Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

• CapsSkins changed the title to Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd
7 hours ago, illone said:

I admit I am a little surprised that this team keeps bring in WR, but maybe I shouldnt be…

Competition. All days in all ways. 

They do keep bringing in WR's, mostly semi bottom feeding hoping for hits.

They should not stop as the overall talent level at WR isn't that great.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

They do keep bringing in WR's, mostly semi bottom feeding hoping for hits.

They should not stop as the overall talent level at WR isn't that great.

They're banking a lot on Luke McCaffrey.  As of today, he's our WR3, and Dotson as the WR2 feels almost as speculative.  It's a WR room with some upside, but not a lot of bankability, which is a frustrating lack of progress from where we were when Dwayne Haskins was the QB in 2019.  Most teams do the opposite and try and bring in stud vet WRs when they are developing high draft pick QBs.  This is something we're probably going to have to do too, unless Dotson and McCaffrey are shockingly good.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Teams with young QBs don't usually go for the splash veteran star WR until year 3. See Bills with Diggs, Dolphins with Hill, Eagles with Brown and even Bears with Moore(though Fields flamed out) as a few examples. Those types of WRs don't go to teams unless they're confident in the QB, which means the QB needs a year or two to show he's got some game.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Thumb up 2

^this.... not to mention Aiyuk is nowhere near being the game changers those guys are. 

The FO has added a top shelf 3rd down RB, a quality veteran TE, a 2nd round TE, and a 3rd round WR. All those additions plus pro bowl Terry and former 1st round pick Dotson make for a solid supporting cast on paper. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, The Sean and Laron show said:

^this.... not to mention Aiyuk is nowhere near being the game changers those guys are. 

The FO has added a top shelf 3rd down RB, a quality veteran TE, a 2nd round TE, and a 3rd round WR. All those additions plus pro bowl Terry and former 1st round pick Dotson make for a solid supporting cast on paper. 

Yeah this year was about getting reliable targets for Daniels. Ekeler and Ertz as vets, but also guys like Sinnott and McCaffery in the draft. That and beefing up the defense so he won't have to throw the ball 40 times a game.

Next year we shore up the OL, and then in year 3 we go and get that big name WR. Imagine Jefferson not being happy playing with McCarthy and wanting out....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Sean and Laron show said:

Don't forget about Ekeler and Ertz

If Ertz can stay healthy (if) he is probably a 40-50 catch guy. I think/hope Sinnott can get to around the 30/40 catch mark as well. 

Ekler caught over 100 balls two seasons ago. I don't think he will be in that range but if he plays 17 games he's going to be in the 60+ range. Then add in BRob who can catch some balls as well on check downs and screens.

Lets say we have circa 400 completions next season - circa 180 of those will go through the RBs and TS. Maybe more. Terry will be in the 80 catch range. That still leaves around 140-150 balls that the balance of the WR room need to go get - plus the importance of them taking advantage of what are likely to be favorable coverage matchups as coverage slants towards Terry and Ekler. A lot of our explosive plays need to come from WR #2 and WR #3.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

They're banking a lot on Luke McCaffrey.  As of today, he's our WR3, and Dotson as the WR2 feels almost as speculative.  It's a WR room with some upside, but not a lot of bankability, which is a frustrating lack of progress from where we were when Dwayne Haskins was the QB in 2019.  Most teams do the opposite and try and bring in stud vet WRs when they are developing high draft pick QBs.  This is something we're probably going to have to do too, unless Dotson and McCaffrey are shockingly good.

Agreed and leads to thinking they will wait until teams roster cuts later in the year to bring in another legit receiver on a one year deal

• Like 1

I understand that this is not a 1 year rebuild and need to be patient, but if I feel that the offense would be formidable if we were to add another good receiver via trade. If Luke turns out to be good and Dotson finally lives up to his 1st round grade, the offense could be really good. That just seems like a lot to hope for.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mac8887 said:

I understand that this is not a 1 year rebuild and need to be patient, but if I feel that the offense would be formidable if we were to add another good receiver via trade. If Luke turns out to be good and Dotson finally lives up to his 1st round grade, the offense could be really good. That just seems like a lot to hope for.

