Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I like where your head is at, but I'm going to wait until he takes at least 4 or 5 snaps in a regular season game before I decide what his floor/ceiling will be.

I’ll be waiting for your breakdown after snap 5. lol

No doubt, the reasonable thing is to wait until it smacks you in the face, but at times speculating and projecting is fun for me as a fan. 

There are no guarantees, but barring injury, I don’t see how this guy won’t be an impact player from day one. He will definitely be the first player circled, underlined, and highlighted by opponents since maybe DeSean Jackson (another soul snatcher).

Edited by wit33
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

You ain't my friend, palooka.

🫡

Though I do love how you somehow transformed "wait and see what happens when he starts playing" into being some sort of crazy black and white take. 

I didn’t. I overall agree with the wait and sentiment to know exactly what we have and you’re right, we won’t know overall until game time. What I didn’t agree with is extrapolating that and saying looking strong to start = nothing. Your take is basically, idc how the hell he looks cause it means literally zilch. And I think that’s bogus.

There have been young QBs who looked good in camp and sucked and young QBs who looked like crap in camp and went on to be elite. It's camp. It's mostly for learning the offense and beginning to acclimate to the NFL.

Plenty have looked good and sucked sure. It happens all the time outside of QB even. Some guys buckle when the lights come on and defenses are actively game planning so yes this is true. It’s why I agree with the overall wait and see approach. But I cannot and will not agree that if he looked bad right now, it just doesn’t matter. For the reasons I’ve already mentioned. I’d challenge you to find guys who have looked horrific in camp and then came out guns blazing lighting the league on fire. Spare me Mahomes who allegedly was asked to open up the offense and see what he could get away with. 

And your bad footwork, spraying balls stuff is irrelevant because none of that has ever been my concern with him. My concerns with him are things that IMO will only be revealed through actual game play.

Sure that’s great. But speed of the game is different, even in practice. And the ball is hardly touching the ground. He’s got command of the offense early. There’s a buzz around him in the media and with his coaches teammates and executives. We will all have to wait and see if this translates, but it’s a hell of a lot better and promising than if he weren’t showing these capabilities. To chalk that up as a big nothing burger and that it isn’t a positive step in the direction we all want to see him go in is rather perplexing to me. 

There is a similar debate happening on the Patriots subreddit about Drake Maye.  There is one part of their fanbase taking his strong OTA performances and running with it, and another part reminding everyone how good Mac Jones looked in OTAs, training camps, and preseasons too.

I think these camp performances aren't that revealing, good or bad.  It's just really basic stuff that's a miniscule portion of the job.  The part that is legit good news for us is that Jayden's teammates and coaching staff are behind him.  Jayden establishing that early leadership presence is everything for us.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

There is a similar debate happening on the Patriots subreddit about Drake Maye.  There is one part of their fanbase taking his strong OTA performances and running with it, and another part reminding everyone how good Mac Jones looked in OTAs, training camps, and preseasons too.

I think these camp performances aren't that revealing, good or bad.  It's just really basic stuff that's a miniscule portion of the job.  The part that is legit good news for us is that Jayden's teammates and coaching staff are behind him.  Jayden establishing that early leadership presence is everything for us.

Mac Jones also looked good that first regular season games too....but he eventually was figured out,  never adjusted, and the floor fell out at that point.    Jayden has to keep changing and adapting his game once NFL defenses catch on.   I hope he can do that.  

43 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Mac Jones also looked good that first regular season games too....but he eventually was figured out,  never adjusted, and the floor fell out at that point.    Jayden has to keep changing and adapting his game once NFL defenses catch on.   I hope he can do that.  

Imagine if Mac Jones also ran a 4.3 40 time 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, profusion said:

I'm far, far less concerned about JD being good than I am about him surviving behind this OL. He'd better excel at the "off-script" stuff awfully quickly, because he'll get a lot of practice at it!

