Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Own3d Thread.(Keep it clean)

unsonny

I have a calculator that does that, and I love it. In engineering, I don't always need decimal values, so sometimes it's better just to have a simplified fraction. I can press a button to change it from a fraction to a mixed fraction or engineering notation, so whichever form of the solution is most useful is a button-press away.

As an engineer I agree.  But as a former middle school student, 26,590,040/5 doesn't have the same ring to it as 5318008

• Like 1

I have a calculator that does that, and I love it. In engineering, I don't always need decimal values, so sometimes it's better just to have a simplified fraction. I can press a button to change it from a fraction to a mixed fraction or engineering notation, so whichever form of the solution is most useful is a button-press away.

Yup, my TI-89's default setting was fraction mode. It's very helpful when you have to simplify certain equations. Those calculators are an engineer's best friend... Yes, I'm a nerd.

Yup, my TI-89's default setting was fraction mode. It's very helpful when you have to simplify certain equations. Those calculators are an engineer's best friend... Yes, I'm a nerd.

You guys are amateur.  I got through my engineering curriculum with the original TI-82.  That thing didn't even do imaginary numbers.

• Like 1

You guys are amateur. I got through my engineering curriculum with the original TI-82. That thing didn't even do imaginary numbers.

I went through quite a bit of Engineering and Physics without any calculator. I remember one time I showed up to a physics exam (I'd been skipping class all semester and decided to attend again one day, and it happened to be mid-term day) without a calculator and my pages were just a mess of hand-calculations (equations strewn everywhere since I'm a flow-of-thought type rather than structured and neat), but I still managed an A- on it.
  • Like 2

I went through quite a bit of Engineering and Physics without any calculator. I remember one time I showed up to a physics exam (I'd been skipping class all semester and decided to attend again one day, and it happened to be mid-term day) without a calculator and my pages were just a mess of hand-calculations (equations strewn everywhere since I'm a flow-of-thought type rather than structured and neat), but I still managed an A- on it.

LOL, well done.

I remember preparing for some exam and taking some ridiculous amalgamation of equations and solving it out so I had the real and imaginary parts of the equation completely separated and I could now compute them on my calculator.

Edited by balki1867

thumbs-up.gif

So these two stories just came up on my facebook feed back to back...

Yummy.

Oh gross.

They are tearing down a bunch of cubicles at work today and there is a rumor going around that the workers found droppings that were "larger than mouse droppings"

i want that meat...in my mouth.  now.

*thatswhatshesaid*

Edited by balki1867