Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Remember when Journalists were saying "The coaches like Cousins more"...

JoeWolf990

So... were they wrong?

Who knows? 

The season went like this.  RG3 was the starter, didn't do much, got hurt.  He was NOT going to lose his job due to injury under the current ownership.   Cousins came in and lit it up, statistically.   Moreso than any QB in a long time.  But he had a couple of games where he made some bad throws late.  The Skins knew RG3 was coming back, so rather than carry on with Cousins, who was going to be benched anyway, they decided to give Colt a try.  Colt did fine, but inevitably RG3 got healthy enough. RG3 played horribly.  Rather than repeat the process they award the job to the safest candidate for the rest of this season.  If Colt goes down, the next starter should be Cousins.  If it is not, Gruden's statements will tell the tale.

You're looking at this the wrong way, the media was saying that from their "sources" to make a story.  Any shot they can take at our QB for some reason they take it.  I don't believe for a second Jay Gruden ever said Cousins is better than RG.  Don't get sucked into the media ploy for your ratings, that is the motivation behind every thing that they say or make up!!

So you're one of those "blame the media for the ills of the Skins"?  Jeeez,...

How do you know for sure Gruden didn't, at some point, to somebody say that Kirk is better, or could at least run the offense better?  I don't think anyone on this board knows for sure.  We do know this, it's obvious he had doubts about RG3 shortly after the start of the season and considering the latest decision we now know the rest of the story.

It wasn't just this forum, it was all of the local sports talk shows - hosts and listeners, casual fans of other teams at the water cooler at work, the pundits on ESPN and NFL Network.  It was Kirk Cousins mania after he beat Jacksonville .

"He just has a better grasp of the system"

"He can read defenses much better than RG3"

Which of those statements isn't true though?

Not knowing what was behind the curtain, I supported RG3 until he got hurt. Then supported KC before he became a turnover machine.  It is obvious that RG3 is not productive so I have no problems with the decision to play Colt for the rest of this year. The drama never ends.

Cousins is better for this offense than Griffin.  Is that even a question?  The production doesn't lie.

you do realize the coaches have thrown Cousins into the bushes, right?

He hasnt been active in 3 weeks and is even behind RG3 this week in the depth chart.

He also went 0-for as well.

I think both are sorry and we need to move onward.

Griffin's played a lot more games than Cousins, but 'he just needs this or that or the other'.

Can't deny the fact that when Cousins was playing at least he was putting up points and yds and throwing to WRs.

Right now, I think Cousins's problems are an easier fix than Griffin's.

Colt may or may not be someone to keep on the roster, he just hasn't played enough to determine this. But the remaining games will hopefully shed more light on the situation, but its gonna be one very interesting offseason.

you do realize the coaches have thrown Cousins into the bushes, right?

He hasnt been active in 3 weeks and is even behind RG3 this week in the depth chart.

He's not active for one reason. If Colt stinks it up the team isn't going to revolt at halftime if RG3 is the only other option.

I think it's no secret that I liked Cousins' potential. I just hope Cousins gets a chance somewhere down the line. I think he's got a lot more upside than the impression the Skins fan base was left with.

When they look back at Cousins 2014 season, I hope that folks can recall that Cousins had to play under less-than-optimal conditions against a series of tough opponents -- Philly, Arizona, Seattle, and the Giants (when their offense was clicking and the refs, cooperative). Cousins had to implement a pass-heavy, one-dimensional offense but with porous pass protection (provided by the likes of Chester, a one-legged Polumbus, and "whiffer" Helu). And it was one-dimensional because the Morris-led ground game was not clicking, partially since it couldn't run via the right side because Chester and dinged up Polumbus weren't effective with run support. Cousins was facing opponents with decent secondaries, and more ominously with aggressive/effective pash-rushing front sevens, who quickly proved they could easily overpower Foerster's o-line. (Granted, when Compton replaced Polumbus -- the o-line did get a little better but it was McCoy (and Morris/Young) who benefited by that change.). Lastly, Cousins was under pressure to put up a lot of points because Haslett's defense couldn't be relied upon to hold opponents' offense in check -- they were playing at a lower level than what they did against Dallas and San Francisco.

