Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

18 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

That has been posted before but that does not align with his mic'd up at all. Does he seem introverted here to anyone?

Did you see the full video of Ben Johnson with Howell and others at the Senior Bowl?  Same vibe. Most coaches have that kind of personality out on the practice field. Doesn’t mean it’s their natural personality and doesn’t mean it translates to other aspects.  All any of us can do is speculate at this point.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Whoever is hired will be followed by a blizzard of "I trust the new regime" even if the people saying it really don't. The cope is going to be very strong.

I dont know about trust - trust is earned over time and this regime is literally just getting started. But its rational to give them the opportunity to earn that trust - and part of that is respecting decisions they make and not immediately flipping to 'same old' and other sky is falling reactions. Thats not to say we should not be questioning of decisions - coach, draft, free agency etc etc - but we have to give the time and judge on results.

Id be OK with Quinn  but not excited. A LOT would depend on who he brings in as OC and QB coach and then obviously the draft. I would prefer MacDonald as the guy with a possibly higher ceiling and a story still be written not one thats half way through.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

One more thing I'll add At the moment if I were choosing I'd go in this order

• MacDonald
  • Quinn
  • Glenn
  • Weaver

AFter that I think you reopen and restart the process, because if those are all misses, you need to rethink what you want and what you can expect for the next 3 years, and it may be we need a caretaker for a couple of years, and if so, then We don't take QB at #2 we resign brisette and keep Sam.    And rebuild the other positions, and come back next year.

3 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Why are facts sarcasm? Quinn went 0-5 in 2020 after 5 seasons with the falcons I don't think that's a good sign of a good coach yeah he had his run to the super bowl where Matt Ryan played lights out but I don't think it was Quinns schemes or anything that got them there. Kyle Shanahan. 

You know we had a coach in the 80s who started 0-5 right?  No good coach starts 0-5?  Really?

27 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Re: Macdonald’s personality.  Saw this on a Seahawks board, FWIW:

“The one thing I can guarantee is that Mike Macdonald will not be taking his shirt off in front of DK Metcalf at any time,” Hensley joked, referring to former Seahawks coach Pete Carroll’s infamous interaction with the wide receiver at the NFL combine in 2019.

Point being, if Macdonald comes to Seattle, his demeanor would be a departure from what the team and its fans have become accustomed to.

“He does not have that kind of personality. He even describes himself, and a lot of his family members describe him, as an introvert,” Hensley said. “He is not a guy that I think really excels or feels very comfortable in large group settings addressing, but he is smart and he knows how to get the best out of players and he can relate to players one on one.”

oh god. This paints the picture that it’s gonna be Quinn unless Macdonald has changed a ton since whenever this was said, or can show a different side of himself in the interview. This search committee doesn’t seem to be looking for the quiet confidence of raw football intelligence, just from the reports. 

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

You know we had a coach in the 80s who started 0-5 right?  No good coach starts 0-5?  Really?

You are missing my point Gibbs started 0-5....this clown ended 0-5 there a BIG difference. Maybe I just don't like him because hes part of the Cowboys...but still I don't think he will last more than 3 years here and we will all be much older until our next great hope. If you are a good defensive minded coach you don't lose the super bowl winning 28-3 with 2 quarters to play, and not having a start studded defense ready to play in the playoffs is enough for me to see that this guy may be just another average coach here. 

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

You are missing my point Gibbs started 0-5....this clown ended 0-5 there a BIG difference.

Yeah there were some calls in the papers for Gibbs head. Can’t even imagine what that would unfold like now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I dont know about trust - trust is earned over time and this regime is literally just getting started. But its rational to give them the opportunity to earn that trust - and part of that is respecting decisions they make and not immediately flipping to 'same old' and other sky is falling reactions. Thats not to say we should not be questioning of decisions - coach, draft, free agency etc etc - but we have to give the time and judge on results.

Id be OK with Quinn  but not excited. A LOT would depend on who he brings in as OC and QB coach and then obviously the draft. I would prefer MacDonald as the guy with a possibly higher ceiling and a story still be written not one thats half way through.

