Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

18 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Spot on. I just listened to Matt Harmon & Andy Behrens (Yahoo) discuss that very thing. They listed him as someone in serious need of a reboot career wise. They like the pieces he has to work with especially heaping praise on B Rob and Terry, but they're legitimately concerned about Kliff's role and ability to be successful with his style. 

There’s reason to be skeptical about any of the coaching hires, but Kingsbury, fair or not, will be judged mostly by how Jaden does. Kingsbury has his weaknesses and red flags, but his work with young mobile QBs is considered one of his strengths so I am optimistic. I think peters got this one right too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm still confused.  People are referencing Quinn, what he did in Dallas and how his defense could do that again in Washington. Only he is not the Defensive Coordinator he is the Head Coach and with that comes a lot of responsibility outside of the defense. He is not sitting in a room game planning or is he?   Are we even going to run his defense?  

That's a fair question and now I realize I don't even know who would call the defensive plays.

Just now, woodpecker said:

I think peters got this one right too.

I hope so and thus far, for me anyway, he has been impressive with his actions, but the questions surrounding Kliff are warranted IMO. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

That's a fair question and now I realize I don't even know who would call the defensive plays.

I believe he said it would be Whitt calling the plays. So I guess we don’t know for sure, but stands to reason he’ll be running something pretty close to what Quinn would do.

• Like 1

Lets hope Dotson gets back on track. He will be a difference maker otherwise our WR group will be well below league average IMO.

That softer throw of Daniels is what stuck out to me when comparing him to other QBs. You know what that may mean though, more traditional turn to run before they catch it drops.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Quinn said one of his errors with the Falcons was calling the defensive plays instead of delegating and focusing on the team and organization as a whole. He brought Whitt here specifically to run the D and call the plays, and Whitt is considered more than ready for it from everything I’ve read. Because of the stagnation of defensive coaching trees in comparison to offensive coaching trees (because offensive coaches get hired as HC’s so much more frequently, everyone moves up the ladder more frequently, and offensive staffs turn over more quickly) he’s way behind where he’d be with the same pedigree on the offensive side of the ball. We’ll see if they’re correct, but Quinn and Whitt both clearly believe he should’ve been a defensive playcaller years ago and that he’s ready to call a defense at least as well as Quinn can—and both seem to believe he could be on a HC track eventually as well. His introductory press conference sold me that he has the personality and understanding of culture, we’ll see about the rest. So on that front, I’m not worried about Quinn not calling the plays. I think he’s got the right man and the right assistants on that side of the ball to supplement their experience. Hell, they seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about it. 

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

People make all kinds of excuses for young players, but the ballers typically play well from the start and the vets acknowledge it. Happened with Terry, happened with Sean Taylor etc. Looks like it’s happening with Jayden. We might finally have a QB! 

• Like 12
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

People make all kinds of excuses for young players, but the ballers typically play well from the start and the vets acknowledge it. Happened with Terry, happened with Sean Taylor etc. Looks like it’s happening with Jayden. We might finally have a QB! 

Tried to tell you! Jump on in, the water is fine! 😆 It is still very,very early I know and he hasn't proved anything at this level (yet), but it's all there for him to be elite. We have some fun years ahead of us. :cheers:

Also, I just saw an article that Lamar is shedding some weight to be more like Jayden...😆

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40198621/ravens-lamar-jackson-drops-weight-effort-more-agile

Down to 205!

Edited by BayouBrave86
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

I thought you were tired of being wrong.

🤣

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Agree. The early signs look great. If nothing else, he certainly appears very driven to succeed. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t expect him to trot out the exact same defense he had in Dallas, but he did bring Whitt with him because they share the same vision for what defense looks like.  Beyond that, they’ve added talent.  There are things to be skeptical about with the 2024 team, but defense shouldn’t be one of them.  It’s hard to go anywhere but up from where they were.  I mean the hallmark of JDR’s defense was guys running around confused.  I highly doubt you will see that this season.

As I said I totally agree that the defense will be better.  My confusion comes from posters who keep referencing Quinn's defense when Joe Whitt is the defensive coordinator so it's his defense and he will be the one to make this unit better.  And while I agree it will be much better I can't "not worry about" a defense that will start BSJ and Forbes and without a dominate pass rusher to protect them. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Yep I've always subscribed to the theory that the great players are pretty much good right away and its obvious and then only get better. Nobody sucks for 2-3 years and then suddenly becomes an All Pro.

