Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

Posted (edited)

So I watched QB's all year, mainly Caleb Williams and Drake Maye in prep for Ron RIvera's last year being a clown show (which it was). I even came on this forum and got roasted for saying I think Drake Maye was anointed too early and most people are coasting off his 2022 projections. I even pointed out that most QB's who trend down in college rarely work out when they finally get to the NFL. Ultimately I think Drake Maye is a good prospect and hope he can do well in NE. However I saw this QB we drafted Jayden Daniels make huge strides all season, and improve significantly.

I saw someone with an amazing deep ball, accuracy and a raw athleticism not often seen in this polished a passer. Then I heard stories about his work effort and how he has a tendency to take coaching well. Then after watching the tape I saw a quick release, great footwork, and a guy who scans the field fairly quick. Some amazing mechanics really. I'm actually more excited for Jayden then I was a few months back. I see a pocket passer who forces defense to account for his speed and ability to get to the outside. Barring injury which he has no history of, I don't see many flaws in his game. Even the sack to pressure ratio's in the tapes I watched showed that a lot of times there was no one open on the side of the field he was moving towards. I think his sack to pressure ratio number were indicative of him relying on his run ability to bail him out, and waiting to long to run or get rid of the ball out. Because usually when he took off there was a positive gain but often as well he gave the defenders time to contain his rush lanes. 

I also see that yes he took a lot of bad hits, but while watching his tape there were also many times I thought he should've slid only for him to keep running and often picking up another 10-20 yards. Now these are big issues, and in the NFL they will need to be fixed. However I feel our coaches will have that worked out and we have a QB who can pick up the coaching relatively easily. 

I'm just glad that a lot more people are coming around to this pick who were rooting for someone else to be picked, and hope that I'm right about everything I think is there in his game. 

Edited by frontline205
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

What do you think "tenure" means?

Just the general direction of the conversation regarding him. My apologies. I meant "tenor." There were a number of people hammering him, and I did not think he deserved it. He was my choice at #2. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, illone said:

Brissett is objectively more reliable and consistent than Mariota. 

Not sure by a wide enough margin to warrant the extra $2 million guaranteed, though. 

Maybe JB thinks he has a better chance to play by going back to Ne?

JB had, by all accounts, a pretty good season with the Browns in 2022 and they still didn’t win games.  

Is he maybe a better backup than Mariotta?  Maybe? Probably.  

Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Probably not.

You have to get insanely lucky to win with a backup.   Eagles with Foles, last year Browns with Flacco, a million years ago 49ers with Young. There are others but it’s very sporadic.  Unless the backup is the intended starter and just waiting, like Big Ben.

Brady, of course, is always the exception which proves the rule.  

If you don’t get that level of luck, it really doesn’t matter, you’re not winning much.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Come on how many first round QB's fizzled.  A lot. 

Let's see what happens with Milton. He has good accuracy down field. He has had injuries, but I just think he is going to surprise some people. I do. 

Are you saying that a 3rd overall pick is a bust after 2 rookie minicamp practices?

29 minutes ago, frontline205 said:

So I watched QB's all year, mainly Caleb Williams and Drake Maye in prep for Ron RIvera's last year being a clown show (which it was). I even came on this forum and got roasted for saying I think Drake Maye was anointed too early and most people are coasting off his 2022 projections. I even pointed out that most QB's who trend down in college rarely work out when they finally get to the NFL. Ultimately I think Drake Maye is a good prospect and hope he can do well in NE. However I saw this QB we drafted Jayden Daniels make huge strides all season, and improve significantly.

I saw someone with an amazing deep ball, accuracy and a raw athleticism not often seen in this polished a passer. Then I heard stories about his work effort and how he has a tendency to take coaching well. Then after watching the tape I saw a quick release, great footwork, and a guy who scans the field fairly quick. Some amazing mechanics really. I'm actually more excited for Jayden then I was a few months back. I see a pocket passer who forces defense to account for his speed and ability to get to the outside. Barring injury which he has no history of, I don't see many flaws in his game. Even the sack to pressure ratio's in the tapes I watched showed that a lot of times there was no one open on the side of the field he was moving towards. I think his sack to pressure ratio number were indicative of him relying on his run ability to bail him out, and waiting to long to run or get rid of the ball out. Because usually when he took off there was a positive gain but often as well he gave the defenders time to contain his rush lanes. 

