Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Ed Reed: RG3 prepared Ravens for Colin Kaepernick

Coolio47

Didn't see this posted and thought it was interesting.

NEW ORLEANS -- San Francisco 49ers star Colin Kaepernick won't be the first mobile quarterback who uses the read option to face Ed Reed and the Baltimore Ravens this season.

In Week 14 of the season, Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III threw for 242 yards and one touchdown on just 26 throws in a 31-28 victory over the Ravens. Griffin was injured late in the game, but the Ravens' defense struggled against RG3.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000132430/article/ed-reed-rg3-prepared-ravens-for-colin-kaepernick

I don't know how much preparation they got, RG3 and the Redskins pretty much did what they wanted. It could just be a matter of another guy they can't stop.

Well they did slow him down in 2nd/3rd quarter... Like them or hate them... You gotta give that Ravens credit that they DO show up for the big games when they have the odds stacked against them time after time.

Well they did slow him down in 2nd/3rd quarter... Like them or hate them... You gotta give that Ravens credit that they DO show up for the big games when they have the odds stacked against them time after time.

What games would those be?

"For all that money down in D.C. man, you'd think that field would be better. That field sucks," Reed said of the Redskins' home turf at FedExField."

This made me laugh.

Me to!

I love me some Ed Reed ... how cool would it be to move Brandon to Strong and get him in hear to roam centerfield.

What games would those be?

They upset the Colts in the playoffs as an underdog a few years ago didn't they but maybe I am mistaken on that one? They trounced a favored Pats team on the road a couple years ago. Beat the Pats this year, Denver this year. Beat the Pats in the 07 regular season technically. They just had bad luck of running into Pittsburgh teams in the playoffs that beat them but they showed up for all of those as well and just lost grudge matches. Those are just off the top of my head but I am sure there are more.

"We learned that all we need to do is break his leg, and we'll be fine... Unless they have another rookie that can come in and beat us."

(BTW, I think the Ravens win. Flacco will make the difference. He's been outstanding this year.)

~Reed

The Ravens have to do something to neutralize the team speed. Kaep and James are ridiculously fast. Gore is their wrecking ball. IF they can do that and have a great game from Flacco, the ratbirds should win.

But my guess is they wont and the 9ers cruise in this one.

Edit: I would also like to add that I very much enjoy watching the Ravens play defense. They loooked a little rough to end the season, but have been putting beatdowns on teams in the playoffs. Guess the upturn happened at the right time.

"For all that money down in D.C. man, you'd think that field would be better. That field sucks," Reed said of the Redskins' home turf at FedExField."

This made me laugh.

I am sooooo happy we still have a grass field, who cares what the rest of the league thinks.

I'm not so sure he really got a dull dose of RGIII and the pistol option. Kap is good but its nowhere near RGIII's natural level of read and react. I worry about how flat he throws the ball also. Ravens' run defense has vastly improved. Both teams can win a gutter and trench ballgame. However I think Flacco is on a roll. Atlanta showed their secondary can easily be had. I like the Ravens' run D to grind the 9ers O down.

I am sooooo happy we still have a grass field, who cares what the rest of the league thinks.

I seriously doubt our players have much different to say (RGIII saying it's our "homefield advantage" was PR)

---------- Post added January-30th-2013 at 04:17 PM ----------

Sorry Ed Reed, but you're about to lose. The read option out of the pistol won't be denied.

I don't see San Frans version as potent.

"We learned that all we need to do is break his leg, and we'll be fine... Unless they have another rookie that can come in and beat us."

(BTW, I think the Ravens win. Flacco will make the difference. He's been outstanding this year.)

~Reed

Flacco outstanding this year? Dude is inconsistent as hell in the regular season but the odd thing about him though is that he is probably one of the most clutch QBs in the NFL, the anti-Romo sits to pee.

I'm glad to see this was the first type of response to that. After RG's knee, Clemons from Seattle etc, people were all kind of agreeing it needed fixed. I dunno, isn't it a good thin for opponents to literally fear our field?

---------- Post added January-30th-2013 at 06:11 PM ----------

Flacco outstanding this year? Dude is inconsistent as hell in the regular season but the odd thing about him though is that he is probably one of the most clutch QBs in the NFL, the anti-Romo sits to pee.

I'd say he has been. It's a fine line to decide when it's ok to go down the sideline to Torrey Smith or whoever, he's not just chucking it up to go deep. It's like he's really figured the game out pretty well in his time in the league. Think of it more like..the anti-Rex ;)

So Alex Smith is gonna come in at the end and throw a touchdown followed by sneaking in a 2pt conversion to go to overtime?

In all seriousness- I want the Ravens to win because I'm a huge Flacco fan-- I've even had to defend him to Ravens fans at times. What's gonna suck is that after they win, I'll have to hear Ravens fans tell me about how awesome Joe Flacco is.

It might just be the bias in me, but when I see the way Seattle and San Fran run the pistol, they seem to use Wilson/Kap more to try and catch the defense napping, a much more "opportunistic" version.

It seems like when RGIII is running the pistol/read option, he is firmly in command of what is going on, and is making the decision himself at the right time, on what to do with the ball, as opposed to "hey, I think we can trick the defense on this play"

This isn't a knock either way, as both versions have been effective, I just think there is a difference when watching how the three teams use the formation.

Also, I'm over the 'Skins loss now, but I am tired of all these johnny-come-lately folks acting like Harbaugh and Kap invented the read option.

It might just be the bias in me, but when I see the way Seattle and San Fran run the pistol, they seem to use Wilson/Kap more to try and catch the defense napping, a much more "opportunistic" version.

It seems like when RGIII is running the pistol/read option, he is firmly in command of what is going on, and is making the decision himself at the right time, on what to do with the ball, as opposed to "hey, I think we can trick the defense on this play"

This isn't a knock either way, as both versions have been effective, I just think there is a difference when watching how the three teams use the formation.

Also, I'm over the 'Skins loss now, but I am tired of all these johnny-come-lately folks acting like Harbaugh and Kap invented the read option.

RG3 will be back soon ;)

I'm glad to see this was the first type of response to that. After RG's knee, Clemons from Seattle etc, people were all kind of agreeing it needed fixed. I dunno, isn't it a good thin for opponents to literally fear our field?

On a psychological level? Maybe? The thing is, once the game starts, the field doesn't become an issue. You just play. Soldier Field's turf is horrible, everyone knows it, people have gotten hurt on it, but it doesn't stop teams from beating the Bears their.

On a strict playing field level, I rewatch our games, and we look like a different football team when we play on Field Turff. We've got a lot of speed on the team. Some of our best offense gaves came on Field Turf. I look at that as an advantage for us, whatever people think about football "being meant to be played in the grass and dirt" and all that other crap.

On a health issue, our field is a ****ing mess and it's not an advantage of any kind if our players are just as likely to get hurt as the other team. And furthermore, the goal shouldn't be for our field to injure anyone.

Besides that, Ed Reed's comments are bull****. A bad field didn't stop the Ravens defense. They got outplayed and out executed a lot of that game. The field was secondary, if it was even a factor at all; lord knows the field was in better shape at that point than it would be a few weeks later.

Archived