Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook hates: Beer Snobs and Hipsters with their stupid goddamn IPAs

Westbrook36

Let's face it. IPA's are the lifted truck of the beer world. Everybody who knows nothing about beer wants one, there are millions of them everywhere, and they are all terrible. Well, most of them. Some have enough malt in them to balance them out and make them quite palatable. But they are rare. Very rare.

It seems like all anybody cares or talks about anymore are IPA's. It's like you're "cool" and part of the "club" when you talk about hops making beer bitter. You go to the beer store, and it's all IPA's everywhere. To top it off, they aren't even good IPA's. They're all completely ****ing unbalanced, disgusting, bitter garbage, with trendy names like "Octopus Cat" and "Horse***ed Zombie" and everybody loves them. In fact most of them taste like somebody shot a cannon full of hops into Sasquatch's ***hole and then he **** them back out onto your face.

For the love of Christ, stop drinking this **** and creating a market for this festering **** juice. It is a typical hipster fad. I was at a bar and three jack-****s were talking about ****lickers IPA or whatever they were drinking. JF#1 is saying how it's good, but not as hoppy as ****slobber. They were making faces like they were drinking camel piss with each drink. I think it was called blueberry oatmeal horse**** beer. I heard the word "hoppy" at least a dozen times.

A close second to the annoyance of idiots talking about IPAs while holding their nose to drink them is your friend/relative who brews ****ty terrible beer and forces you to try it whenever you are in their presence. Hey awesome, you can buy a case of beer made by real brewers with real equipment, you can stop filling your bathtub with swill using your 100 dollar starter brewing kit. Grow up.

:ols:

Love a good IPA, it's basically all I drink.

Stone, Sierra Nevada, Loose Cannon, and Dogfish Head among my favs. And no, I have never had an IPA that's "too bitter."

So I guess what I'm saying is "eat it, ya pansy with the bud light piss you probably drink." :)

Edit- I fully acknowledge that there are a lot of sub-par IPAs out there, but then again there is a lot of sub-par beer in general

Is it bad that I actuall agree with Westbrook?

I was in Annapolis for Turkey day, went to the local beverage store and what do my eyes behold, but a fridge full of macro cases, and a pathetic attempt at a micro-brew fridge dominated by IPA's, I finally walked away with a Boston Lager because there wasn't room for Winter Lager. :doh:

I agree completely, there's nothing worse than beer snobs. I've only been over the legal age for a few years now so I just assumed these beer snobs had always been prevalent, so you're telling me that these beer snobs have been ushered in by the hipster era? Makes me despise hipsters even more.

Ok, I'm not a drinker, so what in the hell is an "IPA"?

And anyone else find it ironic that Westbrook, an Eagles fan, is now starting a thread on drinking?

A beer that typically tastes much worse than regular beer but has a ton more alcohol. And is typically made by a small/family owned brewing company therefore making it "non-mainstream" compared to regular beers that are made by massive corporations. Which leads to hipsters loving IPAs.

I've been saying it for years, IPAs are a good batch of beer ruined. Before refrigeration brewmasters ruined their beer with extra hops on purpose so it would make a journey across the world without spoiling.

Nowadays we have refrigeration. Drink a Lager and STFU. Thanks in advance

I've been saying it for years, IPAs are a good batch of beer ruined. Before refrigeration brewmasters ruined their beer with extra hops on purpose so it would make a journey across the world without spoiling.

Nowadays we have refrigeration. Drink a Lager and STFU. Thanks in advance

applause. Yes, I agree as well. I can't stand IPAs. 30/60/72 hour IPAs—they taste like dog piss to me. I can live without them. To each his own and all that but I've given numerous varieties numerous times and I don't like 'em

IPAs suck, and I too am getting tired of the trend. A lot of taprooms are buying into the craze which sucks. They are almost always terrible and have stupid names, and yes hipsters can't get enough of them. Blech.

Slide me a Yuengling or a Sam Adams and I'm happy. If I'm trying to be cheap I will even tolerate a light beer like PBR, and that is still a better option than an IPA.

