Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’m seeing a lot of folks advocate for defensive coaches and quite frankly I’m surprised.

I think defensive coaches are fine head coaches. In most cases I think looking into them is incredibly intelligent.

Here, though? I have reservations. Why?

Well, we’re going to take a QB at 2 overall. You don’t want to hire a defensive coach, have the OC and QB have a good year together and watch the OC leave for a HC position.

A rookie’s development is too important to play around with hope.

We need our HC to be our OC and paired with our new quarterback for long term sustainable success…

The only reason I wouldn’t hire an OC as HC is if the offensive candidates aren’t remotely close in qualifications. I don’t believe that to be the case.

There's also the reality, that you know, you win in this league with offense, and then effective defense. It's exceptionally hard to win with defense because nearly all the rule changes of the past 3 decades have impacted defensives negatively and offenses positively. You want a coach that can exploit that trend, and a DC that can build an effective defense w/in those rules changes. Seems a no brainer to me, and we also need to remember that vaunted Bellichek and his defenses became largely irrelevant the second he no longer had quarterbacking. Hell look at how the Browns season went versus the Jets. One team had a backup that took over after disaster struck in Flacco, another had nobody, one defense went to the cemetary, the other is expected to win this weekend and push to the divisional round.

I don't get it, at all. I get the importance of a great DC, especially w/us using two dinosaurs from the defensive end to run the team and the D for years, but we need young, smart, modern blood coaches who know how to build a winner within this framework, while being lead by someone who can guide this offense forward which will determine success or lack thereof. 

I would not hire a DC in a million years to be HC. It strikes me as crazy but maybe that's just me. Give me the brightest offensive mind for HC, and the brightest young mind for DC, acknowleding that rebuilding this defense is going to take 3 years, and this offense will take at least 2. It's a long term tear down and rebuild. There's no quick fix here. The team blundered horribly in the first round in every single draft of the Ron era, taking Chase over a QB, taking a speculative LB project over a QB in '21, taking a late 1st round #2 WR in the teens in '22 (who I still think could be fine given time but will never be worth his draft slotting), and moronically taking a guy over Gonzalez (or a trade down or out last year). It will take years to fix their blunders, thankfully we have 1.5 worth of assets in a normal 1.0 asset draft, w/the extra 2nds and 3rds, and picking high in each round. Hopefully we can get the rebuild largely done by the summer of '26, '25 if we're insanely lucky (I'm highly doubtful of that, every single positional cohort needs rebuilding except DT, and even that one will age out before we're competitive. 

• Like 1

When was the last time we hired the best candidate at any coach or FO position? I don't count Gibbs II since that was so out of nowhere and there was no chance he was gonna be a candidate anywhere else.

Maybe Marty in 2001?

• Like 3

• Koolblue13 changed the title to Moving Towards the Future of our Front Office. Additions, Changes and Speculation - Adam Peters Hired as GM!

Such a huge hire... So happy not just because we hired Peters who I wanted and by all accounts was one of if not the best available but happy because this franchise is doing it the right way for the first time in decades.  Thank you Lord.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3