Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

I could see them hiring:

1) Dawn Aponte in a Prez or VP Football Ops role given her executive experience

2) Hortiz or Cunningham as GM with a more scouting/personnel background

3) Eugene Shen already here to run analytics

Those three positions each speak to distinct pillars of running a FO. Executive management, relationship and eye-test driven scouting, and quantitative analytics. I'd be very pleased with a structure like that. 

Same.  I think that’s ideal.  I expect something similar to that will be the way Harris goes.

32 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Remember that VP of Football OPS has more power than the GM.  

Worth noting for sure. But I think some GM candidates may be fine with that. Some might want to focus on scouting & roster construction and would be happy to let someone else take care of the administrative side.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I could see them hiring:

2) Hortiz or Cunningham as GM

Keim in Bram's show said something along the lines of his educated guess would be this. He specifically mentioned Aponte by name. I got out of the car before he mentioned GM names. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Although my choice would Cunningham and Johnson for GM and HC going after Hortiz and Macdonald is not a bad idea, but the issue becomes who they choose to be the OC especially with a rookie QB.

Well a rookie OC and rookie QB has worked out pretty well in Houston if it goes that way. 

• Like 1

I’d love Hortiz. I don’t love the idea of a defensive HC, but if we chose one, Mike Macdonald has been awesome this season. The downside is that we might not have the same caliber offensive coordinator and if we get a great one, he will be hired as a HC. I guess the upside is, that Macdonald could probably field an average defensive unit in his sleep without having great personnel. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’d love Hortiz. I don’t love the idea of a defensive HC, but if we chose one, Mike Macdonald has been awesome this season. The downside is that we might not have the same caliber offensive coordinator and if we get a great one, he will be hired as a HC. I guess the upside is, that Macdonald could probably field an average defensive unit in his sleep without having great personnel. 

Freddie Kitchens is someone I’d look at as OC if they do indeed go with Macdonald. Especially if they believe they’ll end up with Maye.

Anyhoo, here is six minutes from two national guys who are so off the mark it’s comical.

22 hours ago, RWJ said:

Those names have been tied to us.  I would never bull jive anyone unless I said I was kidding and in this case I am not. I have never heard of Dawn Aponte in my life until she was mentioned in a tweet and then I read about her in a Ben Standig article.  She has great qualifications, and she might want the GM title too.  She will be interviewed and someone highly respected.  That's good.  We need that in the organization.  Others will be interviewed.  I personally like a VP of Football Ops and a GM, then a HC.  We shall see soon enough.  :) 

From what has been said about Aponte recently, she would be a great VP of Ops and she has over 30yrs of Cap Management so could handle that or a team on that easily.  Would love an assistant GM from great orgs like Balt, Buff, Phi, SF as our new GM to be in charge of personnel and run the scouting department.  Those two work together on a HC and let him pick his assistants.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

From what has been said about Aponte recently, she would be a great VP of Ops and she has over 30yrs of Cap Management so could handle that or a team on that easily.  Would love an assistant GM from great orgs like Balt, Buff, Phi, SF as our new GM to be in charge of personnel and run the scouting department.  Those two work together on a HC and let him pick his assistants.

All for it RF but I posted back a bit ago, articles dating back to 2013 about her wanting to be a GM.  So, to me that would mean VP of Football OPS and GM.  Maybe I am out of bounds.  We shall see soon enough.  

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Freddie Kitchens is someone I’d look at as OC if they do indeed go with Macdonald. Especially if they believe they’ll end up with Maye.

Anyhoo, here is six minutes from two national guys who are so off the mark it’s comical.

Uh Florio makes me vomit!  

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Hearing about Keim's podcast today from @Skinsinparadise Shen MIGHT have an issue with someone inside the Raven's org.  I posted to him and said hopefully, it wasn't Hortiz.  Who knows but if we did hire Hortiz and MacDonald, I trust they would pick the right OC for the team.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I get rose colored glasses but somebody in PR remembers Ryan very fondly.

Yep, he was clearly better than any of us gave him credit for...he's now a 1st ballot no doubt hall of famer. Slide over Prime Time.

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

One thing for sure 

Patrick Queen if he reaches free agency might come here . 

51 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Than she’s qualified ! I’m liking more and more about her reputation. 

