Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

13 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I just thought most of us here implicitly understand and are aware that it doesn't really matter until September (although there appears to be a debate on this). I mean, what we're excited about *are* the prospects, and what's wrong with that at this point in time? That's just being a fan, part of what we do in the offseason.

But I think it does matter in many ways that aren't always apparent to the outside observer. I guarantee it matters to DQ and AP. John Keim certainly thinks it matters. If all one is interested in are wins and losses, then sure, none of this matters. There are casual fans out there who aren't paying attention to any of this. 

Personally, I enjoy watching the transformation and evolution of the entire organization play out. And that's something to be excited about. 

Edit: RVA got there first and was more eloquent anyway lol. 

Edited by sinews
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Pretty sure everyone is waiting to see what happens when it's a live game. 

Some people are choosing to be positive, some are being negative.

When everything seems to be going well, enjoy it. 

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, sinews said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I just thought most of us here implicitly understand and are aware that it doesn't really matter until September (although there appears to be a debate on this). I mean, what we're excited about *are* the prospects, and what's wrong with that at this point in time? That's just being a fan, part of what we do in the offseason.

But I think it does matter in many ways that aren't always apparent to the outside observer. I guarantee it matters to DQ and AP. John Keim certainly thinks it matters. If all one is interested in are wins and losses, then sure, none of this matters. There are casual fans out there who aren't paying attention to any of this. 

Personally, I enjoy watching the transformation and evolution of the entire organization play out. And that's something to be excited about. 

Edit: RVA got there first and was more eloquent anyway lol. 

It was definitely a tactical tweet-quote on my part to try and illustrate why a take can ring completely true/reasonable and also be not that nuanced or substantial, as people like to beat up on Doc around here (even though I rather enjoy him as a personality).

I get not wanting to engage with something that you don't think you can glean anything meaningful from, but what I get less is a semi-regular reminder of "THIS CURRENTLY HAPPENING ACTIVITY IS MEANINGLESS TO ME, CARRY ON."  It's the part of the calendar where the meaningless thing to you happens, it shouldn't be a surprise.

Totally appreciate that everyone gassed up on glowing mini-camp reports can all look like a bunch of suckers in a few months, lord knows I've been there.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

lord knows I've been there.

Oh, me too, for sure. My problem is that every offseason my optimism is fully renewed, it's just how I roll as a fan, no matter what happened the previous year. But like last season, it wasn't long before I realized the floor, and that resignation is an all too familiar feeling with this fanbase. 

I think it's a balancing act: excitement is fine when warranted as I think it is now, but must be tempered with realistic expectations. But with all new everything, expectations are difficult to hone and I think that's where the debate/discussion is coming from. There are far more unknowns this time around.

I think I like this idea of being process-oriented as a fan, taking up one of our FO's new mantras. The players often speak of taking one game/week at a time, and I think that would be healthy for this fanbase (although I know that will never happen–some of us will be predicting doomsday after JD's first INT).

Basically, it's all to say that this time around I'm trying to enjoy the moment and embrace the process of this franchise finally making a 180 and doing the kinds of things that the good teams do and have been doing. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, sinews said:

Oh, me too, for sure. My problem is that every offseason my optimism is fully renewed, it's just how I roll as a fan, no matter what happened the previous year. But like last season, it wasn't long before I realized the floor, and that resignation is an all too familiar feeling with this fanbase. 

I think it's a balancing act: excitement is fine when warranted as I think it is now, but must be tempered with realistic expectations. But with all new everything, expectations are difficult to hone and I think that's where the debate/discussion is coming from. There are far more unknowns this time around.

I think I like this idea of being process-oriented as a fan, taking up one of our FO's new mantras. The players often speak of taking one game/week at a time, and I think that would be healthy for this fanbase (although I know that will never happen–some of us will be predicting doomsday after JD's first INT).

Basically, it's all to say that this time around I'm trying to enjoy the moment and embrace the process of this franchise finally making a 180 and doing the kinds of things that the good teams do and have been doing. 

