Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A crackpot idea: What about trading up to draft QB Marcus Mariota?

kgor93

Just hear me out. So you start the offseason by firing the current personnel guys because they're idiots. Also fire Haslett. Get some smarter people in here. Then you spend the offseason shoring up the offensive line so whatever QB is behind it doesn't get killed. After that, trade up to 1 or 2 to get Mariota. We should be picking 3rd or 4th so it wouldn't cost as much as the RG3 trade. It could be as much as 2 first rounders or a first and a second. Mariota is more polished of a passer than RG3 ever was and moreso than many NFL QB's. He might be too good to pass up.

At the end of the season, you franchise RG3 and deal him or franchise him and keep him (if he plays well). What do yall think?

3ogcj5.jpg

Y'all are slamming the OP (rightly so. Mariota? Dude! SERIOUSLY?!); but in reality would it surprise anyone id we took a QB with our top pick if Gruden somehow survives?

He doesn't like Robert. He'd dropped Kirk like a hot potato. And Colt is nobody's answer.

Forget either line in the first. If this clown survives watch it be a QB to set us back even further.

Hail.

Y'all are slamming the OP (rightly so. Mariota? Dude! SERIOUSLY?!); but in reality would it surprise anyone id we took a QB with our top pick if Gruden somehow survives?

He doesn't like Robert. He'd dropped Kirk like a hot potato. And Colt is nobody's answer.

Forget either line in the first. If this clown survives watch it be a QB to set us back even further.

Hail.

Doesn't Allen have full control of who we draft? 

Also whats wrong with Mariota?  Looks like a bigger RG3 to me.  If you like one why not the other?  That's probably why it makes no sense for this team to draft Mariota, we already have a guy like that and it's not working. 

If they took a QB with the first pick, I wouldn't be mad. But trading more draft picks for one would be REALLY STUPID. I prefer Winston over the Oregon kid.

Here's why. A great QB is much tougher to find then a tackle. A great QB makes the line better. Not saying a great QB is in this draft though. That's for the scouts to figure out. But if they think Mariota or Winston is that guy, they have to take him.

I wouldn't want Mariota.  We don't need another zone read QB who will take 3 years to learn how to play in the league.  If ever...Now Winston?  If we had a strong locker room I wouldn't hate that move.  I love his game but wouldn't trust him as a millionaire.

I wouldn't want Mariota.  We don't need another zone read QB who will take 3 years to learn how to play in the league.  If ever...Now Winston?  If we had a strong locker room I wouldn't hate that move.  I love his game but wouldn't trust him as a millionaire.

At least he won't have to be stealing crab legs anymore, so that's one less off-the-field issue to worry about! 

NO!  Not only that... Hell NO!

We have/had a once in a generation talent and now he's shell shocked and gun shy because he gets hit every down. 

We had a running back who was gaining thirteen hundred yards a season who can't crack a hundred yards a game now and barely gets three yards a carry.

If you get Marriotta, he will be battered into dust and his potential will never be realized.  FIX THE LINES!

I have never said this on this board before....but i guess there's a first time for everything.  This would literally be the dumbest thing this franchise could EVER do.  I can't believe this is even a seriously asked question.  Instead of writing 2-3 paragraphs about why this would be utterly and ridiculously  stupid, I'm just going to end with asking a rhetorical question.  Isn't this front office already the laughing stock of the league?

Just hear me out. So you start the offseason by firing the current personnel guys because they're idiots. Also fire Haslett. Get some smarter people in here. Then you spend the offseason shoring up the offensive line so whatever QB is behind it doesn't get killed. After that, trade up to 1 or 2 to get Mariota. We should be picking 3rd or 4th so it wouldn't cost as much as the RG3 trade. It could be as much as 2 first rounders or a first and a second. Mariota is more polished of a passer than RG3 ever was and moreso than many NFL QB's. He might be too good to pass up.

At the end of the season, you franchise RG3 and deal him or franchise him and keep him (if he plays well). What do yall think?

NO!  We already did that with RGIII who was a far better draft prospect than Mariota.  Build the oline through FA and our first two draft picks (at minimum), go with RGIII next year.  Doesn't work out, draft our QB in 2016.  

I was fine with what we gave up for RGIII, we had to do it imo, but it hasn't worked out that well with the exception of 2012.  We cannot fix the offensive line in just free agency, it is going to require a mix of FA and good, high draft picks.  

Franchise RGIII............you realize that he is under contract for four years right?  And even if he wasn't, why would you franchise RGIII, who is not even worth more than a 3rd rounder now and pay him the average of the top five QBs in the league ($16-17 million/one year)?   If you franchise him and can't trade him you eat the contract.  

Now, what do I think?  I think you need to quit making ridiculous threads.

Count me as one who thinks Mariota has the tools to be a great QB, however he needs a team with a solid Oline and a Vet QB to sit behind for a few years, we have neither. Winston is a bonehead decision waiting to happen. We have 3 QBs and if Jay can't make one of them serviceable while the Oline and defensive back end is rebuilt then we need a coach too.

Archived