Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Huff Post: Chick-Fil-A Agrees To Cease Funding To Anti-Gay Organizations, Chicago LGBT Group Claims

Predicto

Could Chick-fil-A be turning over a new leaf?

A Chicago-based lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) advocacy group reports that the restaurant chain -- which was at the epicenter of a media firestorm this summer after its president confirmed his company's anti-gay stance -- has agreed to cease donations to right-wing groups that oppose same-sex marriage.

In a press release, the Civil Rights Agenda (TCRA) cites Alderman Moreno as confirming that Chick-fil-A officials declared in an internal document that the company "will treat every person equally, regardless of sexual orientation." TCRA reportedly served as an advisor to Alderman as he negotiated these concessions with Chick-fil-A executives, though details of exactly what those negotiations entailed remain unclear.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/19/chick-fil-a-anti-gay-organizations-funding-ceased_n_1896580.html

As an aside, I note that the earlier Chik-Fil-A thread was closed by Jumbo, with the admonition: "Don't start another one on this topic for at least a month unless there's some really huge news. :) " It's been more than a month, and I think this is (may be) really huge news (admittedly, it's kind of unclear what exactly happened). :whoknows:

I'm not sure this is much more than PR. The organization wasn't officially anti-LGBT before, it was just that the President personally financially supported anti-LGBT groups.
Yeah, I don't think anything has really changed, other than some stronger language in Chick Fil-A's anti-discrimination policy.

A Chicago alderman who made national headlines during the summer for opposing a Chick-fil-A in his increasingly trendy Northwest Side ward has reversed course, saying he will let the fast-food chain open a store in Logan Square.

Ald. Proco "Joe" Moreno, 1st, said the restaurant has agreed to include a statement of respect for all sexual orientations in an internal document and promised that its not-for-profit arm would not contribute money to groups that oppose gay marriage.

Though Moreno said he scored a "big win," the company made nearly identical pledges in a July 19 Facebook post that went up even before Moreno took issue with Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy's opposition to gay marriage.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-chick-fil-a-chicago-0919-20120919,0,3725045.story

If the president/CEO of CFA is still supporting these discriminatory groups, and he gets his money from CFA profits, then I'm still not buying anything from that store.

Agreed. No more cult company "hate chicken" for me....though I'm not even going to lie and say I don't miss their food because it's the best in the fast food biz.

The response to this has been kind of confusing to me. It seems that Chick-Fil-A has backed off whatever official anti-LGBT stance they had and yet people still seem to be on the boycott bandwagon. Is there something I missed? Doesn't this mean the LGBT community "won" this fight? Isn't this what you wanted them to stop doing? Why is there still resentment?

The response to this has been kind of confusing to me. It seems that Chick-Fil-A has backed off whatever official anti-LGBT stance they had and yet people still seem to be on the boycott bandwagon. Is there something I missed? Doesn't this mean the LGBT community "won" this fight? Isn't this what you wanted them to stop doing? Why is there still resentment?

Agreed. It's like the hating and boycotting was for nothing other than the sake of hating. What other outcome would make them happy?

If the argument is that the president will still support the anti-gay organizations... who cares. It's his personal money, he can do with it what he pleases just like anyone else can do with theirs. The company itself is no longer supporting those organizations, so what's the beef?

Agreed. It's like the hating and boycotting was for nothing other than the sake of hating.

Way off base with this sentiment. Wow, way to trivialize the honest sentiments of the people around you.

What other outcome would make them happy?

I do agree that it's a very positive sign that Chick-fil-A itself will not have its corporate profits leveraged to fight against marriage equality. It is a very valuable warning to other companies whose private ownership might consider doing (and sometimes do do) the same thing.

But after learning about the bigoted personality at the head of the Chick-fil-A corporation and his steadfast stance against marriage equality, people have every right to be skeptical of a "change in policy" which was not even announced by the company itself.

I shared today's development with friends as "good news," and many of them were skeptical for exactly the same reason as the folks in this thread. Cathy can donate his own money to anti-equality political groups if he so chooses, but folks are still going to know where that money came from. It came from their own pockets if they eat at Chick-fil-A, and they have no more intention of enabling that today than they had of enabling the corporate donations yesterday.

I suspect the reason why Chick-fil-A won't make any official statement (so far) is probably fairly benign: they are a business and they'd just be pissing off the anti-gay sad sacks who jammed their stores on Chick-fil-A-Hole Bigot Day a few months ago. There's nothing they can say at this point that wouldn't enrage millions of potential customers, and they finally have learned not to mix business and prejudice. ...At least, not in public.

But that's their bed, which they have made for themselves thanks to Dan Cathy's old-fashioned ideology. So let's not pretend that the people who still refuse to eat at his restaurants are the unreasonable ones here.

Archived