The actual regime I'm okay with. And the coaching cycle is the coaching cycle. Dan Quinn being a guy I'm not fond of being our coach getting hired wouldn't sour me on them. 

But, like you said, respect is earned. I am indifferent to the regime as it is. And will continue to be until there are enough data points to push me one way or another. While Quinn won't paint them negatively yet (he does need a chance to prove my initial thoughts wrong if he is the hire) it's a tilt towards not being great. 

We'll see.

I'm not sold on Quinn. He has been a part of some absolutely monumental collapses and has had really good offenses to go along with his defenses and has squandered them. He's also a Cowboy.

None of that dooms him. If he's hired I will say, "Don't like it, but let's see how he does and welcome to Thunder Dome".

• Like 1

Of course Quinn interviewed well. Most of the other candidates have never interviewed for a high level job like this -- they're going to be nervous, tripped out by certain questions. This isn't Quinn's first rodeo. He's been in dozens of these HC interviews, so he's seasoned at this ****. As an HR director, I'm always flabbergasted whenever a hiring manager gets excited over a candidate because they interviewed well. Great, their rehearsed speech and interpersonal skill impresses you. Wonderful. What's on their resume? What about strong references? 

Edited by BurgundyBooger
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

You are missing my point Gibbs started 0-5....this clown ended 0-5 there a BIG difference.

Your original statement made no distinction.  But even then, you really can't make generalization about a coach from a small sample size of W-L record.  Belichick lost almost every game towards the end the season in the lead up to his first firing in Cleveland.  What did that say about his competence?

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Whoever is hired will be followed by a blizzard of "I trust the new regime" even if the people saying it really don't. The cope is going to be very strong.

Some people, a very select few, will be genuinely jazzed about a Quinn hire. I won't be counted among them. But hell, maybe he works out and he becomes my favorite coach for this franchise of all time not named Gibbs. But I'm not going to look at the hire and say, "YES! THIS REGIME RULES!"

We will also continue to hear that Johnson wasn't a great candidate anyways and we didn't want or need him.

Johnson early was a great candidate on paper, but he’s basically admitted that he has no single minded drive to be a HC in 2024. So he’s not a great candidate is he. In fact, he was probably never a realistic candidate. 

What he is at present is a great OC with further potential at HC. However, he has basically outed himself. That’s not fan perception, it’s fact. He’s staying in Detroit.

Agree re Quinn. Seriously underwhelming outcome from the new regime, if it rolls that way.

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Your original statement made no distinction.  But even then, you really can't make generalization about a coach from a small sample size of W-L record.  Belichick lost almost every game towards the end the season in the lead up to his first firing in Cleveland.  What did that say about his competence?

Losing-Coach.jpg?w=500&q=75;)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

What made Seattle think it was going to work for Carroll?

That he had NFL experience but had really matured during his time at USC and had found his approach to coaching.

What made New England think it was going to work for Belichick?

That he was a noted genius/lifer who maybe was snake-bitten by working for a noted organizational disaster in Cleveland.

What made Kansas City think it was going to work for Reid?

That he was one of the most successful coaches of all time.

What made St. Louis think it was going to work for Dick Vermeil?

That one was odd only because Vermeil had been gone for so very long. But in isolation, Vermeil is one of the all-time "genius" coaches.

What made Indianapolis think it was going to work for Tony Dungy?

He'd been highly successful in Tampa Bay without a QB. They wanted him to repeat that except with an all-time great QB.

Or were these rhetorical questions?

• Like 4

I think we will know our next coach with in the next couple of hours. Peters is at the Senior Bowl so I'm assuming the negotiations is going down. I think we are waiting on Macdonald. If he chooses Seattle then we will go with Quinn.

When I look at Dan Quinn's career, I get less and less impressed.  His first 2 years as a DC, he had the #1 defense.  Ok, cool.  But then you see that Gus Bradley was really the architect.  They were a top 5-10 defense the 2 years before Quinn before Bradley left to coach the Jags.  

