Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I don’t understand this mentality. What high end OT did you guys want us to take?

I think if you reread my post you'll find that we actually are in accord. (That's my fault as I could have done a better job of explaining my position.)

Basically, my intention was to admit that even though I, and others in the forum, wanted a trade back into the first for an OT, Peters, who clearly knows more than I do (can't speak for anyone else) didn't think the available tackles were worth trading up for and instead tried to acquire a wide receiver.

I wanted to weigh in on the OT thing.

I initially thought there was a lot of top end Tackle talent in this class, but as I read scouting reports it seemed there were only 2 'sign to they retire elite" guys in the first, there were sure fire starters but not all of them projected as Left Tackle.  Patrick Paul did Project as a LT, but I never sensed he was elite.  A couple of these guys read as 'swing tackles' which to me means they can sub in if the starters get hurt.  

Several of the OT Projected as Guard, and the TCU guy we took actually did play and look okay at tims at Tackle.  He seems to have the reach for it.

My main disappointment was the # of elite centers in this class.  Could have had the understudy for Biadiche on this team and not have to worry if he booms or busts.

But, given the level of D talent that leaked into the 2nd, it threw off a lot of team's boards I'm sure.

It was very strange to not see more edge rushers and corners go given how deep the talent pool was on offense in general this year.

There is one thing I'll add:

We want to fill all the wholes, but if you get 5 starters out of 10 picks, vs 7 starters out of ten picks, what does that mean long term?  7 guys who may want top tier deals at first new contract, and maybe, just maybe we can't hold them. W ehave to build toward that second contract, not just impact players now.  For that reason, it might make sense to wait on a top flight Corner/LT till next year and see what we have with better coaching , communication and scheme.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

In a lot of ways this is kind of ideal because it gives us long term help that isn't going to effect the bottom line too much in '24 (I don't see Sinnott, or Newton or Coleman or McCaffrey starting, Newton and Coleman will probably see a good chunk of snaps though), and for me, it's important that this team only win 4-6 games this year, and the nice FA haul meant w/a '24 steelers level draft, we'd potentially move towards 6-8 wins, I now don't see that happening. I think we've only pulled 1 immediate starter from this draft, maybe 2 if you include the DB who will be on the field a ton as a nickel eventually. 

For now, the O/U on the win total is 6.5. The betting for now is predicting 7 wins (-130 on the over). I look at this draft, and the free agent hault. Its pretty clear we aren't fixing the OL this year (it was nigh on impossible so not a criticism, that looked like a 2 year project), we aren't fixing edge, LB is improved but not great, the secondary may be improved, Forbes can't be that bad again though losing Curl sucks. The WR group is not improved, RB is not improved, QB is. For me that's a net: meh. Not a criticism, they are plugging holes, and the draft looks like a draft a team does when its looking to '25 and '26 more than '24. Fine w/me. I see 4-6 wins still, ceiling of 7, that should slot us 3-13, I would project a middle of 5-6 wins, which is more like 5th-12th zone. I don't much about '25 other than that the QB's stink, RB's are a bit better, WR's are worse, not sure on TE, don't know the rest. Our needs next year look like OL, Edge, LB, WR, RB, maybe DB, we'll see.

Went through the over unders just now, the teams with lower O/U's are the titans, giants, patriots, panthers, and broncos. So we're projected by Vegas, for now, to pick 6 in '25. 

2 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cringed at DG's first appearance.  It was so over the top it was like he was a little drunk or something.  

he hasn't been representing the team for a while.  He said he was back because if the Snyder admin had asked him to come up and announce a pick, he would have said no

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Still can’t get over allowing a perennial NFC and NFL powerhouse yet alone a Division rival move up 10 spots and grab a stud in DeJean who regardless of his being white and many of the nay sayers saying he’ll move back to safety is a very good player, in fact would have been a great draft pick for us, also the funny thing is if in any of our past drafts this was done ppl would be revolting… but the love for AP is blinding I guess, I think the jury is still out….

There are precious few situations where it would be worth worrying about what your opponent is gonna do with the pick you trade.  It just doesn't make a ton of sense most of the time.... if it's best for you, don't worry about the other team. 

The only caveat may be with a QB - I can maybe see the logic of avoiding division rivals when you trade and their is a stud QB available.

I understand the emotion of it.... but hit rates / outcomes don't support that take IMO

• Like 1

My thoughts on best drafts so far:

1) Cardinals. They added impact players everywhere on their roster. Maybe one of the best drafts I have ever seen actually.

MHJ---No write up needed. Generational WR talent

Darius Robinson--Would have loved him at 36. A beast

Max Melton. A steal at 43

Trey Benson---RB #2 for me. 

Isaiah Adams--solid depth guard

Tip Reiman--Love his story. And the guy can play. Birds are in fact real man. 

Elijah Jones--Love him as a prospect. Needs to bulk up. But very good instincts.

2) Steelers. They took some major injury risks here. But there is no denying the talent they added to their roster. 

