Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Huff Post: Chick-Fil-A Agrees To Cease Funding To Anti-Gay Organizations, Chicago LGBT Group Claims

Predicto

I must be one of the oddities in this debate in that I believe homosexuality to be against Christian teaching and yet in accordance with the equal protection amendment I find it difficult to deny their right to marry. I also affirm the right of those who wish to boycott CFA over their previous funding of certain activst groups. But, at this point I feel like CFA has betrayed the support of the Christians who supported them in the midst of the boycott and media scrutiny, only to then abandon those principles in order to open up new stores in a big economic market. My fear is that the Christians who supported them will move the goal posts in their support and affirm that CFA is still run by Christians and that they were just making a good business decision to abandon their principles.

ASF, that's a great post.

I must be one of the oddities in this debate in that I believe homosexuality to be against Christian teaching and yet in accordance with the equal protection amendment I find it difficult to deny their right to marry. I also affirm the right of those who wish to boycott CFA over their previous funding of certain activst groups. But, at this point I feel like CFA has betrayed the support of the Christians who supported them in the midst of the boycott and media scrutiny, only to then abandon those principles in order to open up new stores in a big economic market. My fear is that the Christians who supported them will move the goal posts in their support and affirm that CFA is still run by Christians and that they were just making a good business decision to abandon their principles.

Very well said. As a Christian myself, I can understand the argument for being against it since it goes against the Bible. However, there are many things in the Bible they we allow today. For me, what those 2 people do is between them and God, not being me, them, and God. There is no reason they shouldn't be allowed to be married IMO.

Yeah, the problem here isn't that there are people that believe homosexuality is a sin. Most members of the LGBT community don't care about a person's religious beliefs. It's when people take those beliefs and try to deny them their rights under the law. Something that the religious right tends to forget is that the United States isn't a theocracy, nor was it created to be a theocracy. Dan Cathy was donating money to lobbying groups that sought to continue denying gays said rights, thus the boycott.

I agree that the Constitutional right to marry should control our laws regardless of religious beliefs.

But I don't think Chick-Fil-A betrayed anyone here. There is no change in policy. The corporation has never supported discrimination, and they vowed to stay out of the gay marriage debate back in July. This was their July 19 Facebook status update:

The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect – regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender. We will continue this tradition in the over 1,600 Restaurants run by independent Owner/Operators. Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.

Chick-fil-A is a family-owned and family-led company serving the communities in which it operates. From the day Truett Cathy started the company, he began applying biblically-based principles to managing his business. For example, we believe that closing on Sundays, operating debt-free and devoting a percentage of our profits back to our communities are what make us a stronger company and Chick-fil-A family.

Our mission is simple: to serve great food, provide genuine hospitality and have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A.

https://www.facebook.com/ChickfilA

The "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" was August 1, more than a week after Chick-fil-A made that statement. If anyone feels betrayed, then they weren't paying attention when they went to buy their chicken sandwiches.

Dan Cathy is still going to keep funding anti-gay marriage groups. So anyone who wants to support that stance can still give their money to Chick-fil-A (or directly to those groups). I don't see any betrayal here.

I agree that the Constitutional right to marry should control our laws regardless of religious beliefs.

But I don't think Chick-Fil-A betrayed anyone here. There is no change in policy. The corporation has never supported discrimination, and they vowed to stay out of the gay marriage debate back in July. This was their July 19 Facebook status update:

The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect – regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender. We will continue this tradition in the over 1,600 Restaurants run by independent Owner/Operators. Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.

Chick-fil-A is a family-owned and family-led company serving the communities in which it operates. From the day Truett Cathy started the company, he began applying biblically-based principles to managing his business. For example, we believe that closing on Sundays, operating debt-free and devoting a percentage of our profits back to our communities are what make us a stronger company and Chick-fil-A family.

Our mission is simple: to serve great food, provide genuine hospitality and have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A.

https://www.facebook.com/ChickfilA

The "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" was August 1, more than a week after Chick-fil-A made that statement. If anyone feels betrayed, then they weren't paying attention when they went to buy their chicken sandwiches.

Dan Cathy is still going to keep funding anti-gay marriage groups. So anyone who wants to support that stance can still give their money to Chick-fil-A (or directly to those groups). I don't see any betrayal here.

