Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, this is the problem with the vague original tweet and why I despise that type of "reporting:" She can "claim victory" in 67 different ways if something unexpected happens.  

1. McClay departs the Cowboys

2. Eagles fire Sirani.

3. Cowboys fire McCarthy

4. Giants fire Wink.

Hell, she could have quoted out Wink's fire on that tweet and THAT might have been what she was referencing.

Who knows if this is what she was referencing or not.  Or if she just threw something out there and now can do a small victory dance about how smart she is.  

"something unexpected is going to happen" is a good bet in every division.  

You might be right.  But on my end, I don't care.  If they get McClay she or any reporter can crow.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The irony is I just listened to Jonathan Allen's interview and even he also preferred an offensive guy -- citing the common reason for it that you tend to lose your offensive coordinators working under a defensive minded coach. 

I think the real bombshell in the Allen interview was one that would send VoR’s BP soaring.

That he and the players loved playing for Jay, who had a great locker room culture.  That the losing culture came from the higher-ups.  

• Like 2

Florio isn't a reporter as far as I am concerned.  

But the he hates Washington stuff is overblown.  He hated the name and wanted it changed. And he hated Dan Snyder.  Both variables are now over.

He's like this with all teams -- gossipy and throws stuff at the wall, its not just Washington.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think the real bombshell in the Allen interview was one that would send VoR’s BP soaring.

That he and the players loved playing for Jay, who had a great locker room culture.  That the losing culture came from the higher-ups.  

Yep he did say that.  Jay also said he still texts with some of his old players, I think he mentioned Allen among them if I recall.

That long article I posed about Ron indicated that Ron indeed at times overruled his FO on moves including on Wentz...

41 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The Texans were also supposedly bereft of talent across the roster. Sure Stroud could have been "the guy" but the entire team stepped up this year. Obv. they have holes, but if you go back to the pre-season almost everyone had the Cardinals slated for picks #1 and #2 because the Texans roster was not a "good rookie QB away" ... 

That part of their success is called great coaching AKA the Demeco Ryans effect......

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

What is a "true rebuild"? The definition of a rebuild IMO is to find a QB, once that happens you can fill in the gaps quickly and become a competitive team.

Find a, HOFO, coach, staff let them decide the true rebuild many ways to it.  Finding a QB is the hard part, for your talent evaluator.  

2 hours ago, Commander Adama said:

What is the deal with Mike Florio? I can't believe I just watched a youtube video of him saying there are warning signs in Washington of Josh Harris bringing in Myers and Spielman as a cover for him going after Belichick?! Also that Washington is not desirable. What?

Florio is as connected to this as you and me. Ignore.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

That part of their success is called great coaching AKA the Demeco Ryans effect......

Totally agree, imho the full success they’re having this season is Ryans hands down, and add he has allowed the OC Slowik full authority on that side…. When watching a Texans game you can tell those players will/would go through a brick wall for him 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

It's also why I don't subscribe to the "they didn't have help" excuse for Howell and some other QBs. CJ Stroud made the Texans offensive players better. He BARELY had a run game at all, people knew they were going to pass the ball and look at what he still was able to get out of Nico Collins, Tank Dell and Noah Brown.

• Like 2

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

It's also why I don't subscribe to the "they didn't have help" excuse for Howell and some other QBs. CJ Stroud made the Texans offensive players better. He BARELY had a run game at all, people knew they were going to pass the ball and look at what he still was able to get out of Nico Collins, Tank Dell and Noah Brown.

Yep thats why when you have a shot at a superstar QB you go for it.

Look at the impact RG3 had in 2012. 

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He BARELY had a run game at all, people knew they were going to pass the ball and look at what he still was able to get out of Nico Collins, Tank Dell and Noah Brown.

All for that I’m puzzled as to why they played Singletary over last seasons rookie Pierce who had a awesome season with a crap team…. He was demoted to KO returns 

6 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

All for that I’m puzzled as to why they played Singletary over last seasons rookie Pierce who had a awesome season with a crap team…. He was demoted to KO returns 

New scheme.  Slowik is a shanahan disciple aka zone runs.

"Pierce was a power back, and the Texans, under then-offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton ran a power-running gap scheme that accentuated Pierce's strengths as an inside runner."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/texans-running-back-dameon-pierce-slow-start-18424792.php

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The irony is I just listened to Jonathan Allen's interview and even he also preferred an offensive guy -- citing the common reason for it that you tend to lose your offensive coordinators working under a defensive minded coach. 