I think all the physical hits, the hurries, the pressures -- coupled with his having to simultaneously learn the the reality of implementing the offensive playbook, absorb and solve the nuances of the opponents' defensive schemes, and accustom himself to tendencies of the starting Skins players -- while conduct Gruden's offense in game time -- worked to erode Cousin's focus, especially when the 4th quarter rolled around. I think it's no coincidence that many of offense's errors started to cascade during the later parts of the game. Additionally,, it was very hard for Cousins to shrug off the turnovers -- because Gruden had publicly criticized Cousins on his mistakes, and strongly suggested what would happen to Cousins' starter role, if the turnovers continued. Meanwhile, half the fan base (and the owner) were expecting Griffin to take up the reins, ASAP.

But that's in the past -- and our QB tandem is nowMcCoy/Griffin

I think McCoy is well-positioned for getting a few wins. These teams (including the Colts) are somewhat beatable opponents -- and McCoy won't be asked to carry as heavy a passer's role as Cousins was, especially since the Morris-led running game has started to click and Haslett's defense is getting a bit stingier in giving up points. So I doubt we'll see any other QB besides McCoy for the rest of the 2014 season. Since I was hoping that Griffin would keep playing through his slump, I can see why he's listed at backup and not Cousins'. This way Griffin can still get some needed reps, and maybe actual playing time should a possible mop-up situation present itself. Cousins is sharp enough and sufficiently diligent that he still learn from the bench, I'm glad Cousins is not the backup.

Looking to the future, I believe Cousins will bounce back and learn from his challenging times as starter. He seems a mature young man, who can work his way through adversity. And as he gets more opportunities, a lot of things will become more automatic, the game will slow down, and he should be able to settle down and pick safer opportunities for his passing, Cousins seems like a intelligent and decent student of the game and he's shown that he the physical tools to play in the NFL. Once the game slows down -- he'll probably do fine. I can recall a lot of QBs who were benched In the early part of their careers, and who later went on to have great careers. ...And I think Cousins will join those ranks.

Cousins was benched way to fast , how long was Robert giving to mess up ? Young QBs will have there ups and downs . Kirk still ran offense better then Bobby, still was able to throw passes under same oline that Bob had troubles. Kirk is a great backup , he could become more . He wont with the Skins though . Its really starting to seem we are a graveyard for QBs

This isnt a Kirk Cousins thread, although it does involve him. For most of training camp and right until Cousins had that game against the Eagles, journalists (locally and some nationally) were trumpeting sources from the coaching staff about their belief that Cousins is better than RG3 for this offense.

Now that Cousins has been benched after poor play, what does that say about our coaching staff? Does this make you question them?

More than anything else for me, why is it hard for coaches to adjust to the talent they have? Why are they so rigid in their system?

Just a few questions. And again, this is not a Cousins thread.

No it doesn't because I don't recall the coaches ever saying that. I remember the patriots saying that and Journalist saying it, but never the coaches.

I would have respected the coaches a **** ton if they had the testicular fortitude to just say what many of us were seeing.

What I have heard the Jay say is that he has tried to adjust to Roberts "talent" but he isn't producing. This is on the coaches and we dont need to chase another group our of town. 

I just hope by the end of this season we have a clear grasp on our QB situation.  I think we obviously know Colt McCoy is not our longterm answer at QB.  Looks like we will probably let Kirk walk as well or be what he looks like, a backup QB.  We just need to know if Robert is going to be our long term answer at QB.  I don't even care if he isn't, I would just like to know where we stand.

The best we can hope for is an acknowledgement that our 2015 starter isn't on the roster today. What then? Mariota has played his entire career at Oregon from the shotgun and Winston is a knuckle-head. Where do we go from here?

Archived