Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread ~ The Commanders @ The Cowboys - Gobble Gobble... oh yeah, **** DALLAS!!!

zCommander

One thing I’ll say is I’m not so sure the quit has anything to do with Ron.  All reports indicate he’s letting each coordinator handle their side of the ball and he’s operating in a more CEO-like role.  By all appearances, I believe that.

Sometimes the quit is just natural from doing the same things over and over again and seeing the same results.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Well, firing sends a message to the players and others that will be coming into the org that they mean business. It also may help with morale simply because it’s like pulling off the bandaid.

But I agree. Ultimately it doesn’t do a thing right now. Unless you have someone on staff you want to evaluate in a different role for research purposes… EB as HC, Kerrigan as DC, Tavita Prichard as OC, etc.

I think we need to evaluate our defensive players in a different system these last 5 games....more blitzing and man coverage. Watching today we don't even disguise blitzes and when we do we rarely come....QB's have to know this just by our film. Fire JDR and put our corners in more man situations and see who can play it and who can't if that's possible in 5 games. I'm OK with keeping RR but JDR HAS to go after today just so the players can feel somewhat supported and so we can put them in different spots moving forward. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Sack the QB and **** slap the secondary if they don’t know what they’re doing.  

Isn't it odd to hear a player call out coaches? Whatever happened on the sideline is probably connected to his answer, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I think we need to evaluate our defensive players in a different system these last 5 games....more blitzing and man coverage. Watching today we don't even disguise blitzes and when we do we rarely come....QB's have to know this just by our film. Fire JDR and put our corners in more man situations and see who can play it and who can't if that's possible in 5 games. I'm OK with keeping RR but JDR HAS to go after today just so the players can feel somewhat supported and so we can put them in different spots moving forward. 

We’re about to play these WR’s the rest of the season:

MIA: Tyreek, Waddle 

BYE

STL: Nakua, Kupp

NYJ: Wilson

SF: Deebo 

DAL: Lamb, Cook again 

Combined with the running game most of these teams have, and the receiving weapons many of them have at RB + TE as well, you’re getting toasted no matter what with this defense. You aren’t going to magically get good results in more man, you’re going to get embarrassed. Probably either way. So I don’t think you’re learning that much new about the Defense with 6 weeks left in the season. Zone. Man. Zone match. Blindfolded while doing handstands. These DB’s are gonna get beat by a drum in between our DL not getting pressure and our LB’s getting abused. 

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

Honestly will be surprised if Terry and Allen is here next season. They just look pissed and tired of all this man.

I can't tell what I'm looking at with them anymore. 

They both seem irrelevant after ending last season as the clear leaders and best players in the roster.

Deductive reasoning is they've checked out and just waiting to see what happens next.  We broke them.

Ron was talking about the come back from cancer, frankly he gives me vibes of Gibbs after Sean's murder.   I don't thin khe has the gusto anymore.   

I don't really want to trade terry, but I can understand moving allen if we have payne under contract long term.

But if we may be retooling a lot, and gcan get a high 1st or 2nd for terry, then maybe we should move him to somewhere he can succeed.  We have so many holes though.  I hate to see them trade away key pieces, then trade up to draft a QB.

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

We’re about to play these WR’s the rest of the season:

MIA: Tyreek, Waddle 

BYE

STL: Nakua, Kupp

NYJ: Wilson

SF: Deebo 

DAL: Lamb, Cook again 

Combined with the running game most of these teams have, and the receiving weapons many of them have at RB + TE as well, you’re getting toasted no matter what with this defense. You aren’t going to magically get good results in more man, you’re going to get embarrassed. Probably either way. So I don’t think you’re learning that much new about the Defense with 6 weeks left in the season. Zone. Man. Zone match. Blindfolded while doing handstands. These DB’s are gonna get beat by a drum in between our DL not getting pressure and our LB’s getting abused. 

Who cares about the results of the game, you find out about the players in a new scheme. Every game is an opportunity to see who can/wants to play and who can't. I'll bet most of our defensive guys are dying to play man and blitz more. Let them do it. 

Commanders routed by Cowboys on Thanksgiving and changes could be coming

ARLINGTON, Texas — Dak Prescott ate a turkey leg on the sideline early Thursday evening as the Washington Commanders stood in silence with six minutes left of a blowout loss to their archrival.

Happy Thanksgiving, Washington.

In a game that the Commanders sorely needed to at least keep competitive, they were instead embarrassed, 45-10, to the Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium to put everyone’s job at stake over the next 24 hours.

The defense was a bumbling mess, giving up 431 yards and five touchdowns.

The offense had its moments but failed to execute in the clutch, going 0-for-3 on fourth downs and allowing four sacks of quarterback Sam Howell.

The result was a third consecutive loss that left Coach Ron Rivera’s team at 4-8. It also removed the question of if wholesale changes will be made, replacing it with how soon?

...Dallas Coach Mike McCarthy’s game plan clearly intended to pick on Washington’s young defensive backs, who have shown to be game-changers — often for worse. They have length and speed, but have allowed numerous explosive plays in coverage and have had costly penalties. Cornerback Benjamin St-Juste, who was targeted early and often Thursday, picked up his sixth penalty for illegal contact in the first quarter.

...Afterward, Rivera repeated what he said last week, that he’s not concerned about the future and his job security in Washington. Asked if he planned to make any staff changes, he declined to say much.

“I’m not going to get into that stuff,” he said.

Washington’s locker room afterward was silent. Players absorbed their reality and the possibility of what could come.

“It was tough,” Rivera said of his conversation with the team postgame. “Solemn.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/23/commanders-cowboys-thanksgiving-rout/

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Who cares about the results of the game, you find out about the players in a new scheme. Every game is an opportunity to see who can/wants to play and who can't. I'll bet most of our defensive guys are dying to play man and blitz more. Let them do it. 

Our guys have gotten burned plenty in man this year. You’ve got tons of snaps to evaluate for the DB’s. You can change anything you want these last 5 weeks but it isn’t going to remotely resemble getting a new defensive scheme to evaluate these guys in. Just doing more of one thing or another that they’ve already been getting beat in this year. There is no magic bullet