Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

10 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

i don't understand this AT ALL

i hate binge watching.    Give me the enjoyment 1 hour at a time, spent over several weeks/months EVERY TIME.

you absolutely do get diminishing returns when you watch them back-to-back-to-back.....   

Not necessarily true.  Shows are written for binge watching now.  They are serialized stories with heavy continuity between episodes and intricate narratives and large casts of minor characters who are significant to the plot that can only realistically be followed by binge watching.

But even back in the day, before streaming services became popular, a lot of prestige shows were best consumed by binging.  I'm thinking specifically of all of that peak early to mid aughts **** on HBO that didn't underestimate the intelligence and attention spans of their audience, like Deadwood and John Adams and Band of Brothers and The Wire.  You got the most out of them by watching them in chunks of episodes.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I just finished John Adams.... over about the past month, or so.  

I am currently watching Deadwood... about once a week, or so .................

.... as 

........... GOD

....................intended!!

See the source image

• Haha 2

The Mayans (pilot episode) - kinda left it with a big fat "meh" feeling.  I'll give it a chance still but definitely not close to the level that SOA was.  Kind of cheesy and cliche and the acting is very suspect.   And the fact that they are dropping f-bombs on FX now feels very forced and unnecessary.

On 9/7/2018 at 4:55 PM, purbeast said:

The Mayans (pilot episode) - kinda left it with a big fat "meh" feeling.  I'll give it a chance still but definitely not close to the level that SOA was.  Kind of cheesy and cliche and the acting is very suspect.   And the fact that they are dropping f-bombs on FX now feels very forced and unnecessary.

Wow, really?

Then again, I remember FX being very close to the line, round the time I used to watch Rescue Me (10-15 years ago) and saw Patricia Velasquez's bare ass, and the basically dropped everything but the f bomb. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Wow, really?

Then again, I remember FX being very close to the line, round the time I used to watch Rescue Me (10-15 years ago) and saw Patricia Velasquez's bare ass, and the basically dropped everything but the f bomb. 

I watched the 2nd episode yesterday and I liked it more than the first, so it's growing on me.  They dropped multiple f-bombs again lol, even in Espanol with subtitles!  Definitely still a bit cheesy and it seems a bit over the top kind of how towards the end of SOA it was just completely over the top.  But, they are dealing with the cartel in this so it's a bit more believable.

Glad you are enjoying The Americans, one of the best shows I've seen in awhile.

Watching Burn Notice again, liked that show and especially liked the very end of the series.

Haven't watched Mayans yet although I recorded both episodes. 

I did watch the first episode of The Purge, recording it. Still waiting to see if I like it enough to continue.

Never really liked the idea of the Purge movies. Seemed like it could've been an interesting idea, were it not basically a somewhat subtle white supremacy plot. Felt like it was trying to dance around that too much, before diving completely into it subsequently. Just not what I envisioned when that idea/plot first came about.

Not sure if I'll watch the show yet

Edited by Mr. Sinister

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Wow, really?

the first time i heard the f bomb on television was the People vs. OJ Simpson

they dropped one on the last episode of Better Call Saul too

I'm old enough to remember when saying **** (rhymes with quit) was a big deal on tv

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This show called The Sinner is pretty bananas, two episodes in.  

I'm backing out of this one.  Jessica Biel dealing with some trauma drama.  Started off really strong, kinda wearing thin.

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Thanks @LadySkinsFan for the recommendation of The Americans. I have been binging that for the last month, and will start in on season 6 tonight.

Awesome show!

13 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Just finished Ozark season two.  Fantastic.  Ruth Langmore is the def the best character on TV today 

When she was listening to some Biggie that most people don't even know about in the car, I was like OH WAIT A MINUTE THIS CHECK IS TIGHT!!

I Got a Story to Tell is probably my all time favorite Biggie song.  At first I was like WTF THEY PLAYING THIS SONG?!?!?  Then I saw that it was her listening to it and it moved a little bit.

Saw the first two episodes of Mayans earlier and found myself unexpectedly hooked.  A couple of the twists were a little too predictable and some of the characters’ behavior/reasoning was unrealistically stupid, but overall I throught it was pretty good and the music was great as always.

Also watched an anime called Agrretsuko on Netflix tonight and watched season 1 in a sitting.  Pretty fun, though it’s definitely not for everyone.  (Unusual animation, very short, with a mini work-based sit-com type feel more than anything)

Edited by visionary

16 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

the first time i heard the f bomb on television was the People vs. OJ Simpson

they dropped one on the last episode of Better Call Saul too

I'm old enough to remember when saying **** (rhymes with quit) was a big deal on tv

Cable channels are not subject to the FCC when it comes to language and nudity (neither fit into the area of obscenity).

It's because they are pay channels.

FX, USA (the Tupac/Biggie miniseries), and other non premium channels now occasionally have adult language and some nudity on their shows. OTA channels (like ABC, NBC, et al) less so since they aren't pay channels

• Like 1

10 hours ago, visionary said:

Saw the first two episodes of Mayans earlier and found myself unexpectedly hooked.  A couple of the twists were a little too predictable and some of the characters’ behavior/reasoning was unrealistically stupid, but overall I throught it was pretty good and the music was great as always.

Also watched an anime called Agrretsuko on Netflix tonight and watched season 1 in a sitting.  Pretty fun, though it’s definitely not for everyone.  (Unusual animation, very short, with a mini work-based sit-com type feel more than anything)

You watched the Godzilla anime (Pt 1 & 2)? I thought they were very well done.

Fall TV is almost here.  I think new episodes of many shows is the last week of September and your CW shows in October.

Alot of shows I like probably are airing what will end up being their final seasons.  There don't seem to be many potential replacements on tap, at least for the fall.

Only NBC's Manifest, Netflix's The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and HBO's Camping interest me.

A sneak peak at Manifest:

Manifest trailer:

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina trailer

HBO's Camping Trailer

This article gives you premiere dates of shows on Streaming, Cable and Broadcast:

https://uproxx.com/tv/fall-tv-preview-2018-premiere-dates-new-returning-shows/

6 minutes ago, visionary said:

Not yet.  I’ll have to check it out.  I have a lot to catch up on. ?

I think with the staggering amount of shows these days, everyone is behind lol. Been meaning to ask you if you caught any of Into The Badlands S3.  Seemed like you and I are really the  only ones in the Tailgate that talk about it.

Beyond that, I need to finish up The Terror, and Nikita. By then, Daredevil S3 and The Walking Dead S9(which actually seems a bit intriguing in the previews after last seasons abject disaster) will have probably started back up.

Still haven't started in on Ozark, Narcos, or American Horror Story yet, and I've been meaning to watch that one in particular for several years.