I also see that yes he took a lot of bad hits, but while watching his tape there were also many times I thought he should've slid only for him to keep running and often picking up another 10-20 yards. Now these are big issues, and in the NFL they will need to be fixed. However I feel our coaches will have that worked out and we have a QB who can pick up the coaching relatively easily. 

I'm just glad that a lot more people are coming around to this pick who were rooting for someone else to be picked, and hope that I'm right about everything I think is there in his game. 

Dude, paragraphs. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, mistertim said:

Are you saying that a 3rd overall pick is a bust after 2 rookie minicamp practices?

No, I am not saying that at all. I just think Milton is underrated. He has had an injury history, and that has hurt him. He has a great arm, can extend plays, elude pressure, etc. A good dual-threat QB. He is underrated is my main point.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

No, I am not saying that at all. I just think Milton is underrated. He has had an injury history, and that has hurt him. He has a great arm, can extend plays, elude pressure, etc. A good dual-threat QB. He is underrated is my main point.  

I dunno. I think he was drafted around where he should have been. I watched several Vols games this season (my father is an alum and huge Vols fan) and I was never really impressed with him outside of being a big dude and having a howitzer attached to his shoulder. But to each their own.

I think the idea of Milton being the backup and Maye being 3rd string is pretty dumb though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By most accounts, Maye was thought to be pretty raw in some areas and might benefit from some time watching. But he had a great "measurables."

So then the Pats take a guy who is more raw has even more impressive measurables. 

Two young qbs not doing the little things right, but one of them is throwing the ball further and harder and is bigger... it's a good way to get the beat guys rumbling and writing clickbait and even a better way to destroy Maye's confidence.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, skinsmania123 said:

Sorry but I have to disagree. My girlfriiend is a huge Vols fan so we watched every play of every game. And when he came in his one weapon is a massive arm and he can make college players miss. But he has no touch and very little accuracy or consistency while we are at it. He missed a lot of wide open guys. He can runsome but NFL players will eat him up. 

Now if someone can get him to throw with some touch and greatly improve his consistency and accuracy then he will be great. Dude is a phyisical freak. I would have not minded Washington take a 6th or 7th rd flyer on him. That arm can be dazzeling. But if anything he was probably overdrafted. But Ok, 5th rd not expected to do too much. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Sorry but I have to disagree. My girlfriiend is a huge Vols fan so we watched every play of every game. And when he came in his one weapon is a massive arm and he can make college players miss. But he has no touch and very little accuracy or consistency while we are at it. He missed a lot of wide open guys. He can runsome but NFL players will eat him up. 

Now if someone can get him to throw with some touch and greatly improve his consistency and accuracy then he will be great. Dude is a phyisical freak. I would have not minded Washington take a 6th or 7th rd flyer on him. That arm can be dazzeling. But if anything he was probably overdrafted. But Ok, 5th rd not expected to do too much. 

Interesting. I appreciate you taking the time to share that. I have watched him a number of times and thought he had a lot of potential.  He has a huge arm.  I agree with you about the "touch" issue, it has been bought up numerous times in scouting reports, and yes, I do think he could be worked with on that.  

I guess we will see how he pans out. I just think there is so much work with there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You have to get insanely lucky to win with a backup.   Eagles with Foles, last year Browns with Flacco, a million years ago 49ers with Young. There are others but it’s very sporadic.  

You mistakenly left out TH who went 12-13-1 in Washington. I got you covered. 

My guess is Maye will begin the season as the backup and take over around late October/early November after the Pats start like 2-8 and the spoiled Boston fans scream to put the kid in.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I think the idea of Milton being the backup and Maye being 3rd string is pretty dumb though. 

Hey don't hold back man, say how you really feel.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Hey don't hold back man, say how you really feel.

Everyone here knows that I am a sublime example of restraint and judiciousness in all of my posts. 

• Haha 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

You mistakenly left out TH who went 12-13-1 in Washington. I got you covered. 

And he beat Tom Brady.  We know, we know. 

Has he been released yet after Atlanta signed a $100m QB and then drafted another st 8?

If he’s not out of the league at the end of training camp I’ll be shocked.  

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Has he been released yet after Atlanta signed a $100m QB and then drafted another st 8?

Atlanta will carry 3 QBs with Penix being QB3 is what will likely happen. No reason to get rid of TH. He is in the 2nd yr of a 2 yr contract. And he has already earned the roster bonus for 2024 by being on the team the 5th day of the season. He is cheap insurance to keep from having to throw thier rookie out there if he is not ready. Only gets them $1.2M cap savings if they cut him. 

