Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

This is how Jayden's elite running threat becomes so valuable, as it limits viable defensive concepts against our offense.  Playing single-high man coverage against us is always going to be dicey.  It's how he lit up Alabama.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Conn said:

He’s talking to a franchise that has zero chance to draft him at all. He’s probably only there because his agent told him it would be a bad look not to participate.

I don't think he did anything wrong.  Accidentally saying F in instead of X in when he was repeating the call is a trivial mispeak.  He knew the F was the read and that's what "throw a touchdown" meant, and everyone in that room understood that.  If I were the coach testing him with all of this, I would like that he gave me a ****y ass answer like that.  I want my quarterback to be a confident big play hunter and show me his real personality in the interview.  I love to hear Jayden telling me this play against that look is a touchdown ball, that's the kind of mentality dudes like Mahomes have.  I ask my QB "what do you think about X play here?" and I want him to say "I love it, let's run it" and know that he's going to be trying to push the ball.

I also don't think there was anything extra about the way Daboll interviewed him, as someone else said.  Nor do I think there was anything perfunctory about the way Jayden handled that interview.  First off, you never know who you're going to need to work with one day.  Daboll could absolutely end up being one of his coaches sooner or later.  Second, he didn't seem like he was acting any different there.  Jayden has laid back swagger and seems like he always acts like this to me.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I also don't think there was anything extra about the way Daboll interviewed him, as someone else said.

Extra was a poor choice of word to use there. Just came across like he was going for a gotcha moment.  Perhaps that was the goal, it just had a different tone in contrast to when I’ve watched similar exercises with Gruden.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

And yeah, his ability to run definitely makes those kind of single high coverages dicey. I'm fine with runs like that where it's green grass in front of him. My concern is more the A gap designed runs where he got lit up. Those will get him sent to the hospital in the NFL.

I don't think we're going to design inside runs for him in anything but typical short yardage scenarios.  But I do think he will have to frequently run up the middle of the field on scrambles.  Let's be realistic and acknowledge that, while our IOL might be at least competent, our tackles are probably going to suck and teams are going to unleash the hounds on them with wide rushers, mostly working outside-in.  Jayden's best scramble creases are mostly going to develop in the middle of his pocket.

What he needs to do differently in the NFL in those situations is give up on the 40 yarder and start working the ball outside the numbers once he gets into open space.  And use a slide, but that's not a panacea. QBs still get hurt on slides and it's not always possible to get into position to slide on a scramble.  Your head drops real fast on a slide and sometimes you're better off just bracing for the hit like a normal runner.

15 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't think we're going to design inside runs for him in anything but typical short yardage scenarios.  But I do think he will have to frequently run up the middle of the field on scrambles.  Let's be realistic and acknowledge that, while our IOL might be at least competent, our tackles are probably going to suck and teams are going to unleash the hounds on them with wide rushers, mostly working outside-in.  Jayden's best scramble creases are mostly going to develop in the middle of his pocket.

What he needs to do differently in the NFL in those situations is give up on the 40 yarder and start working the ball outside the numbers once he gets into open space.  And use a slide, but that's not a panacea. QBs still get hurt on slides and it's not always possible to get into position to slide on a scramble.  Your head drops real fast on a slide and sometimes you're better off just bracing for the hit like a normal runner.

I think you're probably right about our OL and this is where my concern about how statistically often he tucked and ran vs bought time and then threw the ball in a scramble drill comes into play.

I hope he adjusts that to so he's much more likely to keep his eyes up and look for an open guy downfield while moving than pulling his eyes down and immediately running. My fear is that if he continues that trend in the NFL then a full speed run-in with a 245lb linebacker could cut his season or even career short.

9 hours ago, mistertim said:

What's your analysis? That he was just too slow mentally for the NFL in general and he was doomed even if he worked hard?

No, that is not what I think. I think he did not have enough playing time as a college prospect to be effective in the NFL.  He was foisted into the position due to another Dan Snyder blunder. He played in 15 games over 2 seasons with the Commanders and compiled a total QBR of 29.4.  The league average was 63.5 during that period. The guy threw 12 touchdowns to 14 interceptions. 

In college he started ONLY 14 games, and his own coach was surprised he declared for the draft.  You know you are interesting to me @mistertim.   You keep saying you need to see Jayden Daniels in game time action to see if he is the real deal.  The guy spent I think, a total of 5 years in college, at two different schools, learning from mistakes, honing his skills, making adjustments to protect his body, and making decisions IMO with some foresight that maybe, just maybe he would have a better chance at success on the NFL level, if he applied himself on the college level. Get as much experience as you can.  

You have never speculated that maybe IF Haskins had spent say 3 years in college, he could have developed his skill set and gain THE EXPERIENCE to succeed on the NFL level. He did not have enough experience. And he did not have good people advising him IMO.

