Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post Draft- Your expectations for 2024

I think we'll be a good second half team and in the playoff hunt. We have a ton of new players and coaches who will need time to gel, but I think our defense and run game will have us competitive day one.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think we'll be a good second half team and in the playoff hunt. We have a ton of new players and coaches who will need time to gel, but I think our defense and run game will have us competitive day one.

I'm waiting for somebody to tell me the schedule is really hard and we have no chance with a hard schedule. 

I'm just waiting for it.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

We have seen drastic turn arounds multiple times recently simply by getting rid of bad coaches. I think with dq and staff om defense we will have a top 10 defense. Jayden daneils is pro ready. We go 9 8

They're exceptions though. While I think it's possible, I also think it's unlikely, and again, I think that's a good thing. The best case scenario to me, for the purpose of building a long term, sustainable winner, is a 5 or 6 win season where the kids learn, play well in their opportunities and show a lot of growth, but don't screw up our draft capital for the '25 class in the process by winning half or more of their games. I think there are enough problems on D, and O to insure that that is exactly what happens. I do agree a crazy wild turn around is always potentially possible when you change out coaching, fo performance and QB so dramatically, but I also think the core roster in terms of starters and depth is simply far too weak for that to happen, and yes I would've said that about the Texans too, and about the Redskins in '12 (which they kind of proved in '13, if not '12). We'll see, but I'm betting a 5-12 to 6-11 season which I think is in our best interests anyway, so long as our young guys stay healthy and show growth and improvement. 

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

The three wins is optimistic. Imo Mariota was a bad pick whether we kept Howell or not. The QB room is shaky other than (hopefully) our shiny toy.

If Mariota plays I'll be asking for a refund from the JD Fanboy Association cuz it means Mr. Already A Pro isn't, or his beanpole frame took one of his signature big time hits and broke.🫣

(Just kidding, tone-wise re: JD 😁, but seeing Mariota play would mean bad things and I don't like our back up roster)

I'll always wonder what the heck happened in 2016. In year 2, he really performed well: 3400 yards, 26 TD's, 9 picks, 61+% comp rate, never came close to that standard again, and you look at the roster: nothing special. I don't know what the hell happened, I wasn't a Mariota booster, maybe a mild skeptic, but after '16 I thought he was hitting, and after that he was just god awful. Pretty weird. Solid rookie year in '16, very good 2nd year, and total --- afterwards. Wonder if he got hurt, or just lost a great QB coach or something. The difference between '15 and '16 combined, vs '17-'18 just awful (as well as '22). 

• Like 1

I expect that I will probably spend money on team gear this season. 

Last thing I purchased was Sean’s #36 jersey in 2004, so it’s been 20 years. 

Not sure what to buy yet, but this hat looks kinda fresh. 

6B702954-352D-405A-9FE9-4A187F23D343.webp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jumbo said:

The three wins is optimistic. Imo Mariota was a bad pick whether we kept Howell or not. The QB room is shaky other than (hopefully) our shiny toy.

If Mariota plays I'll be asking for a refund from the JD Fanboy Association cuz it means Mr. Already A Pro isn't, or his beanpole frame took one of his signature big time hits and broke.🫣

(Just kidding, tone-wise re: JD 😁, but seeing Mariota play would mean bad things and I don't like our back up roster)

I am terrified that Mariota plays. I think he’s a far worse option than Howell. Howell was young and learning and made mistakes. But he was eager and would never leave his team.

Maybe I don’t know all the details of the Mariota thing when he walked out… but I don’t like it. I’d have rather they signed just about any normal quality backup versus Mariota. 

Watching him play would be an awful experience.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Jumbo said:

I was disappointed they didn't keep Howell or Brissett, both seemed like better backups than Mariota...I am just not a fan of his. However by having him, it removes competition. No one is going to cry for Mariota to receive play time

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I was disappointed they didn't keep Howell or Brissett, both seemed like better backups than Mariota...I am just not a fan of his. However by having him, it removes competition. No one is going to cry for Mariota to receive play time

They certainly removed any chance of the backup being popular. 

• Like 1

I expect a 10-7 record which either outright wins the NFC east, or gets us the wild-card game.

We have the inside scoop on every NFC team (at least for this year) with our new coaching hires. DQ and Witt know Dak Prescott's weaknesses inside and out. Brian Johnson knows Jalen Hurts' offense and players, and Bobby Johnson knows the Giants weaknesses. Sure, schemes will change every year, but we'll never have a bigger advantage than we do NOW.