If the plan was for Penix to sit then he should sit. Still a dumb as **** move by Atlanta. Glad we didn't so some lame garbage like that. Either sign Cousins or draft Penix, don't do both. I live in Atlanta and it's hilarious watching the fans go through mental gynastics to convince them selves it was a good plan  Especially right after the pick they wanted the entire staff gone!! LOLOLOL! Sounded like the ES Gameday thread! 

@skinsmarydu and I went to the game here last year. Good game. One of our few wins! Not sure when, but Atlanta comes to Washington this year.  I may just have to make the trek up there this year. Would be a good game to see and the right time to show my support for the team after getting rid of mini me. LOL  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

All in fun...

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Probably not.

Definitely not.

If MM is playing then this team is not playing for anything meaningful other than higher draft pick.

Same thing w Brissett. 

I could care less about the backup either way as in a previous post I think this clears the deck for a "QB Controversy-less" season. NOBODY is going to be banging a table to get MM in the game, that's for sure 😂

2 hours ago, illone said:

NOBODY is going to be banging a table to get MM in the game, that's for sure 

never underestimate ES/this fanbase.  There will be at least 1.  🤦‍♂️ 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

never underestimate ES/this fanbase.  There will be at least 1.  🤦‍♂️ 

Probably some Oregon alumnus. 

You are right, always at least one. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Hooper said:

By most accounts, Maye was thought to be pretty raw in some areas and might benefit from some time watching. But he had a great "measurables."

So then the Pats take a guy who is more raw has even more impressive measurables. 

Two young qbs not doing the little things right, but one of them is throwing the ball further and harder and is bigger... it's a good way to get the beat guys rumbling and writing clickbait and even a better way to destroy Maye's confidence.

Coming from a dude who really liked Maye a lot -- IMO Maye's arm strength was overplayed.  It's very good IMO but not special.   It's not Herbert level.  Allen level or even IMO Wentz level.

Milton on the other hand while is raw as heck is Josh Allen level or close enough.  So I feel a bit bad for Maye on that count.  Maye purely as for arm talent is not going to look special on that front throwing back to back with Milton especially.

IMO Maye's arm strength is overhyped by some of his bigger fans.  And I consider myself one of his bigger fans but am not on board with him having elite arm strength.  IMO Maye's superpower isn't arm strength but ability to layer throws on all levels of the field.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I preferred Maye to Daniels pre-draft.  I won’t be crushed if he ends up playing well, as long as JD is better.  But yeah - I have no love for New England and they don’t deserve another great QB, so I’d prefer he sucks.  🤣

I know some root for the players they liked in the draft even when they go elsewhere.  i am petty, I tend to root against them if they don't come here.  :ols:

As for Maye, if I had to go worse case scenario, I'd say Carson Wentz.  Not the great version of Wentz as to early Philly.  Not the awful version of him here.  But sort of the mixed version of him in Indy.

Wentz had a very good arm, not elite but very good.  Inconsistent mechanics.  Runs better than you'd expect for his size.  When he's on he's great, when off he's really off.  There was some fo that for Maye last year in college.

The other thing about Maye that follows a bit of Wentz is can he play big in big moments?  Especially later in his career, Wentz folded under the spotlight.  Some of that with Maye exists reputation wise from last season.

Not saying Maye goes on this path.  I liked him as a prospect.  But for all these guys even Caleb, worse case scenarios are viable until they put them to rest.'

19 hours ago, redskinss said:

I'm not talking about 2 or 3 years from now I'm taking about this year. 

If they put maye at 3rd string behind a 6th rounder who's also a rookie they'll be lambasted for taking maye 3rd overall.

3rd overall picks don't fizzle out in their first training camp and even if Milton looks better than maye (which I doubt will be the case) you don't want to send the message that you wasted your first round pick while possibly shattering the confidence of the guy you drafted to be your future before you've even given him a chance.

There's a big difference between a late first rounder sitting behind a future hall of famer like rodgers/love versus a top 3 pick sitting behind a career backup/average starter and a 6th round rookie.

Throwing against air, is tailor made for Milton.  I bet the enthusiasm dampens quick for him once they put on pads and he has to display accuracy against real fronts.

Having said that, I did throw out predraft that Milton would be a fun get as a backup.  You don't find backups that often who are that level talented.  I'd still bet heavier that he ends up a bust than a success.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4