I look at this Manning kid who plays for Texas, and you do not hear him trying to manipulate his way onto the field.  He is in his second year and knows he is going to be the #2, but understands he needs to learn, and grow and he says over and over he will get his shot. That is how someone who wants to be successful does things IMO. The game action he has seen, albeit limited, he has done well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Jayden is the opposite of overwhelmed in that clip.  He's loose and letting his dick swing, bragging about the play he can make on that concept against that coverage.  How did he miss the read?

The one surefire thing you can takeaway from this whole offseason is that Jayden has never been overwhelmed by this transition from college to pro.  If anything, he's too ****y.

Let's not blow things out of proportion. He wasn't a ****y asshole. He looked nervous but tried to sound confident. All in all he came across normal and knowledgeable. If he's watching this, I think he'd probably do it over again but just add a few words. Like, "Against a Cover 1? Hit the touchdown throw" Or something. Given that he looked a little nervous and what I've read about him, I would bet he's overanalyzing how he came across there.

Daboll was big into interrupting the players, I don't know if he's always like that, or if he wants to stress them and see if they get flustered but it didn't appear effective. The clips I saw of Nabers and Maye also gave the same vibe of "They could draft me...don't screw this up", and Daboll's efforts were a little weird. I would also bet if that clip with Jayden Daniels went on longer, Daboll probably would have talked over Daniels explanation of why he went with that route.

I don't think Daboll is going to succeed in his stint with the Giants. I don't think Daniel Jones is the type of guy that would have his level of play or knowledge raised from how Daboll comes across in conversations.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, skinsmania123 said:

No, that is not what I think. I think he did not have enough playing time as a college prospect to be effective in the NFL.  He was foisted into the position due to another Dan Snyder blunder. He played in 15 games over 2 seasons with the Commanders and compiled a total QBR of 29.4.  The league average was 63.5 during that period. The guy threw 12 touchdowns to 14 interceptions. 

In college he started ONLY 14 games, and his own coach was surprised he declared for the draft.  You know you are interesting to me @mistertim.   You keep saying you need to see Jayden Daniels in game time action to see if he is the real deal.  The guy spent I think, a total of 5 years in college, at two different schools, learning from mistakes, honing his skills, making adjustments to protect his body, and making decisions IMO with some foresight that maybe, just maybe he would have a better chance at success on the NFL level, if he applied himself on the college level. Get as much experience as you can.  

You have never speculated that maybe IF Haskins had spent say 3 years in college, he could have developed his skill set and gain THE EXPERIENCE to succeed on the NFL level. He did not have enough experience. And he did not have good people advising him IMO.

I look at this Manning kid who plays for Texas, and you do not hear him trying to manipulate his way onto the field.  He is in his second year and knows he is going to be the #2, but understands he needs to learn, and grow and he says over and over he will get his shot. That is how someone who wants to be successful does things IMO. The game action he has seen, albeit limited, he has done well.

Daniels and Haskins have absolutely nothing to do with each other. My issues and concerns with Daniels are completely different than the issues and concerns I had with Haskins and the reason(s) I think he failed.

You're grasping at straws that don't even exist.

Daboll comes off looking like an asshole changing all the letters and also throwing a F'n F in there... Flanker???

He looked like a coach that knows he has no chance of drafting of a QB.  Maybe that's normal for him or all coaches grading prospects - who knows. Regardless, JD punked him out with this quick reply and forced him to admit he liked the answer.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, RVAskins said:

It is interesting to see some of the crap potential draftees have to go through. It has to get on their nerves at times.

That's nothing compared to the crap they'll have to deal with once they're drafted and, as the QB, are the face of the franchise. If they can't handle tough interview questions from coaches, there's little chance they'll last in the NFL.

11 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Let's not blow things out of proportion. He wasn't a ****y asshole. He looked nervous but tried to sound confident. All in all he came across normal and knowledgeable. If he's watching this, I think he'd probably do it over again but just add a few words. Like, "Against a Cover 1? Hit the touchdown throw" Or something. Given that he looked a little nervous and what I've read about him, I would bet he's overanalyzing how he came across there.

Daboll was big into interrupting the players, I don't know if he's always like that, or if he wants to stress them and see if they get flustered but it didn't appear effective. The clips I saw of Nabers and Maye also gave the same vibe of "They could draft me...don't screw this up", and Daboll's efforts were a little weird. I would also bet if that clip with Jayden Daniels went on longer, Daboll probably would have talked over Daniels explanation of why he went with that route.

I don't think Daboll is going to succeed in his stint with the Giants. I don't think Daniel Jones is the type of guy that would have his level of play or knowledge raised from how Daboll comes across in conversations.

