Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the greatest thing in Mother Nature you seen?

757SeanTaylor21

What is the greatest thing you seen happen in Mother Nature?

I remember I was riding the bus one day and me and the bus driver was real cool so we used to talk about everything from God to football to whatever. He told me a story about peregrine falcons in the area and described what he seen a few times but I didn't believe him. One day we was riding along and on the side of the road there was a dead falcon and he said that's the bird I been telling you about man they're amazing to watch. Not so long after that day, I got on the bus and we rode a few stops. I noticed on the light pole about 30 pidgeons and he said look look up there, it's coming. And I get up and I notice this peregrine falcon just freediving; all the pidgeons scouring all over and as the falcon got closer he opened his wings and came out that break so fast. All the pidgeons split up and that falcon just snatched it so fast and left. I was in awe and was so pumped! I had no desire to see the pidgeons get away at all!

What have you seen?

La Plata tornado (F4 IIRC) in the spring of 2002. I remember driving past what was left of a CVS and it looked like a bomb had gone off. Seeing trees completely stripped and houses demolished... surreal to say the least.

I'm too young to remember Hurricane Andrew, but as far as experiencing a storm is concerned, it would have to be Hurricane Isabell, getting power knocked out for over 5 days, seeing green/red lightning, and getting lifted off of the ground by high winds.

The Cicada invasion of 2004 was pretty cool as well, just listening to the sound they made, and seeing how many there were.

Sitting with a family group of mountain gorillas in the impenetrable forest after a brutal climb up a mountain at the Uganda/Congo border...

It was really magical. They were so human and intelligent with each other. Playing, laughing, arguing, eating, etc. Then to remember that there are less than 700 of them left in the wild - made me feel super lucky.

Yosemite national park. I haven't been to many national parks but the beauty of this place just floored me.

When I was about 8 we went to this aquaculture operation somewhere out in the Pacific (with my parents) off an island. They are these big nets off shore, think like livestock except for fish in the ocean. I went snorkeling in one of these netted areas and came face to face with a giant fish. Thing was bigger than me! I swam for the surface right quick.

The Northern Lights up in Alaska. Seriously, just an amazing thing to sit and look at. There is absolutely nothing like sitting on top of a mountain with a snowboard strapped on, waiting on the last run of the day... and then the Northern Lights kick up in the sky. It's awesome.

If "great" means "large", then the 38 inches of snow on my 17th birthday in NOVA. The cabin fever got to be crazy, but we didn't lose power, and TV antenna didn't fall off the house.

Btw, all of us finished crocheting our afghans in the time off from school. My brother had to use the snowblade to make a path for the dogs to do their business, the snow was taller than the front porch.

Hmmm.

Blizzard of '96 - still the gold standard for the East Coast for snowstorms in the last 50 years. Helped that I was young enough to make tunnels.

Hurricane Isabelle - This slightly over Floyd because I've never seen that many downed trees in my life.

There are a bunch of fantastic things you see just walking through the Appalachian mountains. Animals, sunsets etc.

2 weeks ago a pair of bald eagles flew into a treetop about 50 feet away and raucously carried on.. they may hav e been mating, but they both had the white head and tail, and i don't know enough about bald eagles to know if they were both the same sex or not.

So, they were either screwing or arguing loudly. After about 40 seconds of screeching, they both lit off.

A few years ago a few friends and i were playing tennis at sunset,, and the clouds were in such a way that just before the sun dipped under the horizon, there was like a tunnel of golden light against this deep purple sky.. looked cool, but then these geese flew toward us and overhead, and they were righti n this tunnel of light, so when they went by, their tailfeathers were lit up like fire, and because of this tunnel of light, as they continued away, the glow on their tails got brighter, and it literally looked like a group of six firelights flying away.

~Bang

The greatest thing: The earth's ability to sustain itself despite some of the **** our species does to it, more specifically though our system of streams, rivers, inlets, bays, and oceans that continue to filter and refresh our planet's water. And plate techtonics, which more or less ensure that everything gets recycled.

The most impressive thing: Those two blizzards during snowmaggedon.

Archived