6’ 4 1/2’’
WEIGHT
313 lbs
ARM
34 5/8’’
HAND
10 3/4’’

Overview

Three-year starter and team captain in 2023 with outstanding length and the potential to offer roster flexibility. Coleman will be scouted and drafted as a guard but might be able to handle a move to tackle in an emergency. He's broad and fits up blocks with pretty good accuracy when his hands are right, but he's never going to be a lane clearer in the run game. Coleman's experience at tackle helps his chances of protecting NFL quarterbacks as a guard. He pass protects with efficient hands and sound technique, but his reactive athleticism is very average, which could be trouble against sub-package rushers.

Strengths

• Broad frame with A+ wingspan and tackle/guard experience.
  • Patient with double-team timing and runs feet through contact with a wide base.
  • Holds secure block for as long as possible before climbing up to linebacker.
  • Throws a direct pass punch and reworks hands to stay on top of rusher.
  • Does a nice job of trusting feet to slide and clobber gap-shooters.

Weaknesses

• Will be on the wrong side of pad level on more snaps than not.
  • Struggles to create displacement with his leg drive at the point.
  • Inconsistent hand placement causes inconsistent results as run blocker.
  • Allows weight to rock outside his base in pass pro.
  • Has trouble with sudden change of direction against rush counters
Edited by zCommander
  • Thanks 1

• zCommander changed the title to Welcome to the Commanders Brandon Coleman OT ~ TCU

Doesn't seem like a right away starter.  Lots of technique issues and older.  Have to worry larger issues underlie technique issues.  Older players with bad technique always worry me.  Though I guess that's better than an older player with good technique and still not very good.  He does seem to have a bit of nasty streak as a run blocker.  Maybe in the future a starter.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Doesn't seem like a right away starter.  Lots of technique issues and older.  Have to worry larger issues underlie technique issues.  Older players with bad technique always worry me.  Though I guess that's better than an older player with good technique and still not very good.  He does seem to have a bit of nasty streak as a run blocker.  Maybe in the future a starter.

He didnt play football until his senior year of HS

9 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I like our picks and we're a couple years away, I just hope we can get there with Lucas and Wylie without getting JD killed.

Yeah, with all our picks only grabbed one possible project to protect our prize shinny new QB seems odd.

Hope he can grow into a good T or at least G

I’ll defer to our more knowledgeable posters, but given his length, experience and issues with pad level, I find it a bit surprising he’s assumed to move to guard (broadly speaking anyway - obviously Peters said they see him at tackle… at least initially).

The team labeled Brandon as a G when drafting him but in an interview Peters called him a T competing to start. No real mention of G, just that he has an incredible amount of college snaps.

• Like 1

People keep saying he’s not a day 1 starter, and I agree for the most part. He needs technique work and linemen are the ones who most often need to marinade a bit (and true Y tight ends). However…

We have Lucas and Wylie at tackle. 

He could be a day one starter here. Which isn’t ideal.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DWinzit said:

The team labeled Brandon as a G when drafting him but in an interview Peters called him a T competing to start. No real mention of G, just that he has an incredible amount of college snaps.

His arms are long enough and athletic testing looks good to try him at tackle. I would start him at backup LT and let him develop from that side- if it looks like he won’t cut it then shift him inside to LG to upgrade from Allegretti

Dane Brugler from the Athletic:

STRENGTHS: Looks and plays like a brawler ... refrigerator-wide shoulders with natural thickness and outstanding length ... efficient out of his stance and moves light on his feet (has a field day on GT counters and climb blocks) ... handles space well in pass protection with mirroring quickness to cut off edge speed ... stays on schedule with his strike timing ... flashes a surge in the run game when he keeps his block centered and fire lit ... seals with massive latch hands and understands body positioning...commendabletoughnessandfoundawaytoplaythroughmultiplenagginginjuriesin2023...TCUcoachesmixedandmatched on the offensive line, because theyfeltcomfortablewith Coleman at bothtackle andguard (logged snapsat every offensive line position at TCU except center) ... posted exceptional numbers at the combine.
WEAKNESSES: Often caught excessively leaning with his upper half overextended ... can be pressed into the pocket due to tall pads, leaving him susceptible to speed to power ... his recovery maneuvers are delayed and underdeveloped ... technique must improve to keep him from falling off blocks ... anchor showed cracks in the foundation on the 2023 tape (wasn’t as much of an issue in 2022) ... drew three false start flags in his first two games at left guard in 2023 ... he is admittedly a reserved person by nature and is working to maintain an alpha attitude to impose his will ... will be 24 years old as a rookie ... missed most of his first season at TCU after tearing ligaments in his left wrist (October 2020), requiring surgery; battled through knee and ankle issues throughout the 2023 season.
SUMMARY:Athree-yearstarteratTCU,ColemanbouncedbetweenlefttackleandleftguardasaseniorinoffensivecoordinatorKendalBriles’ zone-based scheme. After moving to the offensive line as a senior in high school, he cut his teeth at the juco level and put himself on the NFL radar as the Horned Frogs’ left tackle in 2022 (hisbesttapewasthe2022NationalChampionshipGameagainstGeorgia).Althoughhis2023seasondidn’tgoasplanned,hewasplayinghurt,andhis2022tapeisa better snapshot of his talent. In pass protection, Coleman has engulfing size and moves with balance in his feet, although that balance will dissipate at contact, because of his tall pad level and inconsistent recoveries. Although not a road-grader, he is well-versed as a run blocker and uses his extension to grip, torque and control. Overall, Coleman needs to improve his technical consistency, but his ease of movement, spatial awareness and length are the building blocks that offensive line coaches covet. He has the traits to stay outside at tackle while also offering position flexibility at guard.
GRADE: 2nd-3rd Round (No. 66 overall)

• Like 1

This kid needs good coaching and a lot of hard work.

I guess we're gonna find out if Quinn made a good decision in hiring the Giants disgraced former o-line coach, or if he was fired and out of the league, with no other interviews, for good reasons.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

He gets to keep that neck roll in the NFL right?

Hes got a great wingspan too....

Combine that broadside neck roll with his long appendages and he can totally go by the nickname "Triceratops" 

**Bad joke successfully accomplished**

Edited by FootballZombie

Brandon Scherff was originally picked as a tackle too iirc. I won't be reading too deep into what position he's playing at until training camp.

But the decision to roll with Wylie and the backup OT has me floored.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Only way around that was not picking a QB

Maybe. I guess I thought we had 5 other picks in the top 100, and one of them could be used for a player who could contribute to protecting the QB that's supposed to carry the team for the next decade. Or at least a free agent or two before the draft if a rookie OT was too much to ask. But on the plus side, if Daniels does get pummeled, at least the team can feel proud that they got a really good defensive tackle.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

Redskins plan at left tackle reminds me of this:

IMG_2600.webp

Draft star quarterback whose only obvious weakness is slight frame + Dont sign left tackle in free agency +  Draft guard/hopefully left tackle at beginning of 3rd round = success.

The underwear gnomes would be proud guys.

IMG_2601.webp

Edited by kfrankie
  • Haha 1