Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Ed Reed: RG3 prepared Ravens for Colin Kaepernick

Coolio47

Kap is nothing but a watered- down RGIII. It's nothing but disrespectful to compare the two like the media had done.

Ravens defense, considering their age... Did what they had to do, and did it when it mattered the most.

RGIII makes and executes so much faster and with better decision making than Kap, and he's (quite often) making several reads at once. Where Kap is merely doing a play-action.

Watching the 49ers offense, made me appreciate ours even more.

Agreed. The post was made in the game thread that it looks like Kaep is told beforehand to either hand it to the RB or keep it (on "read option" plays). Griff rides the RB and reads the D. Kaep doesn't look like he does.

I don't think there is any way in hell that RG3 doesn't score on that last drive. Four downs that close to the end zone? No way. Absolutely terrible play calling there too. Calling was great until then.

That's what I was thinking. The play calling at the end was horrible. They basically had diagrams of the play on full display for the Ravens to see. Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman should be ashamed of themselves.

Some observations over the playoffs with the Niners pistol:

1) Kaep is late with some of the throws into the flat that need to be quicker

2) He really doesn't read the end as well as Griffin does. He had several opportunities to pull the ball back in, but gave it to Gore for 3 yard gains instead. He could have gashed the Ravens on the outside.

3) He changes the play too much, at least he did in this game. Looked like he audibled WAY too much and second guessed himself and the play.

He spent too much trying to be perfect instead of just going out an executing. That's one of the downsides of handing a young quarterback so much control in terms of protections and audibles.

This also goes to prove that if you're going to run the pistol, you need to go all in from the start with it. Everyone wondered why Kyle wouldn't have RGIII execute more from under center in training camp and why the only ever worked Robert out of the pistol, and thought that was going to hurt his development. But no one executed the pistol better than us this season, period, and we did just enough from under center, and out of shotgun, and we diversified our run calls just enough to keep offenses out of wack.

Kaepernick is going to be a really good quarterback in this league, but he showed his inexperience last night. The Niners moved the ball on the Ravens pretty much at will; it wasn't like they just completely stopped it. At times it felt more like the Niners were stopping themselves. Kap flat out missed some open guys. The effort of a guy like Randy Moss was pretty damn pathetic.

You don't score 29 points and make one of the greatest rallies in Super Bowl history if you don't have an offense that works. But Kap---and I really do like Kaepernick---is not RG3. As Phil Simms pointed out, Kap doesn't anticipated his throws; he needs to see a guy open before he throws it. Now, if his guy is open, he'll let it rip; he made some ridiculously pretty throws. But if it looks like his guy isn't open on that first read, he won't throw it until the guy gets enough seperation where he feels comfortable. His play fakes and his ball handling aren't nearly as good as RG3. Frank Gore is on record as not really liking the offense and it showed in this game. One of Gore's best attributes is usually his patience, but it's more so out of a regular offense than out of the pistol; he rushes it in the pistol, and he's not careful handling the ball.

If you're going to utilize the pistol, you have to go all in on it.

I don't think there is any way in hell that RG3 doesn't score on that last drive. Four downs that close to the end zone? No way. Absolutely terrible play calling there too. Calling was great until then.

I don't think it's that easy to score from the 5-yard line especially against a defense like the Ravens. The playcalling was bad but punching it in is no easy task. In addition, the Skins couldn't get it in from the one against the Panthers this year so even RG3 would've had a hard time too in a similar scenario.

Kap is nothing but a watered- down RGIII. It's nothing but disrespectful to compare the two like the media had done.

Ravens defense, considering their age... Did what they had to do, and did it when it mattered the most.

RGIII makes and executes so much faster and with better decision making than Kap, and he's (quite often) making several reads at once. Where Kap is merely doing a play-action.

Watching the 49ers offense, made me appreciate ours even more.

