Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Biden Drop Out as the Dem Candidate? If so, Who Should Replace Him?

Jumbo

Should He Stay or Should He Go?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should Joe Step Down as Dem Nominee?

7 hours ago, Jumbo said:

This is a great topic for contemplation. The old bromides of keeping sex, religion, and politics out of ordinary social conversations or gatherings featured awareness of how people were likely to get along much better if you  didn't know what you really didn't need to know about such things. 

I have been getting a good dose of that reality these last 18 months in Montana (should be back on the WA coast early fall). I can enjoy some positive social interactions in various setting with a majority of people here who are being nice, funny, helpful, and interesting in many ways and there will be zero of those topics coming up.

Then at another time I will hear the trumpster or more fundy xtian come out in them and they say the kind of incorrect, and to me, crazy, sick and ugly crap, that makes things more like flies landing in your potato salad at the picnic.

Just sullies stuff. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder",  and yet "familiarity breeds contempt." Being human is an adventure! 

😁😆👹🤡👽🤖

On flip side, I've seen discussions on the case for not talking about these plays into how we seem to be losing the ability to have these discussions when necessary (or at all).

On one hand, I agree, you don't bring up those three you limit the risk of touching a nerve or striking a match on a haystack.

Same time, in a country designed be made of people from all over the world with different viewpoints on those three...it's nearly impossible to avoid them when it comes to inevitable legislative decisions that involve them.

• Like 1

I didn't watch the debate, hearing you all talk about it here made me think. After a few days, thought that if Biden stepped away it had to come pretty quickly. 

Then we had the farce that was the Republican convention, which I also didn't watch. So I didn't watch any political programs because I was pretty depressed. Then came Sunday. Wow, what a kick! Suddenly there was a lot of energy everywhere.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Skins24 said:

The mere suggestion of other potential candidates, or that Joe may not be the one, was quickly and fiercely dismissed.

Well, speaking only for myself, I was absolutely saying that

1)  It was too late to dump Joe.  

2)  And that everybody wanting to dump him was just absolutely stating as fact that there were numerous candidates who were guaranteed to be better candidates.  

3)  But that not one of the people in Group 2 could name one.  

• Like 1

Speaking of timing. Biden dropped out perfectly to avoid lots of talk on the Sunday AM shows which have been pushing the "blitz convention narrative".  

NYT and others wanted headlines that were like "Dems in Disarray!".

Yet, Kamala has pretty much consolidated full support.  All within a week. 

According to news sources, Biden called 20 

lawmakers/colleagues in the 10 days post debate.  Kamala called 100 lawmakers/colleagues in the 10 hours after Biden stepped down.

If she loses, she likely will find it hard to get another shot.  

And some of the polling I have heard about.  Older Democrats have the racist/mysoginost issue too.

I was always for "the person, not the party", but from '16 until at least now, I'm a "party" girl. 

I believed in Joe, but if he couldn't get through it, I was confident that he'd know what to do.  He did.  And I'm fine with that. 

And I disagree with @Larry on his point #3...lots of folks here had other options, I chirped in with Gavin. 

LET'S GO, KAMALA!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

Ok serious question, as imagine most of you know but I’ve not spent any time on or seen enough to understand what is right or wrong

she has the commitment from enough delegates to win the nomination right?

so the rest of this is just a formality, right?

anyone who pops up to challenge her doesn’t really have a legitimate shot, and is just attention seeking? Which means we shouldn’t see any legitimate person try to enter the race for the nomination?

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

Ok serious question, as imagine most of you know but I’ve not spent any time on or seen enough to understand what is right or wrong

anyone who pops up to challenge her doesn’t really have a legitimate shot, and is just attention seeking? Which means we shouldn’t see any legitimate person try to enter the race for the nomination?

Yeah,  no one in their right mind should challenge now. 

And I'd suspect their will be a virtual vote next week. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tshile said:

I think the issue is that the delegates aren't officially bound to her.  They've publicly committed to her, but it isn't the same as being bound to her as if she won the primary.

And so those people could change their mind.  If something happens and some dirt comes out or the polls turn against her, you could see somebody else come out.  At least that's my understanding.