Nobody knows us. Hell, we don't even know us, lol. That in it's self is a big advantage. I expect a similar year to 2012 where we start out slow before the bye, but finish strong thru the end of the season. 

We now have coaches who are competent. We can produce players, rather than letting them rot. Weather we sign another OT or WR before the season (which I feel we will do one or both), or go with the players on the current roster, we still have upside in many on this roster. Hell, there's 5-6 O-linemen on the roster that have not been released that could be answers for back-up/rotation, or even a starter at T or G. 

We have Larry 'The Weasel' Izzo as our ST coach. One of the best in the business. With the new rule changes on kickoffs, I expect Izzo's impact to be 3+ to 6+ points per game average, which will give us the edge in the close games we usually lose as a rule. When was the last time we blocked a punt, FG or extra point? I can't even remember. I'm sure it was pre-Danny Smith.

I expect the offense to be average or better before the bye, and to finish just outside the top 10. Having competent OC who mixes up the run and pass, along with a dual-threat QB will open up so many more key match-ups because teams will have to use a fast player to spy our QB and play contain on him. At the very least, play-action will be believable.

I expect to start and finish the season with a top 10 D. 

And finally, I expect to win at least one post season game for the first time in forever.

It will be fun to come back to this post after the season and see how close it was, or how much of a homer I was, lol. But for once in 3 decades, I have hope.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mudhog said:

I expect a 10-7 record which either outright wins the NFC east, or gets us the wild-card game.

I think that’s a bit aggressive. 

We also have a new HC, new coordinators and schemes on both sides of the ball, a rookie QB, and other holes on the roster.

Let’s face it:  what Peter’s did in FA was essentially sign a whole bunch of B/C level guys to one year deals because Ron left the cupboard entirely bare.  And there was no way to solve all the problems in one draft.

If the season started today, you would have Lucas and Wylie as the starting tackles. 

I think this team is going to play hard and be exceptionally well prepared.  But there is also going to be a learning curve.  For everybody, because every system is new.

i hate to play the record game because there are so many variables, but I think they’re probably between 7-9 wins.  And I would take closer to the 7 than the 9. 

Could they get to 10? Sure.  But that would also have to probably coincide with the e complete collapse of either Dallas or Philly, and the other taking a bit of a step back also.  If you’re going to get to 10, you have to at least go 3-3, maybe even 4-2 in division.  

We were 0-6 last year in division.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If the season started today, you would have Lucas and Wylie as the starting tackles. 

I think this team is going to play hard and be exceptionally well prepared.  But there is also going to be a learning curve.  For everybody, because every system is new.

i hate to play the record game because there are so many variables, but I think they’re probably between 7-9 wins.  And I would take closer to the 7 than the 9. 

Could they get to 10? Sure.  But that would also have to probably coincide with the e complete collapse of either Dallas or Philly, and the other taking a bit of a step back also.  If you’re going to get to 10, you have to at least go 3-3, maybe even 4-2 in division.  

LT could be Coleman and RT could be Lucas.  I just sense that Lucas is going to get a chance to earn a starting gig and Wylie doesn't have EB this year.

I view the learning curve the same as it's seen in new schemes every year...The first month is a trial by fire before they pin down putting the right guys in the right packages and the scheme gets automated around week 5-6. I was guessing they'll be doing well to win 4 games by week 10. Splitting in your division is always the minimum requirement and the F'ing Giants are not going to suck when they play WSH (for some damn reason).

giphy.gif

Best case would be 3-3 in the division and splitting with everyone. Don’t see us sweeping anyone or getting swept.

Also depends when our divisional games are. If they are grouped early on the schedule, that wouldn’t be good. You want them spread out.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 7:25 AM, DWinzit said:

Marriotta is universally disliked (as a player). I don't recall a player where I have laterally not seen one single fan or poster support;.  .  

My concern is corner as much as OT.  Life in today's NFL sucks with crappy corners and that's what we have today.  

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Marriotta is universally disliked (as a player). I don't recall a player where I have laterally not seen one single fan or poster support;.  .  

My concern is corner as much as OT.  Life in today's NFL sucks with crappy corners and that's what we have today.  

Transitioning from a crap roster to the new tooled vision is going to take a couple years. They have done a nice job so far of infusing better talent throughout. CB is definitely another position that will need more work.

We do have a lot of "potential" there, it will be a wait and see how they are managed this season. While we have seen the first wave of talent through FA and a second through the draft, I do expect a third one through FA later as cuts begin. They will get a better feel for their roster and where they see the biggest holes. Could be CB, Edge, WR, T or who knows where else. Just hoping we have no major injuries this season.