In reality, all a sports fan can reasonably ask for is a chance.  For the team to be run in a manner which gives it a reasonable opportunity at success.  We didn't have that for a long time, and the longer and longer that set in I think one of the ways to cope with it was to become smarter about football, because if following the team itself wasn't any fun, the intellectual pursuit side of it, breaking down the why's and the why not's could at least be stimulating.  I know I am a much smarter fan now than I was 15, 10 years ago as a result.  It'll actually be a sign of improvement for this franchise, if in 5 seasons time we don't care nearly as much about this time of year, or who makes the practice squad, or whether we get an upcoming UFA's deal done early or not.  We aren't there yet, and Dispassionate Rational Observer of Football is still a safer place to be, but I think it's changing slowly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure everyone is waiting to see what happens when it's a live game. 

Some people are choosing to be positive, some are being negative.

When everything seems to be going well, enjoy it. 

I'm excited to see how he looks in training camp when things get serious. That, and what he shows in relatively limited pre-season action. I think that'll at least give us a barometer of the direction he's heading, and what we should reasonably expect for his rookie campaign.

• Like 1

Aaimage.thumb.png.dad162d18a06cb6e21473f2f243f3b3d.png

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,

Old Time is still a-flying;

And this same flower that smiles today

Tomorrow will be dying

Embrace the moment, because it's the only certainty in life. 🙂

EDIT:

Speaking of rosebuds here's Jayden  live...

Aa

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I think it is important not to conflate all the positive things being said with expectations for Daniels rookie season.  This isn't a contender he was drafted onto and there are still plenty of question marks, especially on the O-line.  Whenever I hear tons of praise being heaped on a QB that hasn't played a snap in the NFL yet I always assume the coaches & front office are speaking to what the QB can become and not what they are right now and that is completely okay.  I think way too often people hear the the hype and expect them to go out and transform the team right away.  I fully expect to see some exciting plays and overall encouragement form the play of Daniels this season, but I am not going to assume it will translate to the Win column right away until I see how the rest of the team looks from week to week as well.  I also think it is reasonable that Daniels will look mediocre at times when he runs into specific defenses that have good game plans, it's just part of the territory and how it goes.  What I mostly want to see out of Daniels this season is a reason to believe he is the answer long term.  By the end of the season I want more answers than questions which is something we haven't had the benefit of from our drafted QBs in a long time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm stoked that Snyder is gone, but that doesn't mean things automatically have to get better.  I understand the reasons to be excited, I'm not completely oblivious.  But people are acting like it's a given that things are going to be better...there's just as much of a chance that this new regime won't make it, too.  

I'm with @mistertim.  Will be happy to see it once it starts to happen.  

IMO, things are already infinitely better.  We have an owner sparing no expense on the FO and scouting, who doesn’t need this team as a means to pay his bills. 

That doesn’t mean I like that we don’t have a left tackle, or that I think Dan Quinn is destined for the HOF, or that Jayden Daniels is a surefire Pro Bowler, or any of that. 

But this group absolutely deserves buy-in without the need to prove anything at this point in time.  At the end of the day, we are supposed to be fans of the team - not critics with hot takes.  I understand why many of us morphed into that, because we were owned by a scumbag that couldn’t even lose with grace - making it hard to want to spend $ on the team or really believe in it.  I’m willing to give this group some time to pull this ship from the wreckage and restore it.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is as good as it gets as far as a narrative in the last 30 years or so.

A.  Big bad wolf owner who we thought we were stuck with is gone.

B.  Bad GM and FO gone

C.  Replaced by an owner by all indications so far is rock star good

D.  Replaced with a GM who has the best reputation among all available personnel people

E.  They are loading the FO with All Start evaluators

F.  They just had a draft with 6 top 100 picks which is insane

G.  We were aggressive in FA and are still 2nd in available cap space

H.  We got a HC who seems motivated as heck and has lined up an all star staff

I.  We finally landed a top pick in a draft that was touted for QB talent

J.  We got a dude that some think was the best player in the draft at our pick -- we didn't have to trade the world to get him, he was right there at #2.