Though, again my understanding is much of the money is tied to Biden/Harris and so she's on the official paper work making it easy to transfer it to her and her campaign.  If it isn't her, the money already given to Biden/Harris campaign can't be easily transferred to somebody else.  Somebody would have to come up with a lot of money quickly to run a campaign.  And she's got a big war chest built up.  If it is somebody else, they'd need a lot of money quickly.  It would almost have to be somebody who is extremely wealthy and willing to put a lot of their money into the campaign.  At least that's my understanding.  I don't think many of the people that were talked about are in a position to do that.  Maybe Bloomberg.  Or somebody that is already famous and has name recognition from that.

(IMO, she should really start running just "pro" Harris ads.  That would prevent the right from defining her and would presumably keep her polls higher, making it less likely somebody else might see a gap to jump in.  I'm not seeing any Harris ads, but if I were them, I'd pump out a few ASAP and not even mention Trump in them.)

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I'm not seeing any Harris ads, but if I were them, I'd pump out a few ASAP and not even mention Trump in them.

This.  So very very this.  I am so tired of the Democrats defining themselves by what they're not and waiting for the narrative to come to them.

• Like 2

Here’s another article from a legitimate outlet stating that Vance didnt **** a couch, but he seems like the kind of guy that would **** a couch. I’m going to quote the last paragraph instead of the first. 

https://www.vox.com/culture/363230/jd-vance-couch-sex-hillbilly-elegy-rumor-false

J.D. Vance didn’t have sex with a couch. But he’s still extremely weird.

I don’t really need to explain why everyone believing a joke about a vice presidential candidate having sex with a couch is funny, it just is. Much like the memes implying Kamala Harris is a pop icon queening out to “Brat” summer, “JD Vance ****ed a couch” is just another absurdity of the wildest election summer in recent history, one where the truth is so much crazier than fiction that the fiction starts becoming believable. No, J.D. Vance didn’t **** a couch. But he’ll always be remembered as the vice presidential nominee that was once rumored to have ****ed a couch. And that’s pretty weird.

• Haha 5

@PeterMP thanks - I disagree it has to be  wealthy person, I think things could happen quickly if it’s the right person, they need to convince the delegates not the voters at this point, so I don’t see that as the hurdle you do. 

but otherwise makes sense and thanks :cheers:

35 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I don't think many of the people that were talked about are in a position to do that.  Maybe Bloomberg.  Or somebody that is already famous and has name recognition from that.

JB Pritzker, governor of Illinois and on the wrong end of the VP short list, is worth $3.5 billion. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

This.  So very very this.  I am so tired of the Democrats defining themselves by what they're not and waiting for the narrative to come to them.

yup. Let Harris be the positive messenger of the platform and their vision of the future. 

let him look like a raving lunatic. He thrives off putting whoever he is up against on the defensive - so don’t let him do that. He’ll become more and more outlandish as what he does fails to illicit a response from her

where appropriate let other people take to the cameras and twitter to attack Trump or what him and the GOP says about Harris. Pete is perfect for this, and another example is the mother of her step children coming out with the whole coparenting thing. 

whatever they do she needs to be seen as behaving and speaking positively. 

let the underlings (in the party) do the dirty work 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Her first stump speech was [paraphrasing since I don't remember] "Let's move forward, not backwards."  

I think that is pretty simple. 

Have you heard Trump's? 

America is suddenly a ****hole and if you don't vote for me, it'll be swallowed up by all the ****.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

That’s fake. He did it. Like, a bunch of times. JD Vance must be stopped.

Someone call up Charlie Murphy.  He knows how to put couch-****ers in their place.

• Sad 1

Sy Hersh has a crazy Substack story (paywalled) that:

1)  Biden had a medical emergency in Las Vegas (maybe a fall)? 

2)  Pelosi, Schumer, Jeffries, and Obama threatened him with the 25th Amendment. 

I think COVID probably is a medical emergency.  So it is likely could be COVID. 

2)  I think 25th amendment would be dumb.  But it could have been talked about.  If it was invoked, the problem is the GOP would block a new  vice President.

Yeah I don’t believe for a second that’s how that went down. I believe the framework, it’s what I said was happening before it happened, but I do not believe Obama made that threat.