Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Another problem with being second to interview him is if Seattle decides to offer him the job he now has a bird in the hand versus two in the bush.

If he decides to pass it up it could cost him a year of his life and ten million dollars.

There's nothing logistically good about us being second here.

Isn’t the key factor in all of this his actual desire to be here ? If he goes to Seattle whilst knowing we want him, then why would we cry over that. We need to be his first choice destination, otherwise I’d prefer someone else, I guess….

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Isn’t the key factor in all of this his actual desire to be here ? If he goes to Seattle whilst knowing we want him, then why would we cry over that. We need to be his first choice destination, otherwise I’d prefer someone else, I guess….

Well that's what the interviews are for, Seattle just may convince him that's where he wants to be and we won't have a chance to even pitch him.

Or they may decide they're not a fit in which case we'll have a chance to do the same.

No matter how you slice it going first is advantageous and it's likely we were never the front runners to begin with or he would have scheduled his interview with us first. 

If i had two potential jobs lined up and one was more desirable than the other I'd schedule the more desirable one first and use the other as a fallback.

30 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

So is Slowik deemed out of the race. Didn’t he have a couple of strong interviews with us ?

I recall that was a tweet that he had a strong interview with Atlanta.  The next day Morris was hired. I think the "strong" stuff gets leaked by the coach's agent.  It's their job to put positive spin.  Not saying it was strong or weak I got no idea.  But paying attention to the info on coaching searches I am learning the sources are often the agents of these coaches.

As for this team at least at this point, ZERO buzz about Slowik here.  I can't recall a single beat guy mention anything relating to them being hot on Slowik.  

Seems to me Johnson, McDonald or Quinn.  If it ends up anyone else, it would be a shocker at least judging by buzz.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Well that's what the interviews are for, Seattle just may convince him that's where he wants to be and we won't have a chance to even pitch him.

Or they may decide they're not a fit in which case we'll have a chance to do the same.

No matter how you slice it going first is advantageous and it's likely we were never the front runners to begin with or he would have scheduled his interview with us first. 

If i had two potential jobs lined up and one was more desirable than the other I'd schedule the more desirable one first and use the other as a fallback.

That isnt necessarily true. Johnson likely didnt schedule the interviews. The Seahawks and Commanders did. Commies couldnt get there till Tuesday so scheduled for Tuesday. Seattle got there today so scheduled accordingly. 

Assuming Seattle comes hard after him, then Johnson and his agent know he is the first choice for both teams. He’s not going to sign a take it or leave it offer without talking to us first. If he does, he needs to find a new agent. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm a dude who put stock in the idea that Ben was not a 100% lock (very likely tho) and that Schefty info still sent a shiver down my spine.

Schefty is law and if he says it can go a diff direction, it can absolutely go a diff direction.

Yeah me too, I've not been in the camp saying its a lock either.  But i thought its very likely going to Johnson.

Schefter's comments, coupled with Keim's insistence its not a lock, and the idea that Johnson might be the #1 desire from Seattle -- all makes it feel more up in the air than it did before.

I'd get a rush if its Johnson.  Actually McDondald, too.  Quinn would feel dissappointing but I'd get over it, I don't think he's a bad choice but he's not whom I want.

7 minutes ago, redskinss said:

If i had two potential jobs lined up and one was more desirable than the other I'd schedule the more desirable one first and use the other as a fallback.

But it's likely more profitable in this case to do it the other way around. 

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Another problem with being second to interview him is if Seattle decides to offer him the job he now has a bird in the hand versus two in the bush.

If he decides to pass it up it could cost him a year of his life and ten million dollars.

There's nothing logistically good about us being second here.

I think everyone is overthinking this.  Reality is there are only two HC jobs left and Johnson knows, with almost 100% certainty, that both are going to be offered to him and he takes the one he likes.  There are other factors to consider, like uprooting his family and moving them to a new city.  

Now that the Lions are out of the playoffs, he knows he doesn't have to make a decision immediately and will most likely not make a decision until he has offers from both teams and has a chance to explore both the positives/negatives of the two offers.

Being second doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.  He had nothing but positive things to say about Peters in regards to his zoom interview.  I seriously doubt he takes the first offer on the table without giving us a chance to make him one.  If anything, to negotiate salary and other responsibilities.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Whats the downside to Johnson telling the Seahawks Ill interview with the Commanders first? They are going to yank his offer? Even if they try to grab him, he might as well wait and do both interviews.

He doesn’t schedule the interviews, his agent does. You wanna maintain professionalism and not burn bridges with anyone.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Whats the downside to Johnson telling the Seahawks Ill interview with the Commanders first? They are going to yank his offer? Even if they try to grab him, he might as well wait and do both interviews.

hed be stupid no to do so.  Even if he wants Seattle over WSH he can use the WSH offer as leverage and get more from Seattle.  It would be stupid to take Seattle's offer without interviewing with the commanders even if Sea is his #1 choice.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Because he's professional and wants to field two offers and make an informed decision on which job he truly wants?  He may be leaning towards us and wants to give Seattle a chance to make him a pitch, if anything to tell us what they are offering and negotiate a higher salary if our offer isn't close to what they offer him?

I really don't think he accepts an offer from Seattle before receiving one from us.

Just now, CapsSkins said:

What message do you think Ben Johnson's agent wants out there?

It could be that Washington wants him so bad it’s a lock. Then Seattle reacts with a larger contract. When in reality who knows what we want. From what I gather on here it’s leadership 

Just now, mh86 said:

Smart move by the ownership in interviewing Johnson and glen in Detroit. Don’t let them see how bad our facilities look.

Harris can easily work in that hes planning on new facilities and upgrades and ask Johnson what hed like to see in the facilities.  Let him feel like hes helping to shape this franchise in the longrun

• Like 1