I think we got a dude in Daniels. He has the combination of talent, drive, and intellect. It really is gonna come down to our coaches and of course his body type holding up.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep I've always subscribed to the theory that the great players are pretty much good right away and its obvious and then only get better. Nobody sucks for 2-3 years and then suddenly becomes an All Pro.

I think we got a dude in Daniels. He has the combination of talent, drive, and intellect. It really is gonna come down to our coaches and of course his body type holding up.

Late breakouts happen all of the time, especially with QBs.  It's more common than the reverse.  The best QB ever didn't make his first All Pro team until he was 28.  He was considered just a game manager for a dynasty caliber team until he was 30 and very suddenly emerged as the GOAT.  Most QBs don't get genuinely good until their late 20s.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Late breakouts happen all of the time, especially with QBs.  It's more common than the reverse.  The best QB ever didn't make his first All Pro team until he was 28.  He was considered just a game manager for a dynasty caliber team until he was 30 and very suddenly emerged as the GOAT.  Most QBs don't get genuinely good until their late 20s.

He's no all-pro, but Geno Smith is an excellent example of your point.

The all-time example is Rich Gannon.  Dude won an MVP after being a basic backup for years.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

He's no all-pro, but Geno Smith is an excellent example of your point.

The all-time example is Rich Gannon.  Dude won an MVP after being a basic backup for years.

Yep.  Steve Young is another example.  He went from bust to back up to MVP at 31.  Drew Brees was considered a bust until his fourth season, and then he eventually became an All Pro in his sixth season after changing teams.  Steve McNair was pretty ho-hum until he was 29/30 years old and won a co-MVP with Peyton Manning.  Then there are guys like Trent Green and Kurt Warner who didn't even make it into the NFL until their late 20s, but then end up being very successful.

It takes a lot of different factors coming together for QBs to break out.  It just takes a while for the lightbulb to come on for most of them, and they need to be in the right situation when it happens to take advantage.  The light bulb didn't turn on for Jayden at the college level until his fourth or fifth year.   For most QBs at the NFL level, the sweet spot for that light bulb moment has historically been around age 27-28.  Sometimes later, rarely before.  It takes a long time just to see all of the NFL coverages and pressures and ingrain the reads for them, much less master your skills and approach to being a pro.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't disagree with the main thrust of your post but I take issue with the Brady specific part. The belief he was a game manager was clearly a mistaken one at the time. Think about who he had at receiver, even during the first SB run.  And the fact that the Pats were likely on way to a losing or early playoff exit with Bledsoe at the helm should have clued people in at the beginning of who Brady was.

When they finally got him a Moss-level talent, his numbers took off. When they won the SB in 2004, he was still throwing to Branch and Givens.  They had Dillon on the ground so that was huge, of course, but when Bledsoe got hurt, there was no sense that "oh there goes our SB season" in New England.  But when I watched them in 2001, not only was I just a couple years from watching him do the same thing at Michigan, but it seemed pretty clear to me that without him they aren't winning the championship that year, good-to-great defense or no.

What Brady shows is more that your numbers overall, especially if hemmed in by talent/system, are less important than how you deliver in the most important moments, as well as "good" level consistency in the rest of your play.

Edited by Ghost of

15 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

when Bledsoe got hurt, there was no sense that "oh there goes our SB season" in New England. 

The Patriots were 0-1 coming off a 5-11 season when Bledsoe got hurt.  I am not a Patriots fan, but as a NFL fan, I was like there goes any chance of NE making the playoffs.  The Patriots were going to be better regardless because Belichick was starting to get that defense really good, but I don't think without Brady playing well, they win 3 out of 4 Super Bowls between 2001 and 2004.  That said in those early years, the Patriots focused on the run game and defense so that Brady didn't have a lot of pressure on him.  So in that sense he was a game manager, but he was immediatley a very good good manager.

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, philibusters said:

The Patriots were 0-1 coming off a 5-11 season when Bledsoe got hurt.  I am not a Patriots fan, but as a NFL fan, I was like there goes any chance of NE making the playoffs.  The Patriots were going to be better regardless because Belichick was starting to get that defense really good, but I don't think without Brady playing well, they win 3 out of 4 Super Bowls between 2001 and 2004.  That said in those early years, the Patriots focused on the run game and defense so that Brady didn't have a lot of pressure on him.  So in that sense he was a game manager, but he was immediatley a very good good manager.

I think it's somewhere in the middle. Brady wasn't playing hero ball but he also wasn't just dumping it off to the RB for a four-yard gain. He started carving up defenses with the precision underneath stuff right away, as I recall. Pretty much like his idol Joe Montana. That's what changed--Bledsoe had the big arm but not the best skill set for what the team around him was built for.