Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching Thread

With the Seahawks opening, I’m hoping Quinn decides to come home and be their HC. It would weaken Dallas, and I think Seattle could be good again, if they find a QB.

I’m really hoping we can get Peters as GM and Ben “Tar Heel” Johnson as HC. Johnson could coach his favorite UNC QBs; turning Drake Maye into our franchise player and earning Howell a nice pay day as a veteran starter somewhere in 2026.

Our head coach almost has to be on the offensive side of the ball.

We are going to draft a quarterback. One thing you absolutely do not want to risk is having your rookie and OC work well and then the OC gets a job elsewhere and you’re starting over. That’s not necessarily a death sentence. But it’s a worry.

You don’t need to worry about that with an offensive HC.

I'm not against defensive guys as head coaches. I think it works. But not in all situations.

In ours, with a rookie QB, I think hiring a defensive minded HC is an error.

• Like 11

I'd be for @KDawg but alas he coaches defense.  So I agree to stay on the offense side of the ball.

Why Ben Johnson is atop the coaching wish list

As Black Monday looms, expect many teams to woo Detroit Lions' offensive coordinator. Here's why.

https://www.golongtd.com/p/why-ben-johnson-is-atop-the-coaching

The key is then marrying a coaching style with the reason Johnson is atop those lists: His offensive acumen.

Once this regular season concludes, there’s a reasonable chance Detroit finishes with a 4,000-yard passer (Goff), two 1,000-yard rushers (David Montgomery, Jahmyr Gibbs), a 1,400-yard wide receiver (Amon-Ra St. Brown) and a 900-yard tight end (Sam LaPorta). Six times the Lions have eclipsed 400 yards of offense in a game. Under the coordination of Matt Canada, the Steelers infamously failed to reach the 400 mark in 58 straight games. Unpredictability reigns in Detroit. This collection of weapons kill opponents with paper cuts, with 15-play drives. They also take shots deep. And finish in the red zone, scoring touchdowns 63 percent of the time (fifth-best in the NFL). And run where most teams pass. And pass where most teams run. Remember this fourth and 1 at Lambeau Field last year? It’s almost impossible for opposing coordinators to nail down his tendencies because the Lions are capable of jamming 11 bodies together to play smashmouth and spreading five receivers wide.

Reynolds estimates that the Lions are in the perfect play call for whichever defensive alignment they face 80 percent of the time. It’s a look they practiced all week. The second receivers see it, they’re practically salivating.  

Always, the Lions stay aggressive. They’re 39 of 75 on fourth downs the past two seasons with Johnson’s playcalling complementing Campbell’s brass-balls nature.

This is the trait that stands out most as a playcaller.

Says Reynolds: “He’s not scared.”

LaPorta, a Pro Bowler in Year 1, first cites the offensive line as the foundation to it all. A nasty unit to be sure. The rookie has seen Johnson devise plays he’s never imagined.

But it’s also when Johnson decides to call such plays. He challenges norms.

“You just see different things drawn up every week that you say, ‘Wow, man, I never would’ve thought of doing that,’” LaPorta says. “It’s the creativity and also not having the fear of actually calling those plays. I think a lot of coordinators in the NFL are skeptical or hesitant to maybe run some of the things that you see us run. ‘Man! Wow, that worked for them. I can’t believe they ran that!’”

Like anything in life, you’re not scared when you’re prepared.

Fearlessness is rooted in an obsession with details. Johnson loves telling players that details are the secret sauce to this Lions offense. Drilling plays down to the step. Johnson actually arrived in Detroit two years before Campbell as a quality control coach in 2019. He has climbed the ladder from QC to tight ends coach to passing game coordinator to full-fledged offensive coordinator through different regimes. Quarterback David Blough has been here every step of the way, too. He also arrived in ’19 and has seen Johnson grow immensely over the last five seasons.

A QC background always comes in handy. You cut up so much film, you’re bound to store a few tricks away for the future. Like, say, a “Philly Special.”

Johnson is described as an effective teacher. He’s able to transfer everything players see on film to the field.

“A gifted communicator,” Blough says. “His whole career has just been founded in hard work where he’s been the grinder just his whole time and he’s not afraid to be creative. So he maximizes his guys’ skill-sets and then allows them to go and play fast because of the way he communicates the details. His gift is definitely communicating details.”

There’s always been a method to the fake-punt madness in Detroit. One of those inspiring speeches on Hard Knocks only means something if the head coach’s actions back it up. To extinguish “bad juju” — to now chase a championship — Campbell is constantly proving to the players he believes in them. Blough believes Johnson’s creativity feeds into this approach.

Campbell may be in his own class as a public speaker. Human Red Bull.

But Johnson is no slouch.

Nobody was quite sure what to expect before his OC days, though knew he helped lead T.J. Hockensen to the Pro Bowl. Blough calls the OC a “dynamic” communicator in front of the room, adding that players naturally gravitate toward him.

“You see how he prepares for all of his meetings,” Blough says. “There’s no stone left unturned when it comes to this. I’m really proud to see what he’s built. He’s the best I’ve been around.”