You could be right.  I don't watch Hard Knocks, so I didn't see the other interviews.  I didn't think there was anything wrong or unusual with Jayden or Daboll in the clip posted here.

I don't think Daboll is going to work out either, but not because of the way he interacts with prospects.  It'll be from how he runs his coaching staff, where the story is he is wishy washy and paranoid and dysfunctional.  Basically bullied and scapegoated and undermined Mike Kafka until he wanted out and they had to give him a promotional title so he wouldn't make a lateral move.  Ruined the continuity of their offense with the way he would jerk back play calling, and it almost led to a mid season mutiny on his staff.  He doesn't have the temperament to be a head coach, who are supposed to be a stabilizing force.  Brilliant assistant coach though.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, illone said:

Jayden on Hard Knocks is a non-story.

The NYG GM on the other hand... 

Guy looks like a complete buffoon.

😂

Yeah he doesn't come across polished at all despite being in the job for a few years already. 

Compare him to the footage we've seen of GMAP and its light and day. 

I watched the two episodes of hard knocks last night.

Is it just me or should dabol be more careful in choosing his words in these interviews. 

I cringed a little when jayden was asked to repeat the play at the end of his interview and dabol replied by saying "atta boy"

I'm sure he didn't mean anything disrespectful by it and maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seemed like a poor choice of words to me.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Is it just me or should dabol be more careful in choosing his words in these interviews. 

I cringed a little when jayden was asked to repeat the play at the end of his interview and dabol replied by saying "atta boy"

I'm sure he didn't mean anything disrespectful by it and maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seemed like a poor choice of words to me.

Because attaboy is an informal expression of enthusiastic praise or encouragement addressed to boys, men, and male animals (such as one's dog).

Is this why?

There is a racial component to referring to black men as "boys." But that wasn't what Daboll was doing. Attaboy is just a common way of saying "good job." I wouldn't take anything out of it. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I don't think Daboll is going to work out either, but not because of the way he interacts with prospects.  It'll be from how he runs his coaching staff, where the story is he is wishy washy and paranoid and dysfunctional.  Basically bullied and scapegoated and undermined Mike Kafka until he wanted out and they had to give him a promotional title so he wouldn't make a lateral move.  Ruined the continuity of their offense with the way he would jerk back play calling, and it almost led to a mid season mutiny on his staff.  He doesn't have the temperament to be a head coach, who are supposed to be a stabilizing force.  Brilliant assistant coach though.

Wait, there was an almost mutiny on the offensive side of the coaching staff? Wasn't there an actual mutiny in the defensive coaching staff that spilled over into the off-season? Their DC Wink Martindale and some of his staff refused to take orders from Daboll. They had a big stalemate after the season ended. Tried to force Wink to quit, he refused, so they cut him preserving his salary.

If Daboll had two separate mutinies going on under him, on both sides of the coaching staff, then his personality and how he interacts must be incredibly grating and incompetence inducing. I'm envisioning your classic bad middle manager who is beyond frustrating and all good ideas that go to him die.

43 minutes ago, redskinss said:

You're reading too much into it. There wasn't any sort of racial undertone, it was just a "good job". Here's more of their QB interviews. Daboll doesn't really come off as especially obnoxious. He asks pretty pointed questions but seems to know what he's looking for. I thought the "time out, tell me the name of the play I told you" while Jayden was answering a question about how he handles difficult times was a bit ehhh, though I understand his reasoning for it.

• Like 1

I have been on the Jayden bus since early in the process. I have seen nothing to change my mind, I have no doubt he will deliver exciting highlight plays on a regular basis. If I have any concerns it remains feel in the pocket. This is what makes so many great QBs great, the ability to feel pressure, slide or sidestep, and make a big play.  I'm not sure I've seen a lot of that in the tape I have watched, he tends to take off a bit quickly. That can be corrected but a natural Tony Romo like feel in the pocket?  I think a lot of that you are born with and right now I don't know if he has it or not.  

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have been on the Jayden bus since early in the process. I have seen nothing to change my mind, I have no doubt he will deliver exciting highlight plays on a regular basis. If I have any concerns it remains feel in the pocket. This is what makes so many great QBs great, the ability to feel pressure, slide or sidestep, and make a big play.  I'm not sure I've seen a lot of that in the tape I have watched, he tends to take off a bit quickly. That can be corrected but a natural Tony Romo like feel in the pocket?  I think a lot of that you are born with and right now I don't know if he has it or not.  

I agree with you about pocket feel but I also feel like he was coached at LSU to run a lot because his legs are a better check down than any of their RBs or TEs.

I also think Daniels's fast processing and polished footwork will allow him to develop that pocket feel pretty quickly.

• Like 1