Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"You’re gonna understand, when we put our pads on, we’re coming out there to hurt you."

SkinsHokieFan

Some of ya'll seem pretty jaded (and understandably so). But its obvious this man has a vision for what he wants this football team to be going forward. Coaches may come and go, same as players, but as long as GMSM is in charge, we know what we're going to get (and he's backing it up).

I know this sounds pretty evil, but does anyone else feel that rooting for THIS team is not such a good move for a recovering alcoholic?

I mean...I know its a bit ****ed up, but after a few games of the last couple of seasons, I would so not blame anyone for drinking. Large amounts. Misdemeanor crimes are ok, even. I would understand.

Ok Ok, nevermind. This team is going to hurt people, Scot. All of us.

:P

I'll drink to that.. I'm not only an alcoholic, I'm an enabler too...Salute!!

Lol, Scot is definitely easy to root for and enjoyable to listen to.

You know, I forgot to mention this, but another interesting comment Scot made in this interview was when he said that, going into this draft, they identified 7 players in each round they thought would have an immediate impact on the team. He said we came away with 6 of those guys.

I wonder who they are? Interesting to think about. I'm thinking it's pretty much our first six picks, lol, but I wonder. Like, if one of them is Tevin Mitchell or Kyshoen instead of Kuandjio or something.

How to define "having an immediate impact on the team" is the question.  Obviously making the team is key but that should include the final 53. I don't see the PS as impactful.  But I think you're on the right track. Reiter is a longshot for sure.

Also interesting,...to me, that statement serves to muddy the distinction between PBA and NEED.  Targeting players capable of making an immediate impact suggests they are identifying holes and flagging players to fill them.  That strongly implies drafting for need.  Not that we need any more fuel for that fire, but the whole thing suggests a wider gulf between PBA & NEED full of grey, blurry stuff.

Still on topic, I seem to remember Shanahan saying something to the effect that later round picks were more likely targets for specific holes or weaknesses.  The idea being to improve a longshots chances of sticking.

I like hearing those comments but just let the pads do the talking. We still have a real long way to go with numerous question marks, most noticeably the QB position. But at least Scot McC has a vision of how to put a team together. Just wasn't the case with Bruce.

I'm going to respond to this a little different probably than most, but I don't care for any of this type of talk going outside of the practice fields, the locker room, and team meetings. Let the other teams feel what you mean instead of telling them to prepare for a heavyweight fight themselves.

Let your reputation speak for itself.

I don't believe teams were going to play soft until they read this, but why give anyone any extra motivation.

As a fan I love the idea of being bad-asses, and I don't hate the talk from Scot, but I wouldn't do it myself. Just do it in-house.

I would agree with you except that Scot wants the fans to buy in too. We're part of this.

Establishing a cohesive vision when you have had none means everyone has to be on board. That way we don't freak out about why player x was brought in, let go or undrafted.

Do we have to back it up on the field? Of course. But let's lay down the philosophy first.

Frankly, I'm thrilled Scot has let the world know who we are and what we'll do. That's a rallying cry we can all stand behind.

Smash-mouth football has always been like that. 50 Gut all day. Even when you know it's coming you can't stop it.

That's the way Redskins football is played.

Nobody should be excited about jack ****ing **** until this franchise actually wins something

Have a nice day

Man, I just want a respectable franchise lol

For the naysayers or at least the "let your actions' talk" people:

This is the time of the year where McCloughan better feel good about his draft picks or free agent selections. Not a single rookie has practiced, he's vetted all the tape on the free agents... if he doesn't feel positive than I'd be really worried. What do you want him to say/feel when he does these interviews that he has to do?

"I think I blew half of our picks. Man, I suck and have no confidence in myself! Our players are going to get trucked and people are going to put a hurt on us next year!  We had a plan, but couldn't execute any on it!  I was throwing darts, but think I not only missed the dart board, but the whole side of the barn!  Doomed!  Doomed, I tell you!"

Stop whining about positivity. Belief is an important part of winning too. Whining is not.

I don't care about him being positive. Positivity is great.