Yeah, one thing I think modern HCs do extremely poorly is groom and mentor the position coaches up to coordinators.  In theory, after year 2, there should always be a position coach who could take over as coordinator on your staff.  And somebody behind him who is being groomed.  

That doesn't mean EVERY position coach should be in position to move up, but as you are constructing your staff, you should have your coordinator, and honestly an "assistant coordinator" who is also a position coach.  

Often you'll see a "passing game coordinator" or "run game coordinator" or something, but in theory, if your offense is going well, and you lose your OC, then you should have a guy who you've been grooming to take over. 

That might even mean giving them some drives to call plays on so they get experience, certainly in pre-season, but regular season as well.  That way, you're not going outside the organization if you loos a coordinator.  You keep the same offense, elevate a guy, and then backfill with a coach who you want to groom but might be 2-3 years away.

This works on either side of the ball.  

Ron's staff was full of old guys and never-gonna-bes with a few exceptions, who left.  So any change they wanted to make had to come from outside the organization.  

I'm hoping whoever we hire, we have a few up-and-comers as position coaches who they can groom into being coordinators.  

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You might be right.  But on my end, I don't care.  If they get McClay she or any reporter can crow.  

I don't really care either.  

I just think journalism is dead.  And that makes me sad.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The reason why I prefer Ben Johnson over Slowik is profile wise he jumps more as a personality.  The same reason why I disagreed with you two off seasons ago when you pushed Scott Turner as a potential HC candidate -- I thought among other things his low key personality wouldn't feel much like a HC.

Slowik isn't billed low energy like Scott but very low key, mild mannered and not the most charasmatic dude.  Ben Johnson's personality is billed as much as his coaching style.

I am intrigued by Slowik but I do have some pause about whether he'd be a good leader of men.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/11/16/23963127/detroit-lions-offensive-coordinator-head-coaching-candidate-nfl-network-ben-johnson

On Pelissero’s daily show “The Insiders” on NFL Network, he took things a step further, suggesting Johnson was not only a hot candidate for a head coaching job, but likely THE top candidate.

“Based upon the conversations I’ve had with a variety of different people around the league,” Pelissero said, “a lot of people begin the discussion with, ‘ok, it’s Ben Johnson and who else in this (hiring) cycle?’”

The rise of Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson

• woodyard_eric.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Eric Woodyard, ESPNSep 28, 2023, 06:00 AM ET

DETROIT -- It didn't take long for Amon-Ra St. Brown to realize Ben Johnson was different.

Ahead of the 2021 season opener, the then-tight ends coach was tasked with presenting red-zone installs in front of the entire Detroit Lions team.

St. Brown -- then a Lions rookie receiver -- had heard other coaches present strategies for first, second and third down situations, but Johnson's delivery stood out immediately.

"The way he's explaining the plays, the way he's detailed with how we've got to run these routes in the red zone, I just knew the way he was talking to us, it just felt different," St. Brown recalled. "I told one of my teammates, I forgot who it was, I was like, 'Bro, when Ben gets up there, he knows exactly what he's talking about, he's telling us what he sees in this play, what he wants us to do. There's no gray area. It's super detailed.'"

...While preparing his team to face the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl LVI, Cincinnati Bengals head coach Zac Taylor took time during a media session to praise Johnson.

"I've tried to hire Ben many, many, many times. He always just gets promoted to where I can't get him. [Lions coach] Dan [Campbell] knows that," Taylor told reporters. "I've always tried to find a place for him on staff, whether it's offense, defense, special [teams], it doesn't matter. He's one of those guys you want on your staff because he's brilliant."

...Campbell describes Johnson as a "chess player". He says Johnson puts a lot of time and thought into getting certain players touches and when to call plays, which, according to Campbell, is key in building the gameplan for the week.

"He can identify quickly things that, 'Man, I know I've got to be better here. I won't ever do that again. Man, if we play these guys again, this is exactly what I would do,'" Campbell said.

"He's got an answer for all of it in real time and the more he memory banks, he just keeps getting better and better and growing. And then even from the game-plan standpoint, putting players in the best position to have success."

...Players say Johnson's word carries weight around the Lions' facility because they see him logging long hours in the office -- and in the gym -- just like them.

"If he's saying something, there's a reason. I'm not gonna question what he's saying because I know he's up there watching film," St. Brown said. "I know he's spending hours in this building so when he tells me something, I'm not even second guessing. I'm like, 'OK, Ben said this. He's saying it for a reason and I'm listening to him.'

