Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Brandon Coleman OT ~ TCU

zCommander

17 hours ago, KDawg said:

People keep saying he’s not a day 1 starter, and I agree for the most part. He needs technique work and linemen are the ones who most often need to marinade a bit (and true Y tight ends). However…

We have Lucas and Wylie at tackle. 

He could be a day one starter here. Which isn’t ideal.

I'd be shocked they don't get a veteran tackle between here and start od the season, even it's jus waiting around for June 6th cuts.

We may have to scheme to this being a known weakness, JD being mobile as he is should help with that.

Is what it is.

Excerpt from Dan Brugler's The Beast Draft Guide:

9. BRANDON COLEMAN | TCU 6044 | 313 lbs. | 6SR Denton, Texas (Denton) 10/12/2000 (age 23.54) #77
BACKGROUND: Brandon Coleman was born in Virginia, but his family moved to Berlin when he was three months old. His father (Ronald) was a member of the
military and stationed overseas, where he met Brandon’s mother, a German native (she currently resides in Germany). With his father having a football and track
background, Coleman was active in sports throughout childhood — but American football wasn’t very popular in Germany, so he focused on basketball instead. As a
teenager, he played shooting guard for a Berlin select team that traveled throughout Europe for tournaments (won a gold medal for the Europe Championship). Prior
to his junior year of high school, Coleman returned to the United States to “start his path to the NBA” and moved in with his sister in Denton. He enrolled at Denton
High School in North Texas. Always curious about football, he joined the team without any prior experience, initially trying quarterback before the coaches switched
him to the defensive line. Coleman had to play on the JV squad as a junior due to transfer rules. As a senior, he moved to the offensive line and was bumped up to
varsity. Coleman earned the starting left tackle job for the 2017 season as Denton finished with a 3 -7 record. He also played center on the basketball team, initially on
the JV squad as a junior (because of transfer rules), then on varsity as a senior.
A no-star recruit, Coleman had only two years of football experience and didn’t start lifting weights until his junior year, so he was behind in the recruiting world. He
attended Trinity Valley Community College in Athens (East Texas) and redshirted in 2018 before starting at offensive tackle i n 2019. A three-star juco recruit, Coleman
was the No. 49 juco recruit in the 2020 class and started to hear from FBS programs in the spring of 2019. Because of the proximi ty to family, he committed to TCU
(recruited by former offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie) over Florida State, Houston, Iowa State and Missouri. His father, an All-American track athlete at Denbigh
High School, set the Virginia state record in the 600 meters (1 minute, 11.29 seconds) and was inducted into the Newport News Track Hall of Fame in 1993. Coleman
graduated with his degree in sociology and wants to work with international athletes who want to play in the United States after his playing career. He accepted his
invitation to the 2024 Senior Bowl.
BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS 119
YEAR (GP/GS) POSITION NOTES
2018: Trinity Valley (Texas) Community College
2019: Trinity Valley (Texas) Community College
2020: (4/0) TCU; Missed final six games (wrist); Enrolled in January 2020
2021: (11/8) LG TCU; Missed one game (injury)
2022: (15/15) LT TCU; Honorable Mention All-Big 12
2023: (11/11) 7 LT, 4 LG TCU; Second Team All-Big 12; Missed one game (injury)
Total: (41/34) 22 LT, 12 LG
HT WT HAND ARM WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 6044 313 10 3/4 34 5/8 84 4.99 2.89 1.73 34 9’6” - - - (no shuttle, 3-cone, bench — rt. hamstring)
PRO DAY 6046 316 10 3/4 34 7/8 83 3/4 - - - - - 4.62 7.40 24 (stood on combine run and jumps)
STRENGTHS: Looks and plays like a brawler … refrigerator-wide shoulders with natural thickness and outstanding length … efficient out of his stance and moves light
on his feet (has a field day on GT counters and climb blocks) … handles space well in pass protection with mirroring quickness to cut off edge speed … stays on
schedule with his strike timing … flashes a surge in the run game when he keeps his block centered and fire lit … seals with massive latch hands and understands body
positioning … commendable toughness and found a way to play through multiple nagging injuries in 2023 … TCU coaches mixed and matched on the offensive line,
because they felt comfortable with Coleman at both tackle and guard (logged snaps at every offensive line position at TCU exc ept center) … posted exceptional
numbers at the combine.
WEAKNESSES: Often caught excessively leaning with his upper half overextended … can be pressed into the pocket due to tall pads, leaving him susceptible to speed
to power … his recovery maneuvers are delayed and underdeveloped … technique must improve to keep him from falling off blocks … anchor showed cracks in the
foundation on the 2023 tape (wasn’t as much of an issue in 2022) … drew three false start flags in his first two games at left guard in 2023 … he is admittedly a
reserved person by nature and is working to maintain an alpha attitude to impose his will … will be 24 years old as a rookie … missed most of his first season at TCU
after tearing ligaments in his left wrist (October 2020), requiring surgery; battled through knee and ankle issues throughout the 2023 season.
SUMMARY: A three-year starter at TCU, Coleman bounced between left tackle and left guard as a senior in offensive coordinator Kendal Briles’ zone-based scheme.
After moving to the offensive line as a senior in high school, he cut his teeth at the juco level and put himself on the NFL radar as the Horned Frogs’ left tackle in 2022
(his best tape was the 2022 National Championship Game against Georgia). Although his 2023 season didn’t go as planned, he was playing hurt, and his 2022 tape is a
better snapshot of his talent. In pass protection, Coleman has engulfing size and moves with balance in his feet, although that balance will dissipate at contact,
because of his tall pad level and inconsistent recoveries. Although not a road-grader, he is well-versed as a run blocker and uses his extension to grip, torque and
control. Overall, Coleman needs to improve his technical consistency, but his ease of movement, spatial awareness and length are the building blocks that
offensive line coaches covet. He has the traits to stay outside at tackle while also offering position flexibility at guard.
GRADE: 2nd-3rd Round (No. 66 overall)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Maybe. I guess I thought we had 5 other picks in the top 100, and one of them could be used for a player who could contribute to protecting the QB that's supposed to carry the team for the next decade. Or at least a free agent or two before the draft if a rookie OT was too much to ask. But on the plus side, if Daniels does get pummeled, at least the team can feel proud that they got a really good defensive tackle.