I'm just worried about everyone (mainly fans) going all gaga over fluff comments. We always do it every single time. 

But at least Scot McC has a vision of how to put a team together. Just wasn't the case with Bruce.

How do we know Bruce didn't have a vision? 

Man, I just want a respectable franchise lol

I'm just worried about everyone (mainly fans) going all gaga over fluff comments. We always do it every single time. 

This is a misconception. Bruce & Dan both have a vision. Unfortunately, neither of them possess the football knowledge of a Scot McCloughan. They do not have the skill set to evaluate talent as effectively as someone like Scot, hence the constant lackluster production on the field. Let me put it like this: there were two farmers who desperately needed rain. Both farmers prayed for rain, but only one farmer went out and prepared his fields to receive it. God will send the rain when He’s ready, but you need to prepare your field to receive it. That's the difference between Bruce/Dan and Scot. Bruce and Dan want the Redskins to be a winning franchise, but they haven't a clue about laying the ground work for that to ultimately happen. Scot, on the other hand, is certainly preparing our field for rain. He knows what goes into a winning franchise. His vision doesn't focus on an ultimate goal, but rather the bolts and screws that it takes to get there.

This is a misconception. Bruce & Dan both have a vision. Unfortunately, neither of them possess the football knowledge of a Scot McCloughan. They do not have the skill set to evaluate talent as effectively as someone like Scot, hence the constant lackluster production on the field. Let me put it like this: there were two farmers who desperately needed rain. Both farmers prayed for rain, but only one farmer went out and prepared his fields to receive it. God will send the rain when He’s ready, but you need to prepare your field to receive it. That's the difference between Bruce/Dan and Scot. Bruce and Dan want the Redskins to be a winning franchise, but they haven't a clue about laying the ground work for that to ultimately happen. Scot, on the other hand, is certainly preparing our field for rain. He knows what goes into a winning franchise. His vision doesn't focus on an ultimate goal, but rather the bolts and screws that it takes to get there.

What a ridiculous analogy.

Why in the world would you worry over something like that? LOL

Maybe he did. It just wasn't 20/20. :)

I don't think Dan has a vision. That's not an insult to Dan, but just my observation. I think he has a goal.  It's a goal that I share. That goal is to win (and make money).

The reason I don't think he has a vision is because he has flip flopped so many time and gone to coaches that run so many different kinds of systems.  Norv (who he inherited) wasn't like Marty, who wasn't like Spurrier, who wasn't like Gibbs, who wasn't like Zorn, who wasn't like Shanny... and Shanny's system didn't really jibe with Gruden's. Likewise, we've gone from attacking 4-3's, to bend but don't break 4-3's, to 3-4's on defense.

The constantly morphing identity speaks to a lack of vision, a lack of cohesion.  Gibbs' teams may have had a different QB and RB for all three Superbowl wins, but they had the same fundamental vision and character. I would argue that each HC has come in with a vision.

"What we do works." as Norv would say after every loss or mediocre year. Some got a chance to see their vision through and some didn't. Marty's teams always wound up being the same team whether here or in Kansas or in San Diego. Tough, defensive minded, and conservative offensively.  Shanny's teams always managed that same feel too at least in the run game.

Dan though is not wed to a philosophy or vision. He just wants a winner and he keeps trying to lurch from winner to winner hoping that getting behind one will propel him. It's the same idea that brought us Marty, Spurrier, Gibbs, Shanny, and McCloughan.

All winners. Because that's his goal. Snyder has a goal not a vision.

That's not a terrible thing. I approve of the goal.

I hope that Dan is worried about the big picture, or the state of the franchise, which is the owners job. Financials, stadium, team, facilities, mid to long term objectives and goals. Where we are now and what he wants for future state. I could call that vision, or business plan, whatever adjective you prefer to use.

If I was an owner? I would be too busy to dabble in the day to day affairs of only the team. I would be involved, but more as a spectator from an Executive perspective. Overseeing the President, GM and coach. Most Executives dont deal with the man running the drill bit. Generals worry about the troops, but deal with them through the chain of command. Very few are "Patton-esque," or working on everything at all levels.