I almost agree… but I’m too dubious of our tackle situation.  I do think the combo of coaching, scheme, play calling and Jayden’s legs will help manufacture some degree of competency on the line, but I question if it will be enough.  That’s broad strokes obviously, there’s more nuance of course (pro and con).

Edit:  with that said, I’m really excited to see how the team comes together and I think both sides of the ball might surprise some people.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Trade for a WR seems like a complete no brainer. 

I feel the opposite way. If you’re in the middle of a rebuild, it’s not a great idea to trade draft capital. 

Evaluate our WR room at the end of the season (and also Jayden) and make a more informed decision then. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I feel the opposite way. If you’re in the middle of a rebuild, it’s not a great idea to trade draft capital. 

Evaluate our WR room at the end of the season (and also Jayden) and make a more informed decision then. 

I really only like the idea of trading draft picks for players if we are truly only one to two players away from competing for a championship. Since we are not anywhere close to that, seems stupid to trade for a WR this year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Trade for a WR seems like a complete no brainer. 

Or wait for cut season and bring in someone to elevate the WR room and not burn those valuable picks. Either way I do hope they are able to add talent at receiver and OT

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

17 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

I really only like the idea of trading draft picks for players if we are truly only one to two players away from competing for a championship. Since we are not anywhere close to that, seems stupid to trade for a WR this year.

I’m on the fence.

Pros:

I’m not sold on our receivers.

Giving Jayden (or any young qb) better weapons to help his growth curve makes sense.

Whatever pick we trade probably wouldn’t produce anywhere near a guy like Aiyuk.

We have a rookie qb contract, so we can take advantage by spending elsewhere.

We have cap space now and for the future and (so far) don’t have many expensive contracts coming due soon.

Cons:

I like developing in-house

I like the idea of our staff evaluating the current guys (in their systems) and then making moves.

I just generally prefer hitting on a draft pick than bringing in a FA.

I like cheap options that can outperform their contracts.

Holding onto draft space so we can re-sign guys could really come in handy.  Whether that’s our 1 year guys (like Wagner, Ferrell, Fowler, Chinn), or a homegrown guys like Cosmi, etc.

There’s more, but yeah… I don’t know which way I’d go if it were my choice (thankfully it’s not).

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m on the fence.

Pros:

I’m not sold on our receivers.

Giving Jayden (or any young qb) better weapons to help his growth curve makes sense.

Whatever pick we trade probably wouldn’t produce anywhere near a guy like Aiyuk.

We have a rookie qb contract, so we can take advantage by spending elsewhere.

We have cap space now and for the future and (so far) don’t have many expensive contracts coming due soon.

Cons:

I like developing in-house

I like the idea of our staff evaluating the current guys (in their systems) and then making moves.

I just generally prefer hitting on a draft pick than bringing in a FA.

I like cheap options that can outperform their contracts.

Holding onto draft space so we can re-sign guys could really come in handy.  Whether that’s our 1 year guys (like Wagner, Ferrell, Fowler, Chinn), or a homegrown guys like Cosmi, etc.

There’s more, but yeah… I don’t know which way I’d go if it were my choice (thankfully it’s not).

I’d hate to give up draft capital but we can absorb the contract AND JD5 and him  have a prior relationship/friendship, AND our GM knows him. I think it’s a no brainer. That said, they said they aren’t trading him and I don’t think he holds out. But I would be offering something like a 3rd and 5th and if they don’t do it before the season and try to unload him before the deadline it’s dropping to much less.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

I’d hate to give up draft capital but we can absorb the contract AND JD5 and him  have a prior relationship/friendship, AND our GM knows him. I think it’s a no brainer. That said, they said they aren’t trading him and I don’t think he holds out. But I would be offering something like a 3rd and 5th and if they don’t do it before the season and try to unload him before the deadline it’s dropping to much less.

Would be silly to trade any draft picks for anyone at this point. Stay patient and build through the draft. We are 2-3 years away from competing. Teams like that should not trade draft picks for vets.

• Thumb down 1