Expecting a Day 2 rookie to start and play well is a big ask. There are lots of Day 1 rookies with up and down rookie seasons. Trent Williams was pretty inconsistent his first year.

And who would we have signed in FA? Most of them just re-signed with their own team. Jonah Williams got the most money from someone who actually swapped teams and he's mediocre.

We did a lot in Free Agency, but this team had massive holes everywhere. We sucked. There's a limit to how much you can fix in one off-season.

The roster was in a sorry state after we missed so many draft picks.

• Thumb up 1

In my opinion, there were no more than 2 year one starter OT in the draft.  A couple more might be awesome in a few years but unless we were going to trade back in the first, no one was worth trading for.  Once we moved Howell, I didn't see a trade back happening.

1 minute ago, Bifflog said:

Was curious about his RAS as an OT, after seeing the gaudy one for Guard.  Still impressive!

I know most people aren't happy with the draft from an OL/T situation...but even if Coleman ends up having to move to guard, at least he's a guy with the measurable and athleticism indicative of a tackle. I have more hope for that than someone who is almost certainly a guard in these aspects that we hope can outplay their traits and become a tackle.

• Like 1

Coleman probably translate better immediately at Guard than Tackle because at least according to PFF he was best in man/gap run blocking, second best in zone run blocking, and weakest in true pass sets.  Moving him to Guard takes more advantage of his run blocking and allows you to hide his pass blocking.  That said he has the physical tools to play Tackle.  He has the arm length and quick enough feet to be a decent pass blocker.  Right now he lacks the technique and there is no guarantee he will be able to pick up the technique (for example he plays to high allowing him to be suspectible to power moves and there is no guaranteed he'll have the bend to fix that), but assuming he can improve technique wise, he does have the physical tools to play Tackle, even if he is immediately better off at Guard where his pass blocking can be hidden more.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Still bums me out that the Chiefs took Saumatia just a few picks before, but Coleman has some potential. I think you gotta try him at T first and if it doesn't work, then you kick him inside. 

