Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Commanders confidently fly off to Detroit to interview their presumptive new head coach Ben Johnson...

image.thumb.png.efadce4af6203cde0903cd1ebab04788.png

"Hi ho...hi ho... off to Dee-troit we go...Ben Johnson's ours Ben Johnson's ours...hi ho, hi ho, hi ho!"

A few hours later after Johnson withdraws himself from contention...

image.thumb.png.7889cc024e3709734c32a1ba67eac81f.png

"Uhm...anybody got some smack? This malt liquor ain't getting the job done fast enough. Oh, and go ahead and hire that Quinn guy when you get a chance."

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This team is trash until the results on the field are better.  There's no other way to look at it.  

New owner?  Great, Dan is gone.  New GM?  Great, let's see what he can do.  

Until then, this team is trash.  Trash team in a trash stadium.  

In regards to being upset with the guy for ditching "us" during the plane ride...timing's never perfect.  Clearly, not many of you have been in the recruiting/hiring chair before.  The fact that OMG, THE COMMANDERS BRASS WAS IN THE AIR means nothing.  It means LESS than nothing.  Would you guys be whining about this if they were informed while they were on the tarmac instead?  Would that be better?

What this really tells me, if anything, is that Ben Johnson is not sure that he wants to be a head coach. He has to realize that this opportunity may never present itself again. The Lions offense could go in the tank next year, and he's missed his window.  Or the team could go in the tank over the next two years, Dan Campbell gets fired along with his staff, and he's out looking for an open position as a QB coach. 

Remember when people were talking a few years ago about how Scott Turner was an offensive genius, and how he could be the next Redskins assistant to be head coach elsewhere?  I guess he might be the Pats OC next year.

2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

I hold grudges. Hopefully Detroit goes 6-11 next season, I want nothing good for this spineless greedy tool.

Not too far fetched with them playing a 1st place schedule and the Packers on the rise in their own division as well.  It's always tough for teams to repeat as division champs.  Look at this division for example

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

In reality there hasn’t been a need to mention him for a week or so has there. It’s all been  focused on potential Detroit and Baltimore hires. I’m sure we were very hot on Johnson, but aside from that, no need to say anything re Slowik really.

Not saying he’s the guy either. Just speculating.

Keim has mentioned candidates who they are hot for as did Albright among others.  Yes they've mentioned other names besides Johnson.  Slowik has not been one of them. 

I think at this point he'd be the most shocking hire for me for two reasons.

A. Lack of buzz

B.  Based on his profile he so doesn't feel that leadership of men-motivator they supposedly crave

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim has mentioned candidates who they are hot for as did Albright among others.  Yes they've mentioned other names besides Johnson.  Slowik has not been one of them. 

I think at this point he'd be the most shocking hire for me for two reasons.

A. Lack of buzz

B.  Based on his profile he so doesn't feel that leadership of men-motivator they supposedly crave

Michael Phillips is reporting on the Take Command pod that he has heard Slowik has been eliminated

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For clarification

You quoted my post and referred to Hitman.  Hitman isn't me of course for those uninitiated.   

But to the rest of your post.  😎

If there is something to Ben's personality making him the underdog, be shocked if Slowik emerged.  It would be likey that nerdy kid struck out at the singles bar, but wonder if they even nerdier kid does better?  But will see -- maybe personality-leadership didn't do Johnson in.

I just don't buy Johnson thinking he has this in the bag and bowed out.  i am guessing he got word that someone who interviewed yesterday killed it or something like that.

Granted its just a guess.  But there are reporters guessing the same.

Yeah I have a feeling its Quinn too.  The Seattle reporter I listened to this morning said the team was very intrigued by McDonald because they are obsessed with beating SF and Mcdonald helped do that.  He still thought Johnson was higher on their list but thought Mcdonald had a strong shot.

Sheehan said today that he heard that the brass was very impressed with Quinn in his zoom interview.  