Then it's a shell game, the company won't contribute but the owner will.....if that's right then I'm even more disappointed because now they've added deception to the list of things they're doing.

The owner is a representative of the company, regardless of whether he believes so or not.

Most people are not smart enough to completely separate the two.

Think of these two owners and how the media connects the problems to the teams, Jerry Jones currently, Marge Schott previously.

The company is ALWAYS a brand, as an employee of that brand (or especially owner) you should take into account how any type of support given represents your brand or company.

Then it's a shell game, the company won't contribute but the owner will.....if that's right then I'm even more disappointed because now they've added deception to the list of things they're doing.

Basically that was my first comment in this thread. Semantics have changed, which is usually more than good enough for most people.

I must be one of the oddities in this debate in that I believe homosexuality to be against Christian teaching and yet in accordance with the equal protection amendment I find it difficult to deny their right to marry.

I was starting to think I was the only person who felt like this.

Basically, I think CFA did what they had to do. I have no problem with it. It doesn't make them any less of a Christian. And if their lines aren't so long, maybe I will start to eat there again. :D

Is it really deception though? Could he still not personally show his support without tying it into the company?

I own a plumbing company and I donate to the Klan. My Plumbing company doesn't, it donates to the Veterans, but me personally, I donate a lot to the Klan.

When you use my plumbing company, you're supporting our veterans and it feels good. I'm buying hate with my own money and my own time.

No correlation, right?

Is it really deception though? Could he still not personally show his support without tying it into the company?

Can Jerry Jones not be "The Cowboys"?

If Cathy contributes the same amount of money to the same places he was directing company funds previously, then the net effect difference is nil. The only difference is which checkbook the check is pulled from.

Can Jerry Jones not be "The Cowboys"?

If Cathy contributes the same amount of money to the same places he was directing company funds previously, then the net effect difference is nil. The only difference is which checkbook the check is pulled from.

I see where you are coming from. I wouldn't say deception though, maybe craftiness. :ols:

---------- Post added September-20th-2012 at 11:15 AM ----------

I own a plumbing company and I donate to the Klan. My Plumbing company doesn't, it donates to the Veterans, but me personally, I donate a lot to the Klan.

When you use my plumbing company, you're supporting our veterans and it feels good. I'm buying hate with my own money and my own time.

No correlation, right?

See, craftiness :ols:

Good sandwich or not, I won't be giving them my money ever again.

I don't need them to be politically correct, I need them to be people correct.

I've just been waiting for them to get rid of those stupid waffle fries. I feel like I'm on crazy pills and I'm the only one it bothers. Seriously? Waffle fries? What am I on the Jersey boardwalk? Gimme a freaking break. That's gay.

That is funny KB. But I did rather enjoy those waffle fries. Check your meds.

Serious question though do they have CFA's where you are now ? I just can't picture it.

Are you ****ing serious? We have a Wendys, 3 McDonalds (one is a walk up that mostly just serves ice cream food), a Dominoes, a Pizza Hut (sort of) and a Little Caesers just opened in the Kmart (center island Kmart, not the nice one). The menus are nothing like in the states and we have very little options. The drive thru also takes at least 30 minutes. An hour on Sunday, so it's nice to go inside and enjoy the air conditioning.

Last week it was a racist PB&J, this week, we are back to hate chicken. And you people think I'm odd because I try not to eat chemicals, huh? BTW, I fell off my high horse two weeks ago and have eaten every animal possible on my way down. :)

Are you ****ing serious? We have a Wendys, 3 McDonalds (one is a walk up that mostly just serves ice cream food), a Dominoes, a Pizza Hut (sort of) and a Little Caesers just opened in the Kmart (center island Kmart, not the nice one). The menus are nothing like in the states and we have very little options. The drive thru also takes at least 30 minutes. An hour on Sunday, so it's nice to go inside and enjoy the air conditioning.

Last week it was a racist PB&J, this week, we are back to hate chicken. And you people think I'm odd because I try not to eat chemicals, huh? BTW, I fell off my high horse two weeks ago and have eaten every animal possible on my way down. :)

But, do they have a CFA?

Archived