Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching Thread

9 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Belichick would never go to Dallas. He turned down the Jets to go to New England for the same reason he's going to avoid the Cowboys, namely ownership issues.

He needs 20+ wins to become the winningest HC before he retires. His standards may relax a bit to take over a talented team that can coast to 10+ wins per season and a playoff berth with the right defensive coaching. It has been reported he’s developed a decent relationship with both Jerry and Stephen Jones over the years.

I’m not afraid of him landing there, but just from the perspective of legacy I can see the appeal. I think he’ll have a hard time convincing that locker room of his Patriot Way culture though, given the Cowboys manage to craft their own weird identity despite no playoff success. Jerry manages to bluff that team into thinking it’s a prestige destination and builds an arrogant culture despite having nothing to show for it for decades. That may be tough to contend with, if you’re Belichick and trying to change how they operate. Whether he’s washed or not as a coach. 

Edited by Conn

I want Dallas to keep McCarthy. He has been a great replacement for Garrett.

If they were to fire him, Belichick would be a great replacement. That whole Patriot Way he created that @Connbrings up, would fail miserably, love it. 

11 minutes ago, Conn said:

He needs 20+ wins to become the winningest HC before he retires. His standards may relax a bit to take over a talented team that can coast to 10+ wins per season and a playoff berth with the right defensive coaching. It has been reported he’s developed a decent relationship with both Jerry and Stephen Jones over the years.

I’m not afraid of him landing there, but just from the perspective of legacy I can see the appeal. I think he’ll have a hard time convincing that locker room of his Patriot Way culture though, given the Cowboys manage to craft their own weird identity despite no playoff success. Jerry manages to bluff that team into thinking it’s a prestige destination and builds an arrogant culture despite having nothing to show for it for decades. That may be tough to contend with, if you’re Belichick and trying to change how they operate. Whether he’s washed or not as a coach. 

If he intends to implement a different offense or bring in McDaniels, not sure if coasting to 10+ wins would be a given. How will Dak/Lamb respond? Will they struggle under a new philosophy? The way I see it, for Dallas to keep getting their 12-13 wins regardless of coaching changes they'd have to maintain continuity on the offensive side of the ball, which means running a similar or compatible scheme to what they're already using and I'm not sure Belichick goes for that. 

Edited by BurgundyBooger

3 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

This seems to be a person-to-person interview and by Rooney Rule every team must do a person to person with at least one minority. 

Edited by RWJ

25 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This seems to be a person-to-person interview and by Rooney Rule every team must do a person to person with at least one minority. 

I thought headcoach was 2 minority candidates?

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This:  Clubs must conduct an in-person interview with at least one external minority candidate for any GM or head coaching interview.

The Rooney Rule | NFL Football Operations

The same link says the following 

In 2021, the NFL approved changes requiring every team to interview at least two external minority candidates for open head coaching positions and at least one external minority candidate for a coordinator job. Additionally, at least one minority and/or female candidate must be interviewed for senior level positions (e.g., club president and senior executives).

The portion you cited sounds like recommendation by the diversity committee that is still under consideration (I guess requiring in person interview with at least one external minority candidate)

6 minutes ago, bearrock said:

The same link says the following 

The portion you cited sounds like recommendation by the diversity committee that is still under consideration (I guess requiring in person interview with at least one external minority candidate)

My bad, bearrock!  :) 

• Thumb up 1

I think Belichick could be a good coach for the Cowboys, but my confidence level is not high.  If he took the opportunity to get a fresh start and hire an OC that has not traditionally been a part of his staff with the Patriots and gave up player personnel control, I think he could do just fine.  Despite a lot of injuries at pivotal positions, that defense in New England was still in the top third of the league and they lost their top 2 corners and top pass rusher for the season fairly early in the season.  But that was the worst offense in the NFL.  It was bad because it had bad schemes AND bad player personnel.  I feel like Dan Quinn is a good DC, but Belichick is better, particularly against top offenses.  

So I could see Belichick being a decent short term fit for the Cowboys, I just don't have a high confidence level in that take.