If it does end up being Quinn, we needs some concrete answers as to why he couldn't get it done in Atlanta with Kyle as his OC, him as the DC, and a franchise QB in Matt Ryan.  He was 1 game over .500 in 5 years.  And this was recently.  This does not scream to me a guy who can get it done.  He may be a leader of men, but you gotta be more than just that as a HC.  

I would trust this ownership group to obviously know more than me, but Quinn has to address this huge issue, and I'd want Harris to address why, in light of all this, they still felt Quinn could be THE GUY here.

And for me, if you go with him (a retread with a .500 record with all those tools in Atlanta), you BETTER be right, or this ownership group will have major doubt cast upon them.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Exactly.

I wanted Johnson too, but the way he's getting ****ted on for wanting to stay in a good situation is odd.

What he understands (and what plenty of people here seem to not understand, unfortunately) is that he'll always have an opportunity to be a head coach somewhere, as long as the Lions keep looking good.  And they're set up to be good for the next few years.  There's no reason why that guy should hop ship and come to a mess like ours.  Granted, new ownership, exciting new GM but there's still a lot to do and that guy can sit back in Detroit for another year, help guide that team to the playoffs and see what other opportunities are out there this time next year.

Some of you guys are acting like he turned down a primo head coaching opportunity in the NFL when that's not really the case.  

I think (and I include myself in this) that we have a generation of fans and analysts and journalists and talking heads who basically grew up playing Madden franchise mode and THIS opportunity is what you kill for in that situation. It’s how most of us would prioritize a landing spot for ourselves. Blank slate! Hot new talent evaluator GM hired by an owner willing to spend and improve everything, including new facilities and new stadium in the coming years! $100M in cap space! Extra draft capital! #2 overall pick to draft a legitimately highly thought of QB prospect! Remake the squad in your image and become a legend! 

Now a lot of that DOES make this a great opportunity for the right HC candidate. But it doesn’t make it broadly appealing to everyone. And it’s not the best fit for everyone. And frankly, you don’t want the painter who looks at that pile of supplies and brushes and can’t see the Sistine Chapel he’ll paint. Find the guy who does, and who can sell you on it and has the reputation and qualified peers willing to follow him into that project…that’s your man. 

I’m not going to pretend I’m not disappointed, but the absolute #1 thing you need in your ideal candidate is for them to have an unwavering faith and belief in their ability to build something special here. It’s trite and seems like a bull**** self-fulfilling prophecy, but whether we wanted him or not, Ben Johnson not wanting to be here enough to risk not being offered the job after the interview he would have had—that itself is disqualifying. It means he wasn’t the guy. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, method man said:

Michael Phillips is reporting on the Take Command pod that he has heard Slowik has been eliminated

Wow, I know we live in violent times but for an NFL coach to be whacked seems a bit extreme...

Wonder if it was a car bomb? Garrotting? Thrown from a 10th story window? Forced to listen to an Amway sales pitch?

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, method man said:

They killed him???

Josh ain't playing anymore he's running the team like an o.g.

They ain't gonna give any more of these jokers a chance to embarrass them by dropping out.

From now on all offers are coming Luca Brasi style as in-- "either your brains or your signature is gonna be on this contract."

image.thumb.png.aba85a275f07e8ab2c158578eac5aa24.png

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Even removing Bill B, of the past 15 SB champions 6 were coaches at their first stop and 5 were on their 2nd or 3rd team.

It's 6 vs 6 if you include Bill. 

First stops

McVay

Pederson

Tomlin

Sean Payton

Mike McCarthy

John Harbaugh

Non first team 

Reid (fired in PHI)

Carroll (Fired in NE and NYJ)

Kubiak (Fired in HOU)

Arians (Retired in AZ)

Coughlin (Fired in JAX)

If it's Quinn he could be Ken WHisenhunt or he could be Pete Carroll there's no guarantee either way.

• Like 3