Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Just became a much bigger fan of Hoffman after watching this.  He pretty much eviscerates Lombardi in his post-interview debrief, and deservedly so. 

It's unreal to me that Lombardi is still (somewhat) relevant.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, Conn said:

I mean, the poster on that Pats message board that someone posted here called him “Pureblood Popovich” in relation to the reason why he was willing to stop pursuing his NFL coaching dream in 2021–that we cannot talk about in this forum. So there’s at least some sketchy non-football component to why some of those Pats fans love this guy. I live in Boston. I know the type of fan. 

So it’s at least something to consider. I think his work with the Texans probably shows he is indeed a good coach. 

My bad on that, I didn't read that post that carefully and make that connection. 

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Just became a much bigger fan of Hoffman after watching this.  He pretty much eviscerates Lombardi in his post-interview debrief, and deservedly so. 

At least his twin brother is still relevant.

25 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

He's just so butt hurt belichick didn't get a job that everyone else is wrong.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, redskinss said:

He's just so butt hurt belichick didn't get a jobthat everyone else is wrong.

Yeah I can't think of anyone on the NFL that worships someone the way Lombardi worships Belichick.  

I did like Lombardi though years back when he'd obliterate Bruce Allen again and again.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I can't think of anyone on the NFL that worships someone the way Lombardi worships Belichick.  

I did like Lombardi though years back when he'd obliterated Bruce Allen again and again.

The leading argument on why belichick didn't get a job is that the people doing the hiring didn't want to sign their own death certificates so to speak.

Like McKay and Fontenot in Atlanta for example didn't want to bring in belichick and immediately become powerless figureheads if they even kept their jobs at all.

There's a good argument to be made there but I think the complete lack of interest by us is a damn good counter argument to that opinion. 

We were a clean slate, new owner looking to start completely over.

We could have fired everybody and just handed the keys to belichick and said go get us a championship but we didn’t and the reason was obvious. 

Without brady, belichicks record is not good and as a general manager it's even worse.

Starting fresh with bright young people is far more sustainable than giving ultimate power to a 73 year old with a sketchy personnel record and the nfl knew that.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 4

The more I read about Air Raid QBs coming out of college, the more iffy I am. It literally does not require you to read the defense at all. The only consistently good QB from that offense has been Mahomes and he had the benefit of sitting and learning from Alex Smith.

A lot of people blamed Kyler for the failures of the Cardinals offensive system but I don't know

I really hope this is not the system Kingsbury runs here or that it and him have evolved by A LOT

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

The more I read about Air Raid QBs coming out of college, the more iffy I am. It literally does not require you to read the defense at all. The only consistently good QB from that offense has been Mahomes and he had the benefit of sitting and learning from Alex Smith.

A lot of people blamed Kyler for the failures of the Cardinals offensive system but I don't know

I really hope this is not the system Kingsbury runs here or that it and him have evolved by A LOT

then hopefully kingsberry learned his lesson and develops it further.  run the air raid with more motion disguise some looks.  from what i gather the airraid has bascilly the same spread look most of the time.  can that be disguised be pre snap motions?

52 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

He was probably the one advising Dumbass on the coach-centric model. 😂

13 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Mahomes, Goff, Mayfield, Murray, Hurts…

This is a terrible narrative that is no longer relevant. It was just a sample size issue, primarily, but even that’s changing lately. 

13 minutes ago, boston skins fan said:

then hopefully kingsberry learned his lesson and develops it further.  run the air raid with more motion disguise some looks.  from what i gather the airraid has bascilly the same spread look most of the time.  can that be disguised be pre snap motions?

Possibly. His point is its too easy. It makes it hard for Air Raid QBs to transition to college and that Air Raid usually doesn’t work in the NFL consistently. 

He did a really good video on it above

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Mahomes, Goff, Mayfield, Murray, Hurts…

This is a terrible narrative that is no longer relevant. It was just a sample size issue, primarily, but even that’s changing lately. 

Mahomes. And Mahomes sat and learned from Smith how to read defenses and said that himself.

Goff, Mayfield and Murray have all been inconsistent, I think we can agree. Murray has long been considered a dummy/headcase who can't read a defense, Baker is on his FOURTH team and just found consistency in his play, and we don't need to rehash the Goff revival

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, illone said:

Everyone got to see Mahomes have world largest hissy fit on the sidelines this season after a subjectively bad call in the Buffalo game...  Would you pass on Mahomes if you saw him do that pre-draft?

I would, but I'm bad at evaluating college players, because it is not my job and I have no training.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Mahomes.

Goff, Mayfield and Murray have all been inconsistent, I think we can agree. Murray has long been considered a dummy who can't read a defense, Baker is on his FOURTH team and just found consistency in his play, and we don't need to rehash the Goff revival

If Mahomes is the standard, he's one of one.  Nearly all QBs have been inconsistent at one time or another and there are plenty of starting QBs who are no longer with their first teams... in fact, I think it may be the majority of QBs.

Goff is considered a top 10 QB.  Baker had the misfortune of being drafted by the only franchise with a worse track record than us when it comes to developing QBs.  He's also dealt with multiple injuries.  When healthy, he is easily a top 15 QB - top 10 when he's really on.