Fautanu---Was out of my 1st round draft board because of a knee issue. But he can play

Zach Frazier--Was my #1 Center in the draft. And a steal at 51

Roman Wilson-- Probably the most underrated WR in this draft. He caught EVERYTHING thrown his way. 

Payton Wilson---My #1 LB in the draft. Injury history is horrifying for sure. But the guy is a guided missile.

3) Us. We have had a great draft so far

4) Bears. Caleb, Rome and Kiran....All incredibly solid picks.

5) Saints.  Fuaga and Kool-Aid. Both immediate impact players imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Because he wasn’t that good. I don’t think he’s dropping. I think we’re coming into the range he should have been selected. Great flashes, but the play to play left something to be desired.

I never thought Trotter had some of the elite skills of Wilson and Cooper, neither of which btw was a 1st rounder. The LB position has been grossly devalued like RB in recent drafts.  

I think he can be a great guy in the middle, but I don't know if he's a better fit in a 3-4 or our scheme, and some think Cedrig Gray may have better instincts.

I expect we take a rotational edge rusher in the 5th, depending on who is available, if not we roll or sign someone off the street, its a position I think patience can be given on it given what they did in FA.

Justin Simmons is still out there too right?

32 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

We'll see. I'm obviously not really high on the pick, and honestly I'm not really excited about the draft so far to be honest.

The thing that has me is the lack of moves at OT. Honestly, I think they new they were going to take Daniels @ 2 for quite some time. But not doing anything to solidify both T spots seems like really bad planning. We have cap space, and didn't use it. I get going BPA in the draft, but now you have a young QB that is going to get killed. I don't like that plan.

I think I heard the FO made efforts to move back into the 1st round to get an OT.  The efforts were justified if unsuccessful, as the OTs went quickly.  How hard did they try?  We may never know.

Hopefully the coaching staff will show flexibility in game plans and realize we don't have Trent Williams at LT.  Otherwise I agree, our new QB will be in trouble.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Just put all three of them out there.

What is the other team gonna do?  Stop them!?  pfffft lol  Get that ball out buddy or you gonna have a 300 pound fat man rolling on top of you.

"Oh look at me, I'm Jalen Hurts I can bench press 275 ohhh lookitme"

Bench this you filthy casual.

With our relative weakness at DE I can see Jon Allen sliding out a bit to play some DE in base. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Mathis will struggle to make the 53 IMO. 

Agree. He’s shown nothing positive on the field, he’s been hurt, and was drafted by previous regime. He needs to flash in camp/preseason or I think he gets cut.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

My thoughts on best drafts so far:

1) Cardinals. They added impact players everywhere on their roster. Maybe one of the best drafts I have ever seen actually.

MHJ---No write up needed. Generational WR talent

Darius Robinson--Would have loved him at 36. A beast

Max Melton. A steal at 43

Trey Benson---RB #2 for me. 

Isaiah Adams--solid depth guard

Tip Reiman--Love his story. And the guy can play. Birds are in fact real man. 

Elijah Jones--Love him as a prospect. Needs to bulk up. But very good instincts.

2) Steelers. They took some major injury risks here. But there is no denying the talent they added to their roster. 

Fautanu---Was out of my 1st round draft board because of a knee issue. But he can play

Zach Frazier--Was my #1 Center in the draft. And a steal at 51

Roman Wilson-- Probably the most underrated WR in this draft. He caught EVERYTHING thrown his way. 

Payton Wilson---My #1 LB in the draft. Injury history is horrifying for sure. But the guy is a guided missile.

3) Us. We have had a great draft so far

4) Bears. Caleb, Rome and Kiran....All incredibly solid picks.

5) Saints.  Fuaga and Kool-Aid. Both immediate impact players imo. 

I'd put Steelers above it.

They've been needing another WR, and have had an aging OL for several years.  Then they added one of the most instinctual LBs into that scheme?  They are legit scarry, and don't sleap on Fautanu that guy is a mauler.

Bears have a chemistry problem, they may have good picks but will it jell, same with Cardinals.  I think Steelers may also have issues in that regard.  

The team I think is going under the Radar actually is the Giants.  But least The packers kept Cooper from going to a NFC E foe.. that was my nightmare since I saw his first game, him and Micah parsons on the same side.

• Like 1

Just now, Brixtion_skin said:

I think I heard the FO made efforts to move back into the 1st round to get an OT.  The efforts were justified if unsuccessful, as the OTs went quickly.  How hard did they try?  We may never know.

Hopefully the coaching staff will show flexibility in game plans and realize we don't have Trent Williams at LT.  Otherwise I agree, our new QB will be in trouble.

I think most of us knew our QB was going to be in trouble when the season ended. No matter who the GM/HC were. Our OL was abysmal. There is no way to fix that in an off-season in any meaningful way, especially when you are taking a QB early in the first round. 

Just the way things fell. 

Our OL issues fall on Rivera’s feet. The OL is already “better” but that’s not saying much. But let’s see what happens. 

And while I didn’t agree with the sentiment, this is the reason many advocated moving back from 2. Trade back, grab a QB that’s left on the board and get OT help. That was the logic.

