Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Remember when Journalists were saying "The coaches like Cousins more"...

JoeWolf990

Here's the thing, between the moments where Cousins suffers a total melt down and starts throwing the ball to the other team like he's got 100k riding on the point spread, he looks great.  Great!  He has elite anticipation and accuracy.  The problem is he goes from great to absolutely horrible in a way I've never seen.  He seems to have one turnover and then loses his composure and immediately just starts piling them up.  I think Gruden benched him yesterday because after the 2nd he feared that 2-3 more were coming because that's what Cousins has done multiple times.  

To me this suggests that in practice, where he isn't getting hit and isn't under as much mental pressure, he looks great.  Probably better than RG3 who, ever since he lost his speed and declared he wanted to be a pocket passer (which means regular everyday QB in the NFL), has been remedial QB school. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if coaches, based on what they see in practice, think Cousins is the better option.  The problem is Cousins isn't improving and he's turning that ball over at an incredible rate.  You can't have the good parts without the bad and so, what they see in practice is an illusion. 

The "diverse outlets" you speak of...they were all regurgitating the same story tossed out by one reporter. They didn't all have their own sources all telling them the same thing:

SBNation:

"Washington could be without its franchise quarterback for an extended period -- possibly the remainder of the season -- after Robert Griffin III dislocated his ankle on Sunday. That doesn't disrupt the plans of head coach Jay Gruden, according to a recent report by UnWise Mike of The Washington Post -- in fact, it's about as convenient as could be.

Wise cites an unnamed team source familiar with Gruden's line of thinking that claims the first-year head coach believes backup quarterback Kirk Cousins is a better fit for his offense"

NFL.com:

"According to UnWise Mike of The Washington Post, Gruden himself has wrestled with the same conundrum since taking over the team.

Wise reports, via a person with knowledge of Gruden's thinking, the rookie head coach realized this summer Cousins was better suited to run the West Coast offense even if the exorbitant draft-pick investment in Griffin mandated staying the course."

Bleacher Report:

"Redskins head coach Jay Gruden has always claimed that Griffin is secure as the team's starting quarterback. But according to UnWise Mike of The Washington Post, "a person with knowledge of Gruden’s thinking" claims the new coach has for some time believed that Cousins is better off running his style of offense."

RantSports.com:

"A new report from Washington Post columnist UnWise Mike leads one to believe that Cousins has secretly been Gruden’s choice at QB all along."

Richmond Times Dispatch:

"In Monday morning's Washington Post, columnist UnWise Mike stirred the pot by suggesting that coach Jay Gruden secretly wanted Cousins to start all along."

NFL Trade Rumors.com:

"UnWise Mike of the Washington Post, citing a person with knowledge of Jay Gruden’s thinking, reports that the Redskins head coach has actually known all along that Kirk Cousins was a better fit in his offensive scheme than Robert Griffin III. According to Wise, RGIII wasn’t picking  up the new offensive system..."

But of course here is what Keim said, who is highly respected around these parts:

“As far as the idea that Gruden somehow preferred Cousins over Griffin, I asked the first-year head coach about that after his press conference Monday and Gruden said, ‘That’s just not true.’  I told him, ‘I assume if it had been the case, he would have already been in there.’  To which Gruden replied, ‘It’s funny how that works.'”

No, of course they wouldn't...

*ahem*

" UnWise Mike has tweeted himself into trouble.

The Washington Post sportswriter and columnist was suspended Tuesday for one month after deliberately posting a phony scoop on Twitter, an experiment to see how widely it would be picked up. Wise apologized and said he accepted the punishment for what he called a "horrendous mistake."

thats fair

I was thinking of this summer when folks were saying Cousins looks better than RG3 does like these:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2166711-insider-buzz-rg3-alienating-redskins-teammates-cousins-closing-the-gap-at-qb

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4765960/quick-hit-thoughts-around-nfl-patriots-19?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/08/25/ravens-tv-broadcast-thinks-the-redskins-have-a-quarterback-controversy/

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/08/joe-theismann-redskins-kirk-cousins-griffin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/08/25/herm-edwards-says-kirk-cousins-is-outplaying-rgiii/

but you are right, it was Wise who started the "Gruden likes Cousins more" stuff.