The point is that Air Raid QBs have found, and will continue to find, success in this league if they are developed properly in the right environment.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Possibly. His point is its too easy. It makes it hard for Air Raid QBs to transition to college and that Air Raid usually doesn’t work in the NFL consistently. 

He did a really good video on it above

Mahomes. And Mahomes sat and learned from Smith how to read defenses and said that himself.

Goff, Mayfield and Murray have all been inconsistent, I think we can agree. Murray has long been considered a dummy/headcase who can't read a defense, Baker is on his FOURTH team and just found consistency in his play, and we don't need to rehash the Goff revival

If you dismiss Goff, Mayfield, Hurts and Murray as inconsistent and thus unable to be classified as successful NFL QBs who came out of an air raid offense, then could you tell us which QBs in the NFL qualify as consistent?  Seems like if you are throwing out guys like that they there can’t be more than a handfull.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

If you dismiss Goff, Mayfield, Hurts and Murray as inconsistent and thus unable to be classified as successful NFL QBs who came out of an air raid offense, then could you tell us which QBs in the NFL qualify as consistent?  Seems like if you are throwing out guys like that they there can’t be more than a handfull.

N/A

54 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

This is why I was so high on us signing Brian Johnson from Philly.  I could see him replacing Kliff if there are any issues. I am more of a fan of Brian Johnson than I am Kliff. 

Edited by RWJ

15 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I am not dismissing them, I said consistent. I never said they were just wholly unsuccessful but some people were expecting the Cardinals to move on from Murray this season and before going to the Bucs, Baker was considered finished. The narrative was Ben Johnson "saved" Goff's career (I don't agree with that).  I'm also not a fan of looking at a few exceptions when looking at the average to come out of that offense.

Nobody finds it coincidental that both Maye and Howell's best season came in a really simple Air Raid offense? Then Maye struggled when the offense changed and what happened when Howell got to the NFL and had to actually read a defense? He had no idea what to do if it wasn't a scripted progression.

And also its not just about QBs coming from that offense, its also about running that offense in the NFL. There are remnants of it around the NFL but nobody runs it the way Kingsbury did (which was closer to college but to be fair not quite as stringent). Its why it has been pointed out a million times the Cardinals started out strong and then usually tanked midseason (and I do think some of the "Murray is dumb/can't read a defense" stuff came from Kingsbury's belief that a QB didn't need to know how to read a defense in his system).

My main point is hoping that Kingsbury has really evolved and honestly does a lot less air raid. Andy Reid uses a few concepts but his offense is far away from what Mahomes ran at Tech

Edited by ThatNFLChick

19 minutes ago, RWJ said:

N/A

This is why I was so high on us signing Brian Johnson from Philly.  I could see him replacing Kliff if there are any issues. I am more of a fan of Brian Johnson than I am Kliff. 

I am hoping the offense becomes a sort of blend of their styles. I just don't have much faith that the offense he ran when he was HC of the Cardinals can have sustained success. I was hoping he involved but the video of him saying he still thinks its not really necessary to be able to read a defense made me 🥴 Hopefully Brian and others have some influence. I really wish we had someone with experience running the WCO in house 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I am not dismissing them, I said consistent. I never said they were just wholly unsuccessful but some people were expecting the Cardinals to move on from Murray this season and before going to the Bucs, Baker was considered finished. The narrative was Ben Johnson "saved" Goff's career (I don't agree with that).  I'm also not a fan of looking at a few exceptions when looking at the average to come out of that offense.

Nobody finds it coincidental that both Maye and Howell's best season came in a really simple Air Raid offense? Then Maye struggled when the offense changed and what happened when Howell got to the NFL and had to actually read a defense? He had no idea what to do if it wasn't a scripted progression.

And also its not just about QBs coming from that offense, its also about running that offense in the NFL. There are remnants of it around the NFL but nobody runs it the way Kingsbury did (which was closer to college but to be fair not quite as stringent). Its why it has been pointed out a million times the Cardinals started out strong and then usually tanked midseason (and I do think some of the "Murray is dumb/can't read a defense" stuff came from Kingsbury's belief that a QB didn't need to know how to read a defense in his system).

My main point is hoping that Kingsbury has really evolved and honestly does a lot less air raid. Andy Reid uses a few concepts but his offense is far away from what Mahomes ran at Tech

That’s all fine, and I appreciate the detailed response, but you didn’t answer my question.

43 minutes ago, RWJ said:

N/A

I don’t understand this.

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Nice! Dude was on the Pats dynasty & also was a 3x Pro Bowler as a player. Has been Special Teams Coordinator or Asst. Special Teams Coordinator continuously since 2011... highly-pedigreed! Seems like a good hire. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Interesting... I went to Broad Run with Larry, sandwiched right between him and his older brother Lenny. Knew Lenny better, even if Larry and I had overlapping circles of friends. You wouldn't have called Ashburn "NoVa" at that time, especially since my family moved from the Loehman's Plaza area to Loudoun in early '87... :rofl89:

• Like 1