I get where you’re coming from, but even if the OL is only marginally improved (and I think it’s improved more than that personally, but just for arguments’ sake) I don’t think it will be as bad as you’re picturing. It will be average, not good, not a terrible liability. A steady running game, solid defense, and quick passing game that actually takes advantage of behind center play action and isn’t just purely out of shotgun is going to help the young QB a ton. 

I really think despite how much we talk about it, people really truly struggle to conceptualize exactly how bad EB, his scheme, and his playcalling was. (this is less important but he also had rancid vibes)

I suspect there’s still a large percentage of people who think “well it fell apart the second half of the season, but there was a stretch where the passing game at least was actually good” because Howell’s passing yards were high. That is absolutely not the case, it was just volume. EB was horrendous, his concepts were vanilla, his playcalling was predictable and didn’t build on anything play to play or week to week. It was empty numbers. Over half the sacks were avoidable (either by a more aware QB with more experience or through better play calling that helped the QB instead of hurt him). I could go on and on. Early in the season I was on the train that they were purposely putting Howell through the wringer and calling things inefficiently to speed up his development but as I watched more and more it became clear how clueless EB was. Almost maliciously so which is kinda sad considering he was basically coaching for his career, yet did SO poorly with a good faith effort.  

We need to see how he’ll do at attacking over the middle of the field, but in general he’s going to be able to get the ball out quickly and accurately with consistent footwork and mechanics and a speedy release. I underrated the value of that in the draft process I think, but it’s going to enable a really QB-friendly passing game early on paired with the running game I expect and a defense that can keep Daniels from having to be the hero all the time. That’s not even getting into what his legs can add for us if he’s smart. The OL is not going to sink us or endanger him to the level people are expecting. It didn’t even need to last year, with worse talent, if EB wasn’t such a dip****.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Conn said:

I get where you’re coming from, but even if the OL is only marginally improved (and I think it’s improved more than that personally, but just for arguments’ sake) I don’t think it will be as bad as you’re picturing. It will be average, not good, not a terrible liability. A steady running game, solid defense, and quick passing game that actually takes advantage of behind center play action and isn’t just purely out of shotgun is going to help the young QB a ton. 

I really think despite how much we talk about it, people really truly struggle to conceptualize exactly how bad EB, his scheme, and his playcalling was. (this is less important but he also had rancid vibes)

I suspect there’s still a large percentage of people who think “well it fell apart the second half of the season, but there was a stretch where the passing game at least was actually good” because Howell’s passing yards were high. That is absolutely not the case, it was just volume. EB was horrendous, his concepts were vanilla, his playcalling was predictable and didn’t build on anything play to play or week to week. It was empty numbers. Over half the sacks were avoidable (either by a more aware QB with more experience or through better play calling that helped the QB instead of hurt him). I could go on and on. Early in the season I was on the train that they were purposely putting Howell through the wringer and calling things inefficiently to speed up his development but as I watched more and more it became clear how clueless EB was. Almost maliciously so which is kinda sad considering he was basically coaching for his career, yet did SO poorly with a good faith effort.  

We need to see how he’ll do at attacking over the middle of the field, but in general he’s going to be able to get the ball out quickly and accurately with consistent footwork and mechanics. I underrated the value of that in the draft process I think, but it’s going to enable a really QB-friendly passing game early on paired with the running game I expect and a defense that can keep Daniels from having to be the hero all the time. That’s not even getting into what his legs can add for us if he’s smart. 

Also it seemed like even last year's poor O-line improved when the offense focused on the run and established it in the small amount of games it was implemented into. Most of the fans couldn't make sense of the way Run-Pass balance given a 1st year starter and a mediocre O-line to protect him.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

That, plus being ahead of the curve in terms of preparation (which is probably interwoven with the leadership and the players being behind him).

I’m not going to diminish him looking good passing the ball (we’ve had others in here that looked innacurate), but it’s a much smaller facet than the above IMO.