Good research on the unWise story.  Would be literally unwise to believe anything that dinglehopper spouts. 

Dinglehopper.  I laughed.  That was funny.  

One more word from Keim:

Just one thought on the cousins situation: In practices this summer, saw the INTs. It's why those there every day never said he was best QB

Keim might tow the ESPN company line from time to time, but he's one of the absolute best, and generally wehn he says it, I believe it.  

Here's the thing, between the moments where Cousins suffers a total melt down and starts throwing the ball to the other team like he's got 100k riding on the point spread, he looks great.  Great!  He has elite anticipation and accuracy.  The problem is he goes from great to absolutely horrible in a way I've never seen.  He seems to have one turnover and then loses his composure and immediately just starts piling them up.  I think Gruden benched him yesterday because after the 2nd he feared that 2-3 more were coming because that's what Cousins has done multiple times.  

To me this suggests that in practice, where he isn't getting hit and isn't under as much mental pressure, he looks great.  Probably better than RG3 who, ever since he lost his speed and declared he wanted to be a pocket passer (which means regular everyday QB in the NFL), has been remedial QB school. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if coaches, based on what they see in practice, think Cousins is the better option.  The problem is Cousins isn't improving and he's turning that ball over at an incredible rate.  You can't have the good parts without the bad and so, what they see in practice is an illusion. 

Interesting that in the broadcast, somebody (Gannon?) said that Cousins practice on Friday was not very good.

I was trying to think about another QB who was prone to complete meltdowns.  A young Vinny Testeverde came to mind.  

But, honestly, there is absolutely no better comparison than

Sexy Rexy Grossman.  

Good Rex was actually very good.  Especially for the Bears when he helped them get to a SB.

Bad Rex was REALLY REALLY bad.  

you mean, bloggers and journalists will throw **** against the wall, credit it to an 'unnamed source', knowing sometimes it will stick, thereby making them look good? and even when it doesnt, they still get their name out there, along with clicks?

no way.

seriously, since when does getting the story 'right' matter?

Jason La Confora had "sources" who were inside his head on all kinds of things.  This is not a new phenomena.  

The "diverse outlets" you speak of...they were all regurgitating the same story tossed out by one reporter. They didn't all have their own sources all telling them the same thing:

But of course here is what Keim said, who is highly respected around these parts:

“As far as the idea that Gruden somehow preferred Cousins over Griffin, I asked the first-year head coach about that after his press conference Monday and Gruden said, ‘That’s just not true.’  I told him, ‘I assume if it had been the case, he would have already been in there.’  To which Gruden replied, ‘It’s funny how that works.'”

" UnWise Mike has tweeted himself into trouble.

The Washington Post sportswriter and columnist was suspended Tuesday for one month after deliberately posting a phony scoop on Twitter, an experiment to see how widely it would be picked up. Wise apologized and said he accepted the punishment for what he called a "horrendous mistake."

I love the exchange from Keim and Gruden.

I am starting to think that the "really horrendous" mistake in UnWise Mike's life was when his parents decided to do it without protection.  Is that too far? Might be.  

No matter what, a journalist at ESPN or the Washington Post and elsewhere is not going to risk their professional careers to make up a story. Those are not tabloids.

Wow. You are incredibly naive. It's like you don't pay attention to sports "journalism" at all in 2014.

Wow. You are incredibly naive. It's like you don't pay attention to sports "journalism" at all in 2014.

Journalism full stop these days, sports has just caught up with the political/economic BS the mass media spreads.  The agenda is written before the piece, which is then worded to fit said agenda.

For most of training camp and right until Cousins had that game against the Eagles, journalists (locally and some nationally) were trumpeting sources from the coaching staff about their belief that Cousins is better than RG3 for this offense.