Vision and mission statements should not be private or subdued. They are to be plastered on clubhouse walls, seen everywhere one goes and known by each and every employee.

The idea that some said he shouldn't be saying this misses the purpose of mission statements.

'We're gonna hurt you'

That's where every plan from sweeping the stadium seats after game to calling play for 2nd and goal in the Super Bowl starts. Everybody operates to accomplish this vision. GMSM is gonna supply a roster to do this.

Vision and mission statements should not be private or subdued. They are to be plastered on clubhouse walls, seen everywhere one goes and known by each and every employee.

I think it's an important point and should be underlined.

While  mottoes, and mission statements may just be words sometimes they are not. I remember when working at VOR, we kept asking "what the mission was," but never got a good answer. Part of me liked that because I could design the newsroom to please me or satisfy my standards and goals, but I never knew if we were making the bosses or the big bosses happy.

Sure, there were metrics we could look at... ratings, listener responses, etc. but until you know the mission you can't fulfill it.

Now football is a bit different. The mission is obviously to win the Super Bowl. On the other hand, only one team out of 32 succeeds at that so what is the mission beyond that. In that way, that unifying vision may matter. It least it gives everyone something to rally behind.

Again, they're only words, but words do have power.

I don't think Dan has a vision. That's not an insult to Dan, but just my observation. I think he has a goal.  It's a goal that I share. That goal is to win (and make money).

The reason I don't think he has a vision is because he has flip flopped so many time and gone to coaches that run so many different kinds of systems.  Norv (who he inherited) wasn't like Marty, who wasn't like Spurrier, who wasn't like Gibbs, who wasn't like Zorn, who wasn't like Shanny... and Shanny's system didn't really jibe with Gruden's. Likewise, we've gone from attacking 4-3's, to bend but don't break 4-3's, to 3-4's on defense.

The constantly morphing identity speaks to a lack of vision, a lack of cohesion.  Gibbs' teams may have had a different QB and RB for all three Superbowl wins, but they had the same fundamental vision and character. I would argue that each HC has come in with a vision.

"What we do works." as Norv would say after every loss or mediocre year. Some got a chance to see their vision through and some didn't. Marty's teams always wound up being the same team whether here or in Kansas or in San Diego. Tough, defensive minded, and conservative offensively.  Shanny's teams always managed that same feel too at least in the run game.

Dan though is not wed to a philosophy or vision. He just wants a winner and he keeps trying to lurch from winner to winner hoping that getting behind one will propel him. It's the same idea that brought us Marty, Spurrier, Gibbs, Shanny, and McCloughan.

All winners. Because that's his goal. Snyder has a goal not a vision.

That's not a terrible thing. I approve of the goal.

Unless, of course, his vision and philosophy is being adaptable based on the principle that there are a thousand ways to accomplish the same goal. In which case, we would applaud him for not being so rigid and inflexible in that he'd rather compromise the objective or outcome.

Depends on how you want to frame the story.

This probably belongs in a Snyder thread, but it goes along with the vision talk.  

My hope for Snyder's vision is that whatever it was, if there was one at all, he has a new one that he can and will learn and move forward with.  There is no reason at his young age that he can't learn from Scot and Bruce when it comes to building a team.

I think he has learned how to better treat and manage human beings from Joe Gibbs, and that was a step in his growth as an NFL owner that was critical.  I haven't heard any melted vanilla ice cream stories in a while.

Bruce Allen was also a critical piece, IMO, to getting the spending under control.  I don't believe Dan will be allowing or orchestrating any FA spending bonanza's from now on.  That is something he can carry forward after Bruce, if that ever happens.

Scot will be the football guy that Snyder can learn from.  I think Scot's vision for a team, if successful, would be Snyder's vision for his football team long after Scot has moved on, if that should happen someday.

I don't mean to say that Snyder would be a GM for us, but he should be able to understand a real football mind from fluff and BS like Cerrato now.  I'm thinking long term vision here, Dan should be the owner for most of the rest of my life as far as I know.  

This is not Dan Snyder 2000, and hopefully he continues to learn and grow so he can hire the best if and when the time comes again.

Archived