7 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I could see them hiring:

2) Hortiz or Cunningham as GM with a more scouting/personnel background

3) Eugene Shen already here to run analytics

Those three positions each speak to distinct pillars of running a FO. Executive management, relationship and eye-test driven scouting, and quantitative analytics. I'd be very pleased with a structure like that. 

I could see Dawn Aponte actually being the “ceo” type role and running business ops (replacing Wright) but also running football ops, hiring the GM and the Coach.  

So basically the head of the organization who delegates to different subordinates for their particular area.

And I’d be fine with that.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I could see Dawn Aponte actually being the “ceo” type role and running business ops (replacing Wright) but also running football ops, hiring the GM and the Coach.  

So basically the head of the organization who delegates to different subordinates for their particular area.

And I’d be fine with that.  

Absolutely. Basically a "Team President" role that spans both football and biz-related sides, with the GM reporting to her but having latitude to run scouting, personnel, draft, etc. and the HC reporting to the GM.

Some GMs are also Team Presidents, but not all. For example, the Caps recently promoted GM Brian MacLellan into the President role and he's now both Prez and GM. The additional duties are largely biz-related.

Hortiz and Cunningham seem like great football guys but don't really have any experience in executive management. They worked their way up the scouting ranks.

This distinction is particularly relevant for our franchise given the labor intensive stadium process and a potential re-brand on the way. Let Hortiz or Cunningham or whomever focus on building a roster, not a stadium!

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 4

Just now, CapsSkins said:

Absolutely. Basically a "Team President" role that spans both football and biz-related sides, with the GM reporting to her but having latitude to run scouting, personnel, draft, etc. and the HC reporting to the GM.

Some GMs are also Team Presidents, but not all. For example, the Caps recently promoted GM Brian MacLellan into the President role and he's now both Prez and GM. The additional duties are largely biz-related.

Hortiz and Cunningham seem like great football guys but don't really have any experience in executive management. They worked their way up the scouting ranks. 

I’ve been all in for having an executive over both the GM and the HC and having the GM and the HC on the same line on the org chart for 20 years.  I’ve never understood why people want the coach to work for the GM or the GM working for the coach.  Both are not ideal.  

With the nfl not allowing in person interviews with coaches employed by other teams until after the divisional round of playoffs; the hope is that this extends and widens the hiring cycle. The hope the owners will cast a wider search and consider minorities.

I will say this rule won’t make one bit of difference.  If the owner/Gm is locked onto a candidate; they will still try to hire that candidate.  They will interview 2 minorities since the Rooney rule requires it but that won’t deter them from hiring their preferred candidate.

If EB gets an interview with us, it will only be to satisfy the Rooney rule.

Since we can’t do in person interviews for coaches on other teams until after the divisional round(1/22); that gives us time to get the right Gm in place.

I can see the nfl not wanting that distraction since the coaches garnering the most interest, are coaches in the playoffs. So, after 2 weeks we go from 14 playoff teams to just 4.

27 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Nothing on you, ATG but I am so sick and tired of hearing about BB.  His success can be attributed to Tom Brady.  We've seen what he is w/o him.  He stinks.  A 70 something HC that knows nothing about analytics.  No thank you!  Retired Bill!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Nothing on you, ATG but I am so sick and tired of hearing about BB.  His success can be attributed to Tom Brady.  We've seen what he is w/o him.  He stinks.  A 70 something HC that knows nothing about analytics.  No thank you!  Retired Bill!!!!!!!!!!

In this article, Russini mentions the Commander’s are keeping tabs on his situation.

• Thumb up 1

31 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

In this article, Russini mentions the Commander’s are keeping tabs on his situation.

That's very disappointing to hear.

If we go that route, I'm afraid I'll be done with this team. Will demonstrate that Harris is just Snyder in different clothing.

5 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

That's very disappointing to hear.

If we go that route, I'm afraid I'll be done with this team. Will demonstrate that Harris is just Snyder in different clothing.

Hiring a cheater on and off the field sounds snyderesque, no way, Russini is out of her mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My money is on Keim over Russini.  Keim doesn't expect them to chase Belichick.  Having said that, not crazy to interview him.  Belichick is a smart dude.  Especially considering he played this team, I'd be curious about what he thinks about the roster.  But i wouldn't hire him.

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 11.27.10 AM.png

• Like 2