I am now way overthinking it and perhaps going down a rabbit hole...

If we go in the way of Mike Macdonald (Ravens DC), I wouldn't hate the scenario in which Mike bring in Greg Roman as OC.

Trade for Fields and keep Howell as backup.  Trade #2 pick for bunch of picks.

I am not convinced that Caleb Williams or Drake Maye are guarantee to work out here in Washington.   As much as I would love Ben Johnson or Slowik here for the new hot trendy offense system with young QB, I think this is much higher risky proposition than going in the route of Greg Roman and Justin Fields.

I don't get the impression that Josh is looking to get cute with off-the-wall personnel choices. It may be that someone blows the advisory committee away during interviews and vaults themselves to the top of the list, but I doubt there'll be a strategy of being tricky with this hire. It's a franchise-defining hire for Josh (and Adam), so it's not the time to be too clever by half.

Adam Peters could go DC for HC but he's a former TE and with us having a DC minded HC and in need of a QB and sitting at #2 to take one, it really makes the most sense to go OC for HC.  Let's see though because none of us know Adam Peters yet and how he will operate with this team yet.  Exciting times.  Yes?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sjinhan said:

I am now way overthinking it and perhaps going down a rabbit hole...

If we go in the way of Mike Macdonald (Ravens DC), I wouldn't hate the scenario in which Mike bring in Greg Roman as OC.

Trade for Fields and keep Howell as backup.  Trade #2 pick for bunch of picks.

I am not convinced that Caleb Williams or Drake Maye are guarantee to work out here in Washington.   As much as I would love Ben Johnson or Slowik here for the new hot trendy offense system with young QB, I think this is much higher risky proposition than going in the route of Greg Roman and Justin Fields.

if we do all of that or just some, and none would involve Roman as OC (like trade for Fields, which I wouldn't do for anything lower then a 3rd or 4th) you'd keep the #2 overall and for sure draft the stud WR MHJ....but we need to stay pat and use the #2 for the QB imo....Daniels or Maye 

Question for the ranks: Can we hire Ben Johnson or Slowik before their teams have been eliminated or does the announcement of that have to wait until their team is eliminated? I assume it's gonna be pretty competitive for some of these guys services. 

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Question for the ranks: Can we hire Ben Johnson or Slowik before their teams have been eliminated or does the announcement of that have to wait until their team is eliminated? I assume it's gonna be pretty competitive for some of these guys services. 

• Additionally, no contract, contract announcement or contract agreement is permitted until after the end of the employer team’s season.

I just got the answer.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

OK, I just thought of something funny.

Hide contents

What if Peters has been listening to Kyle all this time and decides to bring back Mike Shanahan.

:rofl89:

And he actually succeeded 😂😂😂 and brought OL guru Coach Alex Gibbs w/him too and Wade Phillips as the DC… talk about a blast from the past coaching staff 

• Like 1

This is great; there is a lot of talk today in Philly that the Eagles are interested in making Ron Rivera their DC, in part, so that if they do have to fire Sirianni mid-season next year they'll have a secure voice to step in as interim head coach. Many fans are calling in saying they want RR and that they like his style. 

Didn't know where to put this so I put it in the coaching thread.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

This is great; there is a lot of talk today in Philly that the Eagles are interested in making Ron Rivera their DC, in part, so that if they do have to fire Sirianni mid-season next year they'll have a secure voice to step in as interim head coach. Many fans are calling in saying they want RR and that they like his style. 

My god please let this happen 

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Ya, but he’s be terrified to play this team. Why would the Eagles want to hire a guy who cowers at all of the talent and Super Bowl rings that the roster he assembled here are going to achieve? Short sighted move from Philly.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I’m hopeful too.  When I saw the report I went over to an eagles forum and was surprised that nearly all of their fans posting were in favor of the higher.   lol.   I guess that saying, “one man’s garbage is another man’s treasure” holds true.    Eagles by all means please hire our garbage.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

And I thought our fanbase collective IQ had plummeted, good grief....

But then again this is Philadelphia we're talking about.

• 2 weeks later...