Then in 6 years in ATL, they were 20th or worse 4 times on defense.  The offense carried those teams.  The Dallas defense has definitely improved under him, but that doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies about being a HC again.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, justice98 said:

All the talent is on the offense.  They got Hutchinson, but Okudah didn't work out and there's not much else. 

I'd say that's quite accurate, but I still don't think he's really over performing his role by taking his D unit to 19th overall. Certainly not enough to be considered a great hire here.

Just now, justice98 said:

The Dallas defense has definitely improved observing him, but that doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies about being a HC again.

This and knowing Kyle Shanahan was a big part of the falcons making the super bowl in 2016, the big flop on defense in the playoffs this year has really soured it for me and Quinn as a head coach for this team. Id rather go with Belichek because I know we would have to sign either or to at least 5 years....

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

When I look at Dan Quinn's career, I get less and less impressed.  His first 2 years as a DC, he had the #1 defense.  Ok, cool.  But then you see that Gus Bradley was really the architect.  They were a top 5-10 defense the 2 years before Quinn before Bradley left to coach the Jags.  

Then in 6 years in ATL, they were 20th or worse 4 times on defense.  The offense carried those teams.  The Dallas defense has definitely improved observing him, but that doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies about being a HC again.

Exactly, Dan is Ron all over again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they go defensive head coach, I actually woulda liked Anthony Lynn as an OC candidate. But Kyle gave him that assistant HC title in SF, so they'd have to give him permission to leave for an OC gig. Which I don't foresee, I'm just sayin'. But maybe Peters can facilitate something. But a young, introverted type like Macdonald might need a vet coordinator, and Lynn has both coordinator and HC experience.  

But in 6 years at the HC/OC level, he's had a top half of the league offense 5 times.  I like that consistency.  The only knock is there's no real history of developing a rookie QB.  He had a well seasoned vet with the Chargers.  He did make a 26 year old Tyrod Taylor with little starting experience a viable starting QB for a few years though.  

37 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

But third? Based on what? They had a lot of those same horses three years ago and their defense was hot garbage. "They have a lot of horses" is still wildly arbitrary.

I am not thrilled with Quinn, but I am not dismissing him entirely like a 2nd Rivera, but a lot of coaches come in and are more successful in their second stint. 

They have a generational talent in Micah Parsons, I'd consider Diggs, Gilmore, Lawrence studs + good players in Hooker, Vanderesch (injuries permitting).

You do know as well as I do that expectations of the Dallas D was high based on their personnel, I'd say Quinn lead them to maybe meeting expectation, certainly not a bad DC by any stretch.

But can you tell me outside of we hear he may be liked by his players and is potentially a good leader why this organisation should put him at the helm to perform a rebuild? Because Ron was liked by players and from what I gather is actually a good leader, it just isn't enough in isolation.

I mean you persistently mention the word arbitrary and then throw out something like 'lots of coaches come in and are more successful in their second stint', but we know full well that lot's also fail so we can dance the dance, but I still see no other forthcoming reasons to support a Dan Quinn hire here.

Edited by BrentMeisterGeneral
  • Like 1

I admit, I was butthurt when I heard that Ben Johnson "shafted us" and stayed in Detroit.  I completely understand him pulling that **** last year.  I read an interview with Dan Campbell and he touched on the subject about backing out last year and wanting to learn more under him on head coaching stuff (not x's and o's) so he would be ready to make the next step and how he thinks he's done all that and would make a great coach (this is not verbatim, paraphrasing).  

We knew his resume with the Lions, what he/they accomplished, etc.  But him knowing how sought after he was and how committed at least two teams were (us and Seattle) waiting to basically make him offers and then shut it down and stay in Detroit was ****ing horrible.  Not because Macdonald or Glenn or Quinn wouldn't be good/great coaches here, but them being able to hire the best coaching staff possible is not happening this late (at least I don't think it will).

If we hire any of the three top names, I'd assume they will be calling the defense and bring in or promote someone to D coordinator just like Ben would have called the offense and brought one of his boys to be O coordinator.  But who in the hell is still available to be our OC now?  EB as a stop gap?  Are we now not picking a QB at #2?