Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd, Ahmed

CapsSkins

Love having another 3rd but would have thought we could get more for Sam than that.  I guess this tells us what the league, Peters and the new coaching staff think of him.  

Im starting to think they are going to stay at #2 and take a QB lol

Edited by Idaho fan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Decent trade.  24 picks forward from 4th to 3rd and 27 picks forward from 6th to 5th.

So much value this draft in the top 100 so I like it.

I was saying on the QB thread, I thought they had to move Sam just because he no longer fit into their plans.  They wanted a veteran, they got a veteran.  

Having Sam as a 3rd string QB was kindof a luxury.

But the value back in the trade?  I mean, it's not much.  We moved up ~25 picks in a couple rounds.  At that point in the draft, the "tiers" are so big, that's not a huge move-up. 

I think this might have been more of a "get what you can and don't get stuck" situation.  Because the compensation doesn't even net a new pick.  

I'm fine with it.  Wish we could have added a pick.  But I'll take essentially jumping up 2/3 of a round for 2 picks.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I think Sam getting traded is a somewhat notable indication that Maye is coming. Yes they were teammates before and supposed to be friends, but it would have been awkward even so.

The Seahawks didn't pay an insignificant amount to get him. I wonder if they see potential to upgrade on Geno? Best of luck to him when he isn't against us.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, CobraCommander said:

I will still be rooting for the kid even if he is a Seahawk now. He seems like a good egg.

Definitely one of the toughest QBs I've ever watched. 

Dude took a serious beating and never missed a game. 

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

That's a fine opinion, but if you are in the media, you have to actually engage and entertain.  He's not worth listening to if every interview is effectively the same conversation... it's just boring.

His take on the state of the team over the last chunk of time has been largely correct... but doesn't make for a good listen.

I understand; he doesn't deviate much from what he sees as the fundamental pillars for winning football games in the NFL. It may not always align with the current desires of some fans. Fortunately, there are plenty of commentators out there offering a wealth of shiny stats and analytics.

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Al is the absolute best "personality" in DC sports and it's not even close.

I've said for ages, there are 3 types of media jobs:

1. Reporter

2. Analyst

3. Opinion

Al is #1 in category 3.  

Doc has, at times, tried to be either an analyst or an opinion creator.  He's sucked at both.  He's a TERRIBLE analyst.  Even Joe Gibbs in Gibbs part II told him to "shut up and just go hit the nose" during a press conference.  Granted, it was half a joke.  But it was half Joe wanting nothing to do with dumb tough guy talk.

AI will not take any jobs. One of the effects of having a PhD in… | by  Pontus Wärnestål | Medium

This explains a lot. :P 

Haha, even better! My favorite duos discussing Washington football these days are Sheehan and Doc, Sheehan and Standig, and Paulsen and Hoffman.

You might literally explode if you listen to both Sheehan and Doc together lol 

11 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Looks like we net 118.8 points per 2024 chart, equivalent of pick #95 (low 3rd).

Edit: Fixing math, sorry.

Thanks for the post, Dah-Dee.  He was worth a 3rd round pick all the way!  Hope he does well except against us.  If Seattle builds a OL for him and he regains his confidence, he may do well.  He has a long way to go though.    

• Like 5

We can end the trade-down talks now but the trade-up talks–whether to no. 1 overall or back into the first round after pick 2–will continue unabated. 

Wish Sam the best, he definitely has some arm talent. Sucks the situation he was thrown into last season. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Good luck to Sam. I'll be following his career from afar. He balled out for this team a few times. He does have heart. I think this means we draft Maye. Those two did not really want to compete with each other on the same roster. Seattle gets a really cheap backup. Good deal for both teams. Excited about this draft!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wit33 said:

You might literally explode if you listen to both Sheehan and Doc together lol 

I have.

It was an abomination of stupidity.

What can I say.  I enjoy factual, balanced, thoughtful, well researched intelligent analysis.  I don't enjoy emotional, uneducated, self-serving, moronic tough-guy talk.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, sinews said:

We can end the trade-down talks now but the trade-up talks–whether to no. 1 overall or back into the first round after pick 2–will continue unabated. 

Wish Sam the best, he definitely has some arm talent. Sucks the situation he was thrown into last season. 

Well put, sinews!  

22 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Sounds like the equivalent of a 3rd round pick based off the draft pick value chart on draftek

Moving up from 102 to 78 = +108 pts

Moving up from 179 to 152 = +10.8 pts

118.8 pts = 95/96th pick in late 3rd round

Not a bad return.  But I still think we should've had him back up the rookie instead of Mariota.  But not losing sleep over it.

"...I still think we should've had him back up the rookie instead of Mariota."

I suspect that the leisurely walk around Commanders Park that Peters said he had with Howell, a few weeks ago, included a polite request from Howell that he be traded to a team that would give him a chance to start.

No source, just speculation on my part.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Redd said:

I didn’t see Commies trading Howell. Wow, at worst I believed he would be a cheap backup on this team. Well well well, a new age is here to n DC. Out with the old and in with the new.  Looking forward to whoever Commanders draft for qb this year.

Makes sense. Last thing you want when you have a rookie quarterback is a distraction. Ain’t nobody gonna be calling for Mariota if our first round pick struggles early.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

15 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Looks like we net 118.8 points per 2024 chart, equivalent of pick #95 (low 3rd).

Edit: Fixing math, sorry.

Thats better than I thought... .thanks this actually makes me feel better and like the trade.

• Like 1

I became very hard on Sam once I realized we had failed him...the best place for him was somewhere that needed and wanted him to develop into a potential starter. 

That wasn't here, that's why it didn't work, what could've doesn't matter any ore because he's in a good place and deserves it.

Now having three 3rd round picks, I can love with all this.  Thanks Sam, and good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

If we are taking a Qb it is good we moved him. This has to be the rookies team. I think his best game last year was the Seattle game.

Now we need a second first round pick to get one of the top 5 OT. Need a CB, Qb, and Ot. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

8 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Love having another 3rd but would have thought we could get more for Sam than that.  I guess this tells us what the league, Peters and the new coaching staff think of him.  

Im starting to think they are going to stay at #2 and take a QB lol

Wtf were you expecting? We basically got a late 3rd/early 4th. 

• Like 2

I don't really understand the narrative that because Howell and Maye are friends and went to unc together, that means they couldn't be in the same QB room.  They are grown men.  They make millions in the NFL.  If I was going to lose my job like Howell was, I'd rather lose it to a friend than a stranger.   I think Howell would've had his back and they would've had a positive working relationship bc of the prior friendship.  

I think they made this trade bc they liked the return for a QB they didn't think made sense for them moving forward.  I doubt the friendship with maye had anything to do with it.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1