He gets the same results tho, that's all that matters.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:09 AM ----------

That's two different things. No way RG3 doesn't score, or no way RG3 doesn't score even with those play calls. Even RG3 can't always overcome questionable play calling, so if he'd got saddled with those plays, who knows what would've happened.

I don't think it's that easy to score from the 5-yard line especially against a defense like the Ravens. The playcalling was bad but punching it in is no easy task. In addition, the Skins couldn't get it in from the one against the Panthers this year so even RG3 would've had a hard time too in a similar scenario.

That;s true. Although, I'd like to think that if RG3 (healthy) had to do it over again now, he'd be able to get it in there... that 7 game win streak spoke volumes... heck we schooled the Seahawks and went up 14-0 before he re-tweaked his knee.

He gets the same results tho, that's all that matters.

No, he doesn't and it isn't really a debate IMO. He had a great game against a Green Bay defense that was HORRIBLE. His performance against the Saints, was a joke.

SanFrans "version" of the read-option IS what the defenses will stop/figure out. What teams cannot stop, is RGIII's decision making (quickness, accuracy, speed).

RGIII is beyond underrated in the area of comparing what Kap does and what he does. RGIII is making MANY reads at a split-second timeframe. There are plays where he's reading the defensive end/OLB as well as looking downfield at the LB/Safety for their coverage.

If SanFran had RGIII/Morris, they win.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:13 AM ----------

Our backup QB could, and did. Twice.

One thing about those last couple plays is that I think Kaepernick threw the ball too quickly on third and fourth down. With his speed, he needs to move around and give guys a shot to shake free. On third down, even if he completes that pass, they've gained 2 yards. On fourth down, if he breaks the pocket instead of just throwing the ball up, he either scores or has an easy TD pass to someone.

No, he doesn't and it isn't really a debate IMO. He had a great game against a Green Bay defense that was HORRIBLE. His performance against the Saints, was a joke.

SanFrans "version" of the read-option IS what the defenses will stop/figure out. What teams cannot stop, is RGIII's decision making (quickness, accuracy, speed).

RGIII is beyond underrated in the area of comparing what Kap does and what he does. RGIII is making MANY reads at a split-second timeframe. There are plays where he's reading the defensive end/OLB as well as looking downfield at the LB/Safety for their coverage.

If SanFran had RGIII/Morris, they win.

How does he NOT get the same results? His stats are strikingly similar to RG3s. Roughly the same avg per carry, same avg per pass, QB rating, TD/INT ratio, Kap has a better QBR, and he won 7 out of 11, including the playoffs. So what if he makes more reads, he's not doing anything that Kap didn't do in terms of actual results on the field. He almost threw for 10 yards per pass in the postseason. That's insane.

This nitpicking is the same kind of silly stuff that was used to try and separate Luck and RG3. So RG3 makes more reads than Kap, he doesn't get a cookie for that. Just the same as Luck didn't get one for what he did that RG3 didn't do, and vice versa.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:35 AM ----------

One thing about those last couple plays is that I think Kaepernick threw the ball too quickly on third and fourth down. With his speed, he needs to move around and give guys a shot to shake free. On third down, even if he completes that pass, they've gained 2 yards. On fourth down, if he breaks the pocket instead of just throwing the ball up, he either scores or has an easy TD pass to someone.

I thought that too, especially on the last 3rd down. I thought he had a lot more time than he made it seem to maybe scramble around like you say. He decided he was gonna throw to Crabtree pretty early and basically took everyone else out of the play.

@Justice98- I am not "nitpicking". The comparing of the 2 in regards to their offensive schemes and ability is what I'm talking about. Without going back and looking, I don't recall mentioning ANYthing with stats. Stats are easily misleading and more times than not, are. Caomparing Luck and everything else, not only is that something else I haven't done but it's apples and oranges.

Leading up to the Super Bowl, all the comparisons to RGIII were made by the "experts" and media. That is where "silly" comes in, because Kap does not have RGIII's skills or talent- in any capacity.