"There's no question. For me, I respect the hell out of that because I know he's putting the work in everyday, he's watching the tape, he wants to be great, and he's never satisfied. That's something that I really like about him, too."

With Johnson guiding him, Goff put together one of the best stretches of his career. His streak of 383 consecutive passes without an interception was recently snapped in the Week 2 loss to the Seattle Seahawks, but it marked the third-longest such streak in NFL history behind only Aaron Rodgers (402 straight in 2018) and Tom Brady (399 straight in 2022). Last year, Goff also posted the franchise's lowest single-season interception rate (1.2%) and touchdown-to-interception ratio (4.14) in a single season.

The former No. 1 overall pick highlighted Johnson's ability to communicate and listen as his biggest strengths, and said he's open to implement suggestions from players during the game.

"Constant communication and honesty. He's not afraid to check me and then not afraid to tell me I'm doing s--t right," Goff told ESPN. "We have a very open communication and relationship, where I can come to him, and vent and he can come to me and I can also go to him with ideas. Obviously, he's the idea guy, but if I have stuff that I think will work, he'll listen to everything. He's a great listener."

Entering last season, Goff and Johnson made a pact that they were committed to having each other's backs, through good and bad times, to build a winning culture in Detroit. They've stayed true to that and now have their sights set on helping the Lions win their first division title in three decades.

"He's not afraid to coach me and coach me hard and that's what I crave," Goff said. "I love being coached hard and I love getting feedback. He wants me to be great as much as I want to be great and it's fun to play for a guy like that."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38508867/the-rise-detroit-lions-oc-ben-johnson

My knees are weak. This guy will develop a talent like Maye into a star, and all the while intelligently funnel touches to our best players in the most advantageous situations. All while being a top tier communicator, which is the trait that McDaniel has that I value even more highly than his X’s and O’s genius. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

yeah, he was too inflexible. He needed to run the ball more. It was getting way too much. I was trying to be understanding but after that Giants game and even after the Giants 2 where were doing well running the ball but had some fumbles, he seems to always go back to throwing it aggressively and putting everything on Howell's shoulders.

And I'm not out on Howell but my problem with him is he is not consistent enough. So he will have a good half like against SF or Dallas 1 or Dallas 2 and then melt down. Part of that is EB putting too much on his plate, part of that is the OL, but dems the breaks. He needs to put on his big boy pants and start making decisions.

If I let my son drive my beat up station wagon as his first car instead of my SUV, the lack of cruise control and a a working radio and a bluetooth and all that jazz are not things that I want to hear him tell me as reasons why he's a bad driver. 

There are about 10-15 other teams in the league with bad offensive lines. and another 10 or so with second or third string QBs. But I'm coming in here and on Twitter and defending Howell's bonehead interceptions just about every week. Its frustrating. 

I'm thinking about something Lynnell was pointing out on overtime last night. 6 of the 8 candidates at the time are defensive guys. Regardless of how I or fans feel about EB, I wonder if Harris is thinking of keeping him as OC. 

Maybe they're putting more of this year's problems in Howell than EB. 

33 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

And the great Jay Gruden Image Rehabilitation Quest continues. 

I will say, I'm getting rather tired of Allen in general.  He has popped off about being here 7 years and losing, bad culture, he popped off when Jay was here, he popped off when Ron was here.

Now he's contradicting his popping off about Jay because he's salty at Ron.

The entire NFL and presumably college passed judgement on Jay and determined he wasn't worth another shot at even OC after Jacksonville.  Maybe he gets another gig, maybe he doesn't.  He certainly wanted one, he came out and said so multiple times.  I don't know if he's changed his mind since. 

He was a bad coach.  Shrug.  

And it takes A LOT more to get my BP. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

If you want to lose some brain cells, watch Florio just make **** up.

Al Galdi calls Florio "fake news Florio" and says he has an "unhealthy obsession" with the (insert team name here).  

I don't know why, but he's bound and determined to grind an axe against this organization, even after Dan left.  It's completely bizarre. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

We’re gonna have someone hired by Thursday aren’t we. 

Harris did use "thorough and rapid".  Another thing that's be said about him is if he wants something he goes after it aggressively.

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

I wonder if Harris is thinking of keeping him as OC

I cant see Harris forcing a coordinator on whoever his new Head Coach will be. In fact I dont see any respectable head coach taking the job if Harris even tried.