Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Percy Harvin on the trade block

GboroGator

I think his injury problems stem from Minnesota over-using him so much each season. On the Redskins he would be in a specific role and would not be over-used as we have other playmakers, thus the injury concern would reduce.

If you're the return man, go to receiver, and used on screens and gadget plays multiple times each game, every single season, then you're at a much greater risk for injury due to overusage and the amount of tackles and hits you're facing.

For the right price, he'd be worth it. Harvin would be phenomenal in our system, especially with RG3 throwing to him and having Garcon as a complementing receiver.

I would entertain it at least instead of rejecting it out of hand like some of the previous posts. The guy is a straight-up baller but his biggest issues are his mental health and that might not be fixable. It's telling that Minny is willing to part ways with a clear talent and the 2nd best player on their team. The guy has sheer athletic ability on the level of our beloved QB (at least in the same neighborhood). Can you imagine the force multiplier of those two on the field together? At the very least, it's entertaining to imagine...

It depends on what it would take to get him.

The Brandon Marshall trade was two 3rds, I don't know if Harvin would command that, and personally, I'm hesitant to spend anything higher than a 4th for him, unless it was already in the grand plan to add a WR with our 2nd or 3rd. And we have to remember that this would be a 1 year rental, he's hitting FA next year, and will probably command a salary similar to Garcon, unless he explodes this year, in which case he might be looking for VJax money.

This is something that the FO should be on top of, just in case the bidding is all small potatoes like 4th and 5th rounders, in which case we should jump in.

His salary isn't too terrible for this year, it's something like half of Moss' money, so if we brought him on board we'd probably cut (and maybe re-sign) Moss and still have a few million left over (maybe to pay Fred Davis with?).

Also, OP may want to flesh out the first post.

Late round pick! He does have issues. If he can be had on the cheap, why not? I would take anyone with potential if they are able to be had with little impact financially or on the draft.

No way are the Vikings going to accept a late round pick for him and no way would he be "cheap". My guess would be a 2nd rounder plus a late round pick (or maybe even a 1st, who knows); despite his health and apparent attitude/maturity issues, Harvin is incredibly talented, versatile, and young...he will have plenty of market value. Some teams will be fine with taking the chance on his "issues" to get a playmaker like him on their roster. He will also no doubt command a high salary so I don't see him being "cheap" in any way. In an ideal world I certainly wouldn't mind having a player like that on the team but the cost is going to be prohibitive and I do have reservations about his maturity and potential health issues. Pass.

I'd like to have an honest discussion on the topic without incorrct distractions being brought up.

1. He's injury prone. False, he had an ankle injury this year and concussion issues previously that he seems to be past. Nothing chronic or recurring.

2. He's too expensive. False, not sure what he would go for in draft picks but given the attitude baggage I don't think I would be more than Marshall's two 3s. We don't have a lot of big holes on our team anymore that would make a deal of that size unwise. Cap space? We'd certainly sign him longterm when we trade for him, and could backload the deal enough to make it possible with the penalties this year.

So the real debate should be whether we should risk the attitude problems for someone who is young and an extremely dynamic playmaker. Personally I'd take a look and see what the Vikings are looking for. He'd be a monster with RG3 and Garçon, plus our run game.

I envison an offense that can morph from the pistol, to an up-tempo spread attack, to a traditional Shannahan west-coast, on the fly. I think a guy like Harvin along with a versitle TE who can shift outside could make that viable with RG3. And I would like to think RG3 can inspire some of the guys with questionable attitude toward more of a team 1st mentality.

Archived