Yes, Mariota doesn't really have the same feel as the other players they brought in and our other QB's semi to have fit better but I guess this is the atmosphere they desired for JD

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Was somewhat pessimistic before last season, predicted 8-9 but clearly it went even worse than that.  I thought the last off season was a borderline disaster.

Feel almost the opposite extreme this off season.  I think they pulled 6 starters in that draft with the other three likely rotational guys and at least one rotational guy from the UDFAs.

Also it was a poorly coached team last year, i expect the opposite.

Feels 9-8, 10-7.  All depending on Daniels of course.  

Only weaknesses on this team now IMO are the left side of the O line and Outside corner are question marks.  But as pessimistic as I was last time about the O line I feel better about it this time albiet they need another off season to fix it.    

I think the only thing I am more pessimistic on than the typical optimist about this team is a Forbes rebound.  I've heard enogh hints from Keim that the brass both the past and I gather the current one (even though he hasn't flat out said it) don't think his issues are mostly about scheme but are more centered on him as a player.  So I get the vibe that this regime might not see Forbes as an easy fix.  Plus is that dude built to play press man in this scheme?  This isn't Del Rio's zone scheme.  Wouldn't shock me if something wild happens like the UDFA from Colorado State beats him for the job. 

Not saying am out on Forbes but he feels like a wildcard.  Conversely, Quan Martin who really came on towards the end of the season last year I think will thrive.  Overall though that 2023 draft looks like it might age just like it feels today as a disaster. 

But overall I am uber impressed with then job Peters already did.  I said on another thread, with the power of hindsight in the sea of bad personnel people we've had, Ron IMO was the worst of the bunch.  Yes worse that Cerrato and Bruce and Shanny.   Peters has to had to do a lot of work to fix this.   Also Peters seems so self aware -- something that all the previous GMs weren't.  We were used to delusional and incompetent GMs.  And that feels like its finally changed and big time.

An underrrated thing Peters accomplished is really adding some depth on defense.  Rivera didn't seem to care if name that extremeskins member was a backup on his teams.  He was OK with just having guys as backups.    And what was frustrating about it is he could have had so many dudes on the cheap on that front with decent reps but he didn't seem to give a rats behind about spending a million or two on a guy like Risner or a slew of guys like that who were available during his reign.  Then when he would have his customarily late season collapses he would blame injuries.

In short, I think the GM is light years better and the coaching likely will be light years better too.  I am expecting they will be considered a real contender team as soon as 2025.  But I do think they will surprise this year.  Some breaks and they can make the playoffs.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I say 9 - 8 and will be a team nobody wants to play down the stretch the final weeks. Possibly a sneaky Wild Card team as well. 

There is no denying a vibe around this team we haven't seen in over a decade and the players are feeding off it. 

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Life in today's NFL sucks with crappy corners and that's what we have today.  

Maybe. But I don't think that's a given.

I think coaching (or lack thereof) was a significant reason for the crappiness of last year...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think that’s a bit aggressive. 

We also have a new HC, new coordinators and schemes on both sides of the ball, a rookie QB, and other holes on the roster.

Let’s face it:  what Peter’s did in FA was essentially sign a whole bunch of B/C level guys to one year deals because Ron left the cupboard entirely bare.  And there was no way to solve all the problems in one draft.

We were 0-6 last year in division.

I agree with you that it's aggressive and it would be safer not to go out on the limb and just stick with a middling win count of 7 or 8 games. But if that was the goal of DQ and AP, we NEVER would have signed Bobby Wagner. He could have stayed in Seattle and made more money and have a better core team around him with fewer holes. Sure, his QB would be Sam Howell, but his coach wouldn't be Apathy-Ron.

You are also correct about the caliber of talent and amount of holes we had to fill. We are definitely going to have to over-achieve to get to 10 wins and 1 post-season win, but I think it's achievable with the culture change. Just compare this team to 2012 and the amount of talent and change that squad had. 2012 had a better supporting cast at LT and WR and RB. But this roster is close. And it's close to the amount of change that we had in coaching staff, as well as hype for the new QB. 

This year is going to be electric. These players and coaches are already feeding off that electricity and it will continue to grow once the fan base is plugged in. It's gonna be like watching RG3 for the first time in game 1 against Drew Brees in NOLA, and with that energy, overachieving will be the by-product.

• Like 1