Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Nope, just get on the hype train :)

The hype train is dumb this early. We need to see JD in game situations before deciding that he's headed to Canton. Again, the signs are very good, but the camp signs have also been very good for QBs who ended up doing nothing. Great that he seems to be picking up the playbook and studying/working hard. But the actual test will be once we see him playing against real defenses in real games.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The hype train is dumb this early. We need to see JD in game situations before deciding that he's headed to Canton. Again, the signs are very good, but the camp signs have also been very good for QBs who ended up doing nothing. Great that he seems to be picking up the playbook and studying/working hard. But the actual test will be once we see him playing against real defenses in real games.

That’s just boring though. Enjoy the moment :)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

That’s just boring though. Enjoy the moment :)

Maybe it's boring for people addicted to hype. But it's realistic. I not going to get caught up in it until I see how he plays during the regular season. But feel free to drink the kool-aid if you want. I just hope it doesn't end up having cyanide in it eventually.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Maybe it's boring for people addicted to hype. But it's realistic. I not going to get caught up in it until I see how he plays during the regular season. But feel free to drink the kool-aid if you want. I just hope it doesn't end up having cyanide in it eventually.

:ols: Just enjoy the offseason ride. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

There is no ride. The actual ride starts when games start. Until then it's mostly fluff.

You’re being too soft, holdout until he wins a SB. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

You’re being too soft, holdout until he wins a SB. 

Not expecting us to win a SB this year. I just want to see how he plays in actual game situations before making a judgement, because that's where my concerns come into play. Just like I did with Howell, like I would have done for Maye, McCarthy, anyone.

I get the hype and it's fun, but it's too often been fool's gold, so I'm going to wait until seeing the results in game (and realistically giving him a whole season before making any sort of judgement).

I'm just not sure why some people find this unreasonable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm just not sure why some people find this unreasonable.

Because you seem to be stuck in neutral from a Dan Snyder owned team, and not seeing the stark difference that Josh Harris has already brought this organization.  To be fair,  you are waiting to see actual results on the field,  however there is no doubt that will come with what we are building now.    The only question is, how long will it take to get consistent results?          

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, srtman04 said:

Because you seem to be stuck in neutral from a Dan Snyder owned team, and not seeing the stark difference that Josh Harris has already brought this organization.  To be fair,  you are waiting to see actual results on the field,  however there is no doubt that will come with what we are building now.    The only question is, how long will it take to get consistent results?          

Josh Harris doesn't have direct control over how well Daniels adjusts to the NFL. So yes, I'm waiting to see the actual results on the field because that's what will tell the real story, not being happy about having a new owner or that Daniels so far looks good in shorts in camp.

Josh Harris isn't going to stop Daniels from potentially running as soon as he's pressured. Josh Harris isn't going to make Daniels more willing to make 2nd level tight windows throws that he rarely made in college.

I'm not saying JD won't be able to do those things, but the idea that a new owner has any influence over JD's actual play is silly.

Hence why I'm going to wait and see how JD looks once he takes the field in actual NFL games.

And as far as "there is no doubt that will come", it's is simply not true. QBs bust all the time. Hopefully that won't be JD. But, again that's why I'm waiting to see the product on the field.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

There is no ride. The actual ride starts when games start. Until then it's mostly fluff.

You’d be pissing your pants over Drake Maye being this hot so soon :rofl89:

Ok, I agree then, fluff until September it is…..:bye:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

You’d be pissing your pants over Drake Maye being this hot so soon :rofl89:

Ok, I agree then, fluff until September it is…..:bye:

I wouldn't give two ****s about Maye playing well in shorts at the beginning of camp. Neither would I Williams, or McCarthy, or Penix, or whoever. When they're in a game situation, that's when it matters. But please feel free to keep pretending that you know what's going on in my head and acting like a presumptuous ass.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I wouldn't give two ****s about Maye playing well in shorts at the beginning of camp. Neither would I Williams, or McCarthy, or Penix, or whoever. When they're in a game situation, that's when it matters. But please feel free to keep pretending that you know what's going on in my head and acting like a presumptuous ass.

Maybe not, but it surely raises eyebrows when a top QB prospect looks BAD in camp. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Maybe not, but it surely raises eyebrows when a top QB prospect looks BAD in camp. 

Sure it could cause some concern. But, again, I don't think much truly matters until the bullets are flying for real. That's why I'm not going to judge JD (and wouldn't judge any of the other rookies) until I see him in some live games.

He might continue to look good in pads against real defenses and real pressure/pass rushes, he might look terrible. I'm obviously hoping for the former, but I'm going to give pretty much any rookie at the very minimum half a season before even starting to come to a judgement. But most likely a whole season.

I get the hype train, and that people are excited that we have a shiny new top pick QB. But I'm just not going to drink the kool-aid until we see how he does in live game situations.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think there's anything inappropriate about @mistertim holding judgment until actual games.

Personally, my biggest concern with Jayden was durability, so part of me will be holding my breath until Week 18 if I'm being honest. Doesn't mean I won't enjoy encouraging news along the way, but the most important measures physically can't be proven out until January, anyway. 