Everything plotted on a tablet is the easy part for owners. There’s no questioning Johnson’s ability to lead a high-scoring offense. Hypothetically, he should fully maximize the gifts of Herbert or Young or whoever his new team drafts. But there’s so much more to coaching an NFL team. Ryans and Steichen are changing their respective franchises from within. It’s not easy to find your voice. Even if you do — and win — the NFL has a funny way of knocking you down. Brian Daboll’s injury-ravaged New York Giants are 5-11. They’ve allowed 83 sacks, the second-most in NFL history. At 14.9 points per game, they’re also in danger of finishing under 15 ppg for the first time since 1979.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, c slag said:

I heard a rumor somewhere they are interested in Bobby Slowik , the Houston OC, who coached here before with Mike Shanahan?

my only issue w/slowik is he's only been at the OC for 1 year, where as Ben Johnson has been at it for several (but I know Johnson might not be a option w/all the other openings) also I know getting a HC that has a Offensive background is the desire for many, but I hope they don't shut out the chance to interview/hire a really good HC that has a Defensive background when he could get a new up & coming OC or 1 that has been around for years (you know theres guys out there that nobody has heard of that if given the chance would be successful) I wouldn't let the fear of another team coming in and hiring the OC after a few seasons if he has success, I think thats the main reason ppl are against hiring a Defensive Coach, fear of losing a OC.

• Like 1

The Commanders fan guide to obsessing over the coaching search by watching the NFL playoffs. Five of the known seven candidates are involved this weekend -- Ben Johnson and Raheem Morris head-to-head -- along with others to note should the list expand.  Peters has yet to sign a contract, but the soon-to-be former San Francisco 49ers assistant general manager agreed to terms to become the Commanders’ next general manager on Friday. Now, the personnel executive who came up the ranks scouting for Bill Belichick’s New England Patriots and the Peyton Manning-led Denver Broncos will have a significant say in Washington’s next coach. 

https://theathletic.com/5196095/2024/01/13/commanders-head-coach-candidates-playoffs/?source=emp-shared-article

I don’t understand why all the love for Raheem Morris nationally….he was a complete fail in Tampa and to be honest Steve Wilkes is way better at both DC and HC and also weird that Brian Flores name isn’t being mentioned at all. NFL must still be a bit butt sore over the lawsuit 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Command The 414 said:

I don’t understand why all the love for Raheem Morris nationally….he was a complete fail in Tampa and to be honest Steve Wilkes is way better at both DC and HC and also weird that Brian Flores name isn’t being mentioned at all. NFL must still be a bit butt sore over the lawsuit 

Yeah I don't get it either.  I don't want anything to do with Morris.  I'm very intrigued by Slowik here lately.  I know everyone seems to be on the Ben Johnson train,  myself included but the more I read about Slowik the more I like about him.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, dyst said:

So no one knocking on our door to interview EB. Interesting.

I don’t know the situation at his alma mater Colorado & Deion Sanders w/their Offense but I could see him going back to the college ranks as a OC in the near future, but with all these openings this off season I’m sure once all the landing spots for HC get filled he’ll get at least a interview for OC or QB/RB coach from 1 of them ..

Edited by Command The 414

2 hours ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Yeah I don't get it either.  I don't want anything to do with Morris.  I'm very intrigued by Slowik here lately.  I know everyone seems to be on the Ben Johnson train,  myself included but the more I read about Slowik the more I like about him.

Morris has done a fantastic job with the Rams the past three seasons.   They have Aaron Donald and a bunch of no-names (at least no names heading into the season) but have produced a solid defense this year.  A couple years ago he won a Super Bowl as the DC of the Rams.  

I think he is built a good resume since getting fired.  DC for both the Falcons and Rams.  But also was a WR coach under Kyle Shannahan in Atlanta for a season or two which gave him familiarity with the Shannahan offense and how to defend it.

• Like 1

Peters needs to nail a good OC/HC or DC/HC but whomever is selected as HC whether it be OC or DC, we need the other coordinator to be sound and established.  I like the fact that we are looking at Asst. HC/DL coach Weaver from Baltimore.  If we were to be able to land him as a DC if we go for an Offensive HC, that'd be a HUGE get!   

9 hours ago, c slag said:

I heard a rumor somewhere they are interested in Bobby Slowik , the Houston OC, who coached here before with Mike Shanahan?

Texans Offense looks great.  I swear everyone that came out that Shanahan tree… offenses are all very effective 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Peters knows Slowik from San Fran as well amd even though hes an offensive coach, he came up first coaching defense.

I was really impressed with Houston’s offense last night.  The play selection was damn near perfect on a number of drives, manipulating the Cleveland defense and then going for the kill.  Definitely showed a keen understanding of what the Browns defense was trying to do.

I also kinda know Bobby Slowik from his time with the Redskins.  His wife and he went to our church and participated in a number of young adult activities so I got a chance to chat with him a number of times.  He’s incredibly down to earth and humble.  A genuinely good guy.

Edited by Rex Tomb
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

Taking into consideration the connection between HC and who he wants, IF Peters allows him to make the final decision I like the following for HC, OC and DC

HC: Lion's OC, Ben Johnson
OC: Lion's QB coach, Mark Brunell
DC: Raven's DL coach, Anthony Weaver or Lion's DB coach, Brian Duker (i.e., former Duker came to Detroit after spending the previous three seasons (2018-20) assisting the Baltimore Ravens' defense. He originally joined the Ravens as a defensive staff assistant/coaching analyst in 2018.)