Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Tennis.

DM72

I don't follow tennis, I couldn't name a single current male star in the sport (I did have interest in the 70s and 80s) and only a few females. But Serena I know. If someone like me thinks of Serena first when in comes to tennis (Navratilova would come to mind  second),your premise may be wrong.

I really do not understand the different playing field statement.

The are all professionals...the boxing comparison is simply absurd.

I don't want to reach too far here with my thought of your response 07, but are you saying that because they are naturally or trained to be bigger and stronger you see it as an unfair advantage ? So that means what they have done is not as impressive ?

I don't want to reach too far here with my thought of your response 07, but are you saying that because they are naturally or trained to be bigger and stronger you see it as an unfair advantage ? So that means what they have done is not as impressive ?

I think he sees them as a league above the competition, being so can be impressive but not very stimulating.

kinda like the old dynasty teams mopping the floor with the competition year after year.

Huh?

You're penalizing them because they're more talented than the people they compete against?

Huh?

You're penalizing them because they're more talented than the people they compete against?

I second that. Huh?

For once, I agree with TWA.

I think Serena is absolutely amazing and is probably the single most dominant American athlete. Hell, if you're my age you'll remember watching them in the "Got Milk" commercials when you were in elementary school. The fact that both sisters will in a Quarter Final after I've been out of college is a HUGE testament to their talent and skill.

That said, Serene is SO much better than the next best players, it's often not terribly stimulating to watch. Everytime she takes the court in a major the question is not "Can player X beat her?" But rather "Will Serene make enough mistakes to lose today?" Great for Serena, bad for me the viewer.

Part of the problem is a lack of a true rival to make it interesting. When Graf played, first there was a rivalry with Navratilova and then with Seles. In fact, if Seles doesn't get stabbed, she might have ended up with more GS than Graf. I would say Henin was close to a rival but retired 7 years ago. Serena had only an 8-6 lead in head to head.

On the men's side, there is almost always an obvious rival for all the great players in tennis.

Even when Tiger dominated, things were more interesting when it was Tiger vs Phil. IMO

It is all about how she looks. Her race, her hair, her body type, upbringing, her father are all a factor. She is kind of loud and opinionated. Women tennis players are not supposed to be like that. Also, her game is not as "graceful" as other players as well.

Also, Steffi Graf is not regarded as better than Navratilova because Graf dominated tennis after Seles got stabbed. Graf would not have won as many majors if Seles never got stabbed. If Seles got injured, thats one thing. It happened during gameplay. Seles' stabbing incident was not in her control and altered her career and the 90s woman's tennis scene. (this is why I did not mention Jennifer Capriati, who was arguably a bigger talent than Graf and Seles and was teh Serena of her day.

IMO, Serena is the best woman's player of all time. She has dominated the sport for 14 years now, which is insane in tennis.

The lack of rivals comment is also unfair. First, her sister was her rival and then the Belgian women. (Justin Henin was a nasty player and a cheat)

But the fact that Serena is still playing at this high a level for so long and been better than her peers should not be held against her. Especially since the game has more players than ever now.

Also this "women's game isnt as interesting" stuff is poppy****. In the early aughts, the women's game was constantly getting higher ratings than the men's game.

It's still WOMENS tennis.

Bravo to her. She's awesome. I can honestly say the only tennis I have watched in the last decade (men's or women's) has been matches that she's played.

But to ask why she doesn't get the same coverage chasing women's tennis milestones as tiger does chasing jacks is stupid. It's actually beyond stupid. It's purposefully trying to stir up a controversy that's just not there.

I didn't know she was close to the record because I just don't care about women's tennis records.

But ask anyone 5-10 years ago about tiger and jack????? EVERYONE knew about it.

Maybe if Serena was part Asian it would pique the nations interest more........

Kilmer, while I agree with the gist of your post...I think your seemingly smug take and dismissal of women's sports is a bit much.

I apologize in advance if I read that incorrectly.

Not for nothing, most people today don't think twice about Jack. Don't even know who he is. It's sad and unfortunate, but true.

The lack of rivals comment is also unfair. First, her sister was her rival and then the Belgian women. (Justin Henin was a nasty player and a cheat)But the fact that Serena is still playing at this high a level for so long and been better than her peers should not be held against her. Especially since the game has more players than ever now.Also this "women's game isnt as interesting" stuff is poppy****. In the early aughts, the women's game was constantly getting higher ratings than the men's game.

Wow, me and Joe actually agree on something.

Venus was certainly her biggest rival to begin with. Hell, they were just talking about how Venus lost and therefore the semi's would lack that competition.

Face it folks, Serena has by far eclipsed Venus. Venus is still her biggest rival... and Venus is an afterthought.

Still takes nothing away from what Serena has done over the years. The young lady is simply amazingly gifted and competitive.

If I remember correctly, it was Venus that was supposed to be the better player when they first started out. Serena quickly passed her sister and then Venus started getting injured.

Well of course. I used to school my little brother on the football field and the basketball court.

He is simply the better athlete. I do not think I could even defend him on the court after his two camps with Coach K. I am considered a good defender, and a decent player...but my brother could have played on that next, next level (in both sports). He decided not to. He was bored with the game. He still can't touch me in baseball though.

If I remember correctly, it was Venus that was supposed to be the better player when they first started out. Serena quickly passed her sister and then Venus started getting injured.

Richard Williams said from the very beginning that Serena was going to be better. This was when Venus was on top.

Archived