K.  That QB is being touted for having a great camp so far, works very hard, is likeable and humble

L.  The same GM, Peters who most of us touted seems to be in love with Daniels and what he can do for this organization

M.  Not just Daniels -- we are hearing great things about other draftees

N.  Players who have been part of the previous regime have said its night and day changed.

Facts. And you could’ve stopped at A and I’d be good. We have hope now. We could lose every game and Jaden be a bust and we are still so much better off. But the fact that B-N are all true is big time icing on the cake. I am bewildered how anyone could not be more fired up than they have been in a long, long, long time. Nothing against any of you who are expressing legitimate concerns, that’s fine, but if there was ever a time as fans to just go all in, this is it! Count me in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Commanders' Jayden Daniels: 'I ain't a star quarterback yet'

Aaimage.png.4a8b479879b7aaf50f0e5238f4155447.png

John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

Jun 12, 2024, 04:33 PM ET

ASHBURN, Va., -- Quarterback Jayden Daniels new Washington Commanders' teammates and coaches have shared, quite often, how impressed they are after his first offseason. The one person who isn't buying into the hype: Daniels himself.

"I ain't a star quarterback yet," he said, responding to a question about getting some perks of a franchise quarterback. "I got a long way to go. I'm a rookie."

Washington selected Daniels second overall with the hope of his being part of a franchise revival.

The Commanders have not had a winning season since 2016 and have made the postseason just six times since 1999, last winning a playoff game after the 2005 season. Daniels has already thrown out the first pitch at a Washington Nationals game, among other honors that go to the potential face of a franchise, especially one coming off a Heisman Trophy season at LSU

Meanwhile, teammates have universally praised him.

"Dude can sling it, man," right tackle Andrew Wylie said. "He makes it look easy; something about his game is just special. ... He is smiling, calling plays, making sure everyone's on the same page, and it's a special way that he commands the huddle and the respect of the group. I know it's early, but I'm excited blocking for him."

But from the time Daniels arrived in Washington, he has preached the same message: He just wants to do his job and is not elevating himself to any status other than rookie. He said he's working on "everything."

He arrives to the facility daily around 5:45 a.m., watches film and does walk-throughs in the practice bubble with rookie receiver Luke McCaffrey.

Daniels has picked the brain of veterans such as linebacker Bobby Wagner.

"If you really, really want to be successful, you want to learn, you want to be a pro at the highest level," Daniels said, "you got to take knowledge of people, learn from their routines. ...

"I just want to learn how to go out there and be a pro. And I'm just trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible."

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

lol   Is there something in every NFL player's contract that requires them to say the phrase "each and every day" a minimum of 3 times per interview or press conference?

(This isn't a knock on JD or anything, but he said it multiple times and it seems like every single other NFL player says it all the time as well)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

lol   Is there something in every NFL player's contract that requires them to say the phrase "each and every day" a minimum of 3 times per interview or press conference?

(This isn't a knock on JD or anything, but he said it multiple times and it seems like every single other NFL player says it all the time as well)

Probably talking points that coaches drill into them.

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Probably talking points that coaches drill into them.

Yea the smart ones listen to whoever the media people are that say “if you say these things they will say you are smart. If you say these things they will make your life hell”. 

Most of them hate this **** anyway so if saying the same thing over and over works for 90% of the questions fine lol

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol nah cause when the games start he’s not going to be throwing into tight windows, and not going to be able to handle the blitz and is going to be taking off running into the blitz. This means nothing because we won’t see his negative traits until the pads come on. Enough with this hype 😂

6 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Speaking of rosebuds here's Jayden  live...

That was an impressive media interview to me.  Probably the best I have seen with Jayden.  

He was personable and sure of his responses.  He is still learning this podium/audience (has a tendency to cast his eyes down), but he comes off as sincere, respectful and just a bit humble.  His "I" statements were direct and offset by glowing "we/them" acknowledgements. 

I came away thinking he is centered and having fun.  He is where he wants to be and enjoying it.

Also, there is a look he has, that flashes briefly during the interview, and the feeling I got from it was "assassin".  Like he knew more than he was saying, but doubt him at your own peril.  (It was probably just the way his dreads went back and forth across his eyes AND my buzz .... but ....)

It's hard not to be a fan of Jayden.:815:

:229:The Rook

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1