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

The part that is legit good news for us is that Jayden's teammates and coaching staff are behind him.  Jayden establishing that early leadership presence is everything for us

This is the crux of the argument though. It’s really really hard to establish presence command and leadership when you come out looking not great in practice. That’s quite literally why it matters, and a lot. Doesn’t mean he’s destined for greatness at all. It means he’s getting buy in early, which matters significantly. Throwing it in the trash as nothing is dismissing this aspect completely, and that’s what everyone here is trying to point out. To no avail to @mistertim.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Nothing like a good old dose of blind homerism to assuage all of my fears. 😆

I mean...you can look back at my post history and everything I said hyping Jayden up pre-draft is ringing true early on. It's all good though, some folks are hesitant to believe and haven't got over RG3 and how he turned out. JD5 was made for this new age NFL. Just like in practice, he'll dominate when the games count as well too. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Looking good in OTAs is better than not.  Having a bad day in OTAs happens as well.

Ultimately, there’s no conclusions to jump to.  But hearing the guys around him respect his game and he looks crisp is the preference.

I could have sworn it meant literally nothing and he could be tripping over himself spraying balls everywhere without it meaning anything. Cause mistertim said so! And because those weren’t his concerns so if he’s doing it who cares cause it’s OTAs!!!

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

I mean...you can look back at my post history and everything I said hyping Jayden up pre-draft is ringing true early on. It's all good though, some folks are hesitant to believe and haven't got over RG3 and how he turned out. JD5 was made for this new age NFL. Just like in practice, he'll dominate when the games count as well too. 

The main reason a lot of us were hesitant to believe, is about his ability to withstand hits in the NFL. And we still have no idea how that’s going to go. But still, it’s great to hear all of the positive signs about his play and leadership, and I hope you get to continue taking your victory lap about him for years to come! I am definitely convinced at this point that we made the right pick, and just hoping he stays healthy like I would any player.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TurningTheCorner said:

This is the crux of the argument though. It’s really really hard to establish presence command and leadership when you come out looking not great in practice. That’s quite literally why it matters, and a lot. Doesn’t mean he’s destined for greatness at all. It means he’s getting buy in early, which matters significantly. Throwing it in the trash as nothing is dismissing this aspect completely, and that’s what everyone here is trying to point out. To no avail to @mistertim.

That's the crux of your argument and then you're basically making one up for me it seems, as I've never "dismissed completely" the good stuff coming out. All I've said is that the things in his game that concern me aren't things that are very likely to show themselves in camp. So it's great that there are nice things coming out, but my bigger concerns probably won't be assuaged until we see what happens in real game situations. 

And even then, he gets a whole season before I make any judgments one way or the other.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

That's the crux of your argument and then you're basically making one up for me it seems, as I've never "dismissed completely" the good stuff coming out. All I've said is that the things in his game that concern me aren't things that are very likely to show themselves in camp. So it's great that there are nice things coming out, but my bigger concerns probably won't be assuaged until we see what happens in real game situations. 

And even then, he gets a whole season before I make any judgments one way or the other.

That’s a fair argument but not how much of what you said reads. If true, totally fair. It’s come off way more as “who cares, it’s OTA’s and doesn’t matter either way.”

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

There are no guarantees, but barring injury, I don’t see how this guy won’t be an impact player from day one. He will definitely be the first player circled, underlined, and highlighted by opponents since maybe DeSean Jackson (another soul snatcher).

This is exactly why they drafted him. Sure, there are no guarantees. He could get hurt.  But after watching him and listening to him, I wanted him more than any other QB in the draft. I think most fans made the RG3 comparison because of his perceived fragility.

I compared him to RG3 in multiple ways. I think Jayden has a better mindset and is more dedicated to his craft. I think overall he is more mentally flexible. I think he is a better passer then RG3. AND unlike RG3 he enjoys watching tape and embraces game preparation. 