I wasn't as enamored about Suamataia as most here, but for reference here's the RAS compare.

image.png.4b363440bcfbfe8147338bc3885ab5ad.png

• Like 2

Coleman has so much potential, it's all gonna come down to coaching.  When you got them Trent RAS #s you know there's at least major potential, it's just gonna be a question of rising to it from a technical standpoint.  But I spent a fairly large chunk of the offseason talking about how, for someone like Maye, the technical issues like footwork and such weren't scaring me too much, and it was all fixable, and I think with Coleman the same is true.

There's actually a pretty good chance he becomes our LT, NOT IMMEDIATELY, but in like a year.  He clearly has experience there.  I suspect he's got a decent chance to be our starting RT this year AND do a pretty okay job at it.

But the longer I look at this pick and the surrounding info about him the more I like it.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2024 at 8:59 AM, OtisDriftwood25 said:

The little bit of tape I saw on him reminds me of Duane Brown. 

Not a bad comp. I think Brown was more of the 'dancing bear' type though - not that Coleman's feet are bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

Not a bad comp. I think Brown was more of the 'dancing bear' type though - not that Coleman's feet are bad.

Was more about his shoulders always staying square to the rusher. After watching his Senior Bowl 1-1, I see more of a tackle than a guard. He seems to struggle a bit with 315 lb power rush. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xxprodigyxx said:

I know most people aren't happy with the draft from an OL/T situation...but even if Coleman ends up having to move to guard, at least he's a guy with the measurable and athleticism indicative of a tackle. I have more hope for that than someone who is almost certainly a guard in these aspects that we hope can outplay their traits and become a tackle.

I think the issue here is that the team released its (below average) starter before the draft, didn't sign a real replacement in free agency, and didn't address the position until it was too late in the draft.  If Coleman was good LT prospect, he would have been taken much higher.  So keeping our rookie franchise quarterback upright now falls in large part on a rookie 3rd round draft choice.  Anyone have Charles Leno's  phone number?  How's his hip?

Edited by kfrankie

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Still bums me out that the Chiefs took Saumatia just a few picks before, but Coleman has some potential. I think you gotta try him at T first and if it doesn't work, then you kick him inside. 

Peters already said "we see him as a tackle"...so I think they might just try him there. :0 <-- that was supposed to be a smiley face...that's what I get for being cute. 

Edited by GhostofAlvinWalton
not good at emojis
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Feet are critical for an OT.

Some key physical characteristics that I would look for include a bubble butt, dancing feet, (natural) knee bender vs waist bender, arm length, hand size, and functional strength.

• Thumb up 1

On 4/29/2024 at 7:12 AM, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I wasn't as enamored about Suamataia as most here, but for reference here's the RAS compare.

image.png.4b363440bcfbfe8147338bc3885ab5ad.png

That’s wild. I didn’t even realize he was that athletic, thanks for sharing.

Listening to take command podcast and Logan said if you check out his 2022 film he looked pretty damn good at OT. Overall in his career he played way more LT than guard.

I watched 2022 TCU vs Texas and he looked great at OT.

Coleman was absolutely drafted as the LT of the future. Depending on how quickly he develops, he could be in that position much sooner than people realize. As many now know, he has the size and athleticism to do it. If he didn't have the injury and played at LT last year as he did in '22, he probably gets drafted way higher.

Will he start the season there? We just don't know yet, all part of a process that is playing out. If I had to bet at this moment, I'd say probably not. 

The only way Coleman plays G is if forced by injuries or Lucas beats him out for the LT spot to start and coaches think Coleman is the best option for LG over Allegretti. 

Who knows, maybe Coleman doesn't work out at LT, all that remains to be seen. But contrary to the likes of Kiper, Coleman was *not* drafted to play LG. 

• Like 2