway), or that I think his past success is a guarantee for future success in a larger role...

It's more that I don't want to see yet another coach come in here and have to suffer through a poorly structured organization that was more about individualistic ambitions corrupting proper delegation of responsibilities than about team-building with one goal in mind.

I'd like to see Gruden have a chance to be in that environment for a little bit and, if he fails, let the next guy come in to a nice situation that highlights his strengths.

I think it will take alot more than Gruden to bring the team together on the same page.  He gives me the 'quiet in the background' feeling, not a take charge coach that everyone looks up to.  Its already a hairy situation with the QB issues, a fanbase which is divided on who they support for the starting position, an owner who has favorites, and so much physical work to do on offense.

I'd like to see him pull it out, but I just don't see him as being the answer. If the team is struggling around the 3-11 area, I think there will be a change at HC. Patience is a rare event in the NFL these days.

Another reason why this statement might have value.

Sports are pretty binary. You win or you lose. Winning is good and almost all the time losing is bad, but for a team that's been on the downside for a long time sometimes you need to break the steps down.  So, while the objective is always "Win the Super Bowl!" maybe you need some micro-goals along the way.

Maybe that's what this is.

The Objective is to win.

First step along that path... we will play tougher than you. We will tackle hard, block hard, run hard.  That's a step that each player can understand and achieve. Winning is a team thing. Hurting or playing tough is an individual thing. It gives you a standard to live up to and pursue.

I may be overthinking this though :)

As someone else mentioned, Gruden needs to find his own QB. He needs to be able to bring in his own guy. It wouldn't be fair to judge him until he can do that.

I agree with the first sentence, less so the second. I believe you can take out the QB situation and the wins/losses and still find plenty of material to judge -

Is the team disciplined? Is he treating the players fairly? Is he handling the media properly? Is he doing a good job delegating? Are his coaching hires paying off? Is he addressing areas that need addressing? Are his players responding to him? What's his work ethic like? Does he lead by example?Etc.

Honestly, as down as I was on Gruden at the end of the season, he seems to be making strides in many of the above areas, causing me to move my meter to "wait and see" mode and bringing a tinge of optimism that he could have a hand in turning the team around.

Archived