But when you can swing on a potential superstar QB, you have to swing. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, MartinC said:

With our relative weakness at DE I can see Jon Allen sliding out a bit to play some DE in base. 

Newton also played some snaps out wide. 

It’s going to be a fun “problem” figuring out how to rotate/scheme these guys but I love the pick. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brixtion_skin said:

Well if what one of the beat guys said on the Sheehan Hoffman live cast last night is true, they tried to get back into the teens, (and I simulated this several times), but the run on OT, and QB reduced who we could trade with a LOT, and then when dallas pulled its move.  that seems to have made things up.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

sainstril 5’9 180.

im butthurt over giving up Cooper to the Eagles. 

The sad thing is that Cooper was ranked higher than Newton in the ESPN top 200. So we had a chance at a BPA for need at 36. Makes no sense. Sinistril was slated at 75 and Coleman at 105. Hope the FO had the eye of the tiger for talent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

The sad thing is that Cooper was ranked higher than Newton in the ESPN top 200. So we had a chance at a BPA for need at 36. Makes no sense. Sinistril was slated at 75 and Coleman at 105. Hope the FO had the eye of the tiger for talent.

I think people are getting too hung up on the rankings of the Corner prospects.

There was likely only 2 shut down Corners available in the first, the rest were likely good starters, but not necessarily that much of a game changer.  I think that's why we didn't go with Dejean even though he did seem to pop some.

And the three guys in the first all got taken at picks 22-30.

If these guys were the brow beaters everyone said they were given how much the rules have changed recently you'd think at least one gets in the top 15.

I keep thinking about interviews of Joe Whitt, and Dan Quinn, and they want aggressive, physical play makers, and while some of these guys contest catches, I didn't see high pick counts from many of the corners taken before Mike at Slot.  Maybe I'm misreading that? Its possible, but given many of this years crop are shorter, and slower that plays a factor also I think.

Edited by Veretax

7 minutes ago, MrJL said:

he hasn't been representing the team for a while.  He said he was back because if the Snyder admin had asked him to come up and announce a pick, he would have said no

I would love for Monte Coleman to come back too.

Met him back in the day at a business function. A real gentleman and by all accounts a stand up guy.

Snyder rubbed him the wrong way and he vowed never to be part of the team as long as he was around.

• Like 1

I can only speak for myself, but: I don't have blind trust or faith in any one person or thing in this world, but if I'm betting on who to trust making NFL draft picks and decisions on players, it's the guy with 20+ years NFL experience in a FO and scouting over a random ES poster. Not a difficult parse there. 

It's one of the few things in life I can't control but where optimism is completely warranted. Nothing has happened on the field with these rookies, I'll wait to form judgments when I see it. Until then, bravo AP! 

• Like 1

My top 10 players left:

Jaylen Wright:  Kind of shocked he is still there. Incredible athleticism. size and playmaking ability.

Jeremiah Trotter Jr:  I am higher on him than most apparently. He can get out of position at times. And other times he is explosive. Not sure he loves the game.

Ja'tavion Sanders:  I was not high on him as a day two guy. But I think the value is really good now. 

Kris Abrams-Draine: Size is making him fall. He can play though

Austin Booker: He should have gone back to school. Raw edge prospect. But can play

Malik Washington: Falling due to competition imo. 

Sedrick Van Pran:  His tape is up and down. More ups than downs though

Gabriel Murphy: Very good edge player. Older prospect though.

Tez Walker: Way too many drops. But can get open

Troy Franklin: Cant beat press man. But a deep threat if he gets clear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the disconnect between some of us here and Peters is that we're focusing on roster holes, and he's focused on finding impact players.

There's obviously more to it, but that looks like his draft philosophy. The theory being that impact players deliver those handful of game-changing plays, which the roster fillers won't. He'll just make do at the open positions.

It's scary to come out of the draft with continuing questions, but it makes sense.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Mathis will struggle to make the 53 IMO. 

Gotta believe you're right when we're picking a DT in round 2 in a draft where we have several holes to fill. Doesn't bode well for Mathis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sinews said:

I can only speak for myself, but: I don't have blind trust or faith in any one person or thing in this world, but if I'm betting on who to trust making NFL draft picks and decisions on players, it's the guy with 20+ years NFL experience in a FO and scouting over a random ES poster. Not a difficult parse there. 

It's one of the few things in life I can't control but where optimism is completely warranted. Nothing has happened on the field with these rookies, I'll wait to form judgments when I see it. Until then, bravo AP! 

Yet, ES always has posters who are right when GMs are wrong. Law of percentages and total number of possibilities. 

That isn’t saying anyone here is more qualified than Peters. 

But… sometimes people here are right. Whether it’s because we know **** or are lucky? That’s open to interpretation. But… 

And for what it’s worth… if you’re just going to back Peters moves without any real thought on your end, why come to a community forum to discuss? That’s what we’re doing here. Discussing. 

Saying “I trust Peters” is fine. But not everyone trusts his every move and that’s fine too.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1