I guess they took Joey T. too seriously

Journalism full stop these days, sports has just caught up with the political/economic BS the mass media spreads.  The agenda is written before the piece, which is then worded to fit said agenda.

Slight correction.  It's media reporting... not journalism.

Professional pride speaking.

RG3 is our best QB, regardless of the system.

What happened to the doubters who thought Alfred Morris' dominant running was the key to RG3 getting wide open receivers? When Robert is on, he gives the entire offense a jolt. Cousins has his moments but can't put an entire game together. 

Sounds like Rex Grossman to me.

I just hope by the end of this season we have a clear grasp on our QB situation.  I think we obviously know Colt McCoy is not our longterm answer at QB.  Looks like we will probably let Kirk walk as well or be what he looks like, a backup QB.  We just need to know if Robert is going to be our long term answer at QB.  I don't even care if he isn't, I would just like to know where we stand.

It is pretty easy to see how the coaching staff got it wrong with Kirk.  He clearly outplayed Robert in preseason.  It was not a fluke that he played better because he clearly looked more comfortable in pocket than Robert.  But some of you say that was preseason.  Well he played well against Jacksonville but some of you say that was Jacksonville.  He played lights out against Philly, a very good football team.  He has the ability but his confidence is shot and his chances in the NFL now will be likely somewhere else than here.  It is sort of like when you get in a rut in golf.  When you step up to the tee you have bad thoughts and it leads to bad results.  That is where he is.  Its amazing how one game can change things.  I remember back some years ago the Giants started out like 0 and 5.  People were talking about Coughlin getting fired.  They played the Skins in week 6 and yes we lost and that game turned the Giants season around.  There is no question in my mind if they had won that game against Philly this would be a different season and I dont just mean one more win and you would be seeing a different Kirk Cousins.  Cousins or the team have not been the same since. The fact of how well they played especially on offense and not pulling that game out was just a confidence killer.

It is pretty easy to see how the coaching staff got it wrong with Kirk.  He clearly outplayed Robert in preseason.  It was not a fluke that he played better because he clearly looked more comfortable in pocket than Robert.  But some of you say that was preseason.  Well he played well against Jacksonville but some of you say that was Jacksonville.  He played lights out against Philly, a very good football team.  He has the ability but his confidence is shot and his chances in the NFL now will be likely somewhere else than here.  It is sort of like when you get in a rut in golf.  When you step up to the tee you have bad thoughts and it leads to bad results.  That is where he is.  Its amazing how one game can change things.  I remember back some years ago the Giants started out like 0 and 5.  People were talking about Coughlin getting fired.  They played the Skins in week 6 and yes we lost and that game turned the Giants season around.  There is no question in my mind if they had won that game against Philly this would be a different season and I dont just mean one more win and you would be seeing a different Kirk Cousins.  Cousins or the team have not been the same since. The fact of how well they played especially on offense and not pulling that game out was just a confidence killer.

Very optimistic view. The reality is that against soft coverage and no pass rush Kirk looked amazing. Against real defenses he looked poor and showed very little mental toughness/resiliency. His mechanics broke down, his decisionmaking went to hell and he was unable to seize the opportunities that presented themselves and they were myriad. We were not out of the game when he tanked vs the giants. We were not out of the game when he melted down vs Philly. We were still in the game vs Arizona, etc...He just cant get it done when the heat is really on and he is playing for his dinner. Some get better when you turn up the temperature and others melt. He is a melter. Time may fix that. I don't know. I wish him the best though. I like the cut of his jib.

Jason La Confora had "sources" who were inside his head on all kinds of things.  This is not a new phenomena.  

chris russell is the new JLC.

you could tell that dude colt mccoy owned beachfront property in nebraska and he'd print it. 

chris russell is the new JLC.

you could tell that dude colt mccoy owned beachfront property in nebraska and he'd print it. 

Yeah, his batting average isn't great.  

