Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

foxnews: Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/10/30/disney-buying-tar-wars-maker-lucasfilm-for-405b/

LOS ANGELES – Disney is paying $4.05 billion to buy Lucasfilm Ltd., the production company behind "Star Wars," from its chairman and founder, George Lucas. It's also making a seventh movie in the "Star Wars" series.

The Walt Disney Co. announced the agreement to make the purchase in cash and stock Tuesday. Disney added that "Star Wars Episode 7" is scheduled for release in 2015.

The deal brings Lucasfilm under the Disney banner with other brands including Pixar, Marvel, ESPN and ABC.

Kathleen Kennedy, the current co-chairman of Lucasfilm, will become its president and report to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Lucas will be creative consultant on new "Star Wars" films.

Lucas said in a statement, "It's now time for me to pass `Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers."

Does this mean they're gonna stop changing them?

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 04:27 PM ----------

Wow, didn't really expect that they'd make any more films.

Wonder what direction they'll go, both with the storyline and with the director.

Johny Depp as Grand Admiral Thrawn. :)

I never really thought how I'd feel about more Star Wars movies (non-Lucas ones) until I read this. I'm actually excited. The Star Wars of my childhood will always be the original trilogy so I don't really see this as something that can be "ruined" by more being made. It would be cool if they kept releasing stories following both main and spin-off characters. I'm down with it. It's an existing foundation with tons of potential, so why wouldn't you use it and add to it?

I'm excited if this is actually true. Huge news.

I'd like to see some very kid-centric movies made too. I don't mean that the actual movies should be geared toward kids, but that there should be kid versions of the existing films made (cartoons, cleaned up to avoid sadness or violence, etc.). My kids LOVE my Star Wars toys but they are 3 and 5...I think even Return of the Jedi is a little too much for them. If there was a one-hour version of each movie with all action and creatures, they would LOVE it. My son sleeps with Jabba the Hutt in his bed right now.

Talk about a golden opportunity to breathe desperately wanted life back into the most iconic of all film franchises. One can hope.

I dunno. I'm just not sure Disney is the one that can do it. I hope I'm wrong though, since I'd love to see the franchise rise again.

Even if they all turn out to be like Episode III, I'd be happy.

There is an opportunity here to do something huge. I don't know if the stories for EP 7, 8 and 9 have already been outlined. I think "yes" with books and stuff like that. Doesn't mean they have to follow the same storyline. Its worth it to really get the right writers, director and producer for something like that.

Cool think is, if they jump forward a few decades, some of the cast (assuming they like boatloads of money) won't need a ton of make up.

I dunno. I'm just not sure Disney is the one that can do it. I hope I'm wrong though, since I'd love to see the franchise rise again.

Even if they all turn out to be like Episode III, I'd be happy.

They're all going to have Ewoks.

Cartoon Ewoks.

Hope they don't move out of the Presidio. :(

Seriously, this has to be good news. Imagine the Star Wars universe without George's insane need for endless ewoks and gungans to appeal to the kids.

Imagine how awesome a Josh Wheden Star Wars movie would be.

No...I'm freaking out. The prequels didn't **** up the old characters so I was okay but this...Idk.

Yes they did. Anakin Skywalker shattered my image of Darth Vader. The suit remains cool looking (as long as you don't look too closely at that front panel) but the man in the suit is burned crippled corpse of a whiny brat that made a habit of getting his ass kicked by other jedi.

The only thing better than the possibility of more star wars movies...is more star wars movies WITHOUT lucas writing/directing. That guy couldn't write a half decent scene of dialogue if his life depended on it.

I guess the big question is, with an Ep 7, do you completely reboot with all new characters, or keep some connection to the old characters (which also lets you bring back some of the original actors if you want).

lots of options for a basic story arc with the old characters, like:

Leia and Han have a child, who Luke, recognizing a new and potent evil threat to the universe, is training as his protege because he can't do it by himself anymore.

They eventually defeat whoever, with the kid landing the death blow, but in the process he has become drunk with the power of the dark side.

Luke must seek out and, with the agonized help of Han and Leia, kill his nephew, once again saving the universe.

I recall a fan made script floating around that was supposed to be episode 7. It was really good!

I'm very interested in seeing many of the reunited cast of the original trilogy. (you know it'll happen.)

I've never read any of the short novels that were released about StarWars. But I often wonder... what happened to Han Solo? Did he continue to smuggle or did he marry Princess Leia?

They could even tie in the 2nd trilogy too if they wanted.

It's clear that it couldn't be just one film. It would have to be a trilogy. Didn't Lucas have something like 12 episodes of rough drafts (counting the original trilogy and second)?

Archived