How does he not get the same results? I dunno, maybe beating a common opponent?

The playcalling was atrocious. This is what I would have called, assuming it gets to 4th down:

1st down on the 7- Gore needed a breather. I would have ran the ball like they did, but out of a more traditional look with the FB. I think with this, you get 4 yards instead of 2 and you're now 2nd a goal on the 3.

2nd down on the 3- Bring Gore back in and run the Pistol Zone Read. At worse, you get a yard, maybe 2 or even score. Ravens had Ngata out. Let's say they gain 2 yards on a QB keeper off the ZR.

3rd and goal at the 1- This really puts the Ravens in a bind. You could fake the run and try and hit Vernon Davis on a seam route. I think the Niners score here, but let's say they don't and it's 4th down.

4th and goal at the 1- Again, the defense is on their heels because you have the option of running or throwing. I would go pistol, 4 wide, spread the defense out and tell Kaep, if you don't see anything on your first 2 reads, run it in.

The playcalling was atrocious. This is what I would have called, assuming it gets to 4th down:

1st down on the 7- Gore needed a breather. I would have ran the ball like they did, but out of a more traditional look with the FB. I think with this, you get 4 yards instead of 2 and you're now 2nd a goal on the 3.

2nd down on the 3- Bring Gore back in and run the Pistol Zone Read. At worse, you get a yard, maybe 2 or even score. Ravens had Ngata out. Let's say they gain 2 yards on a QB keeper off the ZR.

3rd and goal at the 1- This really puts the Ravens in a bind. You could fake the run and try and hit Vernon Davis on a seam route. I think the Niners score here, but let's say they don't and it's 4th down.

4th and goal at the 1- Again, the defense is on their heels because you have the option of running or throwing. I would go pistol, 4 wide, spread the defense out and tell Kaep, if you don't see anything on your first 2 reads, run it in.

Well the Ravens were going to die with the blitz and they showed this much at the end, so by the time he made his 2nd read... Game's over..

I think the end results are all that matters in a bottom line business. If we're talking about results, stats and wins are the tangible results. This notion that it's not even a debate is pure homerism. There's no clear winners here.

I don't think this part even matters either, but humoring you for a minute, they share some common opponents, and lost some and won some against the same people. So that doesn't prove anything. For instance, RG3 lost to Atl (at home), Kap beat Atl in the championship game (on the road). RG3 beat the Giants, Kap lost to the Giants. They both beat New Orleans. And RG3 was losing the Ravens game when he went out, so that's an incomplete. What common opponent are you referring to?

Well the Ravens were going to die with the blitz and they showed this much at the end, so by the time he made his 2nd read... Game's over..

No. Not if you watch it again. He could have retreated 5 yards and rolled to the right (basically the reverse of the play he scored on earlier in the game). At that point, he's out by himself and he either can score or force a DB to come get him while he throws to the vacated WR.

Edit...I realize that I'm second-guessing a split-second decision. I'm not really bashing Kap, just mentioning what might have worked given the play-call. He threw the ball way too early on the final two snaps.

I think the end results are all that matters in a bottom line business. If we're talking about results, stats and wins are the tangible results. This notion that it's not even a debate is pure homerism. There's no clear winners here.

I don't think this part even matters either, but humoring you for a minute, they share some common opponents, and lost some and won some against the same people. So that doesn't prove anything. For instance, RG3 lost to Atl (at home), Kap beat Atl in the championship game (on the road). RG3 beat the Giants, Kap lost to the Giants. They both beat New Orleans. And RG3 was losing the Ravens game when he went out, so that's an incomplete. What common opponent are you referring to?

Humoring me? lol... Kap didn't lose to the Giants, he got his ass kicked (AT HOME). But you want to not give credit for the Ravens game, but fail to mention the Falcons game RGIII was put out on a potential go ahead drive around the their 10 yd line? Their performances against New Orleans are comparable? Are you serious?