The difference is that JLC made up crap just because he was being vindictive. 

Russell makes up crap to generate conversation and a bit of a story.  It's more self promoting.

Eh, I don't mind Russell.  JLC, I minded.  

It wasn't just this forum, it was all of the local sports talk shows - hosts and listeners, casual fans of other teams at the water cooler at work, the pundits on ESPN and NFL Network.  It was Kirk Cousins mania after he beat Jacksonville .

"He just has a better grasp of the system"

"He can read defenses much better than RG3"

My favorite part about this is none of it was actually quantifiable in any way, just reporters and idiot fans who had no actual knowledge of it actually being true at all.

Made all the more better by the fact that "having a better grasp of the system" and "reads defenses better" was just Kirk throwing to wide open DBs and LBs on multiple occasions.

I wasn't actively rooting for the guy to fail but I got incredibly sick of hearing people who either are not fans of my team or just plain don't like Robert's personality use those above two phrases like they actually know much of anything.

LOL at anyone who believes anything any of the media say nowadays.  There is no "hard reporting" (the facts) or any semlance of journalism anymore. Not in sports, politics, etc.

The name of the game is two fold in order to make as much money as possible:

1) claim you were the first so that everyone watches/reads your bull

2) get as many hits on your website as possible.

The media have all turned into slightly upgraded versions of TMZ.  I was a communications/journalism major in college and I have to tell you that they don't follow the basic rules of reporting anymore. FOX news, CNN, etc. all have made it their goal of turning the public into the Kardashian Kulture like Bang has said.

I can't tell you the last time I watched the news or news stations (CNN) or read something besides the sports page and comics in the paper.

Old school journalism (Walter Cronkite types) is dead. Name of the game is to get the sheep to head in your direction and feed them tainted grass.

a coach can't know that a player will crumble under stress/pressure until the player is in game situations ... until then ... Cousins looks pretty good.  His productivity not including the game-situation pressure failures is frankly excellent if you could get it without also getting all those turn overs.  He's apparently better at a number of QB skills/talents/criteria than Griffin has been.  Clearly he's not a threat to rip up a defense by running and sadly ... perhaps a career killer ... he's a interception machine under pressure and stress. 

Plenty of successful QBs were really bad at this in their first season's worth of games ... e.g., Troy Aikmen ... 11 games, 7 TDs, 14 INTs, 0 wins was followed by Super Bowls, Pro Bowl, Hall of Fame and an 81.6 QB rating.  Unfortunately even more crappy QBs have started out really bad and stayed that way.

was reading about the jack the ripper DNA story, and i stumbled onto this, from wiki-

On 7 October 1888, George R. Sims in the Sunday newspaper Referee implied scathingly that the letter was written by a journalist "to hurl the circulation of a newspaper sky high".[109] Police officials later claimed to have identified a specific journalist as the author of both the "Dear Boss" letter and the postcard.[110] The journalist was identified as Tom Bullen in a letter from Chief Inspector John Littlechild to George R. Sims dated 23 September 1913.[111] A journalist called Fred Best reportedly confessed in 1931 that he had written the letters that had been publicised by the police to "keep the business alive".[

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nothing new here, only that its click rather than newspaper circulation. 

One more word from Keim:

Just one thought on the cousins situation: In practices this summer, saw the INTs. It's why those there every day never said he was best QB

Ehh.

I never heard him shooting it down though either, and he's had plenty of praise for Cousins:

https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/511209460438949888

"Oh, by the way, this is absolutely why the Redskins didn't -- and shouldn't have -- entertained trading Cousins."

If he looked, this interception prone this summer, they should have traded him for essentially anything.

I remember when Jason Reid saturated the twitter universe with BS about John Beck being a 100% lock to start the 2011 season against the vagiants. Reid claimed he had "several sources close to the team".

UnWise Mike, Jason Reid, Sally Jenkins, Feinstein, etc these men aren't journalists, they're commentators and their shtick is to hate.

Archived