You have to take risks with this type of talent.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

This is exactly why they drafted him. Sure, there are no guarantees. He could get hurt.  But after watching him and listening to him, I wanted him more than any other QB in the draft. I think most fans made the RG3 comparison because of his perceived fragility.

I compared him to RG3 in multiple ways. I think Jayden has a better mindset and is more dedicated to his craft. I think overall he is more mentally flexible. I think he is a better passer then RG3. AND unlike RG3 he enjoys watching tape and embraces game preparation. 

You have to take risks with this type of talent.  

He appears to have a great sense of self, and I won’t be surprised if we learn more about him that he largely doesn’t care how the outside world thinks the QB position should be played. RG3 seemed consumed with resisting the running QB label, almost to his detriment, due to wanting to fit into the mold of what others feel a QB should be.

Daniels has made it a point to mention wanting to be like guys who played like him in the past while also striving to be great as a pocket passer. I believe he’s okay with either a 1,000-yard rushing season or a 500-yard rushing season; it all depends on how the defenses play him during the course of a season. 

Potential trailblazer. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

He appears to have a great sense of self, and I won’t be surprised if we learn more about him that he largely doesn’t care how the outside world thinks the QB position should be played. RG3 seemed consumed with resisting the running QB label, almost to his detriment, due to wanting to fit into the mold of what others feel a QB should be.

Daniels has made it a point to mention wanting to be like guys who played like him in the past while also striving to be great as a pocket passer. I believe he’s okay with either a 1,000-yard rushing season or a 500-yard rushing season; it all depends on how the defenses play him during the course of a season. 

Potential trailblazer. 

RG3 was smart in wanting to develop into more of a pocket passer vs a runner, especially after almost getting his leg snapped off while running.. Elite passers have long careers and win championships; elite runners get some oohs and ahhs and then either get injured or flame out on their own.

RG3's problem was his diva attitude and that he simply didn't seem to have the requisite study habits or inherent drive to truly mold himself into an upper echelon passer.

• Like 2

He looks good right now.  

Thats better than looking bad.

We won’t know for several years how truly good he can be consistently.

However I’ll take “looks good now” over “sure it doesn’t look good but there’s nothing to worry about.”

It’s a process.  And growth isn’t necessarily always linear.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)

The combination of Jayden Daniels and Dan Quinn is apparently starting to put some fear and respect in the hearts of our enemies-- and those are  two words that our opponents haven't associated with our team in decades.

Here's what a popular Cowboy blogger said about us...

"...Jayden Daniels may be better prepared for the NFL than any rookie...because he's waking up early, he's getting in there, he's getting his work done..."

"...Dan Quinn...it would not surprise me one bit if he's able to get the Commanders...to the playoffs this year..."

".. In the past...because of bad coaching and because of injuries, I was never, never, impressed with...Ron Rivera, or Jack DelRio...I felt like they was(sic) holding them (the Commanders) back...that's not going to be the case this year..."

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, TurningTheCorner said:

Nah, him throwing and practicing well in OTAs isnt why the team rallied behind him.  Everyone has their own stuff to focus on, his individual performances in these camps just aren't that meaningful.  It absolutely would not prevent the team from getting behind him if he were struggling in the practices.  Everyone knows that these things are about finding limits and installing new concepts, working on weak areas or developing new skills, knocking off rust, so on and so forth.  All that really matters at this stage are the intangibles Jayden shows his teammates and coaches.  Does he have a mature approach to preparation and being a pro?  Is he poised and does he seem like he belongs in the job?  Is he a natural leader?  These are the meaningful qualities that JD has demonstrated, and they would be there even if he was struggling to hit throws and make reads and execute new installations. But even still, you can only extrapolate a little about prospects in camps.  Some guys look like seasoned pros right off the bat, but eventually can't keep up with the grind of an NFL season or continuously grow and expand like the best players do.

• Like 1