Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Rappaport, Jack Del Rio/ Vieselmeyer Fired. Ron will run defense for rest of Season

Reaper Skins

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So with news I’m left thinking the Defense will be either just as bad or worse (as if that was possible) and the offense is likely to improve slightly.

have a difficult schedule going forward so likely won’t matter anyway.  Will have a top 5 pick. 

27 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I still wonder how many players JDR lost with his dust up comment a few years back. 🤔

I think it was bigger than most realize, polarizing political and social issues have the potential to galvanize or completely destroy locker room chemistry. Whatever his political stance was should have been his privately. The fact he thought he should state it publicly without the understanding of how it would be perceived in his locker room tied to his players and his job on the heels of all the Kapernick stuff shows where his level of discernment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

36 minutes ago, MartinC said:

There is more chance of me coaching the team next season than Rivera. 

The results would be similar and I’d do it for half the cost. 

If that is true then you would have been the head coach a long time ago after Gibbs retired, nice try though!

Edited by KWilliamsAWinfield
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Well, now I’m intrigued. How will Rivera stand with his arms crossed in the same position for four quarters if he’s responsible for calling and coordinating the defense?

I think Ron was bored to death on the sideline. At least now he will have something to do.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Joe Barry is the worst DC in rhe history of the NFL and it’s not that close.  

How the hell we went from Haz to Barry to Manusky to Del Rio is wild.

At least Del Rio had 2 years where the defense ended well.  None of the rest of them can say that.  

Low bar but Del Rio is the best of the worst. 

Glad he’s gone though I’m not sure I care that much about the timing 

They're not kidding when they call it a coaching fraternity. The same loyalty and need to look out for guys who've paid their dues, yes you have emerging stars but they always make sure their guy has a job. Joe Barry is definitely the worst of contemporary times for the entire league. It makes you wonder how he got hired but then I recall he married Rod Marinelli's daughter.

wait....Joe Barry was hired by Matt LeFleur in Green Bay and they have actually performed...OK not disastrously.

Life's a trip, que no?

Edited by Ghost of
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

wait....Joe Barry was hired by Matt LeFleur in Green Bay and they have actually performed...OK not disastrously.

They’ve actually been very bad.  But before this year they had Rodgers to cover it up.  And this year they were expected to be bad.  

I will give credit where credit is due.  He didn’t look like the walking personification of stupid yesterday against the Lions, when wonderkin Ben Johnson inexplicably called 2-1 run to pass for a quarter and a half which, along with Goff making early mistakes, put the Lions down early.  

1 hour ago, Csup said:

This is a petty move.  Does Rivera think this will save his job? What’s the point?

How is this a petty move? Fans have been clamoring for Del Rio to be fired. Ron had no choice. I'm for one, interested to see if the defense plays any better.I doubt it but lets see.

I thought I heard yesterday the EB and JDR got into it after the game. I wonder if that had anything to do with the firing.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I wonder what Jack said to Eric yesterday. The timing is suspect.  The firing was 16 months too late but better late than never.  Vissell should never have been hired of course. I would like to see the other Del Rio relieved later today. Dare I think it was Harris that made RR fire his best friend, that conversation yesterday aside.

Its too bad RR is taking over who will likely keep Jack's failed scheme in place - to keep it simple as he exits. I wanted a new perspective but this is far better than nothing for now so the studs we drafted no longer have to hear Jack preaching his same failed scheme and pretending to believe in it.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

How is this a petty move? Fans have been clamoring for Del Rio to be fired. Ron had no choice. I'm for one, interested to see if the defense plays any better.I doubt it but lets see.

I thought I heard yesterday the EB and JDR got into it after the game. I wonder if that had anything to do with the firing.

It’s petty because it looks like Ron is trying to scapegoat JDR.   To me it comes across as Ron’s desperate attempt to save his job when it’s a foregone conclusion most of the coaching staff will be fired at the end of the season.

My statement is predicated on the fact that Harris did not insist JDR be fired.  I assumed this was a Rivera move.

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Csup said:

It’s petty because it looks like Ron is trying to scapegoat JDR.   To me it comes across as Ron’s desperate attempt to save his job when it’s a foregone conclusion most of the coaching staff will be fired at the end of the season.

My statement is predicated on the fact that Harris did not insist JDR be fired.  I assumed this was a Rivera move.

Ron didn't really have a choice. He wasn't trying to scapegoat JDR. Ron may not be a great coach at this point in his career but I don't think he's the type to scapegoat. If anything, he's too loyal.