If you really want to be a beer snob then you go German and ask for a Warsteiner or Weinstephaner.

This thread makes me laugh. "You have different tastes than me, so **** you! I'm right!" :ols:

I will agree that there are a lot of bad IPA's out there. It's easy to make a beer bitter, tougher to make it properly balanced with a nice hoppy profile. It also doesn't help that the fresh hoppy aromas generally fade a month or two after a beer is bottled, since most of the beers you'll buy at the store are going to be older than that, they will frequently have all of the bitterness with almost none of the great hoppy flavor the beer was intended to contain.

I will say that when I was in college I hated hoppy beers, but loved stouts and porters. Over time I've come to appreciate more hoppy beers and now they're some of my favorites. I even had a Double IPA fermenting in my house right now, right next to a very mild bodied amber ale. I think they'll both be delicious.

I will go as far as saying I think IPAs have gotten too much of the spotlight lately at the expense of other types of tasty beer, but that's all.

I enjoy the taste, and it always makes me laugh and shake my head inside when someone has a hard time recognizing taste for what it is, which is to say a matter of opinion. Not that I expected much more than semi-focused whining from a "Westbrook36 hates" thread.

IPAs suck, and I too am getting tired of the trend. A lot of taprooms are buying into the craze which sucks. They are almost always terrible and have stupid names, and yes hipsters can't get enough of them. Blech.

Slide me a Yuengling or a Sam Adams and I'm happy. If I'm trying to be cheap I will even tolerate a light beer like PBR, and that is still a better option than an IPA.

If you really want to be a beer snob then you go German and ask for a Warsteiner or Weinstephaner.

It's all subjective. I love beer, but don't care for wheat beers, rice beers, or weak beers.

I'm not young, not a beer snob, nor am I a hipster, but I like flavorful beers, including some of the hoppy beers. I'll grant that many of them blow, but some of them are very flavorful. I developed a taste for good beer when we lived in Europe in the late 70's and early 80's. We travelled to Germany frequently back then. The best beer was the locally brewed stuff that came in the plain brown bottles.

Warsteiner? My Uncle worked for a distributor and gave me a couple of cases. It ain't that good. Wanna be a beer snob? Order any Belgian beer. That **** is terrible..

A beer that typically tastes much worse than regular beer but has a ton more alcohol. And is typically made by a small/family owned brewing company therefore making it "non-mainstream" compared to regular beers that are made by massive corporations. Which leads to hipsters loving IPAs.

You're pretty far off. You're talking about craft brews from microbreweries, not IPAs. There are a ton of craft brew style beers that are mainstream today. You can find beers like Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Saranac, or Magic Hat in any Podunk gas station or Grocery store that sells beer. Sam Adams was kind of a trailblazer in making craft brews mainstream back in the 80's. Big change from the 60s and 70s when Coors was a luxury because you couldn't buy it on the East coast.

An IPA is an India Pale Ale, they've been brewed since the 1800's. It's basically just a lighter colored beer that's especially hoppy. It's a very English and American style.

I'll drink almost any style of beer, and though I usually prefer heavy, malty dark beers, I enjoy enjoy extremely hoppy beers too. The people bagging on IPAs because they can't handle the bitterness of a hoppy beer sound pretty wussy.

I'm not really sure how IPAs got equated with hipsters. That's a totally random ass thing Westbrook made up.

I like pretty much all beer...Just drink whatever, who cares. Isn't is snobby of you to accuse others of being beer snobs?

Ahh I was wondering if anyone else would catch the irony inherent in the OP. Bravo sir. :cheers: I'll drink most any beer outside of the old school crap like Bud, Black Label, Coors, Schlitz, etc. In fact I see that old school crap served in a lot of the hipster joints nowadays.

I prefer dark beers but a nice IPA is good too. But then that might just be the camel piss pale ale I've been drinking for the past few hours talking. ;) FWIW, the OP was one of the better rants I've seen around this joint...almost up there with the strawberry milk. Though not on board with the right team I think Westbrook is a keeper.

Oh, and what the hell is a lifted truck anyways?

Archived