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Conn said:

Sounds like around the league, the gap between Daniels and Maye wasn’t small at all. And that for Peters, it was McCarthy closest to Daniels, not Maye. 

In the beginning, if memory serves, they were saying it was small and some even hesitant due to his small size even gave a push to Maye. McCarthy got the push as it got closer to the draft but mostly from his camp but before that I don't think anyone was thinking McCarthy vs. Daniels rather than Daniels vs. Maye. The Pats could have gone McCarthy if that was the case but instead went with Maye. McCarthy went #10 overall. Even Penix was selected before him. Will see how all that shakes out when the season starts though. 

Some executives who knew Adam Peters said he will take JJ at #2. I guess they really didn't know him that well lol 

Edited by zCommander

54 minutes ago, zCommander said:

In the beginning, if memory serves, they were saying it was small and some even hesitant due to his small size even gave a push to Maye. McCarthy got the push as it got closer to the draft but mostly from his camp but before that I don't think anyone was thinking McCarthy vs. Daniels rather than Daniels vs. Maye. The Pats could have gone McCarthy if that was the case but instead went with Maye. McCarthy went #10 overall. Even Penix was selected before him. Will see how all that shakes out when the season starts though. 

Some executives who knew Adam Peters said he will take JJ at #2. I guess they really didn't know him that well lol 

I think if it was Belichick he may very well have gone McCarthy as it seems like his sort of QB. But IMO Mayo is a different breed and probably decided to go with traits and upside vs super refined mechanics and footwork, so they went with Maye instead.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, zCommander said:

Keim has confirmed multiple times that Peters preferred McCarthy to Maye, he is about as infallible as it gets. It just didn’t matter because Daniels was so far ahead of any of the rest. 

It doesn’t matter what the national media rumor mill was in the offseason, who’s getting “the push” when or whatever. It became pretty apparent by draft time that the NFL did not have Daniels close to Maye at all. I say that as someone who wanted Maye. The reporting from reliable local and national people on this is about as ironclad as it gets, our limited perspective in March or April doesn’t really matter anymore. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think if it was Belichick he may very well have gone McCarthy as it seems like his sort of QB. But IMO Mayo is a different breed and probably decided to go with traits and upside vs super refined mechanics and footwork, so they went with Maye instead.

I don't think any of the QB's are super refined. They're all still mostly traits and upside right now.

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I don't think any of the QB's are super refined. They're all still mostly traits and upside right now.

Daniels is mechanically very clean and sound. And his release is outstanding.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Conn said:

Keim has confirmed multiple times that Peters preferred McCarthy to Maye, he is about as infallible as it gets. It just didn’t matter because Daniels was so far ahead of any of the rest. 

I keep thinking about this with regards to how lucky we were to wind up at 2 instead of 3. We could have wound up with McCarthy. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Meh, not really tbh. This was Mahomes in his second offseason (first as the starter). 

New Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes has seven INTs in six practices

It was a teaching moment for Mahomes and a mistake he might not make again. But it's not the only mistake he has made in camp. He threw two other interceptions Wednesday and has seven in six camp practices. Six of the picks have come during the three practice sessions in pads, when play is most competitive.

"He had a few hiccups today," offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy said. "But that's a part of the process. When you're young you need those hiccups because they become valuable lessons. ... Would we like for him to be perfect? Yes. We'd like for him to have the highest quarterback rating ever. ... He just needs to be poised under pressure."

But dealing with interceptions is something new for the Chiefs, who had the conservative Alex Smith as their quarterback for the last five seasons. Smith threw just five picks last season in 505 pass attempts.

Mahomes made another error Wednesday, once calling the wrong play in the huddle. As a result, his receivers were running routes he wasn't expecting and he threw an interception.

That's another mistake Smith rarely made, if ever.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24255909/kansas-city-chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes-plagued-mistakes

Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes has been a mistake-filled mess during camp

https://sportsnaut.com/chiefs-patrick-mahomes-has-been-a-mistake-filled-mess-during-camp/amp/

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

From what I remember, Mahomes was told to push it to the limit in practice and make a bunch of risky throws to see what he could and couldn't get away with. Andy Reid's goal was to shift the Chiefs away from Alex Smith's conservative ball control style to an aggressive down the field playmaking offense.

Edited by Warhead36

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Daniels is mechanically very clean and sound. And his release is outstanding.

Which is definitely very good, but also shouldn't be overly surprising for a 5 year starter. That's why I said I think the Pats went with the upside angle. Maye is certainly less refined in his footwork and mechanics than Daniels, but he was also only a starter for 2 years and had two different OCs who also had different ways they wanted his footwork to be. So I think it's unsurprising that he's less refined. So the Pats went with traits and upside, sort of like the Bills with Allen.

I guess time will tell if they were right.

And yeah I remember reading reports about Mahomes as well as Allen being pretty bad in camp. Which is another reason I mostly don't give a **** about camp other than just getting to see new guys playing as entertainment something to do in the offseason. .

• Like 1