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 10:25 AM ----------

No. Not if you watch it again. He could have retreated 5 yards and rolled to the right (basically the reverse of the play he scored on earlier in the game). At that point, he's out by himself and he either can score or force a DB to come get him while he throws to the vacated WR.

Edit...I realize that I'm second-guessing a split-second decision. I'm not really bashing Kap, just mentioning what might have worked given the play-call. He threw the ball way too early on the final two snaps.

I recall them bringing pressure the last drive, but I'll take your word for it.

Humoring me? lol... Kap didn't lose to the Giants, he got his ass kicked (AT HOME). But you want to not give credit for the Ravens game, but fail to mention the Falcons game RGIII was put out on a potential go ahead drive around the their 10 yd line? Their performances against New Orleans are comparable? Are you serious?

You can't give RG3 credit for something that didn't happen. Potential go ahead drives aren't actual go ahead drives. You can't assume a TD there.

But I see what I'm dealing with. Kaepernick wasn't even the starter in the Giant game, Alex Smith was. So explain how you're gonna claim Kaepernick got his ass kicked? He played 9 snaps in that game (and 7 of 'em were in the last 2 minutes of the game).

You can't give RG3 credit for something that didn't happen. Potential go ahead drives aren't actual go ahead drives. You can't assume a TD there.

But I see what I'm dealing with. Kaepernick wasn't even the starter in the Giant game, Alex Smith was. So explain how you're gonna claim Kaepernick got his ass kicked? He played 9 snaps in that game (and 7 of 'em were in the last 2 minutes of the game).

I didn't know Kap was or wasn't in the game against the Giants YOU brought that game up.

That's two different things. No way RG3 doesn't score, or no way RG3 doesn't score even with those play calls. Even RG3 can't always overcome questionable play calling, so if he'd got saddled with those plays, who knows what would've happened.

I'd agree although Kaepernick seemed to panic a little on both the two point conversion and the final play.

I love my main man Griffin, its ironic and dissappointing to hear some of our fans kill Kaep.

Makes me wonder what they would think of Griffin if he wasn't our QB?

Kaep and Griffin are very similar in skillset, playing style and in scheme.

I hear ya. They are both tremendous talents with great careers ahead of them.

Man, if only RG3 had the size of Kap though.

I hear ya. They are both tremendous talents with great careers ahead of them.

Man, if only RG3 had the size of Kap though.

I have full faith that Griffin can and will learn how to protect himself better.

For me I don't think it was a difference in size that caused Griff to get banged up but a difference in awareness (when/how/why to get down and avoid contact).

I love my main man Griffin, its ironic and dissappointing to hear some of our fans kill Kaep.

Makes me wonder what they would think of Griffin if he wasn't our QB?

Kaep and Griffin are very similar in skillset, playing style and in scheme.

It's fatigue.

For the better part of the last two week (hell, longer than that) we've heard about how awesome the pistol and read-option are and how Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick and the Niners and Seahawks basically innovated this offense with nary a mention of RG3. And part of that is just that he got hurt and the Redskins were knocked out of the playoffs, but it's been one of the more frustrating aspects of the last month or so of football. Neither or those teams ran that offense until the mid point of the season.

It's hard when all season long you hear about how simple our offense is and how that was used as a knock on RG3's great rookie season, and then the playoffs happen, and two teams that didn't even use the offense until we had success with it get credited as innovators and all the talk about how "simple" they make it for Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick isn't there. It's even more frustrating when you consider that the Seahawks and 49ers didn't have as many elements in their pistol offenses as we had in ours.

It's the compounding of a heap of credit being put on the Niners for adopting this offense while also saying that RG3 played in a simple offense, not to mention a lot of Niners and Seahawks fans bad mouthing RG3 just ultimately effects everyone's viewpoint. Not fair really, but at this point, I'm happy the season is over so I don't have to deal with the talk anymore.

Archived